• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#1 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts
  • Interests:Learning to adjust to retirement...so far, so good.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:29 AM

Someone has parked a Hunter 24 on a trailer down the street from our home...

It wasn't ugly enough, they put bumper stickers all over the transom. One says "I'd rather be sailing"...and it's stuck to a sailboat??

:blink:

#2 Timo42's sockpuppet

Timo42's sockpuppet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:22 AM

What do you care it will be covered in ten feet of snow for the next six months anyway, keep complaining and I'll drive my 75 faded blue and primer dually over there and park it in front of your house to give you something to cry about. :P

#3 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:33 AM

Gate....really?

How many times has "why aren't more people getting into sailing?" been discussed and one of the reasons cited is the perception of elitism and exclusionism. We all shake our heads and say, naw, we're not like that...

#4 Boomberries

Boomberries

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • Interests:Offshore and coastal sailing and racing. Classic wooden boats.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:59 AM

Gate....really?
How many times has "why aren't more people getting into sailing?" been discussed and one of the reasons cited is the perception of elitism and exclusionism. We all shake our heads and say, naw, we're not like that...

I agree bljones. I swore off CA for a long while very recently, because there was a tone of elitisim in a few threads. A couple comments that hinted at - that if one doesn't actually "own" a boat, that they aren't qualified or encouraged to partake in some of the discussions. One comment really bothered me for a few weeks,

Then reason set in. I know that CA can be a very cool place most times. One can sit back and learn from some of the best. Generally a very knowledgeable and awesome group of folks in here.

Whatever gets people out sailing and enjoying it, is goodness. Why judge how others get their fill of sailing? Beauty of experience, is in the hand of the helmsman. Or helmswoman .

I have a friend who owns a Hunter 24. He races it year round, he maintains it very well and takes it cruising in the summer. His boat is in better shape and used more often than many "expensive" boats that I see tied up at the Yacht Club and neglected 50 weeks a year.

#5 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:06 AM

This has nothing to do with being elite...it's just an ugly boat. We have a couple 32' Hunters in the club and they are comfortable, roomy, cruising boats, and I have had a few (to many) beer on one and enjoyed it.

This boat is just ugly...if the logo said Hinkley, it would still be an ugly boat... no more, no less.

#6 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,572 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:50 AM

Sometimes the ugly boat is the only boat you have to sail.

#7 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:01 AM

I've never thought of a Hunter 24 as an ugly boat, at least not in the Bayliner Buccaneer 24 category.

#8 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Beer, and power tools.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:11 AM

Booms, whomever said that is an idiot. Unless it was me, if it was it is just my occasional ability to totally say something off the wall and have it mean the opposite of what I meant to say. Hmm... maybe I'm an idiot!

Anyway.

There is a guy at our club owns the most butt ugly, beat up old Grampian. Born ugly and got worse. But he sails it and enjoys it and it works for him. Does me no harm, so what the hell.

#9 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts
  • Interests:walks on the beach,a good book,a good cry

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:13 AM

at least it ain;t a Mac26....

#10 Timo42's sockpuppet

Timo42's sockpuppet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:14 AM

Could be worse, could be a Mac26x :blink:

at least it ain;t a Mac26....

Great minds... :D

#11 Timo42's sockpuppet

Timo42's sockpuppet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:17 AM

But bear in mind that Gate is retired, there are certain standards to uphold..."You kids stay off of my lawn" as it were. :rolleyes:

#12 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:37 AM

Wherever the hell it is, under all that white stuff.

I dunno, I like looking at boats, whatever they may be. I learn something from every one of them.

Wasn't me, was it Booms? I try to behave, but sometimes the bats force me to do things.

#13 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:24 AM

I dunno, I like looking at boats, whatever they may be. I learn something from every one of them.

I hear ya Ish. In fact, some of the uglier ones are so damn freakish I can't stop staring at them. But hey, their owners seem happy enough.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Guest Anarchist staff-a-car_*

Guest Anarchist staff-a-car_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

You really are a pack of wankers aren't you? I'm starting to realise the canadians are every bit as bad (or worse) than the seppoes. All you dickheads post a pic of your boat and we'll tear you to shreds for it being butt ugly, as most merkin boats are.

#15 Salazar

Salazar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Stage Lighting, etc.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

You really are a pack of wankers aren't you? I'm starting to realise the canadians are every bit as bad (or worse) than the seppoes. All you dickheads post a pic of your boat and we'll tear you to shreds for it being butt ugly, as most merkin boats are.

...another sock puppet / troll going on "Ignore"

#16 Guest Anarchist staff-a-car_*

Guest Anarchist staff-a-car_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

So why bother commenting if you're going to ignore? Do you feel it makes you cool to talk tough? Come on, even if on ignore we all know you will read this.

#17 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

Sometimes the ugly boat is the only boat you have to sail.

This....

#18 wick

wick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

Gate, you could do one or all of a few things.
1. Drive the other way down the street so you don't see it as much
2. Buy him a tarp to cover it
3. Buy him a bottle of rye, sit down and drink it with him. After that the boat will probably look pretty good.

#19 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,434 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

Wasn't me, was it Booms? I try to behave, but sometimes the bats force me to do things.

I think it was me. I have an ongoing burn over those who crew OPB in a single position (usually pit or mast) only while W-L racing and can't drive, trim sails, navigate, reef or stand a watch but loudly and vigorously condemn the benehunterlina or even Mac 26X that a family has scraped together the resources to purchase and maintain. I was inelegant when I stated it (probably PUI) and I believe some of our crew who are excellent sailors but not currently owners took offense. I proffered my apology but ??

I do feel that publically condemning another sailor's boat is petty and says a lot about the speaker. It's often not a boat that I or others here would consider for a variety of reasons but it's not our boat, If it gets them on the water then I believe it's all good. Sunset in a hidden cove is just as breathtaking in a Mac 26 as it is in a custom 60 footer.

#20 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,702 posts
  • Interests:It's Obvious!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

Hey, I started off with a Coronado 25. Dumpy, homely, looked like a water-borne pickup truck. I did love that little guy... I guess we all start somewhere.

#21 Alpha FB

Alpha FB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

I’m sure some people look at my beat up old folkboat and shake their head, and, dare I admit it, so do I sometimes when I longingly look at the sharp well kept yachts around, thinking maybe one day… Comparing her to the boats (Sliver, Catari, Spirit 46, et al) that we regularly see here on CA is a painful exercise.

She badly needs hull and deck painted, all her exterior wood redone, the interior needs finishing, and the sails are way past their sell by date...

The limited time and cash I have available to spend on her, enable me to do just the occasional large project while staying on top of the essential maintenance – and yes, that does mean that the cosmetics are more often than not left for what they are… And as it is, all that maintenance eats into that time and cash actually left over to go out sailing. So far this year, I spent 6 full days working on the boat, 2 days at home building and wiring a new switch panel, all for one single great afternoon’s sail…

Does it make sense? No of course it doesn’t…

But then I think of the great times I’ve had with this boat… She brought me from Ireland to Scotland and across the North Sea to the Netherlands. Fundamentally she’s quite sound, and step by step I AM improving her. I also know that newer boats are not necessarily maintenance free.

For the moment, she’s the boat that I have, my own pathway to the joys of sailing.

So, to all who judge her by appearance only, be damned!

#22 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

... ...

I do feel that publically condemning another sailor's boat is petty and says a lot about the speaker.

Well, sure. But look at human nature. 90% of what we call 'fun' is petty & mean-spirited.

My boat is awesome, your boat sucks.
:rolleyes:

FB- Doug

#23 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

Alpha

Boats are beautiful or ugly because of their lines, not their purchase price, age or repair...a Folkboat is just a beautiful boat.

In case it was the wine talking I drove by the H26 again this morning. It wasn't the wine talking.

Now this Hunter looks like fun...

Attached Files

#24 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

So, now it's a Hunter 26?
If you can't even identify the boat, it casts doubt on your "it's ugly" creds.

#25 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

It's a 24...I mispoke.

I know because my highly refined eye for shape and nuance was able to read Hunter 24 in large script on the hull.

#26 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

So...If someone asked for a half model of a Hunter 24....

#27 Jim in Halifax

Jim in Halifax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:All things sailing. All things jazz and recording. Most things musical. Old British cars.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

Hunter hasn't made any boats I like to look at since the late 80's / early 90s. I mean I understand the 'form follows function' mantra when it comes to purpose-built machines like the Vendee Globe Open 60s, but when its swinging on my mooring it better have a sweet sheer and comely lines. And sail well.

#28 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

So...If someone asked for a half model of a Hunter 24....

Sure...I'm a hull whore.

:lol:

#29 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

Booms:
"Elitism"?
What gives you the right to say that?

#30 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

Hunter hasn't made any boats I like to look at since the late 80's / early 90s. I mean I understand the 'form follows function' mantra when it comes to purpose-built machines like the Vendee Globe Open 60s, but when its swinging on my mooring it better have a sweet sheer and comely lines. And sail well.

That's a pretty big brush stroke. I think you just made a handful of HC50s cry.

#31 Boomberries

Boomberries

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

Sculpin, IB, Ish ... no worries. it wasn't you and who it was, is not that important. I approached the person who wrote the post a month or two ago, directly with an email. I'm not the type to just whine about something that pissed me off. I tend to be a pro-active person.

Now, I'm going to go make some French toast .... and let y'all carry on.

#32 Jim in Halifax

Jim in Halifax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:All things sailing. All things jazz and recording. Most things musical. Old British cars.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

Brush stroke? I thought I was using a paint roller :D I personally don't like deckhouses with big windows/windshields, Bergstrom rigs and mains with huge roaches - save 'em for the cats - and mainsheets on overhead trestles...chaqu'un à son gout (to each his own).

But hey, whatever gets you out on the water, sailing...

#33 Timo42's sockpuppet

Timo42's sockpuppet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

Sculpin, IB, Ish ... no worries. it wasn't you and who it was, is not that important. I approached the person who wrote the post a month or two ago, directly with an email. I'm not the type to just whine about something that pissed me off. I tend to be a pro-active person.

Now, I'm going to go make some French toast .... and let y'all carry on.

PicsVideo... :P

#34 Timo42's sockpuppet

Timo42's sockpuppet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

My boat probably qualifies as ugly to some, Venture 222, but you can't see that from the cockpit. :) But the only person who ever sneered about it used to own a H-R... Oh yeah and El Boothiachi had fun with the fact that I keep it in the driveway, but he was boatless and therefore unworthy to comment until today. :lol:

#35 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

It's the old French toast ploy.

#36 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

I wonder if the French Toast Girl knows about the following she has here :)

#37 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

I’m sure some people look at my beat up old folkboat and shake their head, and, dare I admit it, so do I sometimes when I longingly look at the sharp well kept yachts around, thinking maybe one day… Comparing her to the boats (Sliver, Catari, Spirit 46, et al) that we regularly see here on CA is a painful exercise.

She badly needs hull and deck painted, all her exterior wood redone, the interior needs finishing, and the sails are way past their sell by date...

The limited time and cash I have available to spend on her, enable me to do just the occasional large project while staying on top of the essential maintenance – and yes, that does mean that the cosmetics are more often than not left for what they are… And as it is, all that maintenance eats into that time and cash actually left over to go out sailing. So far this year, I spent 6 full days working on the boat, 2 days at home building and wiring a new switch panel, all for one single great afternoon’s sail…

Does it make sense? No of course it doesn’t…

But then I think of the great times I’ve had with this boat… She brought me from Ireland to Scotland and across the North Sea to the Netherlands. Fundamentally she’s quite sound, and step by step I AM improving her. I also know that newer boats are not necessarily maintenance free.

For the moment, she’s the boat that I have, my own pathway to the joys of sailing.

So, to all who judge her by appearance only, be damned!

+1

I used to call my F-27 "an appliance for sailing". I grew up on classic east coast yachts, family owned a Hinckley Pilot, spent a few years racing classic wooden boats, blah blah. The F-27 reminds me of an early VW Golf GTI- a little box that goes like hell. My current 31 is big enough to have some lines and I love watching it sail, but most folks generally dismiss it.

When I see people sailing boats that are ugly and slow, I try and ask myself "Are they safe where they are, are they having fun?" I worry that boats that won't go to weather or won't move in waves will eventually discourage people, but otherwise, if they have sails up, I'm good.

But heck, I just posted in the thread on SA about the crazy fellow building the giant plywood cat (http://forums.sailin...howtopic=126442) that I'm hoping by some miracle he succeeds.

"A bad day on the water is better than a good day on land".

#38 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

It's a 24...I mispoke.

I know because my highly refined eye for shape and nuance was able to read Hunter 24 in large script on the hull.

I don't think you have to know exactly what it is, to know it's ugly. Are you sure it's not a Hunter 240 and the "oh" fell off?

Besides, utility is beauty (they say)

FB- Doug

#39 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

Here's Hunter. He's 24.

Hard to tell because I'm a dude but he seems like a pretty good looking guy.

Posted Image

#40 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

Many years ago, we were in a lagoon with only my old cruising boat (which of course I thought was beautiful) and a sloop that was hard-chined, home built, welded up out of scrap steel plate (complete with rust stains), reverse shear, literally a telephone pole for a mast, gavi-wire rigging and a home made companionway hatch that came right out of Das Boot. I remarked to no one in particular that it was about the ugliest boat I'd ever seen.

Then, two kids popped up from down below that were about the age of my two.... then the two kids on the ugly boat swam over to say "hi" to my two and were followed by their parents in the dink. Then I notices ("NOTICED" at a level that got me a punch in the ribs) that the mother of these two adorable kids was breathtakingly, no BREATHTAKINGLY, beautiful in a nice small bikini with all the right bits in all the right places.... and I still have no idea what her husband looked like (just kidding).

We became pretty good friends with the folks from the Ugly Boat and sailed with them for months in the S. Pacific. Every beautiful lagoon we anchored in, there was this homebuilt piece of steel leaking rust into the water. Oh well, one can always look the other way.

After a few months the father of the two great kids from the Ugly Boat with the BEAUTIFUL wife and I were having a beer on the beach on some atoll and he turns to me and says: "You know our boat doesn't look so good from here." "Na," I responded "It's fine." "Well, there are three good things about that boat," he continued "I got to build it from the pieces that were left over after a barge welding job I did, so it didn't cost much of anything. It brought us here safely from Vancouver 'cuz it's bomb-proof strong. But the best thing is it isn't nearly so UGLY when I'm sitting on it looking at your boat!" We both cracked up.

I've lost track of that family, but I learned from one of my kids later that they had sailing the Ugly Boat back to the PNW via Japan and Alaska. The Ugly Boat had taken them places which they would have never seen any other way. I think of them sometimes when I'm sanding varnish..... the Ugly Boat that gets you there is so much more beautiful than the Pretty Boat that keeps you at the dock stroking the varnish.

BV

#41 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,584 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

Many years ago, we were in a lagoon with only my old cruising boat (which of course I thought was beautiful) and a sloop that was hard-chined, home built, welded up out of scrap steel plate (complete with rust stains), reverse shear, literally a telephone pole for a mast, gavi-wire rigging and a home made companionway hatch that came right out of Das Boot. I remarked to no one in particular that it was about the ugliest boat I'd ever seen.

Then, two kids popped up from down below that were about the age of my two.... then the two kids on the ugly boat swam over to say "hi" to my two and were followed by their parents in the dink. Then I notices ("NOTICED" at a level that got me a punch in the ribs) that the mother of these two adorable kids was breathtakingly, no BREATHTAKINGLY, beautiful in a nice small bikini with all the right bits in all the right places.... and I still have no idea what her husband looked like (just kidding).

We became pretty good friends with the folks from the Ugly Boat and sailed with them for months in the S. Pacific. Every beautiful lagoon we anchored in, there was this homebuilt piece of steel leaking rust into the water. Oh well, one can always look the other way.

After a few months the father of the two great kids from the Ugly Boat with the BEAUTIFUL wife and I were having a beer on the beach on some atoll and he turns to me and says: "You know our boat doesn't look so good from here." "Na," I responded "It's fine." "Well, there are three good things about that boat," he continued "I got to build it from the pieces that were left over after a barge welding job I did, so it didn't cost much of anything. It brought us here safely from Vancouver 'cuz it's bomb-proof strong. But the best thing is it isn't nearly so UGLY when I'm sitting on it looking at your boat!" We both cracked up.

I've lost track of that family, but I learned from one of my kids later that they had sailing the Ugly Boat back to the PNW via Japan and Alaska. The Ugly Boat had taken them places which they would have never seen any other way. I think of them sometimes when I'm sanding varnish..... the Ugly Boat that gets you there is so much more beautiful than the Pretty Boat that keeps you at the dock stroking the varnish.

BV

Nicely done Beau!

#42 Alpha FB

Alpha FB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

the Ugly Boat that gets you there is so much more beautiful than the Pretty Boat that keeps you at the dock stroking the varnish.

BV

+1000 !

#43 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

the Ugly Boat that gets you there is so much more beautiful than the Pretty Boat that keeps you at the dock stroking the varnish.

BV

+1000 !

Now that winter is here, first real rainstorm is just arriving, I get to contemplate doing varnish vs drifting around off the coast in the calms or getting plastered by the fronts.... Ah well, S'agapo is a beautiful task master.....

B-)

#44 slap

slap

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

Posted Image

Someone had an S2 CC like that one where I kept my boat. Boat had been on the hard for years, and the owner finally came out one time because the boat had filled with water. He told me he had bought the boat because of the great engine access. Never saw him again, but the boat stayed on the hard.......

#45 wick

wick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

BV

Well said. Did she ever make French Toast?

#46 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

I really like that story Beau. It pulls the importance of aesthetics into proportion.

I have this funny image in my mind from time to time:
Imagine you own a 140' mega sailing yacht. You are moored in Porto Fino.
The crew is ashore and you are sitting on your Lido deck with a drink, by yourself and you are lonely and that makes you depressed.
What now?
Buy a 150' yacht? Buy a 160' yacht? Will that make you happy?

Is "happy" on an ugly 32'er and different from"happy" on a 140'er?
Does "happy": got to 11 on a 140'er?
No, I don't think so. The knob is just recalibrated.

#47 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:The usual stuff.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

This can be hard.

I've got a friend. My age, and he got into sailing three years ago. Single dad, and although he's doing OK every penny counts. Last year he bought a beat up old O'day 25. Needed lots of work, and cosmetics is at the end of the un-finished list. Now some of the things he wants to do to that boat make no sense to me, and I have to bite my tounge, becasee he loves that freeking thing. I can't see it, but that's not important. He blogs about his sailing, and after reading it its clear that he's having just as much fun, or maybe more, than I am.

I used to know a gentleman that flew P41s in the pacific. Man he loved than plane. I asked him once about that unquestioning love, and the superiority of the Zeke. He looked at me like I was stupid. He said, "That plane got me here. That plane is going to get me home. If I didn't love it, I got no business taking off."

#48 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

I really like that story Beau. It pulls the importance of aesthetics into proportion.

The crew is ashore and you are sitting on your Lido deck with a drink, by yourself and you are lonely and that makes you depressed.
What now?

As you go to bigger and bigger boats at some point you just become a passenger. Your involvement diminishes as the paid crew does all the work. At some point it is about status and not sailing. That's my opinion. Having said that there are exceptions. Some mega yacht owners take a hands on approach and actually operate their vessels while aboard. Few and far between though.

#49 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:10 PM

Christ, where's Mighetto when you need him...

#50 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,504 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

Posted Image

Someone had an S2 CC like that one where I kept my boat. Boat had been on the hard for years, and the owner finally came out one time because the boat had filled with water. He told me he had bought the boat because of the great engine access. Never saw him again, but the boat stayed on the hard.......

I wonder who designed what on the S2 8.0 boats. I think we can be sure that Arthur Edmunds drew the lines, but I can't bring myself to blame him for this CC version without some proof. The 8.0B is rather nice, and I might have one instead of the the boat I have if the power options were better.

#51 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

I was hired by S2 to design a 28' center cockpit boat. I did and it looked quite good.
But right after I did the design they got out of the sailboat building business so the design just sits, somewhere. Probably the garage. That's where everything is since the move to the beach.

#52 Cruisin Loser

Cruisin Loser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,639 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, rock climbing, skiing, steatopygia, stuff

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

I hear ya Ish. In fact, some of the uglier ones are so damn freakish I can't stop staring at them. But hey, their owners seem happy enough.

Posted Image

Pray tell, what's wrong with this boat? Perhaps a bit cramped due to the flush deck, but nothing unattractive to my eye.

#53 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,702 posts
  • Interests:It's Obvious!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

This can be hard.

I've got a friend. My age, and he got into sailing three years ago. Single dad, and although he's doing OK every penny counts. Last year he bought a beat up old O'day 25. Needed lots of work, and cosmetics is at the end of the un-finished list. Now some of the things he wants to do to that boat make no sense to me, and I have to bite my tounge, becasee he loves that freeking thing. I can't see it, but that's not important. He blogs about his sailing, and after reading it its clear that he's having just as much fun, or maybe more, than I am.

I used to know a gentleman that flew P41s in the pacific. Man he loved than plane. I asked him once about that unquestioning love, and the superiority of the Zeke. He looked at me like I was stupid. He said, "That plane got me here. That plane is going to get me home. If I didn't love it, I got no business taking off."

I wonder if some people think that about me, and the work I put into my P30. You guys just don't know...I love my boat. She and I saved each other.
When it's blowing really hard, as long as I do my part correctly, she stands up and sails without trying to dump me in the drink. The boat is solid and inspires confidence. I feel safe and trust the boat. Whenever the boat is behaving badly, it's definitely because I'm doing something wrong.

I see other boats I like, but I don't lust after them the way I do after my own boat. There are a surprising number of P30's within just mile or two of me. They keep popping out of the woodwork. I love to look at them when they sail.

I'm sure that plenty of people think my boat is an old, POS and that I shouldn't waste another nickle.

#54 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

BV, I love your story. It has all the elements, even the fine looking woman. It reminds me of this story, which I've already told here.

But I've told all my stories here.

His boat was ugly but he was happy. I admired him.

I love to tell this story.

I was out with Adele and Ann anchored off of Third Beach. We'd just taken Adele's favorite walk to the precipice near the bird sanctuary and were back on the boat when we heard some noises. A sailboat, for which the only thing good to say is that it floated, came in. The sailing family seemed to be having a great time. One said to us, "Hey, beautiful boat you have. We just got ours on Ebay!" They dropped the hook, the kids took off their clothes and jumped in naked. They were having a ball.

As the sun set I turned to the E and there was this huge orange ball in the sky. It took my breath away, a gorgeous harvest moon. I thought how lucky we all were in that anchorage and that the boat we were on mattered little. We all share the same moon.

#55 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

What now?

Whenever I think of having a bigger boat I always say to myself, "There's always a guy with a bigger boat."

If it's a contest it's not worth winning. I like my little boat.

#56 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

kdh:
We'd all like your "little boat".

I can see a kdh and Chopper skit coming out of this.

#57 slap

slap

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

What now?

You left out the part about the breathtakingly beautiful woman in the little bikini. Then it is "boat? what boat?"

#58 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

Posted Image

Pray tell, what's wrong with this boat? Perhaps a bit cramped due to the flush deck, but nothing unattractive to my eye.

It's a Tartan Ten

If you like pipe berths & bouncy upwind, nothing wrong with it at all. They're a lot of fun.

FB- Doug

#59 Beer Fueled Mayhem

Beer Fueled Mayhem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

Ignoring also.

#60 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,584 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

What now?

Whenever I think of having a bigger boat I always say to myself, "There's always a guy with a bigger boat."

If you and your spouse can not handle the vessel by yourself then it is too big.

#61 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

What now?

If you and your spouse can not handle the vessel by yourself then it is too big.

I agree. Even something that I can't single-hand is too big for my kind of sailing. I assume you'll be able to single-hand your new boat.

#62 viktor

viktor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

This little guy was the first boat my wife and I got after moving to the pnw from the SF bay area in the mid 70s. It was an old Can. lifeboat (never did find out what type of ship it was from,any ideas?).
The little people were 5 and 7 years old at the time. It wasn't fast or fancy but we all had an absolute blast on the "Lovely Duck". We all once spent an entire week just messing around the sound. Very fond memories for all of us. The kids still bring it up from time to time. 18ft of fun. :D

Attached File  IMG.jpg   105K   22 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0001.jpg   156.5K   22 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0002.jpg   470.82K   16 downloads

#63 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,584 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

What now?

I agree. Even something that I can't single-hand is too big for my kind of sailing. I assume you'll be able to single-hand your new boat.

That was the design limit, it had to be a vessel I could sail by myself.

I don't recommend that everyone jump into a 62 foot boat and try to sail her alone, but with careful understanding of the limitations and advanced thinking and planning it can be done.

(I have quite a bit of single handed experience.)

#64 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

I know you can do it Kim.

#65 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,015 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

Booms:
"Elitism"?

I'd say she has the right to say anything she wants Bob, just like the rest of us. Gate felt he had the right to start a topic purely to diss some blokes boat just because it was parked in his street.

Is it funny? Maybe. Is it necessary or informative? No. Is it being elitist? Probably.

#66 steele

steele

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:03 PM

An aquaintence of mine had a hunter 28, very similar look to the 24. She sailed it all over the place and lived on it for 10 yrs with her husband. She had it set up for single handing, including a roller furling boom, which gave her a lot more confidence as a newer sailor (her husband was not into sailing). There is an old saying that the best camara is the one you have in hand when the photo opportunity presents itself, I think the best boats are the ones that get used no matter what they look like. The kicker to this story was the boat she had before the Hunter, a Mac 26.

#67 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:The usual stuff.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:33 PM

This can be hard.

I wonder if some people think that about me, and the work I put into my P30. You guys just don't know...I love my boat. She and I saved each other.
When it's blowing really hard, as long as I do my part correctly, she stands up and sails without trying to dump me in the drink. The boat is solid and inspires confidence. I feel safe and trust the boat. Whenever the boat is behaving badly, it's definitely because I'm doing something wrong.

I see other boats I like, but I don't lust after them the way I do after my own boat. There are a surprising number of P30's within just mile or two of me. They keep popping out of the woodwork. I love to look at them when they sail.

I'm sure that plenty of people think my boat is an old, POS and that I shouldn't waste another nickle.

Jax,

Naw, I wasn't thinking of you (or someone like you ) at all in this situation. You've been around that block. This is not your FIRST BOAT. I think we all do things on out first boats that make people do double takes. We don't know any better. We think its the last boat, the perfect boat, our forever boat. Own a couple and you know better. You know were it fits within your life. You make pragmatic choices on how to improve it based on that experience.

My buddy, I could tell him that dipping his boat in gold would not improve its resale value. I could tell him that it is NOT going to be a long term boat for him. But I won't because he's loving it, and wouldn't trade that sucker for anything. At least right now.

#68 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:45 AM

Booms:
"Elitism"?

I'd say she has the right to say anything she wants Bob, just like the rest of us. Gate felt he had the right to start a topic purely to diss some blokes boat just because it was parked in his street.

Is it funny? Maybe. Is it necessary or informative? No. Is it being elitist? Probably.

You tell 'em Paps. I dig the candor.

#69 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:53 AM

Jeezus you guys!!!
Did you think I was serious?

"Gee wizz Bob I think you had better sit down and rethink what you said to Booms And thebn whip yourself for a hour. It wasn't very nice what you said Bob. It showed disrespect. She deserves your respect."
Give me a fucking break!
HTFU you wussies!

I have had Booms spend the night here on several occasions. She has sat up with us and drank until dawn. I have put her in charge of taking care of me when I thought that was called for. And she did even when it was hard for her. And me.

Fort fuck's sake don't think I don't have the world of respect for Booms.

Shit, I need to find a new pub.
And on top of all that she is a great sailor.

No offense but this place has gone to the dogs.

#70 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:03 AM

Bob, you forgot to add the "no offense..." - would have been clear then.

Personally I think it is fair game to call out a designer who drops a turd shaped vaguely like a boat. But once someone has adopted that poor old thing I think you have to leave the owner alone. Kinda like telling someone their kid is ugly - may be true, but not helpful info...

#71 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:11 AM

Sculper:
Thanks I fixed that.

I wasn't calling any boats turds. I was responding to,,,,oh forget it.

#72 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:16 AM

This is reading like "the real house wives of CA“.

#73 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:25 AM

I like sailing an ugly boat because I look better by comparison. Sorta like when a pudgy chick hangs out with really fat chicks.

#74 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:26 AM

I like sailing an ugly boat because I look better by comparison. Sorta like when a pudgy chick hangs out with really fat chicks.

Yeah, but they can diet.

#75 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:31 AM

Sort of like why I gave up alpine and took up tele skiing. I still suck but people think, "Not bad considering he has half a binding!"

#76 Dale dug a hole

Dale dug a hole

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  • Interests:Digging holes

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:23 AM

Fuck eh, I go away for a while, and you turn on yourselves.

Talk about ugly.

#77 rattus32

rattus32

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:23 AM

Booms:
"Elitism"?

Paps, I think Bob was making a joke there - It would be pretty elitist to question whether someone has the *right* to call someone elitist... I liked the irony.

No offense.

Mike

#78 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:29 AM

Rat:
Exactly. I was trying to make a joke. Brilliant mob we have here.

#79 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:31 AM

Sculper:
Thanks I fixed that.

I wasn't calling any boats turds. I was responding to,,,,oh forget it.

Bob
I was calling boats turds, not intending it to be interpreted as if you were... was just saying that your joke would have been clearer with the "no offense" appended!

Geeze, lots of miscommunication in here today, some by me. I'm out!

#80 Boomberries

Boomberries

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:51 AM

Whiskey tango foxtrot .... :P
I go off to make French toast complete with fresh ground cinnamon, allspice, vanilla and french bread and what happens?
Paps, my dear fella. Bob's humor was perfectly dry and ironic and I got it right away. Sadly, I had to rush off to work to save old farts, and didn't check back to give him credit for a very humourous line. I took no offence, and never thought any was intended. Boom hugs to the lot of you.

How did riff raff staffacar get back in?? I have a strong feeling he is one and the same as "Just Bob" who was kicked out of here in May.

This is for stuffabar ... now on ignore

Attached Files

#81 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:10 AM

Whiskey tango foxtrot .... :P
I go off to make French toast complete with fresh ground cinnamon, allspice, vanilla and french bread and what happens?
Paps, my dear fella. Bob's humor was perfectly dry and ironic and I got it right away. Sadly, I had to rush off to work to save old farts, and didn't check back to give him credit for a very humourous line. I took no offence, and never thought any was intended. Boom hugs to the lot of you.

How did riff raff staffacar get back in?? I have a strong feeling he is one and the same as "Just Bob" who was kicked out of here in May.

This is for stuffabar ... now on ignore

I dunno, Just Bob's new clown suit is Dale is a Hole, I don't get quite the same vibe but I could be wrong. The whole Staph Attack thing is more calculated to draw venomous response and create factions and friction. I mentioned in another thread that it seemed more like Squid to me. Squid is a seppo himself but frequently posed as foreign scum to create discord. Whoever it is, I hope they come down with shingles all over their body.

#82 ronin

ronin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:31 AM

Rat:
Exactly. I was trying to make a joke. Brilliant mob we have here.

don't feel bad. I've noticed the same trend here lately. seems like wit is no longer part of some people's skill set

#83 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:44 AM

Ok, looks like everyone has had a bad day. Drinks are on me. Now let's shake hands and get back to sailing.

#84 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:38 AM

beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

Attached Files

#85 Dale dug a hole

Dale dug a hole

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  • Interests:Digging holes

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:08 AM

Shit, where am I, is this ugly thread or the live aboard / world cruiser thread.

As there is nothing ugly about the above pic

#86 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

This little guy was the first boat my wife and I got after moving to the pnw from the SF bay area in the mid 70s. It was an old Can. lifeboat (never did find out what type of ship it was from,any ideas?).
The little people were 5 and 7 years old at the time. It wasn't fast or fancy but we all had an absolute blast on the "Lovely Duck". We all once spent an entire week just messing around the sound. Very fond memories for all of us. The kids still bring it up from time to time. 18ft of fun. :D

Viktor, Nice !!

When I was 19 and just earning enough for pubbing, chasing skirts, and sailing, two friends and I put this little 21ft bilge keeler together from a kit to go cruising when we weren't racing our Flying Fifteen. We added spinnaker gear to the Snapdragon so we could do at least 4 knots off the wind :lol: .A lot of people sneered at the Snapdragon 21 design and said it was butt ugly and a blight on the "civilized yachting" community. The colour of the coachroof was awful but sitting in some of the anchorages or dried out parking spots we visited, it looked just fine !!

It was a seaworthy little boat and we had a blast around the English Channel, Northern France, Belgium and up the North Sea. In the 3 years we went gunkholing in small harbors and bays we covered a couple of thousand miles and survived some Force 9 storms in the Channel (40+knots) . A fun boat and very functional giving us access to lots of places that dry out. It was this little boat that got me hooked on navigation with basic tools, knot meter, lead line, and an RDF. Fun times and I would do it all again on that boat !!
Attached File  Snapdragon 21 Mistral high and dry-sm.jpg   201.71K   12 downloads
(pic of sistership)

Edit: so all you elitists can piss off.... no offense :rolleyes:

#87 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

OK...lets lay the blame squarely where it should be for this thread...on me.

I don't like the boat in question, but I shouldn't have taken this approach, in fact I shouldn't have taken any approach...perhaps just another route home.

I have requested this thread be removed.

Sorry to all. I usually don't act so callously. (In my defense jackson-Triggs is partly to blame)

#88 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

Viktor, Nice !!

When I was 19 and just earning enough for pubbing, chasing skirts, and sailing, two friends and I put this little 21ft bilge keeler together from a kit to go cruising when we weren't racing our Flying Fifteen. We added spinnaker gear to the Snapdragon so we could do at least 4 knots off the wind :lol: .A lot of people sneered at the Snapdragon 21 design and said it was butt ugly and a blight on the "civilized yachting" community. The colour of the coachroof was awful but sitting in some of the anchorages or dried out parking spots we visited, it looked just fine !!

It was a seaworthy little boat and we had a blast around the English Channel, Northern France, Belgium and up the North Sea. In the 3 years we went gunkholing in small harbors and bays we covered a couple of thousand miles and survived some Force 9 storms in the Channel (40+knots) . A fun boat and very functional giving us access to lots of places that dry out. It was this little boat that got me hooked on navigation with basic tools, knot meter, lead line, and an RDF. Fun times and I would do it all again on that boat !!
Attached File  Snapdragon 21 Mistral high and dry-sm.jpg   201.71K   12 downloads
(pic of sistership)

Edit: so all you elitists can piss off.... no offense :rolleyes:

I think that's neat WHL !

#89 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

OK...lets lay the blame squarely where it should be for this thread...on me.

I don't like the boat in question, but I shouldn't have taken this approach, in fact I shouldn't have taken any approach...perhaps just another route home.

I have requested this thread be removed.

Sorry to all. I usually don't act so callously. (In my defense jackson-Triggs is partly to blame)

I wouldn't remove the thread...there's some good stories here.

#90 Jim in Halifax

Jim in Halifax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

Jeez Gate, isn't asking for the thread to be deleted a bit too far the other way? You have made your apologies for the elitism, that's enough! Besides, I was just starting to sort out the elite here at CA :D
Really, boats are just like wives, GFs or significant others - everyone is attractive to someone: some are head-turners to a majority. I know lots of boats that may not be lookers but have been wonderful escape machines for their owners. My old Albin Vega comes to mind...

#91 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

I liked the Albin Vega a lot in my youth....still think they're neat.

#92 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

I don't think I can un-request a deletion...I'm going to just go carve a hull and think happy thoughts.

#93 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

Sure you can....have a pleasant day!

#94 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

Had a friend that had a Westerly 26' Cantaur. Well built boat, though I thought the aft lower shroud attachment right above the port light a bit skeptical. Though I've heard of these making ocean passages with no problem, seemed like a slow boat to China. Just sailing here in the sound on cruises, it was usually always a horizon job to a destination unless we kept going back or reducing sail, to sail at a very leisurely pace, so they could keep up.

#95 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

No offense, but not a thing about this thread needs deleting, dammit :)

#96 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,015 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

Jeezus you guys!!!
Did you think I was serious?

"Gee wizz Bob I think you had better sit down and rethink what you said to Booms And thebn whip yourself for a hour. It wasn't very nice what you said Bob. It showed disrespect. She deserves your respect."
Give me a fucking break!
HTFU you wussies!

I have had Booms spend the night here on several occasions. She has sat up with us and drank until dawn. I have put her in charge of taking care of me when I thought that was called for. And she did even when it was hard for her. And me.

Fort fuck's sake don't think I don't have the world of respect for Booms.

Shit, I need to find a new pub.
And on top of all that she is a great sailor.

No offense but this place has gone to the dogs.

I think an hour is a bit long Bob, 20 mins should do it. :)

#97 greeng

greeng

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Blacksmithing, Beer, Boats.

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

As the current owner of one of the ugliest boats still out there I'm enjoying this thread. I have an irrational love for my Cal even though it looks like the bastard child of a gun turret and a Lapworth hull.

Here she is today before and after haulout.

IMG 20121114 111833

IMG 20121114 111813

IMG 20121117 150158

#98 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,872 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

How the fuck could you not have gotten Bob's joke. FFS

As for Gate, It's been a while since we've gotten the pitchforks out, now seems like a good time.

#99 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,872 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

Greeng, on an elitist scale form one to ten, I'm sorry but the best I can give you is a solid three, and that's only because the boat looks well maintained.

Gate May be able to give you better but I doubt it.

#100 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

3 pictures of a boat and no tits. What's this place coming to?

You should park that baby down the street from Gatekeeper and see what paroxysms of repulsion you can create. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users