• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#1 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,242 posts
  • Interests:Racing, diving, cycling, flying, pussy, shooting and any other action sports.

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

Alright anarchists.... I'm contemplating coming back to the US over Christmas and scoping out some places to buy a house. I need some help from the varied regional experts here.

I'm not going to be in the ME forever - I eventually want to come back to the US and live/work/sail somewhere really nice. My main impetus is I would like to take advantage of the relatively low home prices and scoop up something now while I can afford it before prices inevitably rise again. I feel like I have two options:

Option A: Buy a place I want to eventually live in in say 5-10 years when I get tired of the sandtrap over here. It needs to be somewhere that has a good mix of sailing (racing) / Defense related industry jobs / relatively depressed (or at least not inflated) home prices at the moment. I would buy the house, rent it until I moved home for good.

Option A Criteria: Needs to be somewhere relatively warm. I DON'T DO COLD! Probably Annapolis is about as far North as I would consider on the East coast and that's REALLY pushing it. I LOVE San Diego on the left coast - but cost of living is outrageous there. FL is the natural choice - I already have a home in Pensacola and I love the area - but not a ton of good jobs there. A little further East in Destin/Ft Walton Bch might be good with Eglin and Hurlburt AFBs there. Also considering Tampa/St Pete area. What is the real estate market like there?

Ideally, I would like to buy ON THE water somewhere if I am going to live there. Either on the beach, intercoastal or a lake. I need to be near water - there is nothing like walking out your back door and walking on the beach or up to the river/lake/intercoastal water's edge.

Option B: Just buy a rental house (or houses) anywhere there is a good bargin, rent, earn equity and then turn them over in 5-10 years and use the cash to buy something where I really want to end up for my later working years / retirement.

Option B criteria: Prestty much anywhere in the country that has a depressed real estate market where good deals can be had and prices are likely to increase the most. Also would need to be a good stable rental market. Las Vegas would be the natural choice with the hit we took there. But are there others I'm not considering?

I know there's pros and cons to both. Option A means my final place is 5-10 years older and more worn than when I bought it. Option B assumes that propery values will increase and I will make a profit on rental property. We've all see that there is no guarantee of that anymore.

Help me think this through because I know there are SA'ers all over the country that can give me the ground truth on an area under consideration.

I'm looking for insight into both the areas I mentioned as well as areas that I might not have even considered that fit into my criteria above. Thanks in advance!

#2 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,080 posts
  • Interests:Hobie Miracle 20

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

If I was contemplating living in the US I would buy in Asia. :P

The US is poised on the fiscal cliff. There's better places Jeff. Ol' mate Gayty still wants to go to France.

#3 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

Race City USA > Mooresville, NC

http://en.wikipedia...._North_Carolina

http://www.lakenormanyachtclub.com/

#4 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,221 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

If you want a defense job, from Virginia Beach up to Annapolis is basically the center of the universe. There are other hotbeds, but this is the granddaddy of them all.

#5 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

Yup...good alternative

#6 Shibby

Shibby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

get a job with Honeywell work from wherever and buy a weekend home in Miami...

#7 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

Miami sucks the big one,probably one of the worst places to live in the world...just saying....

#8 Shibby

Shibby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

Charleston, SC

#9 Shibby

Shibby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

Miami sucks the big one,probably one of the worst places to live in the world...just saying....

it meets option b requirements and is a good investment...

#10 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,221 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

That is just silly. Miami is spectacular.

Charleston, SC

Best city on the East Coast, but limited job opportunity.

#11 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,242 posts
  • Interests:Racing, diving, cycling, flying, pussy, shooting and any other action sports.

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

If you want a defense job, from Virginia Beach up to Annapolis is basically the center of the universe. There are other hotbeds, but this is the granddaddy of them all.

I could do VA beach. But I have very low desire to work inside the beltway and commute from anywhere I could likely afford. Lived in McClean for 3-4 months on a few occasions working a job and loved DC, but unless I could live close to work - the commute is a NO GO for me. I have a guaranteed job at a 3 letter agency in DC - but the thought of sitting in my car for 2 hours in the beltway parking lot at rush hour does not appeal to me even slightly.

Keep up the suggestions guys.... it helps me think this through. San Diego would be my ideal spot but I just don't know what the housing market is like. Are there any affordable areas in Dago that are nice to live? Or are the tax rates and cost of living just too stupid in CA?

#12 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,221 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

I agree, I would rather punch myself in the dick than do the beltway commute. Which is a shame as DC is a fun town. If you want to pursue contacts in this area in the future, I would happy to facilitate any introductions, plus, you have plenty of connections yourself.

I love San Diego, but it's not cheap, along with all of California. Personally, I fully plan on making a return to Santa Barbara though after a decade or so, it's heaven on earth. Plus, Raytheon is there if you are looking for DoD work, but I am not sure if techo wizardry is your thing or not.

I will say Dago honestly reminds me of West Coast Virginia Beach, but with better food. It just has the same suburban beach town vibe with plenty of Navy going on. And more $.

#13 grabbler

grabbler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Interests:Drinking beer.
    Mowing.
    Drinking beer while mowing.

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

Alright anarchists.... I'm contemplating coming back to the US over Christmas and scoping out some places to buy a house. I need some help from the varied regional experts here.

I'm not going to be in the ME forever - I eventually want to come back to the US and live/work/sail somewhere really nice. My main impetus is I would like to take advantage of the relatively low home prices and scoop up something now while I can afford it before prices inevitably rise again. I feel like I have two options:

Option A: Buy a place I want to eventually live in in say 5-10 years when I get tired of the sandtrap over here. It needs to be somewhere that has a good mix of sailing (racing) / Defense related industry jobs / relatively depressed (or at least not inflated) home prices at the moment. I would buy the house, rent it until I moved home for good.

Option A Criteria: Needs to be somewhere relatively warm. I DON'T DO COLD! Probably Annapolis is about as far North as I would consider on the East coast and that's REALLY pushing it. I LOVE San Diego on the left coast - but cost of living is outrageous there. FL is the natural choice - I already have a home in Pensacola and I love the area - but not a ton of good jobs there. A little further East in Destin/Ft Walton Bch might be good with Eglin and Hurlburt AFBs there. Also considering Tampa/St Pete area. What is the real estate market like there?

Ideally, I would like to buy ON THE water somewhere if I am going to live there. Either on the beach, intercoastal or a lake. I need to be near water - there is nothing like walking out your back door and walking on the beach or up to the river/lake/intercoastal water's edge.

Option B: Just buy a rental house (or houses) anywhere there is a good bargin, rent, earn equity and then turn them over in 5-10 years and use the cash to buy something where I really want to end up for my later working years / retirement.

Option B criteria: Prestty much anywhere in the country that has a depressed real estate market where good deals can be had and prices are likely to increase the most. Also would need to be a good stable rental market. Las Vegas would be the natural choice with the hit we took there. But are there others I'm not considering?

I know there's pros and cons to both. Option A means my final place is 5-10 years older and more worn than when I bought it. Option B assumes that propery values will increase and I will make a profit on rental property. We've all see that there is no guarantee of that anymore.

Help me think this through because I know there are SA'ers all over the country that can give me the ground truth on an area under consideration.

I'm looking for insight into both the areas I mentioned as well as areas that I might not have even considered that fit into my criteria above. Thanks in advance!

This....

#14 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

Charleston, SC

Unless, given Jeff's background, he can land something at Boeing, or Gulfstream down the road. I would agree about Charleston, by the way.

#15 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,221 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

It's possible, but I think there are headwinds with Boeings operation there. Certainly worth a go though.

#16 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,405 posts
  • Interests:Postponing my funeral 'til tomorrow....

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Now's the time to buy real estate in So Cal, Jeff. Trust me on this one, 'cuz it'll never get any cheaper than it is today.........

#17 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

That is just silly. Miami is spectacular.

You can have it...not my cup of tea.

Besides some of the worst crime rates in the country, I thought the drivers were some of the worst I've seen anywhere, worse then some areas in the NE.

On the up side...there are a lot of foreclosures in Miami...so there are probably some good deals to be had.

Helped my sister pack up and move outta there last year....she was glad to leave.

#18 Shibby

Shibby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

I agree, I would rather punch myself in the dick than do the beltway commute. Which is a shame as DC is a fun town. If you want to pursue contacts in this area in the future, I would happy to facilitate any introductions, plus, you have plenty of connections yourself.

I love San Diego, but it's not cheap, along with all of California. Personally, I fully plan on making a return to Santa Barbara though after a decade or so, it's heaven on earth. Plus, Raytheon is there if you are looking for DoD work, but I am not sure if techo wizardry is your thing or not.

I will say Dago honestly reminds me of West Coast Virginia Beach, but with better food. It just has the same suburban beach town vibe with plenty of Navy going on. And more $.

same traffic

#19 Nacradriver

Nacradriver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • Interests:Fast things

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

Check out this list...

http://www.military....job-cities.html

#20 MidPack

MidPack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

Now's the time to buy real estate in So Cal, Jeff. Trust me on this one, 'cuz it'll never get any cheaper than it is today.........

Guaranteed?

#21 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,405 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

Guaranteed?

Life is not guaranteed......but prices around here have just started to creep upwards. Still some time to play vulture and pick up some cheap carcasses of homes that were once some other family's dream, gone to shit....

#22 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,221 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

You can have it...not my cup of tea.

Besides some of the worst crime rates in the country, I thought the drivers were some of the worst I've seen anywhere, worse then some areas in the NE.

On the up side...there are a lot of foreclosures in Miami...so there are probably some good deals to be had.

Helped my sister pack up and move outta there last year....she was glad to leave.

Live and work in Coconut Grove, don't even need to own a car!

same traffic

True.

#23 volfan615

volfan615

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

Charleston, SC

+ 1

#24 MidPack

MidPack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Guaranteed?

Life is not guaranteed......but prices around here have just started to creep upwards. Still some time to play vulture and pick up some cheap carcasses of homes that were once some other family's dream, gone to shit....

Near term (next five years or so) odds are you're right, but "never" got my attention. Longer term, anything could happen...there's no guarantee the CA (and several other expensive states) premium will hold up indefinitely. Arguably, the downside risk for CA may still be higher than some other states for a variety of reasons. I have nothing against CA, we hoped to move to SD one day, until we stared pricing real estate and the fiscal challenges became more evident.

#25 Nacradriver

Nacradriver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

Guaranteed?

The only gaurentee is death and taxes...which California is getting real good at.

Costal areas in CA have been stable and are starting on the up-tick. Looked at a place the other day that was a rental for the past 20 years and it needed some serious attention and upgrades. It was listed @ $370K for its condition which was reasonable as the comps were at about $390K - $450K depending on lot and floor plan. This was the middle of the road floor plan and it sold for $370K in five days. A year ago I wouldn't have have offered more that $340K for it.

#26 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,109 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

Don't tell the others but you can get housing in a Good Area close to the Sea on the Cheap

Rents are High = Invest, get writeoff & make $$

You can make coin Localy w your background after you get out

It's facking Winter = We have 6 months of Sailing/Racing till Summer

PIC from Yesterday - I'm heading out now to shoot the LIPTON on me Yacht in Shorts

watch for me Yacht in the SDSU Game on the Midway @ 4pm E / 1pm DAGO

And I hear we have Good deals on Bikes B)

Posted Image

#27 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,242 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Guaranteed?

The only gaurentee is death and taxes...which California is getting real good at.

Costal areas in CA have been stable and are starting on the up-tick. Looked at a place the other day that was a rental for the past 20 years and it needed some serious attention and upgrades. It was listed @ $370K for its condition which was reasonable as the comps were at about $390K - $450K depending on lot and floor plan. This was the middle of the road floor plan and it sold for $370K in five days. A year ago I wouldn't have have offered more that $340K for it.

What kind of property does $370k get you there? Is that suburb or beachfront?

#28 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,242 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

Don't tell the others but you can get housing in a Good Area close to the Sea on the Cheap

PIC from Yesterday - I'm heading out now to shoot the LIPTON on me Yacht in Shorts

Posted Image

Don't worry woody, I've been to dago a lot! Love that town. Seems to have a lot of light air sailing days from what I hear though.... any truth to that?

#29 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,999 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

Have two bedroom houses there finally fallen below the mythical $0.5 million mark?

#30 Nacradriver

Nacradriver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

Guaranteed?

1500 square feet, 3 bedroons, 2 baths, 6000K square foot lot very close to the beach with possible a "stretch your neck" ocean view...

Here check this out this is pretty much the updated MLS of the area..

http://ventura-count...l-estate-search

#31 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,242 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Guaranteed?

1500 square feet, 3 bedroons, 2 baths, 6000K square foot lot very close to the beach with possible a "stretch your neck" ocean view...

Here check this out this is pretty much the update MLS of the area..

http://ventura-count...l-estate-search

Thanks! That rocks!

#32 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,109 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

Posted Image

Don't worry woody, I've been to dago a lot! Love that town. Seems to have a lot of light air sailing days from what I hear though.... any truth to that?

the number of days you can't sail someplace else exceeds the light air daz in DAGO

We get some chalanging conditions "Often"

like the LIPTON Cup having the upper limit of Wind Yesterday

Who care if it's Light Air if You're out enjoying it 365

In DAGO $370 won't put you on the Beach / However 5-10min inland an you're Good

You can get places in Pt Loma / Bay Park for around that

Bay Park has Better Weather than closer to the Coast and is right next to Mission Bay

Trophy Homes are $$$$$$$$$$$ Up & Down the Coast

You can pick an Excelent Deal right Now if you look around

DAGO has homes with Large Yards for your Boat or RV(s) that don't go for more than those lacking

EVERYONE ELSE Don't Listin to this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#33 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,242 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

the number of days you can't sail someplace else exceeds the light air daz in DAGO

We get some chalanging conditions "Often"

like the LIPTON Cup having the upper limit of Wind Yesterday

Who care if it's Light Air if You're out enjoying it 365

In DAGO $370 won't put you on the Beach / However 5-10min inland an you're Good

You can get places in Pt Loma / Bay Park for around that

Bay Park has Better Weather than closer to the Coast and is right next to Mission Bay

Trophy Homes are $$$$$$$$$$$ Up & Down the Coast

You can pick an Excelent Deal right Now if you look around

DAGO has homes with Large Yards for your Boat or RV(s) that don't go for more than those lacking

EVERYONE ELSE Don't Listin to this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks woody. Goood stuff

#34 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,454 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

South West Florida- good sailing, excellent housing prices, no work. Bring your money with you or starve.

#35 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,242 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

South West Florida- good sailing, excellent housing prices, no work. Bring your money with you or starve.

Define SW FL? Ft Meyers?

#36 Bull Gator

Bull Gator

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,280 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

Tampa.

But scum like you are not welcome...

#37 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,454 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

Define SW FL? Ft Meyers?

Port Charlotte, Venice really, south to Naples. Ft. Myers/Cape Coral is probably the center. However, I require that you learn to eat chitlins.

#38 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,242 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

Tampa.

Hey cockboy, I heard the house next to your moms was for sale. Maybe we can be next-door neighbors and hang out, you and I. Maybe you could teach me to shoot your Glock. We could fantasize about shooting regressives together. Wouldn't that be cool?

#39 Kaptainkriz

Kaptainkriz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, duh!
    Tanzer 25 #28, Akoni
    Capri 30 #11, Rock Lobster (sold)
    http://www.tqci.net/~jkriz/Tanzer25.html

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

Spawarsyscom

Charleston, SC

Unless, given Jeff's background, he can land something at Boeing, or Gulfstream down the road. I would agree about Charleston, by the way.

#40 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,254 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

Tampa bay area is cool. decent sailing, close to some fairly major regattas for various classes that come to florida in the winter, etc. No idea what the defense jobs would be like, though. My gut feeling is that the housing market is still relatively depressed, but thats only from casual conversations with people. I wouldnt worry about gaytard, he has yet to show himself in public anyway.

#41 Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Interests:N/A

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

Houston/Galveston, if I had to tip my hat in one direction. The economy is robust, the cost of living is among the lowest in the country, and standard of living is very high.

The traffic sucks, but if you buy or a lease in the general vicinity of your workplace, you can overcome most of that.

Just my 2 cents

#42 Bull Gator

Bull Gator

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,280 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:49 PM

Tampa.

Hey cockboy, I heard the house next to your moms was for sale. Maybe we can be next-door neighbors and hang out, you and I. Maybe you could teach me to shoot your Glock. We could fantasize about shooting regressives together. Wouldn't that be cool?

Sounds gay faggot

Nttawwt

#43 MidPack

MidPack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

Tampa.

Lived there for 3 years, kept our boat at StP Muni and did some racing out of DIYC. We concluded good sailing in winter and some spring and fall, but way too many light air days in summer, and hot & humid of course. Not bad, but you can do better in our view. YMMV

#44 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,765 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:24 AM

We have nasty bugs, horrible traffic, un bearably hot summers, lousy schools, dismal winter weatehr, the sailing sucks, taxes are high as hell, crime is rampant...
don't move anywhere near Austin....

#45 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:28 AM

and the lake is down...

#46 Shibby

Shibby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:35 AM

We have nasty bugs, horrible traffic, un bearably hot summers, lousy schools, dismal winter weatehr, the sailing sucks, taxes are high as hell, crime is rampant...
don't move anywhere near Austin....

Don't forget the unmanaged sexually transmitted disease pandemic and the high cost of liquor...

#47 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:41 AM

and the humidity,the ex-Californians, the heart attack inducing eateries, the long stop lights, the Le Mans mentality drivers, homeless people begging everywhere, way to many yuppies and hippies, and the female to male ratio is deplorable.

#48 Kent H

Kent H

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:51 AM

Does anyone have any other ideas other than

Near Annapolis
Charleston
Miami
Coconut Beach
North Charlotte / Lake Norman

BTW Lake Norman YC seems to be headed downhill in memberships. Anybody there know what is up?

Annapolis - I was surprised at my search for lower priced housing in Annapolis. Stuff that is rentable. Two to three bedroom townhouses. However is there areas that you just do not go do to crime? Is that why I am seeing the lower prices? When I search "Annapolis" the addresses are Annapolis. Is these areas the ones with the Townhouses at $75k in a bad neighborhood?

Any info on Florida is appreciated. Miami info is easily found on the web but Coconut beach et al is a pretty tough to come by.

Charleston - I think that is where Jeff needs to end up.

Renting properties - Laws have changed that benefit the renter in many areas. He needs to be very careful
Health Care - Living out in never never land not near real hospitals is not a good idea. Driving to all those appointments is tough when you get older
Life outside of work - DC are kidding me - Really. There is a reason why the President can only serve eight years at most.

The only other place I can think of is Savanah GA.

#49 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:11 AM

Where do you live now? Are you trying to get away from your family and friends?

#50 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,080 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:55 AM

Jeff's working in the Middle East I believe.

#51 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

Yup...the question was for Kent H

#52 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,080 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

Duh! :P

#53 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

OK....you sober?

#54 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,583 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

Jeff,

Given the UAS experience, I'd look at Text and Eval areas. Areas around operational bases, VA Bch, San Diego, Los Vegas, etc are saturated with military retirees and the pay scale reflects excess labor.

In no particular order:

Pax - Growing UAS focus, strong economy, proximity to DC keeps salaries reasonably high. Low unemployment, even at the worst of the recession. Good sailing without the Naptown crush. Good local club for racing at SMSA. MD taxes suck. Affordable housing for the most part. Waterfront "affordable" compared to most areas.

Emerald Coast (FWB/Eglin). F-35 centric. Not much in the way of UAS so far. Affordable housing. Waterfront affordable if you can find insurance. Shallow water, low bridges in the bays limit big boats but good sailing for smaller ones.

San Diego - UAS development and production. Expensive, crowded. Lots of retired military so competition for jobs is high. Great climate.

Dayton. Enough said....

Annapolis. Expensive. More IT/Intel (Ft Meade) than hardware/ops. Plenty of sailing. Crowded waters.

#55 chinabald

chinabald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,498 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

For $370,000 you can get 7 rentals that will all pay for themselves in 4 years, around here. Then when you sell them you will already have all of your money back plus the appreciation, which is starting to happen again.

#56 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,080 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

OK....you sober?

Yeah, pretty much.

#57 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

OK...so I'll take that with a grain of salt

#58 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,080 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

Posted Image

#59 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

Wanna bet...some of the best stories I've heard have been over a cup of coffee.

#60 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,080 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

The coffees I've had, the yarns I've heard. :D

I can honestly say that mine production increases by 50% in the bar. It get's done twice after work

#61 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

First person to talk work has to buy a round, next person to talk work has to buy two....and so it goes...

#62 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,405 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

First person to talk work has to buy a round, next person to talk work has to buy two....and so it goes...

You obviously have no friends that own strip clubs....

#63 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

Never worked in a strip club...but actually I have a friend that used to own a strip club...

#64 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,080 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

I try to buy the first round. It gets silly most nights.

Buy your shout and get out.

#65 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

I don't drink beer or hard pop like I once did....but still have fond memories of 2-5 day parties, with the usual treats.... :rolleyes:

Last big one with treats for everyone was in 2008 and we didn't talk work at that one either.

#66 Kent H

Kent H

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

Where do you live now? Are you trying to get away from your family and friends?

Jeff and me are in similar circumstances. Each has a few advantages over the other but trying to make the same decision. A job in DC is extremely easy I just do not see the drive. Then I look at prices and I see how I can make it work by living in DC. The problem is that I have friends in DC and I can't say that their life is very enjoyable. It is one thing to go to school there. Completely another to try to do this and not live on the metro.

Charleston and Miami - Both places I felt like I was on vacation even when I was working there.

The suggestion for Jeff about PAX does seem like a good idea. I agree about the water front property point as well.

The Florida part I had not considered.

Family and friends - They are definitely not here!!! Where here is I will keep to myself.

My first thought was Charleston and after that I really do not have a second.

#67 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,221 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

Wanna bet...some of the best stories I've heard have been over a cup of coffee.

No Boom, not the telling of the story....

I try to buy the first round. It gets silly most nights.

Buy your shout and get out.

Promise? I'll have to pass through one day.

#68 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

I understand fully, that's why futher down I only said treats....the delicate crowd around here might not take to kindly to what treats.

BTW...seen some pretty amazing things happen that would make great stories.... and everyone was stone cold sober....

and seen some crazy schiit when everyone wasn't sober... :rolleyes:

#69 Rum Runner

Rum Runner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

Charleston, SC

+1 Good mix of everything.

#70 crustybowman

crustybowman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Water Sports

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

Look into Corpus Christi, Texas.

NAS Corpus, Corpus Christi Army Depot, year-round warm climate, strong winds, great sailing......

Close to Austin (F1 race!), Houston, and San Antonio

I've got a condo 2 miles from the marina along Ocean Drive with a breathtaking view. Drop me an e:mail, we can talk.

#71 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

I dont understand how you can be so intent on being ON THE WATER and then talk about Vegas... or are you talking buying rental property somewhere that you don't live?

#72 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

Maybe he likes sailing on Lake Mead.

#73 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

I'd buy a house near Bora in Detroit, and get a foiling moth and a .45. $75,000 gets you something real nice on the canal! Use the extra money for a nice cabin in Northern Michigan and a small condo in Southern Florida...
http://www.zillow.co.../88299216_zpid/

#74 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

I wouldn't live any place but the NW for anything :)

#75 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

I wouldn't live any place but the NW for anything :)

yeah its perfect if you're in the rain business

#76 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

Depends on where you live up here....where we live on the edge of the rain shadow from the Olympic is less then most of the rest.

But if you like rainfall, you'll love Florida...

http://www.worldatla...ps/flprecip.htm

Michigan is not to bad compared to Florida, but more then the 25 inches we get here a year.

http://www.worldatla...ps/miprecip.htm

#77 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,242 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

For $370,000 you can get 7 rentals that will all pay for themselves in 4 years, around here. Then when you sell them you will already have all of your money back plus the appreciation, which is starting to happen again.

Where is here?

#78 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,242 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

Jeff,

Given the UAS experience, I'd look at Text and Eval areas. Areas around operational bases, VA Bch, San Diego, Los Vegas, etc are saturated with military retirees and the pay scale reflects excess labor.

In no particular order:

Pax - Growing UAS focus, strong economy, proximity to DC keeps salaries reasonably high. Low unemployment, even at the worst of the recession. Good sailing without the Naptown crush. Good local club for racing at SMSA. MD taxes suck. Affordable housing for the most part. Waterfront "affordable" compared to most areas.

Emerald Coast (FWB/Eglin). F-35 centric. Not much in the way of UAS so far. Affordable housing. Waterfront affordable if you can find insurance. Shallow water, low bridges in the bays limit big boats but good sailing for smaller ones.

San Diego - UAS development and production. Expensive, crowded. Lots of retired military so competition for jobs is high. Great climate.

Dayton. Enough said....

Annapolis. Expensive. More IT/Intel (Ft Meade) than hardware/ops. Plenty of sailing. Crowded waters.

I hadn't thought of PAX. Interesting choice. I spent a week there TDY and thought it was a nice sleepy town. Perfect. Also had an interesting encounter with a MILF there. A story for another time.

Las Vegas.... I just left there. I could get a $150K job/year there tomorrow - but not much sailing. Great shooting though.... I'd go back to Vegas in a heartbeat.

I would love SD, but I'm not sure they would appreciate my gun collection :ph34r:

#79 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

Depends on where you live up here....where we live on the edge of the rain shadow from the Olympic is less then most of the rest.

Michigan is not to bad compared to Florida, but more then the 25 inches we get here a year.

right so when the weather is shitty in michigan, you live in florida as its nice down there then

#80 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,221 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

Jeff,

In no particular order:

Dayton. Enough said....

I hadn't thought of PAX. Interesting choice. I spent a week there TDY and thought it was a nice sleepy town. Perfect. Also had an interesting encounter with a MILF there. A story for another time.

Las Vegas.... I just left there. I could get a $150K job/year there tomorrow - but not much sailing. Great shooting though.... I'd go back to Vegas in a heartbeat.

I would love SD, but I'm not sure they would appreciate my gun collection :ph34r:

PAX is certainly a good spot, and depending on how far you want to drive, you can live on the Va. side of the Potomac. To me, an hour clean driving is not like an hour of traffic, but YMMV

#81 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,109 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

Jeff,

In no particular order:

Dayton. Enough said....

Bring It !!!!

The MILF that is :rolleyes:

I got 2 words to help you make up your mind

HAT DAY :wub:

& about time for a Real SoCal ShootEmUp

Big MoFo Desert just over the Hill, Ocean Right Here & lakes around

Check the News Headlines for all places suggested

DAGO = SUCKS

Everywhere else = Storms, Ice, On and On and On

From here you can visit "There"

#82 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

right so when the weather is shitty in michigan, you live in florida as its nice down there then

Rains way less in the winter then it does in the summer in Florida, but it still rains about everyday, you can almost set your watch by it.

#83 Kaptainkriz

Kaptainkriz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, duh!
    Tanzer 25 #28, Akoni
    Capri 30 #11, Rock Lobster (sold)
    http://www.tqci.net/~jkriz/Tanzer25.html

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

I keep my boat on base. It's 20 minutes from my desk to the start line. :). It's as far as you can get from san diego in many ways though.

I hadn't thought of PAX. Interesting choice. I spent a week there TDY and thought it was a nice sleepy town.

#84 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,999 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

Wait a sec ... you need some area of the country that is big in government aviation, aviation manufacturing, relatively affordable housing, reasonable sailing, good weather?

Pensacola / Mobile area. Best choice in my opinion. My inlaws live in Daphne (and you can ping PLCHacker) there is a lot of government aviation contracting down there, and amazing deals on housing. It's not nearly as hot as the rest of the Sunbelt, because of the ocean breezes, and the sailing may not be California or Chesapeake worthy, but it's apparently pretty decent. Economy is doing very well down there, but the housing industry didn't find out about that yet.

Northrop Grumman, Brookley Aeroplex, lots of government aviation and Gulf aviation all around Pensacola / Mobile. Traffic is manageable, and you can potentially even work in Pensacola and live somewhere in Gulf Shores.

Seriously, ping PLCHacker, he knows the area and the industry inside-out.

There are Gators down there though, but maybe you can get one as a pup and train it to temporarily make friends with Bull Gator.

#85 Kent H

Kent H

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

- Extremely good point that I forgot about. - Big plus for San Diego and Pax is the base has a marina. I do not know the waitlist thought. So yes Jeff could keep a boat there.

- Pennsacola - I know a couple of people from Pennsacola and they both want to go home. Must be good. Jeff has been there so he is familiar with it.

#86 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,999 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

- Extremely good point that I forgot about. - Big plus for San Diego and Pax is the base has a marina. I do not know the waitlist thought. So yes Jeff could keep a boat there.

- Pennsacola - I know a couple of people from Pennsacola and they both want to go home. Must be good. Jeff has been there so he is familiar with it.

I've not spent too much time in Pensacola, but Gulf Shores in Alabama is beautiful. My wife and kids spend several weeks a year down there; Foley, Daphne, Spanish Fort. Most of my in-laws have moved down there.

#87 Kent H

Kent H

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

Alabama is pushing aviation.

Airbus is opening an A320 assembly line there

http://www.airbus.co...cas/us/alabama/

#88 MoeAlfa

MoeAlfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,322 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

If it's like NSA Annapolis, the retiree wait for a slip is very long and you can get bumped by active duty when the place fills up.

#89 Bird

Bird

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:10 AM

Coastal Texas. Corpus or south of Houston. Corpus has Naval Air Station CC and CC Army Depot maintenance facility. Killer sailing, good fishing and good night life. Houston has NASA and all the related contractors as well as Space X. Acitive year 'round racing, cheap housing, even on the water, good fishing year around too. Since it's Texas, bring all the guns you can amigo.

#90 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:40 AM

Rains way less in the winter then it does in the summer in Florida, but it still rains about everyday, you can almost set your watch by it.

uhhhhh not so much... lol

#91 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,109 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:01 AM

Coastal Texas. Corpus or south of Houston. Corpus has Naval Air Station CC and CC Army Depot maintenance facility. Killer sailing, good fishing and good night life. Houston has NASA and all the related contractors as well as Space X. Acitive year 'round racing, cheap housing, even on the water, good fishing year around too. Since it's Texas, bring all the guns you can amigo.

Texas home of MADD

girl I know moved there got a DUI & a $1000 fine for each of the next 10 years

That Will follow you around where ever you go

Oh that on top of all the other B$ related

#92 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,242 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

I love Pcola! Best tour of duty in my AF career! I still own a house there and am likely going to head there for Christmas to look around. I didn't get the impression there were a lot of jobs there though.....

#93 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,583 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

I love Pcola! Best tour of duty in my AF career! I still own a house there and am likely going to head there for Christmas to look around. I didn't get the impression there were a lot of jobs there though.....

Not a lot of 150k jobs. You can balance that with a lower cost of living there. Airbus plant was built for the tanker that went to Boeing and the upcoming defense cuts won't help. We are generally way over facilitized for building military aircraft these days. Direct contractor support (SETA) is on a slight downslope and salaries are under pressure as the USG is moving to "lowest cost".

#94 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,085 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

It rains about once a week here from around October through February, whenever a cold front passes through.

After the last one goes away about the end of February, it is not unusual for me to see zero or one day with rainfall until May. It gets dusty dry. Then it rains most every day through about the end of September. Those are the afternoon watch-setters.

#95 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

:lol:

I'm just busting him in the chops....

#96 Shibby

Shibby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

I understand fully, that's why futher down I only said treats....the delicate crowd around here might not take to kindly to what treats.

BTW...seen some pretty amazing things happen that would make great stories.... and everyone was stone cold sober....

and seen some crazy schiit when everyone wasn't sober... :rolleyes:

Scooby snacks???

#97 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

A wide range of treats....from mild to wild....

#98 plchacker

plchacker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

I've lived on Lake Norman (Denver NC, across the lake from Mooresville)- great place back in the day. Not sure what it is like now. NC is different. Things to like: Rock Climbing is decent, Lake Norman is a great lake to sail. Charlotte is a kicking town. On the down side, you are very close to true hillbillies, the culture outside the Charlotte area is truly different - The only place I have ever seen a cross burned (KKK Rally) was not far from my home in NC. The only place I have wittnessed gun fights in the street, again NC ("Aw that's jest them Higgen's boys, they get that way evry now an' agin.") Honestly, stray too far and you will hear banjo's tuning up. (not the good kind either)

Given the choice of Pensicola or Destin, Destin by a long shot. Destin certainly has the boats, not sure about racing. I like to run down to Destin every once in a while. Great area. The Santa Rosa Sound area is nice in general.

Charleston SC is a great place too.

To be honest, I always loved the Great Lakes. It is just too damn cold in the winter.

Corpus Christi would be worth a serious look. As would Savannah, both great places to visit. Not sure about job prospects or Real Estate costs.

Mobile has a good deal of aircraft industry - (not so much defense work) Airbus is starting productrion- great campus great enviornment from what I could tell. The sailing/racing is concentrated in the Dog River area. Great folks. I slip a little further South at Fowl River. (Closer to Dauphin Island - open Gulf)

#99 Kent H

Kent H

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

Thanks PLC Hacker - Yes I have to agree with exactly what you are saying about Lake Norman / Charlotte. As for Sailing looking at the LNYC site I see participation way down from my visits. I have seen discount offers and I believe a waiver of initiation fees. Housing is beyond dirt cheap in North Charlotte. I really question living in that area.

For Jeff the whole Pax area sounds like it needs further investigation. Last night I spent some time online looking at waterfront or near waterfront property, various clubs and other stuff. Now I am interested!

For Jeff that could be the place for a good job as well. Unmanned work seems to be taking off.

I am and will continue to exchange PM's with Jeff on this subject but anymore even minor information or opinions on the PAX River area is much appreciated.

This is a big deal yet at the same time being single and mid 40's gives more options than usual. Throw in the vested healthcare and some money coming in and the possibilities become greater.

Charleston is definitely a good place for the social side of the equation. I am a little leery of PAX. Charleston and Miami are a lot of fun. Even when work took me there it was like I was on vacation.

Maryland - I keep hearing complaints about taxes. Also I hear complaints about new laws that make renting your place or for investment a problem as renters now have more rights. Any opinions on this would definitely help Jeff - Very tough to deal with a major legal problem with your rental if you are not in the Country.

Charleston - Lower taxes and no new laws mean that your rental can be handled by the management company. That is going to be a huge deal for Jeff.

Opinions on Maryland?

From everything that I read JEFF DOES NOT DO COMMUTES!!! - My take is if he could he would roll out of bed open the door and be at work. So unless the job within a couple minutes of the state line I think he is going to live in Maryland.

#100 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

Not a lot of 150k jobs. You can balance that with a lower cost of living there. Airbus plant was built for the tanker that went to Boeing and the upcoming defense cuts won't help. We are generally way over facilitized for building military aircraft these days. Direct contractor support (SETA) is on a slight downslope and salaries are under pressure as the USG is moving to "lowest cost".

Boy you said a MOUTHFUL....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users