#1 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:08 AM

Old Boat Smell: eau de toilette or water from the toilet?

http://docksixchronicles.blogspot.ca/2012/11/an-ode-to-odour.html

Posted Image

#2 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:55 AM

Jesus, just don't eat it!

#3 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:14 AM

When words are in quotes like that ("DO NOT EAT"), I always assume they are trying to imply something other than the literal meaning of the quoted phrase. Sort of like sneer-quotes, right?

So what, in this case, what does "DO NOT EAT" really mean?

Perhaps they are saying "The stuff inside this package is illegal in most civilized countries, so we can't recommend that you eat it. But if you do ignore the warning and ingest the contents you should prepare for a really fun six hours, if you know what we mean. Just don't get caught."

#4 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

Just remember the Russian fellow in one of the solo round the world races who couldn't read the warning. These packets were in with his freeze dried food and he sprinkled it on the food when he heated it. Got very sick and took forever to figure out how he was poisoning himself.

#5 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

When words are in quotes like that ("DO NOT EAT"), I always assume they are trying to imply something other than the literal meaning of the quoted phrase. Sort of like sneer-quotes, right?

So what, in this case, what does "DO NOT EAT" really mean?

Perhaps they are saying "The stuff inside this package is illegal in most civilized countries, so we can't recommend that you eat it. But if you do ignore the warning and ingest the contents you should prepare for a really fun six hours, if you know what we mean. Just don't get caught."

lol

#6 rattus32

rattus32

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:37 AM

Jesus, just don't eat it!

If it's plain silica gel, it's non-toxic. "Do Not Eat" is just kind of a generic warning to indicate that it's not food.

If it's shakes out blue, that means it has a cobalt-based saturation indicator, which turns purple or pink if it's got moisture. That kind is definitely not for human consumption.

#7 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:58 AM

There are some "DO NOT EAT" inserts that must contain some sort of oxidizer, perhaps similar to the self-heating pads I use when my back is hurting. These "DO NOT EAT" inserts will get warm for a few minutes when you open the package, presumably because they had already taken up all the Oxygen in the sealed package and still had some unused oxidizer left over.

I'll bet *those* things would be very bad to eat. Remember the original "Godzilla" movie and the "Oxygen Destroyer" that the scientist used to kill the creature? I wouldn't want to risk it.

(Sorry for the spoiler, but since we're talking about anti-spoilers I thought it would all cancel out.)

How about DO NOT "EAT" ? Quotation marks are powerful things.

#8 rattus32

rattus32

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:07 AM

There are some "DO NOT EAT" inserts that must contain some sort of oxidizer, perhaps similar to the self-heating pads I use when my back is hurting. These "DO NOT EAT" inserts will get warm for a few minutes when you open the package, presumably because they had already taken up all the Oxygen in the sealed package and still had some unused oxidizer left over.

I'll bet *those* things would be very bad to eat. Remember the original "Godzilla" movie and the "Oxygen Destroyer" that the scientist used to kill the creature? I wouldn't want to risk it.

(Sorry for the spoiler, but since we're talking about anti-spoilers I thought it would all cancel out.)

How about DO NOT "EAT" ? Quotation marks are powerful things.

The commercial handwarmer types (like those you find in sporting goods stores - or by the gross at Costco which my family females rely upon) typically use iron, carbon, moisture and salt as their active ingredients, with oxygen coming from the air. They basically work by rusting very quickly.

Probably not recommended to eat, but won't kill you.

Those gel things you boil that you snap a washer to activate? Who knows what's in there!

#9 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,893 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:25 AM

Just remember the Russian fellow in one of the solo round the world races who couldn't read the warning. These packets were in with his freeze dried food and he sprinkled it on the food when he heated it. Got very sick and took forever to figure out how he was poisoning himself.

Please tell me that's a joke. Sorry but I did laugh.

#10 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

Please tell me that's a joke. Sorry but I did laugh.

Actually, not a joke. Might have been a BOC race, not a Vendee, maybe other than russian and google has not been my friend. My memory plays tricks on me sometimes too.

#11 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

If silica gel is like other non-digestible, water-sequestering agents, it can cause dehydration and turds like mortar shells.

#12 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:24 AM

If silica gel is like other non-digestible, water-sequestering agents, it can cause dehydration and turds like mortar shells.

The only experience I've had, thankfully, with a poison control center was with silica gel. They said, "she'll be fine."

#13 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:38 AM

The only experience I've had, thankfully, with a poison control center was with silica gel. They said, "she'll be fine."

Not to offer TMI, but I'm thinking of my poor mother's experience being fed Metamucil without sufficient water in her waning days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users