5 replies to this topic

#1 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:44 PM

StartLine is a stand alone GPS based app that runs on Android phones and tablets. As readers of L-36.com know, I tried several apps and GPS assisted technique for starts and they all had serious issues. It was the lack of an viable alternative that led to the development of StartLine. It was developed on the race course over the season and we kept changing it until it actually got us to the line on time in real race conditions. It has large high contrast readouts so you can see it in daylight conditions on a phone. It is on the Google Play store -- search StartLine (one word). There is a flexible waypoint capability included. The screen shows direction and time to the mark as well as speed and heading so that it is our complete race computer. But it is the starting part that was the main driver for the app. The display shows time to the start, time to the line, time to burn, and time to a selected layline. The thing that makes this app work is that you calibrate your speed to the line in the pre-start and that speed and direction are the basis of the time to the line conversion from distance. Thus, you can be heading away from the line and the app will still read how long it will take you, traveling that speed, to get back to the line. The time to the layline allows you to set up well in advance of the start as it is better to burn time early than kill your speed right at the line. As an example, assume you are heading away from the line, when the time to burn is equal to the time you know it takes to turn and accelerate, you tack back and will be at the line at the gun. A lot or work went into the accuracy of the GPS position calculation including interpolation between GPS readings and velocity compensation of position. I have complete instructions at http://L-36.com under the Android SatrtLine tab.

I hope you enjoy it,

Allen
L-36.com

#2 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

Here is a picture of the app running on a Nexus_One phone.
Posted Image

#3 Darkside

Darkside

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:14 AM

I like the simplicity and optimization for sunlight readability.

#4 Rando

Rando

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:Sailed on a few boats. Mostly invited back.

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:06 AM

So I went to the L36 website -- can't find the exact name of this particular software.  Went to the Google Play store -- cant find it.    

#5 TJSocal

TJSocal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:11 AM

So I went to the L36 website -- can't find the exact name of this particular software.  Went to the Google Play store -- cant find it.    

See this thread about how the lawyers kilt it...

#6 nobody.really

nobody.really

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:12 AM

Nice to know what happened but so freaking sad. I have to laugh. One of the reasons I bought a new Nexus phone this year was so I could get Allen's app! I figured he decided the support was too much of a pain. I never dreamed it was the legal BS. I still love my Nexus phone so no big deal and I can't see it in the sun with my polarized sun glasses on any way. Besides we'd just have a more accurate way of knowing were late to the line every time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: android, racing, app

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users