#1 shanghaisailor

shanghaisailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

BOATS BEHAVING BADLY
So there is an incident on the water – what do you do?

1/ Do you take it to the room? 2/ Do you pass it off as just another incident and carry on enjoying the racing? 3/ Do you fly the flag, shout protest and later take it down because you don’t want to interrupt your party time? 4/ Do you even discuss it with the other boat over a beer after racing? 5/ Or do you post it on the internet website of which you are the regional editor?

Here’s a clue, pick any one from 4!

Or you can do as this author did, ignore RRS Rules 2 & 3 and give the other boat no right to reply and then proceed to try and malign them, not once but 5 times in the same article as if they were responsible for everything that was wrong with racing that day. See the link below!

http://www.sail-worl...ng-Badly/103281

And not content with that follow it up with a 2nd article the following day;

http://www.sail-worl...w-astern/103363

Obviously the author didn’t really like any of his Shenzhen experience as the Swan (82 not 83), the event and the country all come in for a tongue lashing, and this from a journalist who at the 2011 Phuket King’s Cup was heard to say about Chinese sailors “If you can’t understand English what are you doing at an International regatta.” Perhaps he should take some of his own medicine.

Frankly I would have just liked the opportunity to be able to face my accuser (as per the rules) in front of the 5 man International Jury provided by the event organizers rather than reading a one sided, inaccurate, internet protest hearing which is neither in the spirit nor to the letter of the Racing Rules of Sailing.

Now – who was right and who was wrong? We will never know, maybe he didn’t have the balls to find out.

What would you do?

See ya on the water

SS

#2 HILLY

HILLY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

Interesting reading, I'm guessing it's your Swan??
I don't see where he blamed you for all that went wrong in his races, or he would have said "c@nts at the start are what
caused our blown kite / bad gybes,etc".
Nice article, holiday racing, and a big boat barging at the boat end, with big boat syndrome, its no different to any
"holiday" regatta anywhere in the world.
You should just enjoy your sailing, or is it "cause they came 2nd, an A40 1st, that you feel hard done by after "winning
the starts"??
Oh and the thing about understanding English... it is the international language for navigation.

#3 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,639 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

Because the best way of complaining about whinging on the internet is by....... :rolleyes:

#4 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts
  • Interests:Danger

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

What I find comical is someone coming on SA to complain about someone else bashing him in magnetic ink. Not really known to be a sympathetic audience in such matters.

#5 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,105 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

Posted Image

#6 Cavalier

Cavalier

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

I was amused by-

"It is was noticeable that once again the majority of Grand Prix boats in the region were absent, many of them having sailed the Hong Kong-Hainan Race and then continued south towards the Raja Muda and King’s Cup. A couple of years ago CCIR asked AsianYachting.com if they (the regatta) could please be included in the point-score list for the AY Grand Prix. The answer – 'when you’ve got a Grand Prix division.' "

So pray tell how Subic got included?

Just askin.

#7 walterbshaffer

walterbshaffer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts
  • Interests:Formerly Member No. 9720

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

I would call Lo Pan and have him make it go away.

Attached File  big_trouble_in_little_china_xl_01--film-A.jpg   21.79K   0 downloads

#8 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,016 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

I think you got off easy by NOT getting protested, if you were as close as they say you were. I think taking a little ribbing is a fair penalty. How long does it take to do a circle in a Swan 82 (not 83)?

#9 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,671 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

Hmmm SS, if you were the Swan, did you have room or were you bullying uoir way through? I've seen big boats barging and then when a more maneuverable small boat shuts them out, they start whining about not being given room and opportunity to keep clear. They want it both ways. <_<

#10 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

BOATS BEHAVING BADLY

1/ Do you take it to the room? 2/ Do you pass it off as just another incident and carry on enjoying the racing? 3/ Do you fly the flag, shout protest and later take it down because you don’t want to interrupt your party time? 4/ Do you even discuss it with the other boat over a beer after racing? 5/ Or do you post it on the internet website of which you are the regional editor?

Or you can do as this author did, ignore RRS Rules 2 & 3 and give the other boat no right to reply and then proceed to try and malign them, not once but 5 times in the same article as if they were responsible for everything that was wrong with racing that day. See the link below!

Obviously the author didn’t really like any of his Shenzhen experience as the Swan (82 not 83), the event and the country all come in for a tongue lashing, and this from a journalist who at the 2011 Phuket King’s Cup was heard to say about Chinese sailors “If you can’t understand English what are you doing at an International regatta.” Perhaps he should take some of his own medicine.

Frankly I would have just liked the opportunity to be able to face my accuser (as per the rules) in front of the 5 man International Jury provided by the event organizers rather than reading a one sided, inaccurate, internet protest hearing which is neither in the spirit nor to the letter of the Racing Rules of Sailing.

Now – who was right and who was wrong? We will never know, maybe he didn’t have the balls to find out.

What would you do?

See ya on the water

SS

GUILTY (can't say who but none the less)

#11 JasonD

JasonD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

Sounds like the Swan was being a dick...

#12 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:F-24II

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

They should have filed a protest if they thought they were fouled. And you shouldn't be racing with boats half your size.

#13 HobieAnarchy

HobieAnarchy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

BOATS BEHAVING BADLY

What would you do?

See ya on the water

SS

#14 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,996 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

Posted Image

#15 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

They should have filed a protest if they thought they were fouled. And you shouldn't be racing with boats half your size.

Shouldn't be barging at the start either

FB- Doug

#16 JumpingJax

JumpingJax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:Offshore passages, new landfalls

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

BOATS BEHAVING BADLY

What would you do?

See ya on the water

SS

You might want to be watching for tap-out action in the next regatta. Just saying.

#17 shanghaisailor

shanghaisailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:27 AM

Hey DA-WOODY

You are right about the 2nd incident. What the writer fails to mention about the start line incident is that the boat that he was on was on port compared to the Swan's starboard and that they tacked right in front of the Swan forgetting that a Swan is a bit faster than a J-109

In the first incident they luffed & curtailed in resonse to a hail - they were given room under Rule 10 and the Swan was also given room to keep clear under Rule 16.1 so in fact no-one guilty, what I would call a non incident.

Just my opinion and I wasn't asking anyone to make a decision who was right and who was wrong on the water.

No - what pissed me off was the modern day electronic version of a good old fashioned WILD WEST LYNCHING - no judge, no jury, no presentation or arguing of the evidence just an internet article by someone who was very biased (he was crew on the J-109) and all this showing a complete disregard for Rule 3 just for some cheap copy.

I would have loved to go to the room, it would have been an interesting learning process for both boats at the very least and if i was wrong, so be it - but it would have been so nice to have a right to reply.

Journalistic irresponsibility has just cost the BBC a lot of money. Should the need, desire or right to accuracy be any less just because it is a sport?

The sub site (/asia) where the article appeared claims to get half of its hits from China and i have already been asked "shouldn't they have just protested?". Sailing is very young here and we are trying to encourage sailors to play the WHOLE game correctly and frankly this sort of action does not help one little bit at all.

That is what the thread is all about - not Rule 10, or 11, or 13, or 16.1 or 19 etc

It is purely and simply about Rule 3 and the fact that by breaking Rule 3 - the fact the article even exists proves that part - were any other rules broken or potentially broken.

See ya on the water - and if you ever do come to sail in China let me know

SS

#18 Cavalier

Cavalier

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:44 AM

Hey DA-WOODY

You are right about the 2nd incident. What the writer fails to mention about the start line incident is that the boat that he was on was on port compared to the Swan's starboard and that they tacked right in front of the Swan forgetting that a Swan is a bit faster than a J-109

In the first incident they luffed & curtailed in resonse to a hail - they were given room under Rule 10 and the Swan was also given room to keep clear under Rule 16.1 so in fact no-one guilty, what I would call a non incident.

Just my opinion and I wasn't asking anyone to make a decision who was right and who was wrong on the water.

No - what pissed me off was the modern day electronic version of a good old fashioned WILD WEST LYNCHING - no judge, no jury, no presentation or arguing of the evidence just an internet article by someone who was very biased (he was crew on the J-109) and all this showing a complete disregard for Rule 3 just for some cheap copy.

I would have loved to go to the room, it would have been an interesting learning process for both boats at the very least and if i was wrong, so be it - but it would have been so nice to have a right to reply.

Journalistic irresponsibility has just cost the BBC British Taxpayer and or BBC License Fee Payer a lot of money. Should the need, desire or right to accuracy be any less just because it is a sport?

The sub site (/asia) where the article appeared claims to get half of its hits from China and i have already been asked "shouldn't they have just protested?". Sailing is very young here and we are trying to encourage sailors to play the WHOLE game correctly and frankly this sort of action does not help one little bit at all.

That is what the thread is all about - not Rule 10, or 11, or 13, or 16.1 or 19 etc

It is purely and simply about Rule 3 and the fact that by breaking Rule 3 - the fact the article even exists proves that part - were any other rules broken or potentially broken.

See ya on the water - and if you ever do come to sail in China let me know

SS

Certainly agree with you, if an incident indeed happened, take it to the protest room rather than whining in you own publication. This is not the first example of this kind of self serving journalism we've see G N.

BBC is not a good example as interestingly, it was the Welsh Police and not the BBC who named Lord McAlpine, but lets not detract from the issue.

I've corrected the bit about who it cost for you.

#19 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,923 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:52 AM

BOATS BEHAVING BADLY

<<<snip>>>

What would you do?

See ya on the water

SS

Generally, I have a chat with the other sailor(s) and we try figure out what really happened. Or I just blow it off.

#20 Drop Bear.

Drop Bear.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Interests:none.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

Wow.
Really posting here and getting in a hissy fit about those articles?

#21 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Anyone taking my side on the matter

missed teh intent of my post

#22 Remodel

Remodel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts
  • Interests:Sailboat racing and long distance cruising

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

Wow.

No shit. The article isn't all that well written IMHO, but nothing to get one's panties in a wad about.

#23 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,144 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

BOATS BEHAVING BADLY

<<<snip>>>

What would you do?

See ya on the water

SS

Generally, I have a chat with the other sailor(s) and we try figure out what really happened. Or I just blow it off.

.........or talk-it-up behind their back,,,decide verdict incognito,,,,pass sentence through a 3rd party

...at least that's how yer handled things when you were in a position of authority........Gouv,,,what an idiot <_<

#24 Drop Bear.

Drop Bear.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Interests:none.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

Wow.

No shit. The article isn't all that well written IMHO, but nothing to get one's panties in a wad about.

Exactly.

Makes you wonder who the real douche is that's behaving like a bitch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users