bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:18 AM

Where do I start?
Yeah, I know, I am tossing a bomb into the mosque, but what the hell.
Slavish devotion to history creates a boat that harkens back to the days of yore, but wastes innovations in materials and ergonomics. The decks are wider than necessary so the cabin is cramped and ark, the design was originally wood so the composite construction to the same plan is a waste of the advantages of the material, the interior is cramped because the hull is constrained by the antiquated design, etc., etc.,

The Pardeys have gotten a lot of dreamers on the water. So has Roger Mcgregor. One is revered, one is reviled. Both have a rabid kool-aid drinking following. Are both right? Are both wrong?

#3 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:05 AM

MacGregor. And yes.

#4 Anomaly2

Anomaly2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building small boats...

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:08 AM

MacGregor. And yes.

What are you doing posting on this thread? Did you buy the damn boat or not?

#5 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:47 AM

Hang on a bit, I have an auction on one of my kidneys I have to finalize.

#6 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,685 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:05 AM

Where do I get some of that marine plywood that will not absorb moisture? <_<

And how do you get resin to soak into it?

#7 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,009 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

Hang on a bit, I have an auction on one of my kidneys I have to finalize.

Who's the sucker Ish?

#8 Jim in Halifax

Jim in Halifax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:All things sailing. All things jazz and recording. Most things musical. Old British cars.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

Would you rather be caught out in Force 8 in a Sam L Morse Cutter or a MacGregor? Not a big fan of Kool-aid...just sayin'

#9 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,655 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

What's the question again?

#10 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,940 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

Would you rather be caught out in Force 8 in a Sam L Morse Cutter or a MacGregor? Not a big fan of Kool-aid...just sayin'

Force 8? Where? In open water with no complicating factors, you should be fine sailing any reasonably well-fitted-out boat from a Sunfish on up. In fact, there may well be no "caught out" to it... I have completed small boat races in 35kt+ winds, had a pretty enjoyable day.

OTOH with a current, shoals, or other complications, it could be a real bummer in far less wind than that. If you're dumb enough, clumsy enough, or unlucky enough... or some combination of all 3.... you can drown in a puddle. This is why knowledge & skill are the major determining factors, not whether you're in a crab-crusher or a racing shell.

FB- Doug

#11 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,491 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

That's a video answer to the "Slow and heavy but toooo long." thread.

Comparing this to the Macgreagor is silly. It would make more sense to compare it to a Flicka or a Dana. Or one of BP's boats in the 20'-24' range.

Or one of these: http://www.duckworks...owner/index.htm

Attached File  Sundowner.jpg   28.09K   2 downloads

#12 Diarmuid

Diarmuid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

Who's the sucker Ish?

Negative Feedback, comin' up....

"Seller described kidney as 'in like-new condition'. When it arrived, it was bruised and smelled like Lysol and now I pee three times a nite. Very disappointed."

#13 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

Seller claims buyer installed upside down and voided warranty.

#14 baccara

baccara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

Oh well, i just love this type of videos. While i spend most of my time on water racing boats that are from quite other end of the spectrum, i have a soft spot for Falmouth Cutter, BCC, Cape Georges, Vertues and the like. I do not care if they are cramped inside by modern standards, or do not take advantage of most modern materials as even just looking at them is very soothing.

Ok, i must admit. While the guys were gluing the plywood core into the deck using iron or lead pigs as weights, i immediately thought of vacuum bagging and using some heavy weight corecell or equivalent instead of plywood. Anyhow, i really would like to own one of these, or just have the opportunity to sail Falmouth Cutter.

#15 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

Force 8? Where? In open water with no complicating factors, you should be fine sailing any reasonably well-fitted-out boat from a Sunfish on up. In fact, there may well be no "caught out" to it... I have completed small boat races in 35kt+ winds, had a pretty enjoyable day.

OTOH with a current, shoals, or other complications, it could be a real bummer in far less wind than that. If you're dumb enough, clumsy enough, or unlucky enough... or some combination of all 3.... you can drown in a puddle. This is why knowledge & skill are the major determining factors, not whether you're in a crab-crusher or a racing shell.

FB- Doug

Force 8 Gale, fresh gale

62–74 km/h (17.2-20.6 m/s) 5.5–7.5 m 34–40 kn

Moderately high waves with breaking crests forming spindrift. Well-marked streaks of foam are blown along wind direction. Considerable airborne spray.

Some twigs broken from trees. Cars veer on road. Progress on foot is seriously impeded. Posted Image

...and in open ocean? Last time I saw 35-40 knots in open ocean it was pretty knarly.

You can have the sunfish or the Macgregor, I'll take the Falmouth midget thank you.

#16 Pinching

Pinching

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

I'll take a mini instead. At least there's a (slim) chance of outrunning the weather.

#17 Timo42's sockpuppet

Timo42's sockpuppet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

Who's the sucker Ish?

Negative Feedback, comin' up....

"Seller described kidney as 'in like-new condition'. When it arrived, it was bruised and smelled like Lysol alcohol and now I pee three times a nite. Very disappointed."

Edited for truthiness. :P

#18 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

I dub thee, Flying Wasp!

#19 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,940 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

Force 8 Gale, fresh gale

62–74 km/h (17.2-20.6 m/s) 5.5–7.5 m 34–40 kn

Moderately high waves with breaking crests forming spindrift. Well-marked streaks of foam are blown along wind direction. Considerable airborne spray.

Some twigs broken from trees. Cars veer on road. Progress on foot is seriously impeded. Posted Image

...and in open ocean? Last time I saw 35-40 knots in open ocean it was pretty knarly.

You can have the sunfish or the Macgregor, I'll take the Falmouth midget thank you.

Hell, in a Sunfish it's a blast... -if- you know how to sail in the first place... I've deliberately taken Sunfish out in 40+ a bunch of times... not off a lee shore, it's true, but that comes under the heading of "knowing how to sail" I would say. A MacGregor would not be my first pick under any circumstances (or even 150th) but if life put me there, I'd know how to make it work.

Most of the time heavy-ass underpowered boats with poor foils do rather badly in stronger winds, not better. Seakindly maybe but difficult to control and lose the ability to make ground upwind against waves & surface current. I like boats that heave-to properly but not if it's the only option you've got.

FB- Doug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users