3335 replies to this topic

#101 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,105 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

The nice thing about those old Cal 27 T-2, is that they sail quite well, whether it's blowing or light....definately a PHRF killer and a very slippery hull in light air. We have two local boats that race regularly, one races in the flying sail division and the other in the no-flying sail division. They both usually place at the top of their respective fleets, both overall and corrected.

http://cycedmonds.or...uff Results.pdf

#102 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,782 posts
  • Interests:Ummmm......sailboat racing

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

You'd have to look pretty hard to find any ugly IOR boats. Of course there were a few but in general that rule made for some pretty boats with highly interesting shapes.

Hmm... While I'm in no position to disagree with Bob Freakin Perry My boat is IOR specific and while I love her (and spend silly amounts of money with the sole purpose of embarrassing "pretty" boat owners), she's not everyone's cuppa joe.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes, the Cal T/2 wasn't the prettiest design from Lapworth. But it's still Lapworth and there was a Cal T/2in Vancouver called "Bad News" and it won everything there was to win; for years. Swiftsure, Straits, VARC - everything. The boat and the owner were legendary. The owners son has worked for North Sails for eons and we've sailed together for probably 20 years. A lot of history.

Bob/Boomer,

The Buccaneer 335 and 295 came from Chaser Yachts in Ontario. I think the molds were shipped to the Bayliner factory in Marysville,
WA - probably '77. The Chaser 33 where almost identical but the 29/295 were different as they re-tooled the deck but same hull and I sailed a Chaser 29 on & off for years. The 335 had a modicum of success and I raced one for about a year and I sailed against "Poncho" from here at the '78 3/4 ton worlds on a 335.

Bob, I might not have this quite right as it was along time ago but Orin Edson (CEO of Baygrinder at the time) and Garden were tight. The story goes that Orin bought the island near Canoe Cove that Garden lived called Toad Hall. Orin, who is a generous guy, that Bill can live there until his old age couldn't allow it anymore. I think Bill designed a 65' power yacht for Orin through Bayliner. I think there were only 2 or three built. Typical Garden power boats as they were quite narrow and a little odd compared to the Bayliner tupperware of the day.

BTW - The 25 and the 22 were branded as Mull designs at that time. There was a 21' center boarder sports boat around '81 or '82 and it looked suspiciously a Martin 242. Design? I don't remember - they canned the production pretty quickly.

#103 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

Like this...."yak"

Is it just me or do the two masts have different amounts of rake?

#104 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:25 AM

Like this...."yak"

Having the aft mast raked more than the fore mast is quite common.

Posted Image

#105 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts
  • Interests:Learning to adjust to retirement...so far, so good.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:42 AM

Hmm... While I'm in no position to disagree with Bob Freakin Perry My boat is IOR specific and while I love her (and spend silly amounts of money with the sole purpose of embarrassing "pretty" boat owners), she's not everyone's cuppa joe.

Posted Image

There sure seems to be a lot of Tanzer 26 in that hull...

#106 busybeeolympia

busybeeolympia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:53 AM

Willard?

Attached Files

• Attached File  ugly.jpg   25.04K   76 downloads

#107 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Interests:Racing, cruising, bicycle riding and touring, hiking, xcountry skiing.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:54 AM

You'd have to look pretty hard to find any ugly IOR boats. Of course there were a few but in general that rule made for some pretty boats with highly interesting shapes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes, the Cal T/2 wasn't the prettiest design from Lapworth. But it's still Lapworth and there was a Cal T/2in Vancouver called "Bad News" and it won everything there was to win; for years. Swiftsure, Straits, VARC - everything. The boat and the owner were legendary. The owners son has worked for North Sails for eons and we've sailed together for probably 20 years. A lot of history.

Bob/Boomer,

The Buccaneer 335 and 295 came from Chaser Yachts in Ontario. I think the molds were shipped to the Bayliner factory in Marysville,
WA - probably '77. The Chaser 33 where almost identical but the 29/295 were different as they re-tooled the deck but same hull and I sailed a Chaser 29 on & off for years. The 335 had a modicum of success and I raced one for about a year and I sailed against "Poncho" from here at the '78 3/4 ton worlds on a 335.

Bob, I might not have this quite right as it was along time ago but Orin Edson (CEO of Baygrinder at the time) and Garden were tight. The story goes that Orin bought the island near Canoe Cove that Garden lived called Toad Hall. Orin, who is a generous guy, that Bill can live there until his old age couldn't allow it anymore. I think Bill designed a 65' power yacht for Orin through Bayliner. I think there were only 2 or three built. Typical Garden power boats as they were quite narrow and a little odd compared to the Bayliner tupperware of the day.

BTW - The 25 and the 22 were branded as Mull designs at that time. There was a 21' center boarder sports boat around '81 or '82 and it looked suspiciously a Martin 242. Design? I don't remember - they canned the production pretty quickly.

Max
I raced some on a Cal T/2 including one very windy Round The Sound Race. I was impressed with how solid the boat was and how well it handled windy, rough conditions. And the foredeck was nice to work on. Definatly did not seem like a real light air flyer.

I remember the Buc 335 named "Tyronne Shoelaces". Was that the one you raced on? I was told that it was a "factory" boat owned by the dealer or builder to show the product.

A friend of mine also owned a 335 and bought it used for cruising. A lot of boat for not too much money.

#108 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:10 AM

C&C Mega 30 ... it hurts the eyeballs

Posted Image

But it's practical

Posted Image

I can't say I'd want one. For a trailerable 30-footer from that era, it's relatively fast and I know of several that have won PHRF events.

Maybe with the right paint job...

FB- Doug

#109 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,233 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:12 AM

Like this...."yak"

Having the aft mast raked more than the fore mast is quite common.

Posted Image

Is there some reason for that practice?

#110 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Beer, and power tools.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:12 AM

I'm sure though that it does what it is supposed to do, and meets the design criteria.

I'm not so sure it does, sculp.

As I wrote here:
http://docksixchroni...rt-one-old.html

" My first impression was that it was the answer to a question nobody asked. Then I sorta- kinda reconsidered. Perhaps there is a place in the market for a modular pontoon boat with more amenities than the typical deck boat, without the windage and bulk of a pontoon- hulled houseboat. Hell, it has worked for VW with their Westfalia campers for over 5 decades, in a marketplace flooded with fifth wheel trailers and big-ass Winnebagos. I can see the benefits from a manufacturing and customization standpoint as well. One basic platform can be configured as a camper, or with a different module behind the pilothouse, a floating site office, bunkhouse, forward control barge, or mobile hunting camp with storage for an ATV or two.

Some details left me scratching my head, though. What is with all of the non-skid glued to the VERTICAL surfaces?
The raceway for the O/B controls is household ABS drain pipe, and the wiring conduit is, er, conduit. So? The whole boat has a very utilitarian feel to it. For what it does is this a problem?
The kettle grille, seen above, is less than a foot away from the non-removable canvas and vinyl wall of the accomodations pod. Besides being a fire hazard, having to barbecue through a window, over a countertop, might get old quick. OK, can't debate that one!

The pilothouse doesn't seem well thought out. The roof is retractable, which is great for making the space feel open and airy, but the really big windows are all fixed. A big greenhouse with no cross-flow ventilation. That's gonna get warm and stale, topless or not. Only if you are headed straight into the wind, otherwise the large open back will get the air through.
The helm is fully forward, putting all of the guests and crew aft of the helmsman. This means that the helmsman is not able to interact with guests easily, Say it is you and 4 kids, is this a bad thing??? :-) and more importantly, with the only access to the exterior of the boat at the aft end of the house, the helmsman can't dock singlehanded, and can't easily communicate with crew during docking.
The cabin is out of commission when closed. All of it. Including the head. And the galley. So, you either have to pop the top and fold out the pop-outs when you embark, or you and your guests pee over the side and eat what you can keep handy in the pilothouse until you get to your destination and open up the cabin. Yep. Same is true for the pop-up trailer behind the car.

Finally, there is no way to access the stern of the boat with the cabin opened up. Got engine trouble? Gotta close everything up, walk back, realize you need your tools inside the cabin, walk forward, open up the cabin, grab your tools, close up the cabin, walk back ... Maybe more importantly, it means that some of the most useful real estate on the boat is out of bounds. You can't hang propane bottles, store a generator or install a swim ladder/ platform because all of it is inaccessible."Yeah, I spent a lot of time poking around and writing about this design, more than i spent on the Hanse 445 on display, because the Footprint was an intriguing design. The Hanse, not so much.
I think it was Peter Egan who coined the phrase "UJM- Universal Japanese Motorcycle" a couple of decades abck to describe the ubiquitous CB 750/ Seca 650/GS 750/ KZ 750 plain wrapper white bread motorcycles of the 70s and early 80s. So many boats are like that, that when something off the reservation shows up, I hope it is an improvement. Sadly I'm not sure the Footprint is.

Replies in red. If I were a power boat type, living on a small-medium lake, with a house full of kids... this thing is designed to be an affordable, haul it behind your truck, get out on the water for the weekend vehicle. Sure there is room for improvement, but it meets the design brief.

#111 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,233 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:13 AM

Willard?

Looks like someone put sails on a submarine.

#112 Avocet

Avocet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Location:General vicinity of the West Coast of North America

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:17 AM

My ugly boat on one of her better days...

Attached Files

#113 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,390 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:16 AM

Tom:
Yes there is a reason to rake the mizzen more than the main. Or in this case the main to be raked more than the foremast. It's always done this way.
If you don't do that the two masts will apear to be converging ( think Parthenon). So if you rake the aft mast a wee bit more than the foremast they should look parallel. If you rake the aft mast too much more than the foremast it will look like that aft mast is raked too much as is evident in your illustration pic.

Ahhh the Mega 30. I once past a Mega 30 on Lake Union in a Baba 30. I kid you not. After a huge add campaign, 2 pages in some mags, the Mega 30 fell on it's face. Not one of C&C's finest efforts.

#114 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:50 AM

I raced some on a Cal T/2 including one very windy Round The Sound Race. I was impressed with how solid the boat was and how well it handled windy, rough con
I remember the Buc 335 named "Tyronne Shoelaces". Was that the one you raced on? I was told that it was a "factory" boat owned by the dealer or builder to show the product.

A friend of mine also owned a 335 and bought it used for cruising. A lot of boat for not too much money.

If only we could come up with a pic of Katrina Finkelsplat......the hunt for the homeliest boat would be over.

#115 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,105 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:17 AM

We had a sailor and a teacher from Bellingham who owned a Yankee 26 in Kingston with his brother. The teacher was more into sailing then his brother, and occasionally they'd take there mother for a sail. They bought Mega 30 and proceeded to learn the boat. One weekend they had a bunch of friends down and took her out in the afternoon when it was blowing pretty good. I was taking my Tbird out at the same time they were leaving.

We both hoisted sail and headed to weather on a Northerly. They had four or five guys on the rail and I was singlehanding the Bird. Like I said it was blowing pretty good and they were just barely holding their own and the Tbird was just a bit overpowered. So I quickly put a reef in the main and to my surprise, started pulling away from them. It didn't take to long before I had big lead, so they fell off a wee bit and I fell off as well, and just started walking on them. I was amazed but figured they just didn't know the boat. But on other occasions the same thing happened, the Tbird would just walk on the Mega 30.

Some time later the teacher asked if I would go out with him and see if he was adjusting his sails right. I remember adding tell tails to his main and jib later that day, but the wind died. So one morning we had a little breeze and I go out with him, but it was moderate conditions. We seen there was a bit more wind south of us and beat down to the wind. Well we got some decent wind and put her on all points of sail and he adjusted the sails for different points of sail as I directed.

After a while we sailed intowards Port Madison off of Jeff Head, then we heard a tremendously loud double concussion. Sounded like a bomb going off, like a BIG bomb, so we looked towards Bangor and the Olympics expecting to see a mushroom cloud or something from this huge explosion, over Bangor. NOTHING, couldn't see a damn thing. So we sailed around for a bit more and then headed home, and put his boat to bed. I told him I had a book for him in my truck, so he walked up with me. I opened the truck and started it, then reached across the seat, and handed him Wally Ross's Sail Power. Then I turned on the radio and to a news station, then we heard it, Mt. St. Helens had blown her top. Strange, I never saw him again, ran into his brother in town, said he took the boat to Bellingham.

#116 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,105 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:35 AM

I raced some on a Cal T/2 including one very windy Round The Sound Race. I was impressed with how solid the boat was and how well it handled windy, rough conditions. And the foredeck was nice to work on. Definitely did not seem like a real light air flyer.

CYC Edmonds used to list previous years FWB Race, you'll always see those two Cal T/2's usually at the top of their respective fleets.

When it's light or zepher conditions, they're usually the first across the line. Maybe they're just very good sailors who know their boats well.

The recent FWB race was another light air affair. The Perry 24 1/4 tonner Bingo is a light air machine, look at the elapsed times.

http://cycedmonds.or...uff Results.pdf

#117 baccara

baccara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:54 AM

Duuuuude, I had one of those----with the corner windows in it as well. One of the most funnest trucks I've ever owned. Lil' 170 six in her, three on a tree, noisier than a 727. Made a wooded camper shell for it (think T-111, redwood drip cap, ix4 rough sawn cedar, two Plexi windows). Drove the shit out her up and down Baja a few times. Last trip down there with her (with my hot little blond/blue sex dwarf surfr chick) threw her on the ferry in La Paz and floated her across to Vallarta. Surfed all over the place on the mainland for another couple of weeks, then drove her back home via Guaymas, Hermosillo and Nogales. Twas a trip most excellent----except for a couple of things. On the ferry ride my gal befriended two 'Earth People' in the bar. Stacey eventually invited them to to spend the night in our cabin---which I reluctantly agreed to, despite being hornier than hell. Any ways around midnite the gal starts undressing and getting ready for bed. I peak over and what do I see strapped to her stomach and back? About three pounds of pot and 'shrooms. Fuk I was pissed (even though I had two grams of coke stashed in my truck down in the hold). Anyways my paranoia was unfounded and we got to Vallarta without getting in trouble---and had an absolute blast.

Fast forward another week though---we're camping out in a little trailer park north of Mazatlan, having some beers, watching the sunset and getting ready to chop up a couple of big lines on the front seat----when lo & behold three Federales come flying into the park, kicking up rocks and dust an definitely on a hunt. They headed our way, and in a bit of panic I dropped the vial into the big round hole that was behind the missing sun visor, turned around, smiled and waved at them. They never acknowledged us and they went further south to another RV. I breathed a huge sigh of relief and at thr same time was really hoping that the hole in the door pillar was channeled off. Unfortunately (as I found out the next morning) the pillar was pretty much hollow....all the way to the floor pan. Jfc was I pissed. Like really pissed. A couple of days later at another park further north, i ended up borrowing a 3/8 drill, some bits and a cold chisel----where I commenced to tearing up a hole the size of Rhode Island before I could finally reach my 'medicine'. Gawd damn, what circle jerk that turned out to be.....,

The above post is a prime example of content that keeps me reading SA. Thank you, that post made me smile, while listening to Grateful Dead 'Morning Dew'...

#118 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,233 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

Tom:
Yes there is a reason to rake the mizzen more than the main. Or in this case the main to be raked more than the foremast. It's always done this way.
If you don't do that the two masts will apear to be converging ( think Parthenon). So if you rake the aft mast a wee bit more than the foremast they should look parallel. If you rake the aft mast too much more than the foremast it will look like that aft mast is raked too much as is evident in your illustration pic.

Thanks, Bob, that makes sense. What about on a boat with more than two masts?

#119 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,390 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

More than two masts?
I don't have a clew.
I don't have a clue.

#120 El Crapitano

El Crapitano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:sharp saw blades

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

More than two masts?
I don't have a clew.
I don't have a clue.

In general I am clueless too, but there is a picture of the USS Constitution outside my office. The aft and center masts are parallel. The center mast is raked back a bit relative to the forward mast.

Nice looking warship.

#121 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bob/Boomer,

Max
I raced some on a Cal T/2 including one very windy Round The Sound Race. I was impressed with how solid the boat was and how well it handled windy, rough conditions. And the foredeck was nice to work on. Definatly did not seem like a real light air flyer.

Not to take away from the sailors that had a lot of success with the Cal T/2's but I think they were PHRF "sleepers" that were the Chevy or F150's of boats. Not Lamborgini's at all but did everything pretty well; all the time. Like the Islander 30 (Spar Trek), Buchan 37 (Gamine), C&C 35 Mk 1 (Meltemi), Most of the CAL 40's etc, etc, etc. But then again that's what PHRF is for. Ma & Pa sailing their Vista Cruiser and not hi-tech boats or sport boats that aren't oranges & apples. And all I can do not to comment on the PHRF NW BBC site and I think Bob Pistay had it right: Putting street slicks or headers on your Vista Cruiser is stupid. How are you going to fix that?

But I digress.

I think poncho sailed on the 335 Tyronne at the worlds If I remember correctly. I was on a custom aluminum Mull. I think there was another blue one around too. And Tyronne was a dealer/factory program. I skippered another 335 (another dealer sponsored one) in Swiftsure in '81 I think. We were doing pretty well until Race Rocks on Sunday afternoon then our Superspar rig decided to try to pass us and our race over. Too bad really.

335's weren't bad boats for what they were but heavy helmed, rolly bitches in 25 knots.

And the Mega 30? Jeebuz - what was C&C thinking? Like a bad acid trip gone wrong and they decided to make a boat of it.

#122 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,390 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

I once saw a Mega 30 that had been converted to a power launch. No, I am not kidding. It looked quite good as a powerboat.

We have really high tides at the beach today. I am keeping my eye on my Dink. The logs it is sitting on are now floating. The tide is about 10" below the level of my lawn.

#123 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,105 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

A power launch...I suppose it's serving a purpose then.

Suppose I should go down and check the boats today....and the rain just started again....drats!

Think I'll look at airline tickets to Hawaii...go before Christmas or after...hmmm

The Mega 30 was about as bare bones spartan as you could get down below. In fact the minimalist look down below, made you want to escape to the topside. I went down below once during that sail to see how it felt. That lasted less then a couple minutes before I escaped topside, never to return below again. With the keel down sitting below, staring at the gun tackle for lowering the keel, didn't give a warm and cozy feeling either. I can't remember if the tackle was easily removable like the Hobie 33, but this owner kept his rigged and ready. I remember asking him why, I don't recall his answer.

Here's one for sale in Everett, looks fairly well maintained, but I couldn't imagine paying that much for one.

http://mega30.wordpress.com/

#124 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,105 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

Putting street slicks or headers on your Vista Cruiser is stupid. How are you going to fix that?

Ha!

How's the recovery going Max? Back to normal or almost?

#125 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

A friend of mine owned a Mega back in the day, before I came to town. He said someone published a tuning and setup guide that he followed, and he did OK with it, PHRF racing. But I don't think he owned if for long, and he doesn't remember it fondly.

#126 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

Putting street slicks or headers on your Vista Cruiser is stupid. How are you going to fix that?

Ha!

Thanks for asking Boomer! The recovery has been remarkable from where I was 15 months ago. I have great things to say about neuro-acupunture I'll tell you. I still get "stuck" a little verbalizing or with my writing but a lot better by the day. It's been long, slow process but getting there; at least not going backwards. I'm down to a session a month and I'm pretty much done by this Wednesday. I was going to post a note on the "I had a little scare" thread once I'm done so it might help others.

#127 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

Just because... :D

Attached Files

#128 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

I once saw a Mega 30 that had been converted to a power launch. No, I am not kidding. It looked quite good as a powerboat.

We have really high tides at the beach today. I am keeping my eye on my Dink. The logs it is sitting on are now floating. The tide is about 10" below the level of my lawn.

Our next door neighbor's yard flooded completely at high tide yesterday and today. (+12.2 high at 10:30am today). We are lucky to have a slight bit of an elevation advantage over the neighbor so we only get a slight flood once in a while.

I have been sick at home with a fever all week. Crappy weather to be sick

#129 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,390 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

Very glad to hear that Max.

#130 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

I think your house is sans crawl space isn't it? that's a good thing. Hate those crawlspaces full of water.

#131 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,105 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

Ha!

Thanks for asking Boomer! The recovery has been remarkable from where I was 15 months ago. I have great things to say about neuro-acupunture I'll tell you. I still get "stuck" a little verbalizing or with my writing but a lot better by the day. It's been long, slow process but getting there; at least not going backwards. I'm down to a session a month and I'm pretty much done by this Wednesday. I was going to post a note on the "I had a little scare" thread once I'm done so it might help others.

Good to hear it worked out for you and helped in your recovery. I think the fact that you stayed with it, shows you could feel and knew it was working for you.

We could see improvements with Linda's mom, but she gave up on it last spring. Now she's back to where she was, wish she would stayed with it, like you did.

I'm glad for you and your recovery! Take care and all the best!

#132 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,105 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:44 PM

I have been sick at home with a fever all week. Crappy weather to be sick

Hope your over it and on the road to recovery!

The shower was brief here late this morning, been sunny and windy since....hope the worst of this is over.

#133 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:39 AM

I think your house is sans crawl space isn't it? that's a good thing. Hate those crawlspaces full of water.

And yet another reason I like to keep work focused on commercial retail properties....'cept I seemed to have spent my time yesterday and today checking rooftops and clearing gutters and downspouts.

#134 Balder

Balder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, and currently trying to configure my career to sail more, may be able to pull it off.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:01 AM

I was just looking at that picture above, and thinking, "That hull, the bow esp, looks like a powerboat"

#135 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

That sucks kim. But being holed up and ill during crappy weather beats being holed up and ill during fine weather. ;)

hang in there!

#136 busybeeolympia

busybeeolympia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

Posted Image

But it's practical

Posted Image

I can't say I'd want one. For a trailerable 30-footer from that era, it's relatively fast and I know of several that have won PHRF events.

Maybe with the right paint job...

FB- Doug

One for sale in Everett Wa. It could be yours.

Attached Files

#137 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

... ...

One for sale in Everett Wa. It could be yours.

Yeah but I've already had one of these

Attached File  henry-Hunter19-2001-Deltaville01cmp.jpg   93.01K   38 downloads

so I think I've met my quota

FB- Doug

#138 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Interests:Racing, cruising, bicycle riding and touring, hiking, xcountry skiing.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

I actually like this boat. Humbolt Bay 30. Pretty fast boat when we had some racing here. But it does have a similar appearance to the Mega 30.
Attached File  Humbolt Bay 30.jpg   47.8K   47 downloads

#139 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,105 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

Humbolt 30 is a good boat, with a decent turn of speed....came out of Gary Mull's office.

Jim Donovon did the majority of the work on the design, under Gary's eye, when he was an associate in Gary's office.

Look at the SA/D ratio....and the displ/LWL ratio http://sailboatdata....p?class_id=1103

Attached Files

• Attached File  x17.jpg   119.93K   70 downloads
  • Attached File  x18.gif   14.63K   66 downloads

#140 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

Attached File  henry-Hunter19-2001-Deltaville01cmp.jpg   93.01K   38 downloads

So many boats are pushed in the direction of ugly because the hull/deck joint is below the shear like this. I suppose it makes for a cheaper joint, maybe it helps with the molding process, but it really screams "cheap boat."

It doesn't absolutely, positively have to be ugly. Catalina does it. Have you noticed? But they have worked out a way to hide the joint behind a rub rail so it's pretty innocuous looks-wise.

Attached File  piccatalina25206a.jpg   23.6K   49 downloads

#141 two cold dogs

two cold dogs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

I've had people say my boat is really cool looking and also just plain nasty, I kind of like it.

Attached Files

#142 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

Very glad to hear that Max.

Thanks Bob, I appreciate it. It's not perfect but it's been a long difficult road.

#143 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,390 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

Max:
You are still talking to us and that is a very good thing.

Depster;
Wrong.
I don't think Jim Donovan. I know Peter Dunsford. I'd know Peter's drafting anywhere and the Humbolt is all about Peter's drafting.

#144 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,105 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:14 AM

Peter Dunsford worked in Mull's office at the same time, so if that looks like Peter's work, then that's entirely possible.

Jim Donovan however claims it was one of his projects when he worked for Gary, and said he's responsible for the lines of the boat and had a hand in the keel, rudder, rig, and other details. He could have very well been working in conjunction with Peter at the time.

Peter lives back up here in the NW again doesn't he, and didn't he work for Benford for a while?

http://forums.sailin...showtopic=16839

http://forums.sailin...?showtopic=2297

I know a bit about the Humbolt 30.

It was one of my projects while working at Gary's office. Gary tended to let the guys in his office have a lot of responsibility for some designs (while constantly looking over your shoulder).

I drew the lines, sorted out the rig, rudder, keel, deck layout, interior, etc.

It's a fairly roomy performance 30 footer - light displacement (not ultra-light) - very large rig for light air performance. They only built a few - really a victim of the economics of yacht building in the US. Higher labor costs in the US made it very dificult for US builders to compete. The hull molds were beautifully built by the same guys who worked on many of the production tooling for Santa Cruz builders.

I just saw the Honolulu based H30 the other day - looks better than I remembered.

Jim Donovan

#145 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:05 AM

Think he's talking about the H-30 that sank earlier this year?

#146 Ozsailer

Ozsailer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

Ive always had a morbid facination with Chieftans. No idea who the designer is

Posted Image

Hello all,
as the owner of a Cheiftain 38 I can say that I love them to death. It was my widesigned by fe who talked me into buying our boat in Pittwater, New South Wales, Australia. Its a 1982 model which we have been upgrading as time and money permits. The boats were built by Cook Brothers (not to be confused with Cooksons). Quite a few were built with many going to the charter industry due to there layout and functionality. They are almost idiot proof, hence why I own one. They are no slouch and on our delivery trip to Lake Macquarie we maintained 8 knots and topped at 8.9 in 25 knots in a Sou Easterly with us on a broad reach. Its an Alan Wright Design. I would love to know what your morbid fasincation relates to. We have been out in some nasty stuff and while I doubted our ability the boat never caused us any angst. Inside the boat you can see that this boat was designed or fitted out by a person who had been at sea. There are hand holds everywhere. A great sea galley and storage everywhere.

Greg and Sue
Lake Macquarie
NSW Lande Down Under

#147 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,233 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

Wish II:

Posted Image

From Bolger's comments in 30 Odd Boats:

Finally, she's plain ugly. Jessie Cooper (next chapter) is ugly but with strong character. This one is nondescript-ugly. I offer a couple of schemes for dazzle-camouflage.

#148 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,105 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

Think he's talking about the H-30 that sank earlier this year?

You mean the Sonoma 30 which was a Carl Schumacher design.

http://sailboatdata....sp?class_id=703

http://sonoma30.org/

http://express27.org...s/?t=557&m=1269

http://forums.sailin...howtopic=138599

http://forums.sailin...howtopic=138206

#149 dolphinmaster

dolphinmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

I'd watch the sail-boaters walk by and shake their head, if she wasn't around.

I thought I had taken a picture of the one here, but I can't find it. This pic is off the web.

The book calls it the Buccaneer 300 and on the web it's called the 305. Same boat, I'm pretty sure.

Must have inspired the Mac26 stern. Cut a notch out behind that "helmsman" and voila, room for a big Evinrude :)

#150 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,390 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

Boomer:
Thanks for the clarification on the H-30. I spent quite a bit of time in Gary's office about the time that boat was designed. I'd stop by whenever I was in the Bay area. Not sure I ever met Donovan. but Peter was always there. I think he's back up here. He was the last time I talked to him but that has to be about 5 years ago. He keeps a very low profile. He did quite a bit of work for Benford. Poor guy.

#151 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,105 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

I remember Benford crediting Peter on a few designs way back when, which kinda surprised me.

Edit: http://www.yellowpag...design-15525377

#152 Schnick

Schnick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

A bit surprised my favourite little ugly boat hasn't shown up yet.

Posted Image

#153 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

Posted Image

Lifelines on a Shark? Eeeek!

I will admit to putting a pulpit on my first one, but left the second as George drew her.

#154 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

Ha!

Good to hear it worked out for you and helped in your recovery. I think the fact that you stayed with it, shows you could feel and knew it was working for you.

We could see improvements with Linda's mom, but she gave up on it last spring. Now she's back to where she was, wish she would stayed with it, like you did.

I'm glad for you and your recovery! Take care and all the best!

Thanks Boomer,

It hasn't been all sunshine & lolipops but getting there. My physicians (which are very good) ready put me in permanent disability category so there is hope for anyone. My Dr. hadn't seen me for 3 months said "wow". Your kidding right? My point is that Linda's mom shouldn't give up at all - it takes time that' all. And the right treatment that is. Like I said I'll post something when my last treatment is done next week.

Now going to our scheduled programming:

I hate anything that says north sea pilothouse. That's ugly. Truant 33, Fisher even Hans Christian had a sea north pilothouse. built like a bomb shelter but pretty fugly. I'll try to send some photos when I'm different browser

And there a little cross pollenating from the center cockpit thread I'm sure but there's the Seabird 37. I'm sure it's comfy enough in a nuclear event but holy smokes try to do much but motor. I sailed on one and tacking was not tacking so much as "waring ship"!

There was a pilothouse version that we used to say you roll down the windows reef!

Like many power boats that are great when you are looking "out" the windows. But that again things like Bunters are made to be tied to the dock with the A/C at full bore. They give good boat show but I think that they were aiming at. How many people do you see at floating boat shows just clamber on then straight into the interior? They don't even look at the boat itself. Sad really.

#155 SpongeDeckSquareFoil

SpongeDeckSquareFoil

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:52 AM

Posted Image

Aw shit. That exact boat was recently in my marina. If the photographer turned 170 degrees left my boat could have been photographed for this thread.
Dodged that bullet .

#156 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:39 AM

Posted ImageUnbelievable
This one went in the water today at our marina. Now I know what it is.

#157 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

The Shark should be disqualified from the this thread. It may be a touch plain, but certainly not ugly.

#158 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

I love the Shark...I don't see an ugly square inch on them.

#159 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,390 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

The Shark is not pretty but it sure is not ugly.

#160 Diarmuid

Diarmuid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

The Shark does have somewhat the beetled brow of a river dolphin:

Posted Image

It holds a key spot in the transition to modern designs, tho. People have written it was something of a revelation to sailors brought up on tubby catboats or small full-keelers.

#161 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,390 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

Who designed the Shark? I know but I forget. That's like not knowing.

#162 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

Bob

I got this...pretty good pedigree.

The 24 foot Shark was designed by George Hinterhoeller in 1959, and it was still in production until the late 1980s. Over the years it was built by a variety of manufacturers, although C&C made many of the Sharks in the early 1970s. (Hinterhoeller was one of the C&C founders.) Many Canadians got their first keel boat experience on a Shark, and a few people have even sailed this small boat across oceans. The boat continues to be supported by an active class association, and one of the reasons for the Shark's continued popularity is that it allows people to become involved in serious one-design racing for a fraction of the cost of many other classes. The Shark is a light boat, and it can actually get to plane with the right wind and wave conditions. Although the Shark has a lot going for it, it is still an older design which has a fairly narrow beam. As a result, the interior of the Shark isn't much larger than the average 20 footer

#163 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,390 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

Thanks Gate. I knew that. Now I know it again.

#164 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,105 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

Canadian Film board film about Mike Birch and Bob Lush

http://www.nfb.ca/film/singlehanders/

#165 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

The Sharks that were built at the Hinterhoeller yard were the best IMHO, the later ones out of the C&C shop were generally a little overweight. The last boats produced at The Shark Shop were good but pricey.
I think Cooper built some in Vancouver, but they were seriously off the pace and the quality was not up to the Ontario boats. I saw one west coast Shark where the forestay had pulled the deck clear off the hull, leaving a gap of about 6" at the bow. That boat also had raw fir bulkheads, it was for sale as a project boat. No kidding.
Both my Sharks were Hinterhoeller boats, maybe not a lot of room but decent performance cheap. I did Desolation Sound several times in a Shark, you can get some nice spots when you only draw 3'2".
I rented the film from the NFB years ago when I actually owned a 16mm projector, it was interesting watching Bob Lush getting thrown around the boat in the middle of the Atlantic. He wore a hockey helmet for most of the trip.

#166 Diarmuid

Diarmuid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

He wore a hockey helmet for most of the trip.

Yeah ... but he's Canadian. He wore a hockey helmet at his wedding. *ducks*

#167 Timo42's sockpuppet

Timo42's sockpuppet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

I have always thought that this looked a bit unfortunate in the cabintop, but you can't see that from the tiller. :) It's a lot bigger inside than other 22'ers that I have seen, not considering crossing the Atlantic innit though.

Attached Files

#168 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

Tanzer 22. It has been mentioned before that these are ugly boats. So here was mine from 1975 to 1977. I sailed it to a lot of places and won a lot of races with it. They were actually built pretty stout.

Attached File  Rascal Too0001.jpg   358.15K   42 downloads

#169 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,390 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:48 AM

Great white:
I've always thought the Tanzers were odd looking but I wouldn;t consider them uglu, not in the true down deep to the bone ugly.

#170 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,105 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:08 AM

I have always thought that this looked a bit unfortunate in the cabintop, but you can't see that from the tiller. :) It's a lot bigger inside than other 22'ers that I have seen, not considering crossing the Atlantic innit though.

Doesn't look to bad in profile....that the 222?

#171 Diarmuid

Diarmuid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:09 AM

Not one of my favorite brand's best efforts: the Albin 25:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Rather more popular in its motorboat configuration. As a sailboat, the manufacturer suggested wearing ship in windy conditions, cuz you aren't tacking that bow thru the wind. Still, you get a pilothouse and a center cockpit, all in 25ft.;)

#172 Timo42's sockpuppet

Timo42's sockpuppet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:40 AM

Doesn't look to bad in profile....that the 222?

Yes, don't know if it qualifies as fugly in this company, but it's always looked a little "off" to me. But it sails well for it's size and weight, I haven't broken it yet and I have been out when I shouldn't. :wacko:

#173 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,233 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Rather more popular in its motorboat configuration. As a sailboat, the manufacturer suggested wearing ship in windy conditions, cuz you aren't tacking that bow thru the wind. Still, you get a pilothouse and a center cockpit, all in 25ft. ;)

Nothing like a mast to screw up a perfectly good powerboat.

#174 zedboy

zedboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

Posted Image

'Nuff said.

I think everything McGruer drew was an uglyboat.

We'll let Jonesy follow up on that tho.

#175 dolphinmaster

dolphinmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Rather more popular in its motorboat configuration. As a sailboat, the manufacturer suggested wearing ship in windy conditions, cuz you aren't tacking that bow thru the wind. Still, you get a pilothouse and a center cockpit, all in 25ft. ;)

Nothing like a mast to screw up a perfectly good powerboat.

Yessir, that's one ugly boat, to the bone. Makes me feel weird walking the dock past one.

#176 friginindariggin

friginindariggin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

I saw someone trying to sail this once.......it didn't look any better wet.

Posted Image

#177 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,233 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:50 PM

Posted Image

Wow. I can find something to like about any boat.

Or I thought I could, until now.

#178 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:12 AM

I know I have posted this before, but I think it has special meaning in this context.

Posted Image

#179 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

Posted Image

Nice hull shape

And that mast is pretty straight

FB- Doug

#180 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:23 AM

Posted Image

Nice hull shape

FB- Doug

If you sawed off the deck and threw away the rig it might make a good fishing boat.

#181 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,233 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:33 AM

Good points, both of you. It is a decent slow motorboat looking hull, if you just ignore everything above the hull to deck joint.

#182 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:35 AM

Posted Image

Nice hull shape

FB- Doug

If you sawed off the deck and threw away the rig it might make a good fishing boat.

Then what would you do with the deck? Make a playhouse for blind kids?

The mast looks genuinely OK... I'd like to have something like that for our yard... the POA says you can't put up a radio antennae BUT you can put up a sailboat-y mast.

FB- Doug

#183 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:38 AM

Posted Image

Nice hull shape

FB- Doug

Then what would you do with the deck? Make a playhouse for blind kids?

The mast looks genuinely OK... I'd like to have something like that for our yard... the POA says you can't put up a radio antennae BUT you can put up a sailboat-y mast.

FB- Doug

It's a flagpole. Don't they allow flagpoles? What are they, anti-patriot? :)

#184 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:12 AM

... ... ...

FB- Doug

It's a flagpole. Don't they allow flagpoles? What are they, anti-patriot? :)

Yeah sure

but a VHF whip and an ugly stick antennae are going to look rather strange on a flag pole. RIght at home on a sailboat mast!

We have plenty of flag poles in the neighborhood but nobody fires a cannon for evening colors. Wimps!

FB- Doug

#185 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,971 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

I know I have posted this before, but I think it has special meaning in this context.

Posted Image

Love that pic Ish. I always wonder what he is actually doing out there? It seems a lot of effort to just "hang out"

#186 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,449 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

Posted Image

Love that pic Ish. I always wonder what he is actually doing out there? It seems a lot of effort to just "hang out"

Water world?

#187 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,105 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

Posted Image

What is he doing? or does anyone know?

#188 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

It is the only way he can still stay aboard yet be completely oblivious to the appearance of his vessel.

#189 Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit

Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

there was an ugly boat thread on here years ago (before you had to register) that had a great collection of winners.

#190 El Crapitano

El Crapitano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:sharp saw blades

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

Posted Image

What is he doing? or does anyone know?

#2 maybe

#191 chester

chester

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

He wore a hockey helmet for most of the trip.

Yeah ... but he's Canadian. He wore a hockey helmet at his wedding. *ducks*

Good one :P

#192 chester

chester

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

Tanzer 22. It has been mentioned before that these are ugly boats. So here was mine from 1975 to 1977. I sailed it to a lot of places and won a lot of races with it. They were actually built pretty stout.

There are still lots of 22s on our prairie resevoir. one guy launched on year with an amazing shiny hull...someone said he had it regelcoated :o :o . is that even possible?

#193 greeng

greeng

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Blacksmithing, Beer, Boats.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

There are still lots of 22s on our prairie resevoir. one guy launched on year with an amazing shiny hull...someone said he had it regelcoated :o :o . is that even possible?

On the other end of the spectrum there's a lady -living- in hers about 20 feet down the dock from my boat. No shore power, no water - etc, etc. Seems happy though....

#194 Slick470

Slick470

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

I have a hard time calling these ugly, but I'm a bit biased given how much fun I had with one when I was a kid.

#195 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,390 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

There are new standards for ugly being set every day. Ugly has no bounds.

Back in the day I thought the Cal 40 was ugly. Today it seems like a beauty to me.

#196 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

Posted Image

'Nuff said.

I think everything McGruer drew was an uglyboat.

We'll let Jonesy follow up on that tho.

His Grampian 34-2 was not unattractive, because he finally had a design LOA that fit all of the accomodation proportionately. If you are determined to design 6' headroom, a private head, at least four 76" berths and a 6' cockpit into a hull under 26' in length, the boat is definitely gonna fall into the "stubby and tubby" category.

I understand the value of a forward canted windshield on a pilothouse. I understand the hull shape.
But understanding don't make it beautiful. It does make it purposeful. Gentlemen, I present the shipbuilder that is ugly by design, Fisher Yachts:

Posted Image

It is even uglier when the number of hulls increases by 100%:

Posted Image

But gentlemen, as I mentioned ealier in this thread, I posit that an uglyboat is one which every unconventional detail exists as a fucntion of the form, the design brief, or to some purpose. Fugly is ugly for no reason, and somtimes, Fisher crossed the line from ugly to fugly, an example is the Fisher Potter 25:
Posted Image

#197 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

I like the Fishers. Maybe it's because I live where there are a lot of boats with forward raked wheelhouse windows and because I have designed fishing boats with them. They are purposeful and if done nicely look good too. They add abit of tension to the design. Yeah, that's it.

That Fisher 25 looks like a fun boat to cruise around the sound in.

A Delta seiner model:
Attached File  58 model.jpg   221.32K   43 downloads

Link to renderings of a nice sailboat designed with forward raked windows. Courtesy of Sons.

http://www.sail2live...tive/index.html

That catamaran is definitely fugly though.

#198 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,233 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

You can spray gelcoat just like paint. Well, it may need a little assist. I got to watch and mix the foul smelling stuff.

Posted Image

#199 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,390 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:09 AM

That Fisher looks good. It's a stupid boat but it looks good. A 28' pilot house yawl? Makes perfect sense to me. PHRF 592. It's a boat for a midget. I'd have to assume the fetal position to even try to lay down in the cockpit.
I'd have to move my beer with each tack. Perfect boat for a wanker. "Let's see, I'm not going anywhere so how will I go there? Jib and jigger? Aye, that's the combination." I'l be safe and snug with a 30 square foot mizzen and a 75 square foot jib." "Or maybe I'll squeeze a tube of vaseline all over myself and press fit me into that cute pilot house where the forward raked windshield will protect me from the sun's rays as I sit here not going anywhere."

Truly silly boat but not ugly at all. There vwas one at Shilshole. I never, ever saw it out.

#200 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:49 AM

A Delta seiner model:

Posted Image

A wave piercing tit. A tit on a boat is perfect for this place.

Why is the tit not faired into the bow?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users