#1 Mung Breath

Mung Breath

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Interests:Balance in Life

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:49 AM

I need to have a personal burgee designed and created. Can anyone recommend someone to help me work through ideas and bring it to fruition?

#2 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,319 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:53 AM

What is the WLYDO, Limburger?

#3 Cruisin Loser

Cruisin Loser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, rock climbing, skiing, steatopygia, stuff

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:25 AM

I need to have a personal burgee designed and created.

Well of course you do.

#4 PATSYQPATSY

PATSYQPATSY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Interests:everything

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:00 AM

The Sail Bag Lady in Connecticut is an old salt with a good eye who listens. I wouldn't say she is the cheapest, but her work is nice.Attached File  image.jpg   211.78K   1 downloads

#5 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:55 AM

I need to have a personal burgee designed and created. Can anyone recommend someone to help me work through ideas and bring it to fruition?

Prestige Flag in San Diego made the Spike burgees. They're very durable and were a decent price. If you contact Krista Larson, tell her you are with the group that ordered the Spike burgees.They can also do the artwork or you can can have someone else create the graphic and email them jpeg as we did.
Krista Larson
1.800.876.5155 Ext. 3404
1.619.330.3405 Fax
klarson@prestigeflag.com

http://www.prestigeflag.com

#6 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts
  • Interests:It's Obvious!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

Poda helped me make one. I think he still lurks here.

#7 Mung Breath

Mung Breath

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

I need to have a personal burgee designed and created.

Well of course you do.

Spoken as only a man with a Hinckley can! :)

#8 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts
  • Interests:Learning to adjust to retirement...so far, so good.

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

WLYDO is up to the challenge...then we could have it 3D rendered and carved...we are a full service asylum.

#9 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

I have 5 burgees. A Spike burgee. A nantucket boat basin burgee that my friend who works there gave me. A Hinckley burgee. A home marina burgee. A quarantine burgee I'll use if I ever go to NY.

#10 SailAR

SailAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

Are you turning CDT into a ketch or yawl? where oh where will you properly fly it from... I suspect AYC is in NYYC region of flag etiquette?

#11 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

maybe by 'personal burgee', mung means he's going to attach a halyard to himself and fly it off his back.

#12 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,319 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

maybe by 'personal burgee', mung means he's going to attach a halyard to himself and fly it off his back.

A personal burgee should be flown from the port ear. Flying it from the starboard ear is a girly-man thing.

#13 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

All the personal signal flags I remember from my youth and Lloyd's were almost all rectangular or swallow tailed. They were called private signals. The triangular one was for club burgees.

Not that I'm a stickler for flag etiquette.

I've always thought they should look the same from each side, so a lot of letters are out. AWA or WAW is ok.

#14 Mung Breath

Mung Breath

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

OK, I should have known that I'd catch shit for asking such a question in public, even in CA. You guys are tough. But I did receive an e-mail from a friend with the following links that might be helpful to others:

The mother lode of private signal designs. http://library.mysti...cfm?BibID=36294 Etiquette: http://www.usps.org/...f/etiquett.html http://weathergage.c...and Signals.htm Fabrication: http://www.embassyfl...omboatflags.htm

SailAR: flag etiquette isn't a big deal at AYC (spreader) but NYYC is more formal (masthead).

Tucky: I too like the 'swallow tailed' shape. No letters.

Gate: actually, you're onto something. This timing is driven by the fact that I found someone locally to make me a cockpit table. He does nice inlay work so I thought to have him incorporate something unique instead of a typical compass rose. For WLYDO purposes, I'm thinking of a nautical version of the 'City of Amsterdam' flag with it's black/red/white colors and three (3) St. George crosses (one for each of my boys). BTW, I might be onto a set of lines for the half-hull.

WHL - I'll contact Prestige once I have a design and try to give them the business as a 'thank you'.

#15 familysailor

familysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

Wot's a "Hinckey can"?

#16 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,319 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

Wot's a "Hinckey can"?

I'd guess a Wilcox-Crittendon Skipper.

#17 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

Wot's a "Hinckey can"?

I'd guess a Wilcox-Crittendon Skipper.

They've switched to vacuflushes.

Posted Image

#18 familysailor

familysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

"Can" you use the "vacu--" function in lieu of a seat belt when the boat is rolling extensively?

#19 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

"Can" you use the "vacu--" function in lieu of a seat belt when the boat is rolling extensively?

Will have to try that.

#20 Mung Breath

Mung Breath

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

Arhh...hijacked by a toilet! Personally, I prefer the Raritan Elegance. It's suction is strong enough to remove kidney stones or hemorrhoids and provide a secure seal in event of inversion.

#21 familysailor

familysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

Arhh...hijacked by a toilet! Personally, I prefer the Raritan Elegance. It's suction is strong enough to remove kidney stones or hemorrhoids and provide a secure seal in event of inversion.

Okay back on topic...
Maybe a simple, (tasteful), graphic of what you describe could be used on the burgee?
:ph34r:

#22 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,067 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

I only like it when threads get derailed by talk of food.

#23 Mung Breath

Mung Breath

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

Okay back on topic...
Maybe a simple, (tasteful), graphic of what you describe could be used on the burgee?

Vacuum adhesion to a head during inversion?

#24 SailAR

SailAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

Okay back on topic...

That would go over well on the annual NYYC cruise.

#25 familysailor

familysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

Okay back on topic...

Exactly!

#26 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,319 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

Okay back on topic...

Exactly!

We're going to have to stylize the hell out of that to make it NYYC acceptable.

#27 familysailor

familysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

Okay back on topic...

That would go over well on the annual NYYC cruise.

I can't see a problem there, I did specify, "tasteful".

Might consider delaying hoisting the burgee until after cocktail hour. Blurred vision and possible enhanced sense of humor..... possible, no?

#28 SailAR

SailAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

Okay back on topic...

Exactly!

We're going to have to stylize the hell out of that to make it NYYC acceptable.

and one hell of an inlay on that table...

#29 Cruisin Loser

Cruisin Loser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, rock climbing, skiing, steatopygia, stuff

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:51 AM

Perhaps you should consider standing before you flush. Wouldn't want to get prolapsed. :o

Glad you took my prior post as intended. I look forward to cajoling someone into buying us both drinks in Marion. :) (I'm a pretty shameless freeloader)

#30 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

Perhaps you should consider standing before you flush. Wouldn't want to get prolapsed. :o

Glad you took my prior post as intended. I look forward to cajoling someone into buying us both drinks in Marion. :) (I'm a pretty shameless freeloader)

I will, no cajoling necessary.

I just got the bill from the club where I ate with Anomaly2 in October. Somehow we spent more money on food than booze. Fail.

#31 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

:blink:

#32 Mung Breath

Mung Breath

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:10 AM

I just got the bill from the club where I ate with Anomaly2 in October. Somehow we spent more money on food than booze. Fail.

Woah, CL, do I hear a hint that KDH might join us in Marion??! Or maybe he"d prefer to stand watch and open a tab in Hamilton???!

KDH - you should have arrived for the Narragansett Bay Rendezvous one day earlier. The impromptu Thurs. PM seafood buffet in Newport also exceded the bar tab, hard to believe. I'm counting on you to help push us over next year...

#33 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

Woah, CL, do I hear a hint that KDH might join us in Marion??! Or maybe he"d prefer to stand watch and open a tab in Hamilton???!

KDH - you should have arrived for the Narragansett Bay Rendezvous one day earlier. The impromptu Thurs. PM seafood buffet in Newport also exceded the bar tab, hard to believe. I'm counting on you to help push us over next year...

I'm in. Might have to fly if we're drinking in Bermuda, though. I keep promising Ann next year I'll be away less.

Though, for me the definition of fun, life is sailing on Coup d'Etat or Sparky to Bermuda. Just saying.

#34 Anomaly2

Anomaly2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building small boats...

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:54 AM

KD, thanks for that meal. And the margaritas. Now fuck you. I devote my talent to seducing the waitress so you and "Jim" can have a good time and now this? Next year, we drink till you puke. No offense.

#35 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:08 AM

KD, thanks for that meal. And the margaritas. Now fuck you. I devote my talent to seducing the waitress so you and "Jim" can have a good time and now this? Next year, we drink till you puke. No offense.

If I remember correctly, and I can't imagine the margaritas affected my memory, the waitress was yours with basically no effort, you dog.

Good times. Looking forward to next year.

#36 Anomaly2

Anomaly2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building small boats...

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:21 AM

Shoot. You remember. OK to next season!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users