Boatfiend

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

>Need gear recommendation

Bit of Background:
>Compete in around the cans offshore yacht races on the weekend
>More overnight racing passages to come with the possibility of Sydney to Hobart next year
>Mainly placed in bowman position

I currently own Musto MPX pants and Jacket but I am considering changing over to a smock.
Currently looking at either a dingy racing smock or a ocean smock (HPX, HH or otherwise).

Does it make much difference on the bow?
Would wearing an ocean smock on a passage be comfortable?
Are the latex seals comfortable enough to consider wearing for day racing or passages?
Any other suggestions?

OH and here are some newbie tits ( . )( . )

#2 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

I changed from Jacket to Smock this Summer and am in pretty much the same situation as regards to the type of sailing I do.

I initially had the same concerns as you and was going to go the jacket route but a friend offered to sell me his TP2 smock and oants at a good price so I went for the smock.

Having raced the shit out of myself all Summer both inshore and offshore I'm pretty glad I made the switch, the smock is very dry and feels alot less bulky than a jacket.

The only downside is that they take a bit longer to put on when you get on watch, but in my mind that's an ok compromise to make when you end up so much warmer and drier...

#3 PDG

PDG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

I'm with Ice Tea on this one. Warm and dry trumps every other consideration, and smocks are definitely warmer and drier.

#4 FromTheRail

FromTheRail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

i've been using smocks for a while now, mainly Musto MPX offshore's but have recently bought Musto MPX Race smock (no hood, collar etc) and am going to be using that mainly.

If the weather gets bad indead of changing to a better smock i'm just going to put a jacket over the top, just need to find a jacket now that I like

#5 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

Another bonus re smocks: The big ass pocket along the front is great for putting hats, snacks etc in, easy to get to when you need it and roomier than the pockets on a jacket

#6 MidPack

MidPack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

I've always thought the downside of a smock is you can't regulate ventilation, it's either off or on. With a jacket, you can have it fully zipped up, part way, not at all or off - so you have more choices, and it's easier to take a jacket off an on. You might want it zipped up going to windward, and unzipped going downwind, I know I've done same many times. In conditions where being too warm isn't an issue, I'd think a smock would be preferable as it's less bulky.

#7 Mogle

Mogle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Shorthanded Sailing
    Offshore racing
    RORC
    Long distance Cruising

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

a smock is you can't regulate ventilation, it's either off or on. With a jacket, you can have it fully zipped up, part way, not at all or off - so you have more choices, and it's easier to take a jacket off an on.

I agree with you. I always en up with my Musto jackets due to better ventilation. Even though the Musto MPX smock is very comfortable. They could Improve to ventilation on the smock.

#8 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,945 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:46 AM

a standard jacket can be cumbersome on the foredeck, and there is nothing like green-water down your neck in the middle of the night as you're doing a peel. While i tend to wear a standard jacket offshore, there have been cases where i have used a standard dinghy smock because you can actually (mostly) close your neck off. I will never wear a standard jacket on a buoy race on the foredeck. The drytop's are definitely interesting. I have used drysuits pretty extensively and eventually the latex seal loosens up a little bit and, while i wouldnt say its comfortable, it does eventually become not-bothersome... no problem at all on the wrist seals. depends on the mfg of course.

#9 Boatfiend

Boatfiend

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:05 AM

So with those points in mind:

>> Would it be worth owning a smock for day racing (say a dingy smock) and another for longer trips (a dry top by HH, HPX smock or something similar) or is a ocean smock comfortable enough for either conditions?

>> Also, if I were to purchase a dingy smock for day racing what is your opinion on latex v the standard seals featured on most smocks and jackets? Bearing in mind main sailing location is Sydney, Australia would latex seals be overkill or a wise decision?

>>>Further discussion/suggestions on the Smock vs Jacket debate is still greatly appreciated :) <<<

#10 Slim

Slim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Interests:Skype: slim_joel

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:16 AM

I would think about a shawl or coverlet if I was you.

#11 xyzzy

xyzzy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:35 AM

If you have bibs that need to be unzipped from the top to pee then a smock makes that a real pain.

#12 micha571

micha571

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:49 AM

Have changed from jackets to a smock (Musto MPX) since last season. Really good, would not ever change back.

#13 auggie

auggie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:59 AM

If you have bibs that need to be unzipped from the top to pee then a smock makes that a real pain.

Indeed. First, i'm probably an old fuck by bowman standards. but i gotta tell you it does pose probs when the zipper aint where u need it and your medication kicks kn around noon. That being said, if it's not really raining and the bow isnt really going under the water a smock UNDER your bibs works. Otherwise, bibs and jacket unless you're Jimmy Spitall or crew and can wear those cute little get-ups. Now, does anyone remember the foul weather "coveralls" of the 80's? Lightweight, colorfull.

#14 auggie

auggie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:01 AM

By the way,Jimmy, do u boys just pee in your suits like the old days or do u have have a bottle on the boat?

#15 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

>Need gear recommendation

Bit of Background:
>Compete in around the cans offshore yacht races on the weekend
>More overnight racing passages to come with the possibility of Sydney to Hobart next year
>Mainly placed in bowman position

I currently own Musto MPX pants and Jacket but I am considering changing over to a smock.
Currently looking at either a dingy racing smock or a ocean smock (HPX, HH or otherwise).

Does it make much difference on the bow?
Would wearing an ocean smock on a passage be comfortable?
Are the latex seals comfortable enough to consider wearing for day racing or passages?
Any other suggestions?

OH and here are some newbie tits ( . )( . )

What's the boat type? If you're taking green water over the deck, the neck and wrist seals are must haves. Smocks are better than the jackets if you're going to be wet for long periods of time.

If you're in warm water, go find a short sleeved kayaking smock. I still have an old Patagonia one and it's the best piece of kit I own. Keeps the core dry, but without that plastic bag feeling

#16 PDG

PDG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

Indeed. First, i'm probably an old fuck by bowman standards. but i gotta tell you it does pose probs when the zipper aint where u need it and your medication kicks kn around noon. That being said, if it's not really raining and the bow isnt really going under the water a smock UNDER your bibs works. Otherwise, bibs and jacket unless you're Jimmy Spitall or crew and can wear those cute little get-ups. Now, does anyone remember the foul weather "coveralls" of the 80's? Lightweight, colorfull.

Had one of those from back when Musto was Musto and Hyde. Slowed the water down a bit. Feeling old now, thanks!

As to the latex vs. folding seals: I can only speak about the latex ones. I have a Gill ocean racer smock with latex seals. I wear it buoy racing and distance/offshore. The latex seals need to be (carefully) trimmed, and they take some getting used to, but they work very well. Went sideways on a race a couple of weeks ago and wound up about chest deep in water briefly. Ankle and waist cinches were tight, and I was surprised to find myself basically dry at the end of it all. With a standard jacket, I'm certain my bibs would have been flooded.

#17 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:39 AM

I race dinghies and bigger boats - albeit in the colder waters of Puget Sound. Whenever I was going to be doing bow, I went with a Smock (then Gill now Musto) except in the summer on a day it was NOT going to blow. Overnighters ALWAYS the smock with a layer underneath and if needed a jacket on top.

I'd rather be slightly warm than too cold.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: offshore, yacht, jacket, smock, racing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users