#1 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:43 AM

(x-post from CA)

Our friends at GOB (Good Old Boat, for those who are unwashed) are looking for Cal 39 owners for an upcoming article. If interested, PM me and I'll put you in touch with the guy in charge of that stuff.

#2 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

I guess I can understand why there aren't any Cal 39 Owners. The impression I'm getting is that it's the worst of both worlds: Sail and Boat.

#3 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

You were supposed to put worst Cal ever in the title to attract some replies....just saying.... :)

#4 slap

slap

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

Isn't it like a 39' version of the Mac26X?

#5 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

You were supposed to put worst Cal ever in the title to attract some replies....just saying.... :)

yeah, should have started out that way.

Still, managed to get some PMs from it :D

good one slap

#6 Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • Interests:N/A

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

Check out the owner's forum

http://www.cal39.inf...l39roster.shtml

#7 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

Can put you in touch with an X-owner and I'm an ex BN on one

#8 Darrel J

Darrel J

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:05 AM

My dad owned a 1971 version for many years. I spent a lot of miles offshore on that boat. With a flat (for the day,) bottom and a bulb keel, it was ahead of its time. By today's standards it was a heavy slug. But in the day it did okay. Surfed to 14 or 15 knots, and bulletproof. Major rounddown in the dark Pacific and the deck-stepped rig stayed put. Good times. Loved that boat.
NOT the worst ever Cal. Maybe the later ones though.

#9 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:00 AM

It's far from Cal's worse design, in fact, one of the better designs.

A little insight as why worst was brought up.....http://forums.sailin...howtopic=141620

#10 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,761 posts
  • Interests:Postponing my funeral 'til tomorrow....

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:45 AM

Hmmm, I've always thought they were pretty good looking boats myself.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:14 AM

Ricky, I know you live a raster sort of life, but this thread has vector all over it.

So your lack of attention span is understandable.

hey look! a bunny!

Posted Image

:P

#12 jhiller

jhiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

Some guy named Perry who lurks on this forum making snarky remarks from time to time wrote a review about the Cal 39 which may be found on page 100 of volume II of Sailing Designs.

#13 Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit

Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

We had a Cal 39 down here in New Orleans, a yellow hull originally named 'Top Banana'. She was purchased and the new owner put a Peterson 43 keel on her. It was way too stiff so we then blew a 1' x 2' hole in the middle and filled it with epoxy. Really made the boat go upwind.

#14 Foxxy

Foxxy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

There were at least two and maybe 3 different versions of the Cal 39. The last was built at the O'Day factory in Fall River (1987-1989) and designed by C Raymond Hunt Associates. The former were Bill Lapworth designs and built in the Costa Mesa factory (before 1982) and later in the Tampa FL factory (1982-1985)

#15 Dave

Dave

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

The O'day version and Lapworth designs were two totally different boats. The Lapworth also came in multiple versions (SD, DD, TM, etc). I sailed on a Mk II TM (with a deeper draft) which was a very good boat. I believe the boats were a update to the Cal 40 design.

#16 Kent H

Kent H

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

Let me wade into this most controversial of issues with my considerable eagerness and utilize my black belt in google as well as do my community service for some of my less than good posts of the last week or so....

I believe...that this is the deal...

Cal 39 MK 1 - Lapworth - 1970-71 production may have ceased due to IOR rule and lack of orders http://sailboatdata....p?class_id=2325 might not have but only a two year run so there is a story there.

Cal 39 MK II - Lapworth - 1978-1982 very similar to the MK I but since the beam is different would we have new molds?http://sailboatdata....p?class_id=2323

Cal 39 MK III - Lapworth - 1983 - ? MK II but aft cabin and some other changes. http://sailboatdata....p?class_id=2322

Cal 39 MK IV - Hunt - Banger Punta goes bankrupt but produced by a different yard that bought the rights and molds from bankrupt company http://sailboatdata....p?class_id=3670

I also believe that a former female editor of SAIL magazine owned one and it was once robbed at anchor while owner was away. There is an article in sail from maybe 2-3 years ago about a broken rudder and sailing with a bucket astern. I believe that many were in the charter trade. Also if you compare prices the boat was one of the more expensive boats from Banger Punta.

The original MK 1 may have been a victim of the new IOR rule and poor marketing by Cal. Pearson had a 39 as well and that boat is clearly intended for CCA. Pearson changes the marketing overnight and their brand new rather striped down 39 goes from CCA racer kinda cruiser to the Pearson 39 cruiser. Pearson is able to sell a few boats each year.

This is the Pearson 39 sloop version.

http://sailboatdata....p?class_id=2024

The CCA had the centerboard, yawl rig with the center asymetrical sail. The mizzen didn't count in the CCA rating and I believe that center asymetircal sail did not either. Pearson added a lot of real wood, options and I believe tankage increased. Amazing what a little marketing will do.

I have been on the mark II and the Pearson Yawl 39. If you can handle the draft the MKII and MIII are some very nice boats. But if draft is an issue that Pearson definitely is a good second choice.

New England PHRF BASE RATINGS
CAL 39-1 114
CAL 39-1 TM 105
CAL 39-2 114
CAL 39-2 SD 123
CAL 39-2 TM 102
CAL 39-2 TM SD 114

CAL 39-4 WK 114

CAL 40 120

PEARSON 39 132

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users