So what do people think of the US Sailing re-organization?

US Sailing reorganization

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rgscpat

rgscpat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Interests:sailing, racing, race management, Desert Sea / southwest USA sailing, future of sailing, travel, photography, hiking

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

House of delegates gone, councils turned into committees, Sailing Venues divisions, no more contested elections....
This came about rather suddenly.

http://about.ussaili...tm_medium=email

#2 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,252 posts
  • Interests:performance sailing, downhill skiing, music

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

I would like to hear DoRag's articulate take on this one early in the discussion. Seriously.

#3 Miles Beyond

Miles Beyond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

'So What', a Miles Davis classic from the album Kind Of Blue. Pretty well sums it up for me.

#4 Delta Blues

Delta Blues

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,808 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

The move away from a representative body, like the House of Representatives in Washington, DC to one of being King is what it is all about.

Many, many committees used to be represented on the old Board, from junior to one-design to offshore to Olympic to sailing schools to clubs to you name it, they all had a voice and they all had a vote.

Today, welcome to King Hubbell. I just can't figure out what he is King of? They threw away all of the representatives in this power grab game.

#5 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:24 AM

HHMMMMMMMM, hadn't noticed any change.

I never saw much of US Sailing before, unless I needed to enter a regatta and then they wanted my money. Now ....................it is the same.

I just finished 3rd at the US Sailing Disabled Championships in San Diego and I talked to many USS reps. None of them were supported by USS and the organizing YC paid for their travel and housed them at local's homes.

Where the F does my dues go??

Who is running this show?

The Time has passed for USS to be broken up. The United Satates is far too big for one organization to represent. Unless all the countries in the EU want to give up their Sailing NGB's...............

#6 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Interests:Traveling to far away sailing venues and terrorizing the locals!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:45 AM

Where the F does my dues go??

Executive salaries... Duh

#7 Onrust1368

Onrust1368

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:32 AM

Here's one symptom of the problem - a few years ago, I was at a US Sailing meeting, and the question was raised by US Sailing people "What do the sailors want from us?" - then there was a coffee break, and I ended up talking to the president - and I told her, "What the sailors want is to feel like US Sailing is listening to us." - and the president's response was, "Well, we have people for that, and committees, and the website" - my response to the president was "You mean, you're standing right here in front of me, and I'm asking you to listen to people like me, and you send me off to other people, committees and a website? You just don't get it, do you?" In my opinion, that's part of how US Sailing has become out of touch with what many sailors want - and they are so out of touch that they don't even realize it...

#8 saltyokie

saltyokie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Interests:racing CAtalina 38 in CHRF fleet - SBYC

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

I go back to the days of the US Yacht Racing Union It had a real structure which included the yacht clubs. When I was running the racing program at Windjammer's YC, Marina del Rey in the 1970s I felt I could always go to the area and if necessary to the national if I needed an answer. Then they eliminated the word yacht because they wanted to go after the windsurfers because of their larger numbers. They lost touch with the yacht clubs then - a long time ago.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: US Sailing, reorganization

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users