• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,160 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:13 AM

I have waited for Freinds to Chime-In having no idea their fate for so long

HOLY SHIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Un Facking Thinkable

So Far everyone I knew made it out Alive (that I have heard from)

I thought a thread of First Hand Storys would be a Good place to share info

so as to Not get burried deep in another thread

#2 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,160 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:15 AM

POST 1 From someone Many of us know from the Good O'l Daz ;)

"NAMES WITHELD"

We are fine, thank you. It blew pretty hard here NE of NYC from E first up to 75 knots and then turned S at 75-90 in NYC and that was the high tide at 9 pm. NYC is damaged severely, we just got some trees down that's it. In Brooklyn and Staten Island the cars floated blocks away from the shore. I really don't hve to go to work tomorrow given no public transport and my building downtown is shut down, but I am tired being at home. If I didn't have the car I'd probably bike. Thanks

#3 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,160 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:19 AM

POST # 2 Yet another Old Friend from the SA Forums

Just got power, and internet, back this morning! Damn do I have a lot of unread emails. Mom and Dad lost their house, living with me for a while until they can evict the deadbeat tennant in one of their rental houses. My rental propery next door had 6in of water in the first floor. All sheetrock, insulation, and utilities out, treated and will start reconstructing today. Roof shingles pretty much totally gone on the other one. Cousin, Aunt, many dozens of friends have major flood rebuilds. The barrier island Mantoloking to Seaside Park has been shut down. Marshall Law, zero access to your property other than the 6 hour window yesterday. National Guard with guns in hand guard the access points. I built my house like a fortress, way up. All systems are fine, and been running on a huge Miller Trailblazer Tig welder/generator powering my whole house(at $7 an hour for gas). Had 24" of water in the garage and underside of house. Had the wife's Audi, the jeep, and my truck raised up on a cinder blocks 3 high in the garage. Water still touched the tires! The bikes were all raised on a platform. No issues. The whole neighborhood has been using my place for showers, power, fresh water, etc. It's been a madhouse. Had no less than a dozen people over for dinner for a week and a half. My beds are full. Fucking nuts! SOOOOO glad to have power again though. Haven't been on the internet since last Christmas it seems.

News reports has estimated 250K cars were flooded out and totalled. 6 new inlets cut through the barrier island in my area alone(sucking piles of homes into the bay). Boats strewn EVERYWHERE! And oddly enough, a new storm came through last night dropping 3in of wet snow, 50mph winds, and another, thought not as severe, flood tide. Snow in November...

We're from NJ, we're all assholes. But we're defiant and resilient assholes... no need to worry!

#4 RumLine

RumLine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

We lost power for 20 hours, nothing DVRed...it was awful, so many brain cells lost due to excessive drinking.

In all seriousness, we were lucky but people 3 miles down the road from us are still waiting to get power back. Know a few people who lost houses in fires or have significant tree damage to their homes and other property. NJ and Long Island certainly got hit the worst, those of us in CT and Westchester were very lucky for the most part.

Unfortunately the price you pay for living on the shore is having to deal with the consequences of the most powerful force on Earth. As many of us know, the ocean she is a mother fucker. They may be able to rebuild some of the structures that were there, but many people lost much more that can never be replaced.

#5 Winged

Winged

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:the wind ,americas cup.new media .youth sailing programs . teaching or taking elderly or mis fortunate sailing

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

My Bout With Sandy

Just got white sticker on house so can rebuild and have electric run.

A Tale of leaving my home at the Jersey Shore

http://acworldseries.blogspot.com/2012/11/hurricane-sandy-update-my-bout-with.html

Jersey Rocks

#6 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,350 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

You guys won't believe this that building in NY they have shown all over the place the whole front brick face came off during the storm? On of my wifes old room mates from NY very good friend of hers sent her a note that was the first building she lived in when she moved to NY WOW.

I've heard one report from a friend living in SF who owns a place in NY and has lots of family and friends there. Some of the buildings which were in the flooding area have had their foundations compromised and at least one of his friends on the 3rd floor have had their building red tagged and they are out of a place to live. So even buildings which might seem to be OK with first floor flooding might be a lost cause as they get caught on on reviewing damage etc.

Sucks!!!! Lots of people will be short on housing for a long time

#7 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

And new york city real estate costs go up even more....

#8 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,116 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

There was an office building in Westchester that lost the north side of their building. They're tearing it down now along Westchester - you can see it from 684 going into the Hutch.

#9 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:01 AM

Had the wife's Audi, the jeep, and my truck raised up on a cinder blocks 3 high in the garage. Water still touched the tires!
....We're from NJ, we're all assholes.

glad to hear the audi was ok, ya fukin douche nozzle!

#10 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,836 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:55 AM

Effectively you are asking about the effective storm and how were folks affected by the storms effects??

My neice is a shrink mostly practicing at Bellevue and a couple other nearby hospitals. Apparently the generators and fuel for those generators were all in low levels that were flooded.

her descriptions were of a horrible mess and she was quite surprised nobody died in the immediate sorting out efforts.
There were also some patients who ended up being snet out to fend for themselves and she was VERY concerned about those folks.

#11 CJV

CJV

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:02 AM

We were lucky. Only lost power for some 6 days. The most excitement was in the height of the storm, feeling the East wall of the house actually move in a gust. I called my wife upstairs and we started packing ditch bags. One of my kids complained that she couldn't find her Versace scarf to pack in case we needed to end up displaced in a shelter... that was classic. Didn't need to ditch though. And a few days later I found a smallish generator available at Home Depot.

The boat survived, though the whole mooring field dragged 150yds to the West. We'll see in a few days how the keel and rudder fared.

#12 Plumbean

Plumbean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

Boat survived without a scratch, although the water line was halfway up the keel which means about 5 feet of water in the yard where she was sitting. Tree through the roof of the house and into my daughter's bedroom (everyone's safe). Lost 7 trees total on 1/3 of an acre. No power for 12 days (thanks LIPA).

#13 House Salad

House Salad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

We ditched at about 5 PM Monday from Southfield Point in Stamford, Ct. when the trees to the East of us looked like they were going to bisect the house. It was probably gusting to 50 at that point. We are one row of houses off the seawall to Stamford Harbor. My neighbor stayed and they said they would never stay again. Thank God they stayed because we lost power at about 7:30 PM and my neighbor plugged one of my sump pumps in to his generator. When the wind went South and waves were washing down Davenport, the pumps could not keep up. One was on a battery back up and its output was severely impaired. High tide was about midnight and it really hit the fan about 11 pm with water half way up the foundation and Southerly Breeze gusting to probably 70. The fetch was clear across Long Island Sound with only the Stamford breakwaters in the way. Houses on the seawall had full on waves crashing against them.

We lost the carpeting, wainscotting, sheetrock, and insulation. We got about 3 inches of water in the basement. Fortunately all mechanicals are on 3 inch pedastals, so no damage to them. I cut the sheet rock up 8 inches off the floor and am installing PVC baseboards so I never have to do this again. We got power back at 7 pm Friday evening, so we were out about 4 days. We were very lucky - the trees never came down. Didn't have a generator during the storm, but we have one now. We have the 30 amp cable to a transfer switch, and beau coup 12 gauge extension cords. Live and learn.

Our neighbors to the South and East were not so lucky, many had water on the first floor with some significant damage. One house is uninhabitable. The seawalls crumbled in many areas on Southfield Point. Stamford YC lost their Pier across the harbor. We're beginning to wonder if this is going to be a yearly event.

#14 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,677 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

Boat survived without a scratch, although the water line was halfway up the keel which means about 5 feet of water in the yard where she was sitting. Tree through the roof of the house and into my daughter's bedroom (everyone's safe). Lost 7 trees total on 1/3 of an acre. No power for 12 days (thanks LIPA).

Look at the bright side of it nobody was hurt and you will have less leaves to rake.
I was hoping that the only 3 trees in my yard that is left that my wife won't let me cut down would fall. No such luck, I still have fucking leaves to rake.

#15 CJV

CJV

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:35 AM

We ditched at about 5 PM Monday from Southfield Point in Stamford, Ct. when the trees to the East of us looked like they were going to bisect the house. It was probably gusting to 50 at that point. We are one row of houses off the seawall to Stamford Harbor. My neighbor stayed and they said they would never stay again. Thank God they stayed because we lost power at about 7:30 PM and my neighbor plugged one of my sump pumps in to his generator. When the wind went South and waves were washing down Davenport, the pumps could not keep up. One was on a battery back up and its output was severely impaired. High tide was about midnight and it really hit the fan about 11 pm with water half way up the foundation and Southerly Breeze gusting to probably 70. The fetch was clear across Long Island Sound with only the Stamford breakwaters in the way. Houses on the seawall had full on waves crashing against them.

We lost the carpeting, wainscotting, sheetrock, and insulation. We got about 3 inches of water in the basement. Fortunately all mechanicals are on 3 inch pedastals, so no damage to them. I cut the sheet rock up 8 inches off the floor and am installing PVC baseboards so I never have to do this again. We got power back at 7 pm Friday evening, so we were out about 4 days. We were very lucky - the trees never came down. Didn't have a generator during the storm, but we have one now. We have the 30 amp cable to a transfer switch, and beau coup 12 gauge extension cords. Live and learn.

Our neighbors to the South and East were not so lucky, many had water on the first floor with some significant damage. One house is uninhabitable. The seawalls crumbled in many areas on Southfield Point. Stamford YC lost their Pier across the harbor. We're beginning to wonder if this is going to be a yearly event.

So that's what's been keeping you from Shutterfly and weekend two of the MBFS... no worries, carry on, sir...

#16 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

Bummer to hear that Davenport Dr. got whacked. I grew up Trick-or-Treating on that street because my cousins lived there and our home turf was barren.

#17 House Salad

House Salad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

So that's what's been keeping you from Shutterfly and weekend two of the MBFS... no worries, carry on, sir...

Exactly. That computer was disassembled on Sunday evening 10/28 and hasn't been reassembled again yet. We are refinishing the basement and should be up in 2 weeks when the new carpeting arrives. Maybe I can split the cablevision connection up to the first floor. I still haven't figured out why the first weekend photos uploaded to shutterfly in lo-res. I'll get there, I promise.

#18 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

Look at the bright side of it nobody was hurt and you will have less leaves to rake.
I was hoping that the only 3 trees in my yard that is left that my wife won't let me cut down would fall. No such luck, I still have fucking leaves to rake.

Who are you kidding? Your wife rakes the leaves!

#19 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,677 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

And she's the one who likes the trees!

#20 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,677 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

Plus I keep telling her, that's why God created Mexican's

#21 Plumbean

Plumbean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

And she's the one who likes the trees!

Not true on either count for me and I'm not pushing lest there be other ramifications, if you know what I mean! In any event, its a moot point now. Cost of the tree removal would have paid for close to a decade of fall cleanup -- even the tree guy said it was a monster tree. It's only money anyway, and certainly lots of people lost more than that in this one, so I can't complain too much.

#22 CJV

CJV

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:54 AM

Exactly. That computer was disassembled on Sunday evening 10/28 and hasn't been reassembled again yet. We are refinishing the basement and should be up in 2 weeks when the new carpeting arrives. Maybe I can split the cablevision connection up to the first floor. I still haven't figured out why the first weekend photos uploaded to shutterfly in lo-res. I'll get there, I promise.

take your time. You do enough for us, on the water and thru your shutter...

#23 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,160 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:43 AM

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users