17 replies to this topic

#1 oomummado

oomummado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:01 AM

Anyone had experience with the Velocitek Prostart? Any issues or service issues? Worth the money?

#2 Ultraman

Ultraman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

Great product. Massive design improvement over SC-1. Worth the money.

#3 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

oomummado,

The Prostart is one of the best GPS based speedos out there, needless to mention the start approach function. It is very intuitive, has a nice display and is very accurate. So far, we have not gotten any complaints or bad feedback about it. Several sportboats and other classes where these types of devices are allowed by their rules, have it almost as mandatory equipment.

FWIW we have it in stock. Feel free to PM or email us for a very sweet deal on one.

Posted Image

#4 Mauri Pro

Mauri Pro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

Hi oomummado,

Our team use the Velocitek Prostart on almost every boat/class when allowed by the rules. It works great specially when you have current pushing you away or into the starting line. All feedback had been positive for both the Prostart and Speedpuck. Contact us at any time
(best way over our Live Help/Chat) to go over details and special pricing for Sailing Anarchy fans or take advantage of any of our Black Friday & Cyber Monday offers.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Juan

#5 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

Hi oomummado,

Our team use the Velocitek Prostart on almost every boat/class when allowed by the rules. It works great specially when you have current pushing you away or into the starting line. All feedback had been positive for both the Prostart and Speedpuck. Contact us at any time
(best way over our Live Help/Chat) to go over details and special pricing for Sailing Anarchy fans or take advantage of any of our Black Friday & Cyber Monday offers.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Juan

Hey Juan,

Okay.....Ive been convinced (pressured) by Team Mambo Kings to upgrade from the SC1 to the ProStart. Christmas gift to myself!
Ive pinged you an email to see if any special pricing for Viper anarchists?

Have a profitable Black Friday....and hope to see you on the start line in Miami. (oops maybe you want to make that prostart really expensive so that I dont get one - )

VMK

#6 Mauri Pro

Mauri Pro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

Hi Mambo King!

Sent you an email with details. About Miami, yes our plan is to do as many regattas as we can there prior to the Bacardi Cup. Looking forward to move the boat to Florida early January.
Best,

Juan

#7 Dark n Stormy

Dark n Stormy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

I'm considering getting a Pro-Start and dumping all my conventional instruments even though they still work....speedo, windpeed/direction.
Has anyone done this and regretted not having the conventional readouts?

#8 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:03 PM

Dark n Stormy,

Hold it before you drop the wind and depth instruments as the Prostart will not provide you that information. The Prostart is an excellent piece of equipment. As a user on a sportboat, I am very pleased. As dealer, we have not receive but good feedback about it, not only on the line approach function but also on the ease of use and the way the information is displayed.

Technical Specifications
  • Speed Accuracy: ±0.2 Knots
  • Heading Resolution: 1°
  • Display Update Rate: 2Hz (once every 0.5s)
  • Water Resistance: 3m / 10 ft (IPX-8)
  • Display: 30mm / 1.18” digit height 120° viewing cone
  • Data Logger: Lat, Long, Time, Speed, and Heading recorded at 0.5 Hz (once every 2s), 30hr capacity. Data download is compatible with Mac OS X 10.6 and Windows
  • Batteries: 3 x AA 20+ hr endurance, rechargeable or disposable
  • Dimensions: 120mm x 175mm x 40mm / 4.72” x 6.89” x 1.57”
  • Weight Including Batteries: 448g / 0.99lb
  • Bracket Compatibility: Velocitek ProStart Mast Bracket or any Tacktick Micro Compass bracket.
  • GPS Chipset: u-blox LEA-5M

I agree on having more opinions before you pull the trigger. When the time comes, feel free to drop me a note and we'll work a good deal for you.

Regards,
Rod

#9 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:52 AM

Hi Mambo King!

Sent you an email with details. About Miami, yes our plan is to do as many regattas as we can there prior to the Bacardi Cup. Looking forward to move the boat to Florida early January.
Best,

Juan

We're coming down for the 2 regattas in March (Jan - Feb is busy time for me). I forwarded your email to Santa and I am led to believe that Pro Start is on its way to my stocking. Thanks.

#10 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Interests:Viper 640 #18

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:34 AM

I want one right below my TackTick Race Master. PM any deals!

#11 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

I want one right below my TackTick Race Master. PM any deals!

PM'ed :)

#12 aA

aA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

so who has the best deals on the velocitek and mast bracket? needed in norcal by next weekend...

#13 Oxygen Mask

Oxygen Mask

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,672 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:26 AM

I just read the 'features' of the prostart to see what the difference is from the sc-1.
I must be in the extreme minority.
I have never once thought I needed a distance to the line feature. Now that I think about it, no, it's not something I would use. I can see the line, it's right over there....
Time to the line, sure, but it's available on various sources including my sc-1 or my wristwatch...
BUT - no VMG? THAT is the most useful feature of the sC-1 and the reason to buy it. The Prostart would be a step backward for me.
Luckily my funky looking sc will probably keep working for a long long time...

If you added vmg to the speedpuck I bet it would sell better! (I'd have bought 2 or 3 by now...) Have the lift/headed marks be vmg instead. Simple and fast to read.

#14 seajay

seajay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:48 AM

If you added vmg to the speedpuck I bet it would sell better! (I'd have bought 2 or 3 by now...)

When the ProStart came out they mentioned VMG was left off based on a majority of teams telling them it was not needed. Not a comment on VMG use, just a comment on why it was deleted.
What I could use is a technique for getting a start line marked when there are three classes starting in front of me for race two of the day. I simply can't find a way to get in there to mark it without being in someone's starting sequence.

#15 pmw

pmw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

If you added vmg to the speedpuck I bet it would sell better! (I'd have bought 2 or 3 by now...)

When the ProStart came out they mentioned VMG was left off based on a majority of teams telling them it was not needed. Not a comment on VMG use, just a comment on why it was deleted.
What I could use is a technique for getting a start line marked when there are three classes starting in front of me for race two of the day. I simply can't find a way to get in there to mark it without being in someone's starting sequence.

You can ping it from an extension from either end of the line. You don't need to right by the pin or committee boat. Just site down the line from each side and ping before you get into too much traffic.

#16 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts
  • Interests:The usual stuff.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

You can ping it from an extension from either end of the line. You don't need to right by the pin or committee boat. Just site down the line from each side and ping before you get into too much traffic.

Its actually much better to be OUTSIDE the pin-boat line when pinning, as them you can sight down these two points to know when to hit the button. The distance you are outside is immaterial.

#17 Stephano

Stephano

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Varnishing for boatspeed. Wooden masts that don't break. Staying on the tender.

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

I have used the S-10, SC-1 and now the Pro Start. The support and service from Velocitek is great and I like the Pro Start very much.
Stephan

#18 Haywire

Haywire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

The Prostart is a great device, but make sure you replace the battery compartment gasket (there is free upgrade available till the end of April 2013). I use it on a double-trapeze boat that gets lots of spray. After the first season I had to get a warranty replacement from Velocitek because the LCD kept fogging up and moisture eventually caused the whole unit to fail. Since then I've been using Gopro anti-fog inserts in the battery compartment. Hopefully the new gasket will fix this problem!

The other challenge is installing it so you can see the screen clearly from the wire on either tack. It's not much use if you can't see it. I ended up builting a mast mount that rotates through 90 degrees. Control strings attached to the sheet swivel cleat rotates the pro-start to windward as we tack or gybe. I've seen other guys who buy one for each tack and stick them on each side the boom, but was a bit expensive for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users