#1 thengling

thengling

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:Commodity, Firmness, and Delight

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:31 AM

Just wondering how cost prohibitive it would be to obtain classic sails for my '70's 5O5. Actually, it would be a bit of a mis-match, as I like the '50's look... like this forerunner of the 5O5... http://www.int505.or...pix/coronet.bmp
Anyone know who makes retro-sails? Or would I have to (gasp) make them myself?

#2 seajay

seajay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:46 AM

Perhaps a sail loft in Port Townsend, WA.

#3 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

Hmmm it depends what you want.
If you want retro sails in retro technology I'd say they wouldn't be too expensive.
But if you wanted new tech sails in a retro look, be prepared to pay!

#4 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,639 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

Well, for the true retro look you need narrow panels. Which means lots of stitching = lots of work = cost.

Surely the best place to ask would be, oh I don't know..., an actual sailmaker?

#5 thengling

thengling

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

It would definitely be retro "technology"... I'm not trying to win races. I don't know any sailmakers, and I doubt if there are any within a 1000km radius of here! Could be wrong, though likely I have to search beyond that... partly why I'm asking, really.

#6 Amati

Amati

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,645 posts
  • Interests:0 (t) = 0

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

This might interest you. Loook through the list of kits they make (I think I saw a 505 kit), and then you can customize your kit. They will also make you a kit from scratch. As you will see, they do narrow panels, classic looks and have different cloths that would work. If you're willing to assemble them yourself, the savings are pretty spectacular. The sails look great, but I don't know racing results. The head sailmaker does not consider himself a traditional designer, but a modern sailmaker doing different styles.

http://search.sailri...pular-Sail-Kits

Here's a complete list of kits.

http://www.sailritesails.com/

#7 wing wang

wing wang

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

I will be looking for retro looking sails for my classic 14, but will simply take the sails I have - the original suit - to a sailmaker and get a copy made. That way they will be good for use but still be true to the age of the boat. That's what I would do in your position, rather than stick on soemthing that isn't meant to be there and wont - to my mind - look right.

#8 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:37 AM

Well, for the true retro look you need narrow panels. Which means lots of stitching = lots of work = cost.

Surely the best place to ask would be, oh I don't know..., an actual sailmaker?

Narrow panels & miter cut
Although the radial cut appeared in the mid-1960s... I never knew anybody that had them

FB- Doug

#9 thengling

thengling

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

WW, I agree with you, mostly. Narrow panel, mitre cut, etc., would indeed look proper with wood spars, bronze blocks, and hemp tone sheets. On the other hand, in the '60's one could see mitre panel sails on aluminum spars. It would certainly look wrong paired with (in my case) the orange and white deck and hull. Technora sails would in theory look just as wrong. However, I am thinking of re-finishing the boat. Given that the design is always in transition anyway, I don't think I would mind the mis-match.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sail, classic, sails, dinghy, 5o5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users