22 replies to this topic

#1 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:06 AM

I haven't really been around since August. Work was getting crazy, several family illnesses right in a row... Then my boss came into my office and informed me that an offhand comment I made in a meeting had turned into a major project that had several partners excited and I had to run the project and oh btw if I finished it on time and under budget there'd be a major thank-you involved.

Three months later, I've gained 15 pounds, Firefly hasn't had *any* work done on her (though I have managed to make sure the lines are okay and run the diesel every couple of weeks) and this weekend is the first time I haven't been working for at least a few hours a day since that day in August. The project's done, I got a 20% raise, a bonus, and a promotion to Director and to Chief Security Officer (yes, two roles, two titles, sadly one salary). I've spent the weekend catching up on the Sliver thread and a few others... but I didn't realize, while buried in work, just how much I was missing this place.

So... How you been?

#2 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,105 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:32 AM

Retired and missing the good times at work. Kept the extra weight off most of the summer, but with all the recipes that keep popping up around here I'm about 15 lbs overweight. So the plan is to add an extra 30 minutes to my run or jump rope or both, and eat less. Think I'll watch this vid to get me inspired.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Xr5DouXRv0k

#3 jgbrown

jgbrown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:06 AM

Working 2x full time+10-15 hrs extra per week, Tech Support(40 hrs) and yacht repair(50-55 hrs)
My disaster of a boat is what landed me the yacht repair job, which gives me access to better prices for parts but takes away all hope of free time to work on my damn boat.
On the side I am a full time university student, barely scraping by with a series of excuses that's wearing thin. Recently I smartened up and cut back one job to part time plus the full time job fixing the boat and school.
One job owes me 15k, and somehow I've ended up with 3 boats(mine and a half share of a large powerboat, and a half share of a 25' daysailer)

6 months ago I had great plans of buying a sailboat. Got talked out of some boats that were too big. Read everything I could find by Bob Perry and other brilliant people online. Decided on the carefully fixed up by someone else variety, not the fixer'upper variety, and living at anchor while I learned to sail her.

I've had one day off since then, still haven't sailed the fixer'upper project boat I got, complete with the very expensive(and full of bullshit) survey I had done on her. She's safetly ensconced in a very expensive dock I'm not allowed to live at while I fix other people's boats nearby.
I've spent triple what I made last year on her, and she's almost ready for her first sail I think.

My now ex-girlfriend is moving off the boat we're not allowed to live on into an appartment she was amazingly lucky to get. We're great friends thankfully otherwise we never would have made it through.

So, pretty good :-)

Meant to start a thread on the boat, but always end up just reading this place and the other forums and distracting myself.

#4 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

Retired and missing the good times at work. Kept the extra weight off most of the summer, but with all the recipes that keep popping up around here I'm about 15 lbs overweight. So the plan is to add an extra 30 minutes to my run or jump rope or both, and eat less. Think I'll watch this vid to get me inspired.

Hmmmm, I think I just burned of a few hundred calories watching that!

#5 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,105 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

Took the jump rope with me this morning. May start bringing a machete and start clearing some of the old trails, can't believe how much they are over grown.

#6 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,419 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

All too often, in the corporate world, I have seen promises made like you received.

Do this extra work, really focus on it to the extent of all else, even your personal life, and you will get a just reward.

I have often seen that just reward be watching your boss get a promotion and you getting a gift card.

No, I'm not negative on corporate behavior at all. Why do you ask?

Good on you for getting a good return on your investment.

#7 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,419 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:41 PM

She's awesome!

#8 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:48 AM

I haven't really been around since August. Work was getting crazy, several family illnesses right in a row... Then my boss came into my office and informed me that an offhand comment I made in a meeting had turned into a major project that had several partners excited and I had to run the project and oh btw if I finished it on time and under budget there'd be a major thank-you involved.

Three months later, I've gained 15 pounds, Firefly hasn't had *any* work done on her (though I have managed to make sure the lines are okay and run the diesel every couple of weeks) and this weekend is the first time I haven't been working for at least a few hours a day since that day in August. The project's done, I got a 20% raise, a bonus, and a promotion to Director and to Chief Security Officer (yes, two roles, two titles, sadly one salary). I've spent the weekend catching up on the Sliver thread and a few others... but I didn't realize, while buried in work, just how much I was missing this place.

So... How you been?

Anyway, good to hear from you. Was wondering. Hope you get a chance to enjoy Firefly and the holidays.

#9 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,290 posts
  • Interests:The sea, women, history, women who like the sea. Racing, crewing, travel, reading, learning.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:53 AM

Matt-

Although I'm glad to hear that your hard work paid off, I hope that your "promotion" doesn't eat up all of your free time. I'm a very big proponent of "work/life balance". Also, sorry to hear about the family illnesses and hope they weren't serious.

Winter is fast approaching, and I'm squeezing in sailing at every available opportunity.
I was lucky to catch the Naval Academy 44's out playing:
Posted Image

#10 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:40 AM

Matt-

Although I'm glad to hear that your hard work paid off, I hope that your "promotion" doesn't eat up all of your free time. I'm a very big proponent of "work/life balance". Also, sorry to hear about the family illnesses and hope they weren't serious.

Winter is fast approaching, and I'm squeezing in sailing at every available opportunity.

Work-Life Balance has been an issue. I'm something of a workaholic in that if work doesn't keep me completely engaged, I get bored. Then I do something silly like buy a project boat... it's getting better at the moment. I'm hiring three people to replace myself at my old position, and shedding responsibilities from my job description like a wet dog gets rid of water. I'll still have more on my plate than I did before, but not so much that I'm unable to have fun.

All too often, in the corporate world, I have seen promises made like you received.

Do this extra work, really focus on it to the extent of all else, even your personal life, and you will get a just reward.

I have often seen that just reward be watching your boss get a promotion and you getting a gift card.

No, I'm not negative on corporate behavior at all. Why do you ask?

Good on you for getting a good return on your investment.

In my case, the reward was stated up front (with some details TBD) and the process of providing it began with the project. It could have been cancelled at the end of the process, but only with difficulty, and not without the senior administrative staff and executive committee of the partners knowing all about it. So it was a pretty safe bet from that end of things.

#11 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

welcome back

Now get rid of that 15lbs.

#12 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

She's awesome!

They are all like this in Oz.

You should try the French Toast!

#13 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,290 posts
  • Interests:The sea, women, history, women who like the sea. Racing, crewing, travel, reading, learning.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

Gawd, she's delicious. What a smile.

#14 memopad

memopad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

Congrats on the raise/promotion! My boat has been out of the water for a month, no more sailing around here :(

The gf and I broke up, my brand new f150 got t-boned, rolled over and totalled, and my grandpa passed away. Been a fun couple of weeks! If I had a dog it probably would've been hit by a car or something by now.

#15 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,290 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

Bad luck comes in 3's. You should be good for a while. The truck is just an object, not even as worthy as a good boat so don't sweat that. I am very sorry to hear about your grandfather though. Girlfriend? There are plenty of women out there who would be interested in a "man of leisure" such as yourself.

Hang in there.

#16 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

Congrats on the raise/promotion! My boat has been out of the water for a month, no more sailing around here :(

The gf and I broke up, my brand new f150 got t-boned, rolled over and totalled, and my grandpa passed away. Been a fun couple of weeks! If I had a dog it probably would've been hit by a car or something by now.

Sorry to here all that, seriously.

Not seriously, there is a decent country song in there as well. I think the loss of the truck fills the chorus, the girl and the lack of dog are in the verses, and gramps dies in the bridge. C G F Am and if you want to risk it an Em or Dm in the bridge, but I don't recommend it, and C G and F will suffice.

#17 memopad

memopad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

Not seriously, there is a decent country song in there as well. I think the loss of the truck fills the chorus, the girl and the lack of dog are in the verses, and gramps dies in the bridge. C G F Am and if you want to risk it an Em or Dm in the bridge, but I don't recommend it, and C G and F will suffice.

If only I played the guitar! Maybe now is a good time to learn?

I've been in the mood to sail lately, it's my therapy. Too bad all the boats are put away until June.

#18 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

If only I played the guitar! Maybe now is a good time to learn?

I've been in the mood to sail lately, it's my therapy. Too bad all the boats are put away until June.

Perhaps a holiday to the Left Coast is in the cards...

#19 Mung Breath

Mung Breath

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Balance in Life

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

This seems fitting:

Michelle Jenneke did it for me.

#20 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,105 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

Michelle Jenneke full video

#21 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,290 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:51 AM

If that doesn't cheer him up, nothing will.

#22 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,105 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

She's a good sport!

#23 memopad

memopad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

brb going to australia... for the sailing...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users