15 replies to this topic

#1 Delta Blues

Delta Blues

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,783 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

Are you fucking kidding me? They "blame it" on the fishing boat for not having AIS? What a bunch of Grade A Bullshit.

These singlehanders who traverse the waters in the world are going out KNOWINGLY that they are violating the international right of way laws. They do not maintain a lookout. They can not blame it on some power vs. sail rule or anything else. They go to sleep, they become a hazard to all boats out there. I hope the fishing boat presses charges and the sailor spends some time in the can, and anyone else out there who thinks they can blame others for failing to maintain a watch get some time in the can too. There are no exceptions in the right of way rules for boats that are sailing blindly along.

I'm not saying that singlehanded racing should stop, I am saying that singlehanders must know that they are adding one more piece of risk that the right of way rules are going to hammer them any time they have a collision. It is nothing more than a risk of their choice. But sure as hell, don't go around blaming others, that pisses me off.

#2 Quagers

Quagers

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

Urm,

A) The skipper took full responsibility in his statement

B) While the Vendee article did say the fishing boat may have had their AIS off that is merely a statement of fact, not blame. And AIS is compulsory for fishing boats in this area. So the fact it was not turned on is something that (if true) is perfectly reasonable to mention.

So nice rant, but maybe check the facts next time.

#3 Delta Blues

Delta Blues

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,783 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

I only read the National Enquirer headline on the front page of SA before, now I just read it all. No where did I read that he took full responsibility for the collision. But it was a question whether the fishing boat's AIS was running. He needs to let the fishing boat know he will take care of any damages they sustained.

#4 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,516 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

Are you fucking kidding me? They "blame it" on the fishing boat for not having AIS? What a bunch of Grade A Bullshit.

These singlehanders who traverse the waters in the world are going out KNOWINGLY that they are violating the international right of way laws. They do not maintain a lookout. They can not blame it on some power vs. sail rule or anything else. They go to sleep, they become a hazard to all boats out there. I hope the fishing boat presses charges and the sailor spends some time in the can, and anyone else out there who thinks they can blame others for failing to maintain a watch get some time in the can too. There are no exceptions in the right of way rules for boats that are sailing blindly along.

I'm not saying that singlehanded racing should stop, I am saying that singlehanders must know that they are adding one more piece of risk that the right of way rules are going to hammer them any time they have a collision. It is nothing more than a risk of their choice. But sure as hell, don't go around blaming others, that pisses me off.

Are BG's special friend? What next? Trolling about whales being hit in the middle of the night?

Go fuck ya'self, idiot.

#5 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,014 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:28 AM

They say it takes one to know one. Well I am an asshole. But more importantly you sir, are acting like an asshole.

#6 corkob

corkob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Interests:Monohull Offshore racing

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

Did the fishing boat have anyone on watch?

#7 umpire

umpire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

Did the fishing boat have anyone on watch?

Do they ever?

#8 corkob

corkob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander

#9 umpire

umpire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander

Totally agree. They have given me a lot of problems off the Brittany coast

#10 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

The vendee skipper called it a "stupid accident". I'd say he more than understands that he has only himself to blame.

(Whether the fishing boat AIS was on or not is beside the point. Not *all* vessels require AIS and he could have just as easily collided with one that didn't. These guys fail to keep a proper watch and break that central tenant of COLREGS every time the take a nap).

#11 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

I was talking to an Admiralty atty and the question of what constitutes "maintaining a lookout" in an era of AIS with collision alarms and Radar with similar alarms, is an interesting one that the Courts have not yet come to full conclusion on.

#12 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

+ 100

"These guys fail to keep a proper watch and break that central tenant of COLREGS every time the take a nap"

Sail Safe!

#13 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

I was talking to an Admiralty atty and the question of what constitutes "maintaining a lookout" in an era of AIS with collision alarms and Radar with similar alarms, is an interesting one that the Courts have not yet come to full conclusion on.

IF an AIS equipped vessel runs down a non-AIS equipped vessel, I think (I hope!) we know the answer.

#14 corkob

corkob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

If the fishing boat is not keeping a lookout, is that not a breach of the COLREGS?

#15 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:13 AM

If the fishing boat is not keeping a lookout, is that not a breach of the COLREGS?

Of course. But if a fishing boat is keeping a lookout but engaged in fishing, there is very little it can do to manoever out of the way of a sailboat which is approaching and not sailing by. Middle of the $%#$ing ocean and the fishing boat is fishing--hauling a net, working a seine etc, and along comes a sailboat. Usually they sail right past or manoever--often at the last minute. This time---nope, the sailboat keeps coming and Wham! I don't know whether this is the scenario, but I can imagine it happening this way.

Rule 18: sailing vessel shall keep out of the way of a vessel engaged in fishing.

Rule 5: proper lookout includes by sight and sound. There is no ^$%$$ing allowance for "electronical contrivances" in lieu of sight and sound; rather there is a requirement to use electronics if they are fitted and appropriate in the prevailing ciercumstances.

#16 corkob

corkob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:41 AM

The crying cow must have had it's radar alarm turned off or did the skipper sleep through it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users