20 replies to this topic

#1 Pokey uh da LBC

Pokey uh da LBC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

Looking to buy an instrument package for a 30’ budget-minded R/C boat.

Had an NX system a couple of boats back and liked it.

Trying to figure out which system to buy. Looks like the NX Complete Value Pack (Art. No: 22935-43 or 22935-53) provides TWS, TWD, BS, VMG, and Heading. Is this correct?

Most, but not all, of the NX systems use the wireless wind transducer. But the NX Value Pack (Art No: 22934-52) uses the wired wind transducer. Is the transducer used in this system the Nwind unit that they claim is 30% faster? Or is it the old pre-wireless NX wind transducer? What is the Nwind unit 30% faster than?

Is the wireless wind unit too slow for racing purposes?

Triducer-vs individual speed and depth transducers. I like the idea of fewer holes in the boat, but is the tri slower than separate transducers?

Are the NX and NX2 displays the same?

BTW, I put these questions to the guy on the 800 nexus(Garmin) support line. Unfortunately, they were over his head (he apparently came from the Garmin side of the building).

Thanks,

#2 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:21 AM

Are you sure you don't want the NX2? More money but you can expand and upgrade, e.g. get an electronic compass, interface to your GPS/Plotter, etc.

I suggest you contact Achillefs at Chicago Marine Electronics, he sells a lot of Nexus and should know the answers to your questions, and his pricing is competitive.

http://www.chicagoma...rt_Packages.htm

#3 Pokey uh da LBC

Pokey uh da LBC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

Thanks for the response, Pogs.

Yeah, the NX2 is the better system. But with the substancial discounts available on the NX systems, it makes the cost delta between the two just too big to ignore.

I'll call the guy you recomended and post the info in case anyone else has the same questions.

#4 jarcher

jarcher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

If you're racing you'll probably not be happy with an NX system, the NX2 is much better.

#5 Slick470

Slick470

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

good questions Pokey... I've been thinking about new instruments for our Olson as well, but haven't had the budget so far, so haven't asked about them here yet. I figure that by the time I get the kitty saved up, the stuff on the market will be vastly different from where it is now. Especially since the likes of Nexus and Tacktick are now owned by bigger in the market.

If I remember right, somewhere buried in a sea of mermaids on Pog's blog is a description of the system he put together for his Olson 34. Probably overkill for either of our boats, but it's not a bad reference.

#6 Pokey uh da LBC

Pokey uh da LBC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

I got some answers to the above questions from Chicago Marine Electronics (thanks Pogen) and from Nexus:

NX Complete Value Packs will give you TWD, TWS, BS, and Heading.

The wireless wind transducer is slow compared to the NWind transducer. Was told that the wireless updates twice a second, and the NWind, ten times a second. A big difference, but 2x/sec still seems fast. Wonder how that compares to Tactick.

The Nwind transducer is designed to plug into the server (either NX2 or the classic). But CME says that it may work on the NX network, although he hasn’t tested it. Also says the wireless units are prone to failure associated with the solar cells.

Triducer and individual hull transducers are equally fast. As I remember, the Tacktick triducer is slower.

NX and NX2 displays are not the same. The NX2s will display data from other sources, like GPS bearings. But the NX2 displays will work fine on an NX network.

So... NX2 has a server that can include and send other data (chart plotter, lap top, etc.), and has the faster Nwind transducer. The NX system is a little cheaper at retail. But when heavily discounted (e-bay), is about half the cost of the NX2.

I welcome comments from those with more experience.

#7 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

If I remember right, somewhere buried in a sea of mermaids on Pog's blog is a description of the system he put together for his Olson 34. Probably overkill for either of our boats, but it's not a bad reference.

I think you mean this post. http://neversealand....05/temeritynet/

I never got the radar, but otherwise I put all that into practice. Except the combination of the Brookhouse mux, the AIS radio, and the plotter is very flaky, and usually something is not working -- AIS targets do not show up on the plotter, or data from the MUX does not reach the computer. There is an impedance issue with some pullup resistors and a strange input property on the plotter. The computer to NEXUS server always works though.

That little Grundig SSB reciever is a piece of crap, don't get one of those!

#8 Leon T

Leon T

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:38 AM

I'm curious as well about the NX2, as I'm trying to build out the electronics for my next dream boat (32 footer, tiller steered w/ twin rudder hardware belowdecks, under 8500 lbs displacement). (Love the old NX on my current boat).

I'm planning on getting everything set up for single-handed coastal sailing, meaning autopilot. Thinking of getting the Nexus AP belowdecks, then possibly sending NMEA info. to VHF (w/ AIS) and multifuction display (maybe the Raymarine e7 at the nav. station). I figure for the AP I'll need the HPC compass, 1510 servo, and get the NX2 remote control as well.

Questions:
1) Do I only need the HP-40 linear drive, or do I need another drive?
2) Do I need rudder angle feedback if I can just see where the tiller is pointed?
3) I'm concerned about power consumption: is using the e7 GPS a good idea, or is it more of a toy? Should I use a separate GPS source (like plugging in my ol' Garmin GPS76, or getting a GPS enabled VHF like Standard Horizon GX 1700)?
4) Any issues sending GPS data to VHF like a Standard Horizon GX 1600?

Thanks.

#9 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

The HPC compass is a Nexus NX2 bus instrument, you need the server for it to work. The Nexus bus is faster than NEMA I think.

The HP-40 is a good hydraulic drive unit, it consumes 6A when the motor is running and the solenoid uses 1A in standby. You need to have a very robust mechanical stop to prevent the ram from hyperextending, I have broken mine twice!

The Standard Horizon radio I have consumes a whopping 600 mA in standby.

I don't thing you need rudder feedback if you can see the tiller. My boat has a tiller.

If you are already going to mix-and-match so many different components, you might want to get the Raymarine AP X-5, a lot of SSS guys out here have it and like it. It is a lot cheaper I think, and independent of the other instruments.

I got all-Nexus because I was replacing all my instruments and adding AP, I didn't want compatibility headaches. I would have gotten NKE, but it was more expensive and the displays did not fit nearly as well into my existing scheme.

#10 Leon T

Leon T

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:42 AM

Thanks, Pogen, I'd rather go the all-Nexus route as well (I presume you mean VHF and GPS/chartplotter, was there any other non-Nexus item I didn't know about?).

What do you mean by a mechanical stop -- is this a permanent structure that limits tiller movement?

Also, I've heard that APs really mess up the feel of the helm when hand-steering -- do you disconnect the AP when not in use?

Thanks.

#11 Slick470

Slick470

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:10 AM

That's the post Pogs. One of these days I may actually have time to figure out what all that is, what it all does and if I actually need or will use any of it. Right now the only instrument I have that works consistently is depth, but that is currently the only one I need to work given where I sail and how we're using the boat.

#12 condor

condor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

Pokey -
Have some spare pieces. PM sent.

#13 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

Thanks, Pogen, I'd rather go the all-Nexus route as well (I presume you mean VHF and GPS/chartplotter, was there any other non-Nexus item I didn't know about?).

What do you mean by a mechanical stop -- is this a permanent structure that limits tiller movement?

Also, I've heard that APs really mess up the feel of the helm when hand-steering -- do you disconnect the AP when not in use?

Thanks.

Mechanical stop -- usually a line from a hard point to the tiller arm that limits range of travel. Mine was a piece of thin spectra, and this line snapped on my trip to Hawaii, which led to damage of the ram.

To disconnect the AP I have to haul out sail bags and crawl into the laz to access the belowdecks rudderpost area, and disconnect the ram from the pin on the tiller arm, and then bungee it down. Just takes a few minutes. Abovedecks is way more convenient, but the husky Nexus ram needs to be below. Most tiller pilots are above decks (e.g. Simrad, Raymarine).

The extra drag on the helm is not too bad. I don't know how it compares to the Jaffa mechanical drive unit. If you are crewed racing you will want the AP disconnected, but shorthanded I actually like the extra damping/friction on the helm, as my boats rudder is balanced very light, and if I let go of the tiller even for a second the boat goes zipping off in some new direction. With the AP attached but not engaged I can let go for a few seconds no problem.

#14 Leon T

Leon T

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

Thanks for the update Pogen. I spoke w/ Achilles @ Chicago Marine Electronics, he also suggested the Simrad SD10 or DD15 as alternatives to the Nexus HP-40 (don't know if they require a Simrad controller or whether I can still use a Nexus AP controller, so many things to learn....)

#15 Achillefs

Achillefs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

HI all, Hi Mr. Leon T

I just want to be clear about the Nexus Network sensors:

The N-wind and the HPC compass are connected to the Classic and NX2 Servers via the Nexus Network (anywere at any Network junction point) the same way the N-Wind can be connected to the NX WSI box (per Nexus Marine).

Since I have not done any installation of the N-Wind or of the HPC compass at the WSI box Network, I cannot speak by experience.

And since the Wireless wind sensor is less $ (requires WSI box) I do recommend it for small and recreational boats.

About my recommendation over the phone to Mr. Leon T for the autopilot Drive unit, I did mention the that the NX2 Autopilot can use one of the HP40, Linear Actuator with its Pump, SD10 or DD15 (the Simrad DD15 is almost the same drive, that is made by Jefa), my basic note was that he can fit any of the above drive units depending the area mounting limitations the steering requirements and processor compatibility.

About the Rudder Feedback unit in an autopilot system, it is used to provide the autopilot processor the rudder responce (provides better perfomance than with out it) and not the possition of the rudder to the skipper and because the rudder angle information is there it can be displayed to the pilot control display or mfd as additional data to the user.

The reason I commended NX2 Autopilot is because using the same brand Instrument system and Autopilot minimizes the doublication of some parts (i.e. Compass) and simplifies the Interfacing/communication between systems, and because Mr. Leon T. asked me about the NX2 autopilot only.

About the AIS system I strongly believe that if anyone spends the $ to get one, to get a separate AIS system (that can transmmit too) not just a receiver for safety reasons you want the other vessels to see you too (especially when single handed)

I know that the boat badged is a key factor for buying your boat electronics, but buying from a dealer that can provide pre and post sale support it worths more than buying from an Internet retailer/reseler like ebay or any other discount e-store!

One request, please when you call let me know at the end, that you will post my answers to a Forum or email me the link to that Forum, so I can go see it and reply if I need to:

Thank you, you can always call me for questions.

Achilles
Chicago Marine Electronics

#16 bjoekski

bjoekski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:shorthandednsailing

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

Hi
I have a Nexus AP on my Humphrey 30, and have problems with calibrating the pilot. It oversteer or is using a loooong time to get the course.
I think it can be the HPC compas that may be located "badly". Anyone haveing the same problems?

Thanks

#17 Achillefs

Achillefs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

Try to reduce the P1 cal on the Autopilot processor, if that does not work then you will have to do the APC procedure from the beging.

Check all the hardware for loose fasteners (tiller arm, drive unit, RFU link etc)

The problem may be due to magnetic interference at the HPC compass, try to relocate, If you need to re-set and re-calibrate, you will have to clear all previews calibrations and setup of the HPC first, but it is importand to re-do them 100% by the book (read first and do after) especialy the step where you have to repeat the orientation of the HPC, additionally make sure that it is mounted as per manual because it is critical.

Check the version of the HPC it must be ver. 1.1 and newer, contact your local dealer about it.

Achilles
Chicago marine Electronics

#18 Darkside

Darkside

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:01 AM

I have NX2 with a couple of NXR displays on my 30ft boat and am happy with them. Also on the boat is a raymarine x-5 tiller pilot which has also been working out pretty well. My gps is a garmin puck receiver outputting nmea into the nexus server. For the most part, the autopilot pretty much runs independent of the nexus stuff. I do have the raymarine autopilot listening to the nmea out on the nexus server so that it will steer to the wind vs the fluxgate compass. The raymarine display can also show water, course, gps, but for some reason not depth.

I was surprised to find that the NXRs update very quickly (several times a second?) compared to the raymarine and nx2 1hz update rate including gps speed.

#19 bjoekski

bjoekski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:shorthandednsailing

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

Try to reduce the P1 cal on the Autopilot processor, if that does not work then you will have to do the APC procedure from the beging.

Check all the hardware for loose fasteners (tiller arm, drive unit, RFU link etc)

The problem may be due to magnetic interference at the HPC compass, try to relocate, If you need to re-set and re-calibrate, you will have to clear all previews calibrations and setup of the HPC first, but it is importand to re-do them 100% by the book (read first and do after) especialy the step where you have to repeat the orientation of the HPC, additionally make sure that it is mounted as per manual because it is critical.

Check the version of the HPC it must be ver. 1.1 and newer, contact your local dealer about it.

Achilles
Chicago marine Electronics

Thaks. I will relocate the compas as a start (when the norwegian winter is over..)

#20 Code 2

Code 2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:stuff....

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

There is a lot of great information here I am trying to digest - we have nexus instruments and some sort of brain on our new to us 25'. None of it works. I am quickly realizing I am over my head with this stuff. Does anyone have a recommendation for a technical/sales/support company in the Newport Beach / greater Los Angeles area I can consult with for Nexus?

Any leads are appreciated - I simply dont have the time to figure this out - just want to step on the boat and have it work. Yes - I know Im gonna have to pay for it.

Cheers!

#21 Spectra

Spectra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

Would anyone have any ideas on how I can get a Nexus Classic control display for autopilot for for a classic system? New or used in working condition?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users