5 replies to this topic

#1 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

So it's winter, the boats out and it's time to top up the repair kit.

We use the old style C-size Battcars and Battslides. The main has 6 full length battens with intermediate luff cars in between. All cars are ball bearing using 3/8" Derlin balls, no sliders. The Battcars use the "hat" bearing; shorter battens ride on a Battcar with 1/2" (10mm) hats, longer battens use a 5/8" (12mm) hats. The Schaefer elbows diameters are 3/8" for the shorter battens and 1/2" for the langer battens.

My questions are:
1) What plastic does Harken use for the "hat sections"?
2) Schaefer no longer makes the "elbows". Harken makes an elbow but it is only 10mm, which is fine for the shorter battens but not large enough for the longer battens that use a 12 mm elbow. Anyone know where to get these?
3) The new design elbow is screwed into the Battslide, whereas the old design is pinned. Will there be interference with the luffrope changing to the new elbow?
4) Any reason to move up to Torlon balls for the cars?

Sorry to post a dull and techinical request but I'll add tits if required.

if Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Anomaly2

Anomaly2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building small boats...

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

What do you mean IF....?

#3 nobody.really

nobody.really

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

Did you ever get the info you needed? I would post this in the Gear forum. I recently talked to Harken directly about a similar issue for the same vintage cars, but smaller, so don't have the same exact problem. I just asked for technical support. I've been told the new Torlon ball bearings are an expensive item. They sell a loading tool but I've never used one. I assume you know they are not captive and will go everywhere if you don't have the little plastic thingy to trap them in the car when you pull them off the track. The person I talked to was knowledgeable and answered all my questions providing part numbers where needed. I'd give them a call. The US number is 1 (262) 691-3320. They are in Wisconsin / CST.

And the new captive ball cars won't work on the old track but you probably know that already. The sliders will though.

#4 DDW

DDW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

Not sure what you mean by the "hat" bearing - are you talking about the flanged sleeve bearing that takes the pin or bolt on the car? That is going to be Delrin or PE, readily available in a variety of sizes and easily made to any size.

Torlon is a lot stronger and stiffer than Delrin, also seems to be more UV resistant. However if the Delrin balls have held up without flattening or other complaint, the extra strength may do no good.

If you want to replace the balls with Torlon, I recommend buying them from McMaster, they will be waaayyy cheaper than Harken. 3/8 Torlon are about $10 for 15 balls (v.s. $15 for 100 if you want Delrin) - check that against Harken.

#5 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

So anyway, this car style (the end cap retained bearing) has been retired and new replacement cars are not available, components; plastic end caps, balls and a 10 mm stud are available. We use the 10 and 12 mm stud with the "elbow" joint rather then the new toggle design. Replacement will require new track and cars.

We are still undecided which way to go but building the new main in a couple years will force our hand.

I'm suprised Harken has orphaned these cars. You would think they would build the new toggle designs on the old cars thus allowing those needing replacements an option.

We use MCMaster Carr for some items, very handy.

#6 nobody.really

nobody.really

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

Not sure what you mean by the "hat" bearing - are you talking about the flanged sleeve bearing that takes the pin or bolt on the car? That is going to be Delrin or PE, readily available in a variety of sizes and easily made to any size.

Torlon is a lot stronger and stiffer than Delrin, also seems to be more UV resistant. However if the Delrin balls have held up without flattening or other complaint, the extra strength may do no good.

If you want to replace the balls with Torlon, I recommend buying them from McMaster, they will be waaayyy cheaper than Harken. 3/8 Torlon are about $10 for 15 balls (v.s. $15 for 100 if you want Delrin) - check that against Harken.

Good to know DDW. Thanks.

Anyone know the part number for the old headboard car assembly, Series A? Or even better, where one might be for sale? I posted this in Gear too. TIA http://forums.sailin...howtopic=141643

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users