9 replies to this topic

#1 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

What fuel additives, if any, recommended for a marine diesel (Yanmar 2GM in my case)?

Does it matter if you are using marine fuel or truck fuel?

#2 BobJ

BobJ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

I run a 20 year-old 1GM10. There's no meter so I don't know its hours but I've put a lot on it during the ten years I've owned the boat.

Except for those times when I can get high-sulphur fuel I add some of this, per a mechanic's recommendation:

http://www.redlineoi...?pid=30&pcid=11

#3 Fleetwood

Fleetwood

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Sailing
    rugby
    etc

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

Don't use biodiesel! Not stable and allows diesel bugs to grow in it. Buy your fuel only from a high-turnover outlet.
If you don't use up your fuel regularly you may want to add a biocide:
http://www.rogger.nl...cteriedoder.pdf
gives a review of several and reasons to use them.
I have just started using DC250 - recommended by several fuel suppliers, as I have large tanks. Time will tell how good it is.(The previous biocide I used (Alfloc) is no longer available.)

#4 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:34 AM

Thanks for the tip on Diesel Fuel Catalyst. I was advises to use something similar, but I could never find it in the marketplace.

I'll look into the biocide, as well.

#5 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

Don't use biodiesel! Not stable and allows diesel bugs to grow in it. Buy your fuel only from a high-turnover outlet.
If you don't use up your fuel regularly you may want to add a biocide:
http://www.rogger.nl...cteriedoder.pdf
gives a review of several and reasons to use them.
I have just started using DC250 - recommended by several fuel suppliers, as I have large tanks. Time will tell how good it is.(The previous biocide I used (Alfloc) is no longer available.)

Biodiesel is just as stable as diesel fuel, make sure you are actually buying astm rated or national rating wherever you are located. Water is the main source of bacterial growth in fuel. Buy at a high turnover outlet, polish your fuel, maintain your filters.

#6 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

I've had bad experiences with biocide. It kills the bugs, the dead ones collect at the bottom of the tank and new live ones establish themselves. Repeat until there is a huge amount of dead shit in the tank.

Once I stopped using biocide the tank has stayed much cleaner, based on the sample of the bottom of the tank I take every spring.

#7 Fleetwood

Fleetwood

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Sailing
    rugby
    etc

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:09 AM

Some of the newer biocides decompose the bugs. Its in the article, might be true....
Which is better: decomposing bugs in the bottom of the tank, or bugs being busy making baby bugs?

#8 STYACHT

STYACHT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

Have a look at algae-x. Nevermind the name, it has nothing at all to do with anything biological and everything to do with paraffin I had a client that insisted on this product for a cruiser in the pacific, citing suppliers selling old diesel where the heating value boosting wax is coming out of solution. He remains convinced, and has more or less convinced me as well.

#9 Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:54 AM

We use exactly what Mack Boring (Northeast Yanmar distributor) recommends: FPPF +8 cetane booster and Biobor biocide.

#10 stranded

stranded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:cruising, racing, inshore and offshore

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:18 AM

I was advised not to use unless there was a problem

every 5 to 7 years, O rings in an injector pump need replacing ( starts to weep or leak )

the injector pump rebuilder said many additives are not good for the O rings .....

and and water removing additives usually include some type of alcohol, turning the tank into a water attractant

Do you remember when water in the petrol was " cured " by adding some methanol,

back in the day before sealed, non vented fuel tanks in cars ?

of course, the main problem here is yachts do not do many engine hours, store fuel for long periods etc etc

commercial boats have warm fuel from the excess fuel returning to the tank from the injector pump

evaporating moisture via the vent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users