73 replies to this topic

#1 bladerunnerSWE

bladerunnerSWE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

So people what's the fastest category 3 boat around 35'?

Just to get the ball rolling

Shaw (9,10,11) , psaros33, farr400(?), general lee?

#2 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

Pretty much anything with more hulls than those lead draggers :P

#3 HILLY

HILLY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

Possibly this:

http://forums.sailin...howtopic=135202

Attached Files

#4 usa 917

usa 917

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Sailing sails sailboats

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

J 35.

#5 OulaMan

OulaMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

Farr 11s?

#6 Ballard Sailor

Ballard Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

Riptide 35

#7 Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

Vestas Sailrocket is pretty quick

#8 bladerunnerSWE

bladerunnerSWE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

Vestas Sailrocket is pretty quick

hehe quite far off cat3 though

#9 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,954 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

Wut?

8 posts and no J/105?

They plane, right?

#10 Grinder

Grinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,623 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

Cone?

#11 RustySkiff

RustySkiff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Sunsets and Long walks on the beach

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:00 AM

The Cone goes OK and quite easy to steer.
Just watch out for water spouts.

#12 Asymptote

Asymptote

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:16 AM

Just saw the brand new Bieker 35 up in Anacortes, WA. No rig yet, but it looks really nice.

#13 Ballard Sailor

Ballard Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:18 AM

Just saw the brand new Bieker 35 up in Anacortes, WA. No rig yet, but it looks really nice.

That is the Riptide 35 MKII

#14 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts
  • Interests:Ummmm......sailboat racing

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

That is the Riptide 35 MKII

Doh! I was going to say that but I missed the punch. But here:

http://www.biekerboa...de_35_MKII.html

For a long time racer in Vancouver.

But wait - there's more!!!

http://www.biekerboa...Riptide_41.html

Not a 35ish but the bigger sister that is dead sexy! I sailed on Dark Star for Straits and I met the new owner.

#15 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

My boat!
And you can buy her for ....(Dr Evil Voice) ONE MILLION DOLLARS :lol:

#16 Murphness

Murphness

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Brewing Beer, Drinking Beer, Skiing and other outsidey things

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

The Cone goes OK and quite easy to steer.
Just watch out for water spouts.

I'd argue that the cone is one of the harder boats to steer down wind. Especially with the small rudder. With AWA at anything above 110 and a reaching kite up you've got about a 10 deg window of keeping her on her bottom, add swell to the mix and you better be paying close attention...I don't think I've been on/driven a boat that's easier to loose control of...

If you're doing point to point races though you'll be hard pressed to find a boat in this size that's as fast and fun! Upwind for anything more then 10 miles is borderline torture...

#17 davidprobable

davidprobable

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • Interests:classic collectible sailing and restoring , confronting the silly.

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

Interesting how this thread is all about reaching and running with flivvers. I guess you guys never go upwind, except in your Cigarette boats. Sailing to me was never solely a speed issue, rather it was a matter of power. It was also all about going upwind. There is nothing as satisfying as powering upwind and shouldering the seas aside with a powerful monohull. It is proper sailing. This simple planing speed mentality is very youthful and not unlike going over jumps on your little BMX. Keep your youth, but when you grow up try real sailing upwind in a blow and savour the concept of power, unless of course your little flivver just sank.

#18 Anonymous Anarchist

Anonymous Anarchist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

Interesting how this thread is all about reaching and running with flivvers. I guess you guys never go upwind, except in your Cigarette boats. Sailing to me was never solely a speed issue, rather it was a matter of power. It was also all about going upwind. There is nothing as satisfying as powering upwind and shouldering the seas aside with a powerful monohull. It is proper sailing. This simple planing speed mentality is very youthful and not unlike going over jumps on your little BMX. Keep your youth, but when you grow up try real sailing upwind in a blow and savour the concept of power, unless of course your little flivver just sank.

"...nothing as satifying as powering upwind and shouldering the seas aside with a powerful monohull." Do you mean with your pants on?
aa

#19 bladerunnerSWE

bladerunnerSWE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

farr11s seems to be the best bang for the buck atm
does anyone have eny experiance with that design`?

#20 rodnichols69

rodnichols69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:42 PM

OD35

#21 n00b

n00b

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

Another vote for Riptide 35. Not sure if the MK II is going to be quite as fast as the original design, but I climbed around on it in Anacortes this past weekend and it's really nice. It has a sprit bigger than your house!

#22 rodnichols69

rodnichols69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

Which boat is quicker? J105 or J109?

#23 Asymptote

Asymptote

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

"...nothing as satifying as powering upwind and shouldering the seas aside with a powerful monohull." Do you mean with your pants on?
aa

"There's nothing like plowing a furrow in the ocean, surging down into trough after trough while rolling rail to rail and exceeding the mighty yacht's hull speed by a tenth of a knot"

How'd he slip off my "Ignore" list? Sounds like he's been curled up in his armchair reading "Master & Commander" again.

#24 HardOnWind

HardOnWind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:28 AM

If you want fast, get a Melges 32. And yes, they can go upwind in but they are not so much fun in a chop.

Posted Image

#25 SPORTSCAR

SPORTSCAR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts
  • Interests:sailing (duh!)

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:04 AM

Wut?

8 posts and no J/105?

They plane, right?

Yeah, but only upwind :-(

#26 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:09 AM

That Kiwi canter looks pretty quick. Does anyone know if the canting is done with electrical/diesel/hydraulic power or is it manual/winch?

#27 Delta Dog

Delta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Interests:A wana go Fast!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:07 AM

Riptide 35

but can you buy one?

#28 Rex II

Rex II

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Interests:Cats, Kites,Canters,being on plane and the open ocean

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:34 AM

The one i've sailed has over 400K in to it, so not sure where best bang for the buck comes in. The companionway and fore hatch are not weatherproof and the design brief is as a coastal day sailor. No deck house, Wet wet wet in chop and although very efficient hull design, it is an underachiever.

I would love to spend hours downhill in smooth water doing a steady 20kts, but that doesn't happen often. Another huge drawback is the outsized main which would need additional reef points added. The Current 3DL with one reef came in just south of 30K USD.

It is a very high quality build but no Cat 3 contender. it's a neat toy for well heeled PHRF beer can racers and nothing more.

The Columbia 32 Carbon a few slips over would be a way better choice, the running rigging seems a bit tender for real offshore work, and the main sheet, back stay, traveler arrangement would need proper redesign and hardier kit, but all that could be accomplished in a weekend.

Slip some proper 3di sails on and you have a real contender under half the price of the 11s
Cheers.

#29 bladerunnerSWE

bladerunnerSWE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

There's one up for 165k usd
but thanks for the input!

#30 bladerunnerSWE

bladerunnerSWE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

That Kiwi canter looks pretty quick. Does anyone know if the canting is done with electrical/diesel/hydraulic power or is it manual/winch?

it's winched on the 9 and 10

#31 opa1

opa1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Sailing

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

Hobie 33 will give you a lot for the money.

#32 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

Seriously? The DARKSIDETM

#33 rodnichols69

rodnichols69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Hobie 33 will give you a lot for the money.

I agree, what a fun boat! You can pick one up $15k-$20k and set up right they can sail a lot faster than their 96 PHRF Spin rating.

#34 Matt B

Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

The one i've sailed has over 400K in to it, so not sure where best bang for the buck comes in. The companionway and fore hatch are not weatherproof and the design brief is as a coastal day sailor. No deck house, Wet wet wet in chop and although very efficient hull design, it is an underachiever.

I would love to spend hours downhill in smooth water doing a steady 20kts, but that doesn't happen often. Another huge drawback is the outsized main which would need additional reef points added. The Current 3DL with one reef came in just south of 30K USD.

It is a very high quality build but no Cat 3 contender. it's a neat toy for well heeled PHRF beer can racers and nothing more.

The Columbia 32 Carbon a few slips over would be a way better choice, the running rigging seems a bit tender for real offshore work, and the main sheet, back stay, traveler arrangement would need proper redesign and hardier kit, but all that could be accomplished in a weekend.

Slip some proper 3di sails on and you have a real contender under half the price of the 11s
Cheers.

If you paid anywhere near $30kUS for a 3dlmain for an 11s, you got ripped off. By about $15k. That could explain why you have $400k into a $200k boat. That you would be lucky to sell for $100k.

#35 Rex II

Rex II

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

Cheers.

If you paid anywhere near $30kUS for a 3dlmain for an 11s, you got ripped off. By about $15k. That could explain why you have $400k into a $200k boat. That you would be lucky to sell for $100k.

The main is a 3DL 800 and delivered through the Toronto Loft. It is 120% class and sports a near 3m flat top, Guess the adage If you have to ask...........

The keel control servo valve on this one is lifted from an A380 rudder assy. it supports advanced accel decel capabilities to reduce shock to the rig and utilizing some very sophisticated proprietary software can maintain a preset heel angle using a dynamic mode and flying the keel. ( no not for racing it is a development concept)

Very cool platform, makes a great surrogate for development concepts like the ones mentioned above.

If you find one for 100K in the western hemisphere send me a link. There are only 6 examples sailing and only one for sale Tazo in UAE for 175K

Not my program, great bunch of folks and a super cool owner. I just trim main there on occasion.

cheers

#36 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,527 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:59 PM

Gentelman do not go to weather.........

#37 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

Cheers.

The main is a 3DL 800 and delivered through the Toronto Loft. It is 120% class and sports a near 3m flat top, Guess the adage If you have to ask...........

The keel control servo valve on this one is lifted from an A380 rudder assy. it supports advanced accel decel capabilities to reduce shock to the rig and utilizing some very sophisticated proprietary software can maintain a preset heel angle using a dynamic mode and flying the keel. ( no not for racing it is a development concept)

Very cool platform, makes a great surrogate for development concepts like the ones mentioned above.

If you find one for 100K in the western hemisphere send me a link. There are only 6 examples sailing and only one for sale Tazo in UAE for 175K

Not my program, great bunch of folks and a super cool owner. I just trim main there on occasion.

cheers

So a list price of 175BU's - which probably means it will sell for 100-125BU's

#38 Murphness

Murphness

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Brewing Beer, Drinking Beer, Skiing and other outsidey things

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

Gentelman do not go to weather.........

Truth!

#39 bladerunnerSWE

bladerunnerSWE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

So a list price of 175BU's - which probably means it will sell for 100-125BU's

down to 135k$ asking now

#40 OulaMan

OulaMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

I've sailed on this one: http://www.yachtworl...rr-11s-2519032/

Very fast. The mechanics of getting the boat around the course aren't as complicated as one might think. They had some problems with the on board systems (hydraulics) in the early days but they have worked out the kinks.

#41 bladerunnerSWE

bladerunnerSWE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

looks fun,, maybe if someone get the tri off our hands

#42 SoCalSlacker

SoCalSlacker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:good old fashion competion

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

Cheers.

cheers

Wow that's one expensive main, more than a TP52 main of similar specs....

#43 Rex II

Rex II

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

27K less 15% PST/GST sales tax is 23K yeah that's an expensive main, I doubt the owner asked the price. A local broker spoke to the loft and mentioned it to me. My Point was the 11S does not supply bang for the buck compared to other offerings.

#44 BAR KARATE

BAR KARATE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • Interests:Alcoholic with a Sailing Problem

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

M32 or Macca38

#45 Matt B

Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

Cheers.

cheers

I don't have to ask, I sold sails for nearly 20 years and now I purchase about 25 sails a year for various boats from various sailmakers. Recently bought a 3dl 800 carbon main with three reefs for a 50 footer for $23k and change. You (or your owner) paid too much.
And a race boat such as the 11s is only worth what somebody will pay for it. $175k is an asking price, for a boat in the UAE. A much different market than in North America. I still feel the 11s will only sell for about 100k, that is if you can find a buyer.

#46 Farrmorefun

Farrmorefun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Sailing down the Eastern seaboard and back.

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

I recently purchased a 11.6, and am in the process of bringing her back to all her glory. She is very fast, points well and is a lot of fun all around.

#47 Ocean View

Ocean View

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:43 AM

You'd have to consider the J111 - Very nice boat on the water IMO

#48 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

Have spent the last few years sailing on a 38 ft cat and I LOVE going to windward.Nothing under 50ft will come close.Spent 2 days and a night beating into 25 that built to 40.Its not so much shouldering them aside as skipping over the top.The feeling of power is addictive.

#49 Dale dug a hole

Dale dug a hole

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  • Interests:Digging holes

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

I've been lucky enough to sail with Auscat on the yacht he's talking about. Bloody hell it is a buzz, and I think in one race Auscat didn't blink once while screaming across the passage. Fuck I hated the call for trav on, no were near fit enough.

#50 bladerunnerSWE

bladerunnerSWE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

what kind of catamaran?

#51 walterbshaffer

walterbshaffer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts
  • Interests:Formerly Member No. 9720

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

The question is best bang for the buck: the unproven 111 is no faster than a proven 1D35 at 4 times the cost.

#52 Murphness

Murphness

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

The question is best bang for the buck: the unproven 111 is no faster than a proven 1D35 at 4 times the cost.

Sailed against a couple of j111's this season in Newport and was surprised at how sluggish they looked. In 15-20 knts and 4-6' seas they were barely hitting 13 knts in surfs...Maybe I was just expecting more out of it, but I'd spend the 350k on a hot new Elliott 35SS or something that actually fits the "fastest 35' boat" bill.

Not quite 35', but Karma Police is for sale... http://www.yachtworl...&url=&imc=pg-fs

#53 206

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

Sailed against a couple of j111's this season in Newport and was surprised at how sluggish they looked. In 15-20 knts and 4-6' seas they were barely hitting 13 knts in surfs...Maybe I was just expecting more out of it, but I'd spend the 350k on a hot new Elliott 35SS or something that actually fits the "fastest 35' boat" bill.

Not quite 35', but Karma Police is for sale... http://www.yachtworl...&url=&imc=pg-fs

Karma Police was sold and is now in Detroit

#54 Mayhem

Mayhem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

Personally..my vote is for the BT 31!! It just beat a SC 50 Tall Rig boat for boat in a 150 mile coastal race.

Attached File  Peerless AO3.JPG   956.18K   56 downloads

#55 pt30

pt30

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

This one pretty quick. Only 31'.Attached File  wairere.jpg   222.61K   87 downloadsAttached File  wairere.jpg   222.61K   87 downloads

#56 Murphness

Murphness

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

What's a bt31? Google says its called "peerless" is that the same thing as the turbo'd melges 32?

#57 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,220 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:42 PM

Turbo'd melges 30

#58 peanut

peanut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:06 AM

None of the boats mentioned so far would come close to the Elliott 35ss its a full carbon boat with a canting keel not some glass prodction boat!....it doesn't just go fast down wind its also very fast up wind.

If you are looking for a cool boat this is for sale
http://au.yachtworld...099/New-Zealand

#59 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,220 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:12 AM

Will be awesome to see how the Elliot 35ss does in the upcoming transpac that it just entered.

#60 walterbshaffer

walterbshaffer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts
  • Interests:Formerly Member No. 9720

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:13 AM

None of the boats mentioned so far would come close to the Elliott 35ss its a full carbon boat with a canting keel not some glass prodction boat!....it doesn't just go fast down wind its also very fast up wind.

The Farr 11s comes close, doesn't it?

#61 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:47 AM

I would seriously doubt that.

#62 Puget Sound Ballast

Puget Sound Ballast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:09 AM

Which boat is quicker? J105 or J109?

PHRFNW for a J109 = 69
PHRFNW for a J105 = 93

#63 bladerunnerSWE

bladerunnerSWE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

really? I understand that they have different hullshapes but the farr is atleast 1000 kg lighter. The farr must be faster on a reach/downwind due to hullshape/weight.

#64 MKF

MKF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Interests:High performance sport boats...<br /><br />And going even more radical!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

really? I understand that they have different hullshapes but the farr is atleast 1000 kg lighter. The farr must be faster on a reach/downwind due to hullshape/weight.

Very sure the 11s would give the Elliot 35 more than a run for its money. Especially in a breeze!

The Elliot from my understanding is no where as exotic in construction as the original 11s . If published stability is correct 11s is higher. Nevertheless the Elliot looks amazing, funny enough a lighter version of the juan k 38 launched a few years ago...
Tazo is heading into the shop for some mods to bring it into line around modern thinking, bigger j and mast back, less sail, but more effective utilisation of sail...

Mkf

#65 Ballast Technician

Ballast Technician

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:42 AM

Very sure the 11s would give the Elliot 35 more than a run for its money. Especially in a breeze!

The Elliot from my understanding is no where as exotic in construction as the original 11s . If published stability is correct 11s is higher. Nevertheless the Elliot looks amazing, funny enough a lighter version of the juan k 38 launched a few years ago...
Tazo is heading into the shop for some mods to bring it into line around modern thinking, bigger j and mast back, less sail, but more effective utilisation of sail...

Mkf

Sticking with the transom hung rudders?

#66 HILLY

HILLY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

As per orignal post, is the 11s cat 3?

#67 bladerunnerSWE

bladerunnerSWE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

according to http://www.farrdesig...design_info.pdf she should be

#68 MKF

MKF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Interests:High performance sport boats...<br /><br />And going even more radical!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:02 AM

Yes sticking with the transom hung rudders. After halving their size and making them fixed foils they actually work rather well. Lets be honest twin rudders don't have the same feel as single blades, but once the boat is moving above five knots and you have some heel on, >10% seem very posive...have had tazo out in some decent wind since we did this and control was never an issue...ability is a whole other thing!

Tazo is currently Cat3, has everything for Cat2. Will look to ensure she is Cat1 able post mods so we can do races like the Hong Kong to Vietnam, and other similar events. Just working through how to have a 24 volt generator on board...

We do have a problem with weight, boat now weighs less than design, two core reasons saved 60 kg on batteries and mast package came in over 40 kg lighter when we moved from formula to high mod Southern. Rudders in their current set up weigh 12 kg less and if I am correct adding C4 rigging should save another 6 kg. gives us roughly 120 kg to play around with for deck and mast step/chain plate modifications...hopefully done by end of Feb...

Regards

Mkf

#69 MKF

MKF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

Forgot to ask does the Eliott have an IRC number, if so would love to see a certificate.

Will post tazo's series of certificates if anyone is interested...

#70 Drop Bear.

Drop Bear.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Interests:none.

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

Yes please!

And more importantly can she sail to the numbers?

#71 MKF

MKF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

Will do. Back I windows world next week.

Tazo can not sail to current irc of 1.33 down from 1.35. But the odd time could sail to the trial number of 1.285. Most interesting is seeing initial jump was all through hull factor, later reduction was due to reduction of sail area and how static heel angle is measured with canards up or down...

Boat has not done enough passage races in varying conditions to determine if she could achieve better results on passage races...

#72 hazard121

hazard121

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

What about the of the emerging classe 950s? Around the cans mightn't be as fast, but as things open up they'd have to have some clout?

#73 bladerunnerSWE

bladerunnerSWE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

emerging? I thought it was a failed experiment from the early 2000s. I do however agree that the open 30 looks like a blast ( assuming that they are the same)

#74 The Cone

The Cone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

All boats have their conditions and canting keelers can't be touched 2 sail reaching, so the Farr 11 and Elliott would own that.

It's immodest but I think the original RP 31 The Cone of Silence would give them a run for their money downwind over long distances. It was also tough and therefore able to be pushed hard (and crash super hard!).

It was certainly quite a bit quicker than the Farr 36 (ie Farr 11 non canter) in a downwind Sydney to Coffs.

The new Elliott looks great and is unlikely to come up against The Cone - so we'll never know !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users