#1 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,479 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:44 AM

what do those that know, know ?

I've sailed the Open(good wet fun) , and kinda like the looks of the new S27, so could someone that's sailed both clue me in on any insights you have ? Thanks.

Man, there are a lot of great boats out there these days, aren't there ?

#2 jkdubs808

jkdubs808

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts
  • Interests:Sportboats and offshore supply vessels......and bow girls.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

Thinkin about gettin another toy?

#3 Andraz Seascape18

Andraz Seascape18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

You have some articles here including the one with comparison test between the boats (in French only I'm affraid)... https://dl.dropbox.c...872/Reports.zip

#4 oddsailor

oddsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:getting on a plane

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

anyone hear if the Seascape 18 and or 27 make it to NA anytime?

#5 Icebear

Icebear

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

Any plans to export the Seascape 18 to USA? It would seem to fit an empty niche: fast little sportboat with camping space and shoal draft.

#6 Andraz Seascape18

Andraz Seascape18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

First 27 coming to New Orleans end of the season 2013, for 18s we are still looking for the right dealer.

#7 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,704 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

The 18 is sort of a replacement for the tired old Daysailors - the swing keel being very attractive to the lake sailors or thin water types - the new current design and rigging obviously making it faster more fun to sail - obviously looks way better!

The lack of boats like the seascape 18 in the US for sure leaves a big hole in the market here in the US.

#8 Overserved

Overserved

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, snow skiing and fishing

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

The Seascape 18 is not your grandma's Flying Scot

#9 kmcfast

kmcfast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:50 AM

What type of mylar and glue is on the Seascape 18 centerboard slot gasket?

#10 Andraz Seascape18

Andraz Seascape18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

Slotstrip + sika

#11 Outboard

Outboard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:58 PM

Shaw 550 (http://www.shawyacht...om/SYDmenu.html) and Speedfeet 18 (http://www.speedfeet...accueil_en.html) other options.

Shaw should come in at around 350kg displacement (600 on website includes crew) so about 100kg lighter than the production boats...just not off the shelf!

#12 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,704 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:47 AM

Speed feet looks like another great family boat. Nice stuff! Now we just need Catalina yachts to build something that wasn't drawn back in 1971. LOL

#13 DennisY

DennisY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:Small high performance mono's and tri's. Red heads.

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

Bump

Love to see either the SS18 or Speedfeet 18 make it here to NA. 

#14 juswannagofast

juswannagofast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:i550 SportBoat & VELOCITY 7.1 Sailing. Building. Finish carpenter by trade cabinet maker. Built boats in the past.

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:53 AM

But now this is coming to market in production. It could fill the void that is spoke of.

Attached Files

#15 steveromagnino

steveromagnino

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

Shaw 550 (http://www.shawyacht...om/SYDmenu.html) and Speedfeet 18 (http://www.speedfeet...accueil_en.html) other options.

Shaw should come in at around 350kg displacement (600 on website includes crew) so about 100kg lighter than the production boats...just not off the shelf!

Well, mine is nearly on the shelf, this is how she looked a month or so ago...the rig arrives mid Feb, it's a single spreader masthead kite C-Tech carbon rig. I'm expecting it should go pretty well (like all of Rob's designs). Cabin to take the cat out sailing, lots to like.

Attached Files

#16 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts
  • Interests:sailing, sex and success...not necessarily in order

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

Nice boat SteveO.

Whats the build specs?

#17 DennisY

DennisY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

Is the Shaw 550 a production boat or DIY only? It really is a sweet looking design.

#18 MisterMoon

MisterMoon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

The thing that attracts me to the Seascape 18 over the others is that it has a fully retractable swing keel and a small cabin enough for sleeping out of the rain for beach cruising and camping. Of all the boats mentioned, it seems to be the best compromise for racing, camp cruising, and day sailing. THe others seem to be more racer than anything. 

#19 DennisY

DennisY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

Good point MM, the Speedfeet 18 is not much different and is regularly sailed by young families, and some not so young, in France and is a perfect boat for 'raid' sailing as it is beachable, has basic amenities and can be 'camp cruised' quite nicely with a boom tent for shelter.  A pity there were not similar boats with equal performance capability available in the US.

#20 steveromagnino

steveromagnino

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:32 AM

Is the Shaw 550 a production boat or DIY only? It really is a sweet looking design.

Currently, its a DIY only but there is the potential to do a small one off production and delivery also building in strip plank cedar.

#21 MisterMoon

MisterMoon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

Good point MM, the Speedfeet 18 is not much different and is regularly sailed by young families, and some not so young, in France and is a perfect boat for 'raid' sailing as it is beachable, has basic amenities and can be 'camp cruised' quite nicely with a boom tent for shelter.  A pity there were not similar boats with equal performance capability available in the US.

I've only ever seen one i550 in person, and that was Meade Gougeon's Hot Canary. I liked the boat a lot, but I wonder about the accomodations compared to the Seascape 18. I'm pretty sure I'll see that boat again in a few weeks at the Everglades Challenge and I intend to look harder at the interior spaces if I have the time.  

Meade had made some changes to make his boat more beachable than the standard, but I think the SS is a simpler and more elegant solution. Meade's boat eliminated the bulb on the keel in favor of a ballast casting that could be retracted all the way into the hull. I doubt it's class legal, but it would be what I would prefer. It will be interesting to see how the production boats turn out and if they will be able to be a beach cruiser and raid boat like the SS18 or whether they will be more oriented towards buoy racing instead. 

#22 DennisY

DennisY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

I would put my money on the latter, MM. The small Euro boats are typically dual purpose while American boats are purpose built. In the 25' or so range they are almost universally around the buoys racers like the j70 with no provision for realistic overnighting.

#23 MisterMoon

MisterMoon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

You are probably right Dennis. I'm afraid the i550 they are going to build may technically have the ability to overnight, but it will probably be something like the accommodations on the Holder 20 which were brutal. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users