• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 soling2003

soling2003

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts
  • Interests:sailing, of course, retired now. Diving, skiing, etc.

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:19 AM

Too busy to look up the separate yc's there. I'll be in Pearl Ridge area starting the 19th of Nov. for a week or so for Thanksgiving, then off to the big Island for three weeks, then back again to Pearl Ridge till the end of the year for Xmas. Any evening racing or weekends going on then in the Honolulu area? At this point I really don't care if it is big boats or dinghies. It is just a lot warmer than here in the PNW at this time of year! And I'll be gone for about 6 weeks, not sure if I can be so close to the water and not be able to sail for that long.
I'll be diving with me brother in law a bit, so I have that taken care of, just looking for a ride for a race or two. I will come bearing beer.

Thanks

#2 killapenguin

killapenguin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

Our regatta season is pretty much winding down until February, but your best bet is the Friday night beer can races, sponsored by Hawaii Yacht Club, or Wednesday nights at Keehi Lagoon (near the airport) on small keelboats.

For Friday nights, lots of boats take off from Waikiki Yacht Club, or walk the docks around 4:00 at the Ala Wai boat harbor. Or just send an email to "hyra dot publicity at gmail dot com" and my wife can probably get you onto a boat.

Kaneohe Yacht Club also has a beer can race (bulkhead race) every other Sunday (I think).

An integrated regatta calendar for the entire state can be found here:

http://hyra.us/files...dar_17Feb12.pdf

#3 Ned

Ned

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

Fridays at Waikiki YC or Wednesdays at Keehi if you're on the south side. The winter (indeed) evening races are my favourite, lighter air and twilight/post twilight sailing. Plus the occasional green flash on Fridays. Sweet!

#4 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,614 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

What they said - we just wrapped up the Beach Fleet season at WYC ( near shore racing ) on Sunday, but Fridays & Wednesdays go year-round and if that doesn't fit your schedule, PM me and we'll get you offshore - it's the SA way.

#5 soling2003

soling2003

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

Thanks all. Will do. I'll check our schedule of events when we get there and see what works best. Dec. 14 till xmas will probably work best.

There isn't anything on the Hilo side of the big island is there by chance?

What kind of boats are they racing for the small keel boats?

#6 soling2003

soling2003

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:00 AM

So who puts on the Wed. night small keelboat races? Where do the boats leave from usually? I'm staying at inlaws in Ewa Beach, so over on that side, but not far for the Friday races too.

Thanks, looking forward to leaveing the Seattle 45 deg. and rain weather behind on Monday Morning!!

#7 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

not the distance but the time
take the subway

#8 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,614 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

So who puts on the Wed. night small keelboat races? Where do the boats leave from usually? I'm staying at inlaws in Ewa Beach, so over on that side, but not far for the Friday races too.

Thanks, looking forward to leaveing the Seattle 45 deg. and rain weather behind on Monday Morning!!

Some witless crank named Dan usually sets a start (an old large, yellow plastic Big Bird toy) near the scrungy launch ramp area at Sand Island, Keehi lagoon.

What is left of the fleet this time of year (it's winter here too, afterall) will mostly depart from the prestigious La Mariana Sailing Club, (bring a tie) - or the State Marina, (bring protective footwear).

Sorry to hear about Ewa Beach location - at least I hope your inlaws are cool, - that actually DOES happen sometimes, oddly.

It's a sucky slog for anything (sailing wise) from there - Ko Olina is the closest harbor, but I don't think there is any organized activity down there (lots of day charter stuff to do though). Count on at least an hour to Waikiki on a Friday - Town-side of Oahu is an urban environment, afterall.

#9 soling2003

soling2003

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

Yeah, in laws are cool. It's all my wife's siblings who arein Ewa beach and Pearl Ridge.

Well, maybe I'll try this Friday then. Racing still going strong on day after thanksgiving?

I know about the traffic! Almost as bad as settles.

And though it may be winter, it sure doesn't feel like it to us guys from the northwest!

#10 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,614 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

If it's Friday, they will be at it.

Funny - and I suppose it happens other places too, but there are a number of boats that come out and really act the part of racers for the weekly beer can but never make it to the line for any of the organized weekend races, no matter how casual those are.

Can't figure that one out for the life of me.

#11 soling2003

soling2003

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:59 AM

Then I'll be there on friday. Anyone here need a crew?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users