#1 NautiGirl

NautiGirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,155 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:30 AM

can someone explain how this works?
The so is doing a delivery, and they have a Spot tracker.
I've tried to follow the links sent to me, and they don't work, so I emailed the guy who owns the Spot and was told "The spot messages that we sent last night, will not work. I logged into the account this morning and deleted all those GPS locations. Once JXXXXXXXX checks in and you receive an e-mail you will only then be able to view their location. Keep me posted as to if the links are working once we start getting OK messages"

This afternoon, I textld the SO and told him the Spot wasn't registering. and he said he'd look into. Also, in the highly unlikely case that something was to go wrong and a message was sent via the spot, would that go out to everyone registered on the Spot email? (Because I am not ok with that)

#2 pipe dream

pipe dream

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

We have a spot tracker in our work vehicles in case of emergencies out of phone range.

The boss has the account set up to do different things depending on which button gets pushed. In the account settings you can specify phone numbers for texts and email addresses for emails.

The messages should only go to who is listed (except when the SOS button is pushed, in which case the emergency services are notified too).

You need the user name and login of the relevant tracker to check all this out (or talk to the owner of the tracker).

#3 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

nautigirl, what pipe dream said. However, if they get the damn thing working, don't be surprised if the website has drop-offs occasionally. It's happened to me twice, both in cases where we were using the spot as "reassurance" for family and friends that we were ok. The first time was last summer when we sailed to bermuda - it dropped off about 200 miles off shore and didn't re-register until we were about 100 miles from Bermuda. The second time was during the greenport ocean race last month where it dropped off about 2/3 of the way to block island and didn't re-appear until after 1BI. We had no idea in either case but it was pretty nervewracking for those on shore.

#4 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,553 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

Please all keep in mind a Spot < EPIRB/PLB for actual distress ;)

#5 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

k_i_s, I would never consider a spot to be a viable alternative to a true epirb/plb. from my experience with it so far, it is a cute toy to let friends and family follow you on a grand adventure - maybe. usually. but it plays no role in the safety preparations I make.

#6 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,994 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

k_i_s, I would never consider a spot to be a viable alternative to a true epirb/plb. from my experience with it so far, it is a cute toy to let friends and family follow you on a grand adventure - maybe. usually. but it plays no role in the safety preparations I make.

I share your personal views and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

#7 NautiGirl

NautiGirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,155 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

Thanks guys. It appears that it isn't set up to update their position automatically. (I've only tracked someone via spot once before, and the positions were updated frequently, so that's why I was wondering if I was doing something wrong) Sounds like one of the guys has to think to push a button to update (2 positions are showing, 5 and 9 hours ago). Better than nothing, I suppose. I never did get an email telling me there was an update.

K_I_S, I realize that a Spot is not an effective emergency notification device. I was just curious if in the unlikely event something does go wrong, how the notification part works. If I understand Pipe Dream correctly, an emergency notification would be sent to everyone who gets the email notifications. I'd never dream of going offshore without an EPIRB. The Spot is, as pointed out above, just a toy for those of us stuck at home.

#8 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

K_I_S, I realize that a Spot is not an effective emergency notification device. I was just curious if in the unlikely event something does go wrong, how the notification part works. If I understand Pipe Dream correctly, an emergency notification would be sent to everyone who gets the email notifications. I'd never dream of going offshore without an EPIRB. The Spot is, as pointed out above, just a toy for those of us stuck at home.

Just to clarify the above. . . there are two buttons: SOS and HELP. The SOS button in fact does NOT send a message to the e-mail notification list. It sends a message to GEOS (A company that specialized in coordinating emergency response). They then call the listed emergency contacts on the SPOT registration, and the USCG (if the SOS message had a lat/long in it). So, the SOS button does not immediately make things 'public' - in fact GEOS is very aware and concerned bout privacy issues. The HELP button can be programed to do pretty much whatever you want - such as e-mail TOWUS or e-mail your primary contacts.

#9 NautiGirl

NautiGirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,155 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

Ok, thanks for clarifying.

#10 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

NautiGirl, it's easy to forget to hold the button long enough to get the automatic updates. If you don't, then it only updates when the button is pressed. It's actually a pita to use most times..

#11 NutCase27

NutCase27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

Is spot picked up by Satellite?

#12 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

Is spot picked up by Satellite?

yes, it's owned by Globalstar and uses their sats.

#13 NautiGirl

NautiGirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,155 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

NautiGirl, it's easy to forget to hold the button long enough to get the automatic updates. If you don't, then it only updates when the button is pressed. It's actually a pita to use most times..

Well, the BO has spoke to his wife here in Halifax a couple of times, and maybe she requested that they update it more frequently, because there were about 4 updates over the last 24 hours. I'm ok that they don't have updates every 10 minutes. I don't believe any of the crew has much experience using Spot--someone offered it to them--so they probably don't know they can hold the button down for automatic updates. If I'm talking to Gumby on their stop in Bermuda, I'll mention it. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users