3 replies to this topic

#1 Ozsailer

Ozsailer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Hello all,
yes I know I'm a newbie, dont know nuthin and I'll go have sexual intercourse with myself then HTFU after I write this but for now having got the pleasantries out of the way I need some assistance from your collective knowledge. I have a 38ft Centre Cockpit which I have been gradually upgrading over the last five years. Nearly finished to go cruising and just outfitting the final electronics. I am now ready to install a Chartplotter and all the new models appear to be touch screen. I am leaning towards the Garmin 720S and the Simrad NSS7. The only problem I have is that where I plan to mount the GPS neare the binacle can get a bit damp in rainy conditions and I have concerns that if the face of the touch screen is wet it will not function as the water will stop the sensor in the screen from working. I recall wacthing a youtube video not so long ago clearly depicting this. I can relocate the unit to under the dodger but this is someway where it would be easily seen while underway if I were at the wheel. There is a Lowrance 2 generation chartplotter that works the same as the touch screen model that works via buttons and rotary switches. Your advise is most welcome.

Greg H
Lake Macquarie
New South Wales
Land Down Under

#2 b6sfull

b6sfull

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

I went with the Garmin 740 over the Simrad NSS7 as i felt the graphics were much better, however, the Simrad has a faster processor. Played with my Garmin this past season and I like it. Keep in mind the 720/740 plotters are stand alone units. The Simrad NSS7 can interact with your other electronics you may have onboard.
My Garmin is mounted at the binnacle, open to the elements. It never let me down in dry or wet conditions. I saw that vid also and i was worried too. Its all bulshit IMHO.
You cant go wrong with either unit. If you see radar in your future, Simrad have 4G broadband radar avail. Go with that one.

#3 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,653 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

Keep in mind that these units have magnets that hold the chip door closed. The manufacturers recommend at least 39" from the steering compass, which can complicate mounting on the binnacle...

#4 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

Keep in mind that these units have magnets that hold the chip door closed. The manufacturers recommend at least 39" from the steering compass, which can complicate mounting on the binnacle...

Given how many sailors like to mount these things on the binnacle, using magnets seems ridiculous to me. There are many ways to keep a chip door closed. Either the designers of these things are dumb or they assume that the compass is just for looks these days, and owners won't mind making it unreliable.

The reality is the compass is just a backup now. Maybe the GPS should replace the compass for these people.

Personally, I like the radar display under the dodger.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users