• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rodnichols69

rodnichols69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

In the market for a new handheld GPS for buoy sailing. What do you have? What do you suggest?

#2 Wanderer

Wanderer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

I use a Garmin GPSMAP 60CS with Blue Charts.

Excellent product, very accurate and reliable. Has been superseded by the GPSMAP 62 but if that is as good as its predecessor, well worth a look.

Tris...

#3 inquiring Mind

inquiring Mind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

+1 on Garmin 60CS/76CS (virtually the same items), but I think they have been superseded by the 62 family. Maps area little pricey, but they are good units, easy to use and reliable.

#4 Trov„o

Trov„o

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts
  • Interests:sailing (pretty obvious, uhmm)preferentially on boats with more than one hull ;D

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

+1 on Garmin 60CS/76CS (virtually the same items), but I think they have been superseded by the 62 family. Maps area little pricey, but they are good units, easy to use and reliable.

+2

#5 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

If you don't need maps but rather are trying to get around a race course quickly and have an Android phone or tablet, my StartLine Sailing Racing app is just released in the Google Play store about 10 minutes ago. Search "StartLine" in the Play Store.

It will tell you your time to the starting line as well as give GPS functions for entered or pinged waypoints. It was developed "on the race course" so you might want to take a look. It uses the concept of target speed to solve the problems I experienced with other starting apps. It has big high contrast displays so you can actually read it while racing.

For another GPS option for racing, you might consider the Garmin Foretrex 301 can be worn like a watch so you don't have to take it out of your pocket while at the tiller or on the rail. Doesn't give time to start though.

As far as accuracy goes, they are all pretty much the same. Some are better on city streets near buildings but that is probably not an issue. Given that, best is really about features and ease of use.

Allen
L-36.com

#6 DIMITRIS

DIMITRIS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

+2

+3 I have been using Garmin 76CS for five years and is a real tool!

#7 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:59 AM

^
+4

#8 condor

condor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

Garmin 76CS was replaced by the 78CS. I replaced a 15-year old Garmin unit this year and am very happy wih it.

Bonus with this unit: You can get SD cards with extra maps/charts. We got the maps of France card and had street maps along with turn by turn directions while driving in France this summer. The France maps were about $60.

#9 xyzzy

xyzzy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:24 AM

West marine has the 78CS on sale now for $199.

#10 SMBReno

SMBReno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Interests:Shorthanded sailing.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:36 AM

Where did you see this sale? Not online. Price shows $450.

#11 rodnichols69

rodnichols69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

Wow, the Garmin 6x / 7x cs has an overwhelming following. I considered using my smartphone, but the battery life and water resistance (or lack thereof killed that idea) I didn't find a 78CS for $199, but I found one for $299. Thanks for everyone's input!

#12 xyzzy

xyzzy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:45 AM

It was in the flyer for this week. But it's not the 78CS, just the 78, which I think lacks the compass. The g2 map card is $99.

I don't think the 78 is really all that much better than the 76. Same resolution screen with more colors. And faster. But I think they dumbed the software down so it can't do as much as the 76.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users