7 replies to this topic

#1 Skywalker

Skywalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

This off-season we set out to refurbish our spars and paint our nearly 30 year old mast and boom. We ordered the spreader bar doubler kit from Hall, removed all the hardware, and stripped the paint.

Upon removal of the main sheet and vang bales from the boom it was amazing (and a bit scary) how reamed out these holes had gotten. We took our boom to a local welder specializing in aircraft and race car aluminum welding to repair the boom bale attachment points and to fill in several unneccessary holes. I pick up the boom today and was struck by the overall size of his repairs. The welder essentially welded a 1" aluminum washer over the "wallered" out holes. This washer, plus a 3/16" weld has made the entire repair quite large (nearly 2" across). The welds are nice and neat and I'm sure it will look better with a nice coat of Perfection, but right now I am a bit shocked.

I am sure the thing is way stronger than before and we had to do something as the spar was not safe as it was. That being said, do you guys see anybody giving us crap over the legality of these repairs? If so do their arguments have any merit?

Thanks

#2 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

Why?
Because your boom is heavier than someone elses?

Maybe go look at the class regs..

Sail safe!

#3 Skywalker

Skywalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

Why?
Because your boom is heavier than someone elses?

Maybe go look at the class regs..

Sail safe!

I hear what your saying but these 22 and 24 sailors can be a nitpicky bunch! I don't know. Perhaps someone says we can now put more vang on without our boom folding in half than the "stock" spars? Just asking what iffs....

#4 Will

Will

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Interests:J/22, Lightning, Laser, J/105

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

Skywalker, The proper route would have been to contact Chris Howell at the J/22 Class office. He would have probably had you write a note to the class measurer or tech chairman for a ruling. Probably fine, but had you contacted the class you would have been given the correct way to go about it.

At the very least you should take photos of the repairs and fixes and submit this to the class office. Send it to j22@roadrunner.com

#5 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,765 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:55 AM

Hey!! Get in Line!!

You can have your answer after i get mine!!!

Are these Coamings legal on a J-22??

LInk to proposal on my webpage

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

You might get faster response from the class on the J/22 Forums as opposed to this motley crew....

MS

#7 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,765 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:36 AM

The team I sail with has been parked for a while while we all sort out how we plan to support ourselves during our seventh decades. The good news is we all seem to be sorted out now and odds are good we will return to racing next year. I will get after the rails thing at that time....

However, i thoiught it was such a great idea and such a generous offer to the builder to set them up in the business of making the rails that somebody would have been begging to continue the project to its fruition.

I guess one's own ideas often look better to the creator than everyone else.

#8 JACO

JACO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

Hey Gouv...... sorry I didn't see this sooner. I heard a rumor that Dunes himself was working a retro setup for molded rails for 22 cockpits. They may be underway or just in the thought stages, but I'd love to know where it stands. Your rails look very nice, and would be a lot less work than our starting from scratch. If they get a thumbs up from the powers that be I could be interested in a set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users