1 reply to this topic

#1 ChuteFirst

ChuteFirst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

New Beneteau Oceanis 48 vs Valiant 50,

Can anyone compare and contrast these two options for mainly cruising the bight of southern california, and a couple trips down the Baja coast and back to SoCal?

B48 would be new, V50 would be around 10 years old.

We like to sail through the wind range, so performance under 8 kts TW is a consideration.

Shorthanded sailing mostly, so that is a consideration.

Hull shapes are radically different, but what would that mean in our application?

We have been sailing an Valiant Esprit 37 for 20+ years in the bight of Socal from Ensenada to Santa Barbara and all the Channel Islands, and we've sailed a B57 once up wind from St. Martin to Antigua.

We are mainly thinking about stepping up in size to accomodate the occasional guests, and more waterline for better daily distance averages.

Thank you.

#2 jhiller

jhiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

I assume you're looking at Raptor Dance. I owned V50 number 2 and RD is a few boats later. Bob Perry modified the rig of mine and added 3 ft of height and a longer boom. He also moved the spar forward. Boat sailed very well in 8 or 9 kts and up. It was a bit sluggish in light air . Bob can expound but in fact the round stern of the Valiant is more of an above the waterline design. Below the waterline the profile was not unusual at all. Despite the Valiant being an icon for offshore sailors and having owned a 50 and 42 myself I think that if you are living on the boat and sailing short distances and not venturing far offshore a new Beneteau is just fine and gives you a lot more living space . A 10 year old boat is going to need work no matter how well it was built. Although if the Valiant is the boat I think it was and is very well maintained.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users