5 replies to this topic

#1 Haguesail

Haguesail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

We're looking at a new boat for our shorthanded racing (some long offshores, middle distance inshore in UK/Holland area) and one of the candidates has Tacktick instruments but no autopilot. On our current First 35 we went with Tacktick instruments and Raymarine Smartpilot and chartplotter, with the Smartpilot unit once dying under warranty (good customer service from Raymarine), and occasionally the two systems having a communications issue. The latter is cleared by power-cycling everything, PITA in the middle of a race.

Any comments or experience getting Tacktick to work with an NKE Gyropilot? The AP is pricey enough alone, much less with the instrument package.

Any furthther comments on getting Tacktick and Raymarine to play nicely together?

Many Thanks,

Chris

#2 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

You would think that with Raymarine now owning Tacktick, you would get a lot of support. I have an email with a Tacktick question into Raymarine that has been ignored since they sent the autoreply that they had received it and would be getting back to me. My understanding is that there is one guy from Tacktick that came with the purchase, and he understands and supports the product- everyone else, not so much.

#3 LeoV

LeoV

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

It works without problem. Has been used for yrs on a minitransat, and he won his class.

#4 diggler

diggler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

So is the schpiel I keep hearing about nmea being too slow for the NKE gyropilot to work to its full potential bollocks or is the mini doing something special?

#5 LeoV

LeoV

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

He did not do anything special, asked him about it as I heard that too. More minis have been doing this.
(i did sell minis, so installed 20 or more of them with al kind of AP combinations...)

#6 diggler

diggler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

Thanks for sharing that tidbit, it is most interesting. I would very much like to have a pilot of NKE quality at some point but there is zero chance I am shelling out for the entire instrument system to go with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users