#1 Serenissima

Serenissima

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Sailing and cooking.

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:15 AM

Hello all!
I'm wondering if any of you could share any stories of Bill or the Mistress Quickly crew as he was my father. I'm very interested about his sailing past from the sailor's standpoint as all I know are the MQ records and nothing else. Thank you for your help!

#2 P_Wop

P_Wop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:01 AM

Well, it's sad to see this thread slip away without comment.

I did several race series on Mistress in the late 80s in Antigua and the Med. Your father Bill was the most wonderful gentleman yachtsman of the day - and dedicated to loads of fun too. Crew parties were epic - the one at Loews in Nassau lives in memory. As was the crew: George Chew; Bob Cooper; Piggy; Shag; Froggy; Basic; Peter Bowker; and more. A cast of extraordinary people.

PM me for more.

The short bio in Preben Nyeland's book "Maxi" - written in 97-98 - says a lot. Find a copy. http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/0517104407

And please say hi to William for me.

Posted Image

#3 charlie y

charlie y

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:58 AM

I remember Bill as a gentleman and a wonderfully generous person to sail for .He and M.Q (ex Ballyhoo,bob miller, ben lexen fame) attracted an amazing variety of the great names in the sailing world and also a very loyal group of crew . she was always a very happy boat due to Bills generosity  and the crew she attracted .I remember meeting him for the first time in St thomas when he first looked at her with him taking us all out to lunch in a hilltop restaurent.Ballyhoo origionally came over from Australia to sail the Fastnet which i think she got line honors.We then sailed her across the Atlantic via Canarys ,Barbados Antigua ect to do the S.O.R.C but owner Jack Rooklyn decided to sell her.she was listed with Ardells in florida.Bill then bought her and gave her a total refit in Directors in Florida in her beautifull new royal blue.She then sailed back to the Med. to her home base then of Porto Santo Stefano north of Rome,and started a new life.I remember his son ,young Bill and his daughter Lizzie but did not realize there were more family.Bill and M.Q gave many sailors a lot of happy memories.If I remember correctly he died in the early 90s.Have some great photos if any interest.She seems to have dissappeared of the radar these days tho iam sure she is in the Med some where having found reference to her in a boatyard in greece.Bill was a great one for the classics hence the name Misstress Quickley i think a shakespearian character.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users