73 replies to this topic

#1 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:21 AM

I saw this one at the dock in Sidney, BC, about 6 years ago, when it was for sale. It looked tired then but it was still a beautiful boat. Now it's in Mazatlan with a shitload of work done to it.

Posted Image

http://www.yachtworl...Mazatlan/Mexico

Somebody talk me out of it.

#2 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:44 AM

Well, Your only young once.

That's a whole lota boat for 50K

Just do it.

#3 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,122 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:48 AM

C&C 39? One of the very best designs of all time.

#4 Slick470

Slick470

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:50 AM

C&C 39? One of the very best designs of all time.

Funny, I swear I've read that somewhere...

#5 Diarmuid

Diarmuid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:21 AM

Yowza! Arrest-me-red. It's your color, Ish.

Somebody talk me out of it.

Yeah, right. We're here to enable. Days are getting shorter. Life is getting shorter. Go the Red Boat!

#6 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:50 AM

"I believe mine is faster than yours than yours Mr bond cause mines a red one".

#7 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:22 AM

Tofino weather now http://www.theweathe...eather/cabc0295

Mazatlan weather now http://weather.yahoo...zatlÃĄn-133233/

C&C 39 in good shape..... in Mazatlan now, in November, priceless...

#8 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:54 AM

Only flipped through the pics but it looks pretty tidy, if it hits your sweet spot, go for it. I am sure you could fill a crew easily up the West coast, a CA tag team event with live tracking and Worst Sammies.

#9 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

Repowered four years ago, a little light on sail inventory....buy it now, before someone else does.

#10 SereneSpeed

SereneSpeed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:this stuff and other stuff

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

Ish, now is not the time to ask: "should I buy this?"

In a week once you've had it surveyed, and sipped Margarita's on the beach with your wife, that's when you brag to us ask us.

Do it.

#11 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

I was going to say when I want something that looks decent and it's for sale.....don't show your hand and never say a word till your the owner.

#12 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

Only flipped through the pics but it looks pretty tidy, if it hits your sweet spot, go for it. I am sure you could fill a crew easily up the West coast, a CA tag team event with live tracking and Worst Sammies.

The idea is to keep a boat in Mexico for the winter and a boat in BC for the summer, so there's no major bashing up the coast involved. If we were only going to have one boat we could go for something a little more upscale, like a Nordic 44.
I agree with Boomer that in normal circumstances nobody would know anything until it was in my pocket, like our purchase of the 35. I don't know why I'm vacillating on this one, but I don't have the certainty I did with the 35. I'm still waiting for someone to come up with some good reasons why not, or even better, a better choice. When I hear from the broker what "galley repairs" entail, then I'll have a better idea.

Edit: and the fact that it has a custom Perry rudder is a Very Good Thing.

#13 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,122 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

We did a new rudder for an East Coast 39 and then we soild the design to another 39 owner. I have a good friend who sailed his 39 all over the south Pacific with the original rudder. Can;t recall him ever complaining about the rudder.
If I were to pick my all time Top Ten production boats the C&C would be somewhere very near the top. There isn't an ugly line on that boat. I remember when John Newton campaigned his PACHENA in the PNW years ago. He was unbeatable for a while.

#14 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

(Catching up after a very busy week)

Buy the boat Ish, she looks like a keeper!

#15 Beer Fueled Mayhem

Beer Fueled Mayhem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

You could put a contract on her!

#16 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,150 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

And then we could dicuss food some more!

#17 4knotSB

4knotSB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

This thread started at 10:21 last night. The boat is bought by now, right?

#18 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

Not by me...I have bought one boat sight unseen, it worked out great but I'm not going to do that again. It's $1000 just to go have a look.

#19 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,122 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

Bit Ish, if the boat turns out to be a dud you can swim in the surf, sit on the beach in your bathing suit, eat some fresh snapper, drink Tequila, watch the girls go buy, eat another snapper and think about how you wasted the time. If you did that for 5 days you might feel better.

#20 4knotSB

4knotSB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

Not by me...I have bought one boat sight unseen, it worked out great but I'm not going to do that again. It's $1000 just to go have a look.

Yeah, but it's on the Internet. It must be okay.

#21 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

The J37 we flew down to San Diego to look at was on the internet, too. It was a piece of shit.

#22 Diarmuid

Diarmuid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

This thread started at 10:21 last night. The boat is bought by now, right?

Only a complete fool would act so impulsively. :unsure:

:lol:

#23 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

I'll add my voice- that is one great boat design, and the price is nice too. Of course you might consider a trailerable trimaran, and just drive back and forth, or if you prefer catamarans . . . .

Attached File  onroof.jpg   90.7K   32 downloads

#24 4knotSB

4knotSB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

I wonder how they unhook the straps after they back down the boat ramp to make it float. Is there a Youtube?

#25 Anomaly2

Anomaly2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building small boats...

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

Don't laugh. This guy is a VERY accomplished multi-huller. From the Vancouver area if I remember correctly. I've lost the URL for his write-up of this particular adventure but it is a great read. The craft was designedt to be "street legal" for a trip to Mexico on top of a Craigslist throwaway car. At one point, he gets pulled over in Calif by the cops. After they measure the beam, the CHP guy is so taken with the guy's story and personality that he poses for a picture with him.

#26 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

The idea is to keep a boat in Mexico for the winter and a boat in BC for the summer, so there's no major bashing up the coast involved. If we were only going to have one boat we could go for something a little more upscale, like a Nordic 44.
I agree with Boomer that in normal circumstances nobody would know anything until it was in my pocket, like our purchase of the 35. I don't know why I'm vacillating on this one, but I don't have the certainty I did with the 35. I'm still waiting for someone to come up with some good reasons why not, or even better, a better choice. When I hear from the broker what "galley repairs" entail, then I'll have a better idea.

Oh I see, joining the jet set. Hey its a cheap holiday house and maybe some under the table charters to mates to cover expenses?

#27 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

Oh I see, joining the jet set. Hey its a cheap holiday house and maybe some under the table charters to mates to cover expenses?

Funny you should mention that...when I mentioned this boat on our C&C owners email list, I had six people willing to go in on it within a couple of hours.

I still haven't heard any negative voices (including my wife), I'm starting to get nervous.

#28 slap

slap

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

I wonder how they unhook the straps after they back down the boat ramp to make it float. Is there a Youtube?

It's simple - unhook the straps, drive fast towards the water, and slam on the brakes as you get to the water edge.

Just don't forget to tie a line on the boat or it will drift away when it lands.

#29 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

Don't laugh. This guy is a VERY accomplished multi-huller. From the Vancouver area if I remember correctly. I've lost the URL for his write-up of this particular adventure but it is a great read. The craft was designedt to be "street legal" for a trip to Mexico on top of a Craigslist throwaway car. At one point, he gets pulled over in Calif by the cops. After they measure the beam, the CHP guy is so taken with the guy's story and personality that he poses for a picture with him.

+1

http://turtleislands...mc/default.html

Attached File  theboys.jpg   108.99K   35 downloads

Attached File  departsf3.jpg   30.67K   29 downloads

#30 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:14 AM

Okay ... having read that you would consider keeping it in Mexico ... hmm. For months at a time you will be thousand of miles away, and they do have hurricanes down there. At some point, just like a vacation property, does the upkeep and hassle start to overtake the fact that it is there? What about taking the money you would spend on purchase plus upkeep and travel to get there and, instead, travel somewhere different every year and charter with some friends? How does a week on the Canal du Midi between Castlenaudary and Beziers sound? Just a different perspective.

My wife and I were just having that very conversation. A week sounds great. 6 months sounds better. The only reasonable way to spend that amount of time is to own. If it was just for two weeks at a go, I'd charter in a heartbeat. The discussion on the home front continues...

As to the hurricane thing, they do seem to have things under control, for the most part. There are lots of boats stored dry and wet. Plus my sister owns a house near where we would keep it.

#31 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:51 AM

Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it NOW!

Hmmmm, let's see... a ponderable boat in BC a few years back is now for sale with mucho improvements in Mexico today...
Put up or shut up. If this sin;t the time to pull the trigger then this is the the time to admit you are not really a player, and tend to your garden and whatever else your wife tells you to do around the patch of dirt to which you are apparently permanently attached.

#32 Anomaly2

Anomaly2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:01 AM

BL's the shy kid around here who struggles to express himself directly....

#33 slap

slap

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:21 AM

Ish,

Better hurry up - what would you do if reis123 put a contract on that boat?

#34 WarBird

WarBird

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:38 AM

Talk with any sailor for twenty minutes and at some point he or she will say "I wish I would have..."

#35 Balder

Balder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, and currently trying to configure my career to sail more, may be able to pull it off.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:03 AM

My first offshore experience was a sister ship, Blackwatch. Have done RTC and Swiftsure on her.

We once sailed over the bar at Eureka, in a storm, in the dark, with only the coastal chart on paper or plotter. The engine was overheating so we had the engine to go up the channel, but didn't want to turn it on until after transiting the bar. (it was a clogged strainer -after we had motored for a couple of days, watching all the weed float by ) :blink: :wacko: :unsure: :( that's the experienced idiot crew trying to figure out the engine,you must guess which one is me! After I downloaded the coast pilot the next day we discovered you are supposed to call the USCG before crossing in heavy weather.

She is a great sailor. She rides well under sail or power, and at the dock too. I don't know if she had the custom rudder. Although I think a max-prop would be in order.

Here are two pictures from RTC 2007. We came home in a full gale that year and had to dock at Squalicum with gusts over 50 hitting.

It does seem like a great deal. I know blackwatch cost a lot more than that, and prob not so nice as this at the time. Galley repairs would have to be pretty substantial to flip the deal I think.

Attached File  21037_1307922652981_4185793_n.jpg   26.93K   39 downloads Attached File  21037_1307922532978_4684577_n.jpg   59.26K   42 downloads

#36 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:48 AM

Bill Nelson did really well with Black Watch back when he owned her. The Cal 39s are great boats. Sounds like an opportunity Ish, and if you don't like her you probably won't have a hard time selling her. I'd definitely fly down for an eyes on inspection though just to be sure.

#37 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

Whether its a C&C, Cal or Roberts, Ish, think of it more like a condo rather than your pride and joy. Its a place in Mexico.

It will be left in other hands much of the time and maybe shared by others, nudge, wink. Its a sexy boat but its really a floating holiday spot in a very nice place when your place is not as nice.

Speaking of Roberts, some one finally built one who had a decent eye for proportion. I know the sheer is a bit carried away but its the first I have seen that would pass a rudimentary row away.

http://www.yachtworl...Mazatlan/Mexico

#38 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

Throwaway car? To my eye the car is more pleasing than the boat. When I was a kid we had a 1968 Pontiac Tempest.

Posted Image

#39 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

Sorry, Ish, that came out a little sharper than I intended.
I blame "end of season, boat on the hard" withdrawal.

#40 Anomaly2

Anomaly2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

Sorry, Ish, that came out a little sharper than I intended.
I blame "end of season, boat on the hard" withdrawal.

HTFU, and stop apologizing BL Your original post was a masterpiece-- Ish IS a pussy if he doesn't buy that boat (and he knows it). Well, OK, you forgot to close with "no offense" but even masterpieces can have flaws....

#41 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

I will continue to resist pressure from multiple-boat owners to join them in their multi-hulled misery.

#42 Diarmuid

Diarmuid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

Throwaway car? To my eye the car is more pleasing than the boat. When I was a kid we had a 1968 Pontiac Tempest.

Posted Image

Front end GTO.

Back end GTFO.

It's like the Duke boys got rear ended by a Mormonmobile. :lol:

#43 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

Posted Image

Front end GTO.

Back end GTFO.

That front bumper was chrome on the original car. My dad liked V8s, so I'm guessing we had the 350 cu in. In 1971 he bought a Maverick Grabber with a 302 V8. One of the first unibodies, made with recycled tin cans, they started rusting in a couple years. The engine is probably still running.

Posted Image

#44 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

Posted Image

Front end GTO.

Back end GTFO.

That front bumper was chrome on the original car. My dad liked V8s, so I'm guessing we had the 350 cu in. In 1971 he bought a Maverick Grabber with a 302 V8. One of the first unibodies, made with recycled tin cans, they started rusting in a couple years. The engine is probably still running.

Posted Image

68 was when the first 5 mph, pedestrian friendly bumpers were mandated so Pontiac changed the chrome one for the body colored plastic then.

Or I could be getting senile.

#45 slap

slap

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

68 was when the first 5 mph, pedestrian friendly bumpers were mandated so Pontiac changed the chrome one for the body colored plastic then.

Or I could be getting senile.

The 5mph bumpers were to reduce or eliminate low speed damage to the cars and came into effect for the 1973 model year.

#46 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

Having had a few low speed collisions in my dad's Maverick, I can speak to the bumpers' ineffectiveness. Once it was pulling out of the "package store," as we call them here, having charged some booze to my dad's account using my fake ID. Don't tell him.

I remember how pissed the older-than-me-but-in-her-20s woman driver of the other car was. And how good looking she was. Hormones. Here's the chrome on a Tempest.

Posted Image

slap, I remember the big bumpers on our '74 Country Squire. I think you're right.

Posted Image

We drove the Squire as a family to Florida. That trip sucked. It was a long fucking drive.

We also went to Maine in it when I was 15, my 16.5-year-old girlfriend with us, sacked out in the back in sleeping bags. Much better.

#47 Anomaly2

Anomaly2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

Sounds like the Maine trip was the long fucking drive. Or could have been- sleeping bags is the plural form.... I don't understand you KD.....

#48 Mung Breath

Mung Breath

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Interests:Balance in Life

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

My first car was a 1969 Olds 442 convertable...455, posi 12-bolt, Turbo 400, the real deal. Loved that car. Compression was so high (after a couple rebuilds) that it blew a starter every six months. 60 MPH = 4,000 RPM....gas gauge and RPM's moved equally fast in opposite directions. No photo's to share :((

#49 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:03 AM

Sounds like the Maine trip was the long fucking drive. Or could have been- sleeping bags is the plural form.... I don't understand you KD.....

I have a twin brother. There were at least two sleeping bags. All three of us were back there, my little brother whining in the back seat.

#50 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:04 AM

My first car was a 1969 Olds 442 convertable...455, posi 12-bolt, Turbo 400, the real deal. Loved that car. Compression was so high (after a couple rebuilds) that it blew a starter every six months. 60 MPH = 4,000 RPM....gas gauge and RPM's moved equally fast in opposite directions. No photo's to share :((

The Olds looks like it shares some genes with the Tempest/GTO.

Posted Image

#51 Beer Fueled Mayhem

Beer Fueled Mayhem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

Hey!! Take this shit to the Reis thread! :lol:

#52 chester

chester

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:18 AM

That's miss Cindy! Dude started building in April, had in the sea of Cortez by October, sailed to nicaragua trucked/river sailed her to the carribean and Florida and was home in Victoria by september...incredible.

#53 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:39 AM

That's impossible. Nobody in Victoria drives that fast.

#54 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:48 AM

You outta see them drive going outta town....

#55 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

We saw this one at PIB. Some one did a great job refurbing it, very nice condition.

Posted Image

#56 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,122 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

Ish:
I like your new avatar. Good old three fingers.

#57 monsoon

monsoon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

My dad had a '69 442 convertible, silver with black hood stripes... I had an awful lot of fun in that car in high school until I got my own first car - a '69 Triumph GT6+. BTW the 442 stands for 400 c.i., 4 speed (Hurst shifter), 2 = dual exhuast. Didn't have the 455 unless it was aftermarket. Our '71 Olds Vista cruiser, though, did have the 455. Sounded like the world's largest vacuum cleaner when floored.

#58 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

Had a few El Caminos & Chevelle SS's a '69 and '70 with the 396 in the 69's and 454 in the 70's. If you got em they both ate plugs after about 20 runs especially the 454. So made a point of not getting on them unless I wanted to do a plug change. Also had a '70 El Camino with the 250 six, put a Buick Sport wagon front discs, drag ling, tie rods, etc because they were about an 1/8" beefier then the Chevy's. Those SS's all got sold in the mid to late 80's, but kept the El Camino with the six as my windsurfing hauler for a long time, racking up close to 300k on her before selling to a collector.

#59 Diarmuid

Diarmuid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

We saw this one at PIB. Some one did a great job refurbing it, very nice condition.

Posted Image

OMG. That really is a pretty sailboat. Low freeboard, wedge-shaped coach... even all that crap on the back can't wreck its lines.

Now. Purely for my edification. The single mooring line doubled thru the buoy's top ring. Is that wise?

In rock climbing, that sort of thing would get you killed. Or at least slapped upside the head by your partner. No redundancy, too many failure-prone links in the system, possibility of motion sawing right thru the line. Maybe it's common practice -- but is it good practice?

#60 islandplanet

islandplanet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

Hire a surveyor to spend an hour or two to give you a general outlook. Then if it sounds promising, you can make your travel arrangements.

#61 islandplanet

islandplanet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

My dad had a '69 442 convertible, silver with black hood stripes... I had an awful lot of fun in that car in high school until I got my own first car - a '69 Triumph GT6+. BTW the 442 stands for 400 c.i., 4 speed (Hurst shifter), 2 = dual exhuast. Didn't have the 455 unless it was aftermarket. Our '71 Olds Vista cruiser, though, did have the 455. Sounded like the world's largest vacuum cleaner when floored.

My first car was a 1965 Olds 442 hardtop. GM factory paint. Cream with the ivory hardtop. Great car. Probably worth 30 or 40K if I still had it. Bought it from a widow who had stored it in a garage under cotton sheets after her husband passed away. $125 since we could turn the engine over. We later got it running with a bunch of penentrants and stuff we poured in the cylinders. Burned a bit of oil but quite fast.

#62 Coltrek

Coltrek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

Attached File  IMG_7849.jpg   97.59K   10 downloadsGood afternoon Mr Ishmael, I hope I am not to late to chime in on this, looks like a well intentioned thread has morphed into a discussion of old farts pining over their old muscle cars. :)

Now my 63 Impala Convertible with keg in trunk and tap in the back deck . . . Never mind.

I don't know if I have anything to say to either talk you out of this or into it. Altho these boats are turning 40 next year, I really can't see anything, in mine anyway, that would give me any impression there was any end of life in sight. As far as the galley goes, there is not much to it, so I wouldn't even give that a second thought. Whoops, Unless it needed a new refrigeration unit, that is. This summer I just replaced the top to my ice box, the Particle board was going to hell, and there seemed to be a gap underneath where it (should be) sealed to the top flange of the Fiberglass pan. Maybe I can get a picture on here of that, big improvement. This winter the same Corian around the sink.

As I alluded to, I know a little of this boat, some of the stuff I was given in confidence, but mostly the owners personal stuff. He loves the boat and cruising with his kids, Just that his wife (former now), Well, this gets complicated, but he was worried about losing his kids in Mexico, and If you remember the incident of the fellow whose wife decided to stay in Brazil with his son and his very long and public drama trying to get him back, well, you get the picture. That is why the boat was left there for sale. I see it has a Universal, he originally paid someone 4 grand to fix a Yanmar, (no joy) then I think around 16 grand for a rebuilt or new Yanmar, but maybe I am wrong there as that is obviously not a Yanmar. If it is one of the newer Universals it should be a Kubota, which is what I have in a Nani, nice engine, and parts everywhere and therefore cheaper. If I was going to live aboard I would like a bigger boat, but wouldn't we all. You already probably know what to expect below, but you might think it smaller or at least no bigger than your 35, because, it seems like in 73 they hadn't yet figured out how to make the best use of space. Things evolved a lot in ten years in that respect. And yes Bob, this is the fellow I forwarded info to on your first iteration of this rudder. After the new one was made on the old shaft, it broke at the waterline a few years later. We think the cause could possibly have been a tiny wire that he found touching the shaft. Fortunately the marina he was entering at the time (Thank god for the wind vane rudder!) had a competent machine shop, and made a new rudder shaft of solid SS, and a good Fiberglass guy for the rudder. So, like all of us, he probably has as much into fixing this boat as he paid for it, which was a fair bit more than the current asking price I believe. For some reason, these boats sell around 45K no matter what. If you put a fortune of time and $ into them, too bad, (but it will sell quicker!)

They are certainly a joy to sail. Chartering a Bendytoy or a Hunter is about as much fun as riding a cow but they are definitely roomy below.

#63 b6sfull

b6sfull

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:47 AM

Coltrek

ehem.......my Bendytoy rides like a stallion I will have you know.
try one like mine.....you might like it.

Ish

There is a 39 at our club......like most C&C's it looks great and sails well in moderate to heavy air......a cow in light air.
huge overlapping jib to contend with and very small cockpit for its size.

The interior is no different than what you have now. remember, its approaching year 40 and not getting any younger.

If it were me.....i would sell the 35 and get the Nordic 44 you want. Your happy and more important, the wife is happier too.

#64 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,150 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:53 AM

Mr. Ishmael, the only thing left is for the boat itself to chime in....time to bend down on thy single knee and offer Mrs. Ishmael whatever she wishes.

#65 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:55 AM

I concur!

#66 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:22 AM

Thanks for all the insights.

The broker says the galley repair is essentially what Coltrek had to do, and the fridge needs better insulation. His telling comment was "the guy just ran out of money".

So, in latest news, Mrs. Ish knows the interior of Black Watch and isn't that keen on it as a long-term living space...it's probably a great sea boat, but those pilot berths really eat up the interior. So it seems smaller than our 35. The interior is original. 1974 cushions, ick. That's not a biggie, though. None of them are biggies by themselves. New upholstery and foam, easy and not horribly expensive. $
We sail shorthanded, and by all reports it's not an easy shorthanded boat. I"m not fond of the traveler on the bridgedeck in a cruiser, but that's just the way it is. It does need self-tailing winches. $$
Water and fuel capacity is limited. Watermaker? $$
The cockpit is small and doesn't seem all that comfortable. It needs better canvas than that cheesy bimini mounted over the boom. With few opening ports it's going to be pretty hot below.

b6 is right in much of what he says. The domestic conversation has trended that way as well. It's a shame, the 39 is a beautiful boat and would be great for short cruises. I am having a tough time seeing it as a liveaboard cruiser, and trying to turn it into that would be a money pit.

#67 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:34 AM

Good answer, Ish....just busting ya in the chops...I find myself nodding in agreement....when you find the right one, it'll happen.

#68 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:06 AM

Ish, no offense but I hope you don't find the right boat until I'm in the right position to buy yours. ;) At any rate, it's one of the models on the list for the post-Firefly boat...

#69 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,150 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:54 AM

+1

http://turtleislands...mc/default.html

Attached File  theboys.jpg   108.99K   35 downloads

Attached File  departsf3.jpg   30.67K   29 downloads

Thanks for sharing the Link Tucky, it's a good read.

#70 Coltrek

Coltrek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

Apologies to B6, I neglected to define my meaning, the Beneteaus the Charter boat people use are cows because that is what works. I have chartered and had a great time on them . . . but they are not nimble boats. 36.7's beat us regularly, but we also beat them, just not as much because of the light air most of us deal with in summer racing. Also hard to make up the difference of nearly twice the displacement. I will say, our 39 can do quite well in light air, which has a little to do with how you sail it, but possibly more importantly adding a foot on the boom and a very large roach. Makes a huge difference, worth the PHRF Hit. The jib is a handful no question, adding self tailers was one of the best upgrades you could do. A recent race 45 miles upwind in 30 - 35 kts with only one other crew, older than me, nearly gave me a heart attack as I did all the grunt work. You don't need any more than a 135 for this boat, maybe a 140, but any more is a waste of time and money.

I too am glad to see the reposting of Miss Cindy, I had started reading that a couple years ago and lost it. He is a really funny writer, a great story.

#71 b6sfull

b6sfull

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:24 AM

Ish.....I was/am a C&C admirer, I used to own 2 C&C 34's in the past and enjoyed every moment on the race course or on the hook. My ultimate goal was to own a 41 someday. They are what they are, a great performance cruiser of its day. I agree with you that now, with age, these older ones will take time and money to refit and you will still have a 40 plus year old boat with a smallish cockpit and an interior that is outdated in design. Hard sell down the road. IMHO

I am sure that you will decide whats best for you and your family. Good luck

Coltrek......Appologies accepted. Like us all, I am a little touchy of my loved ones :P

#72 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:35 AM

My first offshore experience was a sister ship, Blackwatch. Have done RTC and Swiftsure on her.

We once sailed over the bar at Eureka, in a storm, in the dark, with only the coastal chart on paper or plotter. The engine was overheating so we had the engine to go up the channel, but didn't want to turn it on until after transiting the bar. (it was a clogged strainer -after we had motored for a couple of days, watching all the weed float by ) :blink: :wacko: :unsure: :( that's the experienced idiot crew trying to figure out the engine,you must guess which one is me! After I downloaded the coast pilot the next day we discovered you are supposed to call the USCG before crossing in heavy weather.

She is a great sailor. She rides well under sail or power, and at the dock too. I don't know if she had the custom rudder. Although I think a max-prop would be in order.

Here are two pictures from RTC 2007. We came home in a full gale that year and had to dock at Squalicum with gusts over 50 hitting.

It does seem like a great deal. I know blackwatch cost a lot more than that, and prob not so nice as this at the time. Galley repairs would have to be pretty substantial to flip the deal I think.

Attached File  21037_1307922652981_4185793_n.jpg   26.93K   39 downloads Attached File  21037_1307922532978_4684577_n.jpg   59.26K   42 downloads

Balder you might like to have the original of that pic you posted as its larger, plus the other portrait pic. I was on Time Bandit when I took these. Day two was a blast... 35+ knots and surfing up Rosario Strait on Atlanta's wake not long before that huge chute of hers exploded during the gybe for the finish.
Attached File  rtc 2007 blackwatch-yikes-white cloud-cpyr.jpg   109.18K   14 downloads Attached File  rtc 2007 blackwatch1-cpyr.jpg   116.17K   26 downloads
Attached File  rtc 2007 atalanta fully powered up-cpyr2.jpg   85.31K   29 downloads
Attached File  Time Bandit 2007 RTC-2.jpg   37.4K   28 downloadsAttached File  Time Bandit 2007 RTC-1.jpg   102.21K   17 downloads Time Bandit pics taken by crew on Atalanta

End hijack.....

Back on topic of C&C 39... great price for a great design even if it does need some work.

#73 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

This thread went from awesome to reis-y to pussy.

It ain't my money so I say buy it! So what if it has the interior and cockpit of a 30'er. Even for that kind of dough you couldn't find a decent 30'er.

I know Mrs. Sons has a thing for C&Cs, but she'd never give up Soñadora.

#74 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

So Ish, are we still shopping down Mexico way?

How about a cheap V40 in Dago? Who cares if the holiday house has a few blisters? Could use some brightening up below too, maybe paint a few bulkheads.

http://www.yachtworl...A/United-States

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users