• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 dan905

dan905

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

Does anybody know how to move a Melges 24 keel ring one hole forward? Mine is on the last hole and not aligned with the lift points.

#2 Pelle

Pelle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

Why do you want to move it? It is in the correct position for lifting the keel.

#3 dan905

dan905

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

I will be lifting the keel and the boat using the crane. Thus I need the ring and the lift points of the hull to be aligned. Am I missing something?

#4 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

I guess you are doing something wrong.

Do you lift the keel with this winch?
Posted Image

#5 dan905

dan905

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:58 PM

No. I normally won't use the keel crane. Just the lift straps and the keel ring. They all get hooked to the crane that lifts the boat.

#6 airacer

airacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Wakeboarding, Motorcycling, Snowboarding, Snowmobiling

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

We lift the boat without the keel crane all the time. Just hook everything together at the ring on top of the keel. No problems.

#7 dan905

dan905

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

Thanks airacer. But where is the ring positioned on your keel? Mine is on the rear-most hole...

#8 airacer

airacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Wakeboarding, Motorcycling, Snowboarding, Snowmobiling

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

The lifting ring is in the rear-most hole. just walked out and looked at the boat to confirm. If you haven't gotten them yet consider investing in the keel protectors and keep them in place while traveling and lifting the boat.

#9 dan905

dan905

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

Ok, thanks! One less thing to deal with!

#10 Pelle

Pelle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

Are you really lifting the boat in the keel ring? It is nowhere strong enough to do that safely. It will not break directly but the safetyfactor is slim. On a second thought peoplr are maybe connecting the lifting strap to the ring?

#11 dan905

dan905

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

The lift straps are connected to the lift points. Then the straps and the ring are being lifted by the crane. The straps must be the right length to match the height of the extracted keel. Thus you don't have the weight of the keel on your lift points when you lift the boat.

#12 Pelle

Pelle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

OK that makes sense :)

#13 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

The lift straps are connected to the lift points. Then the straps and the ring are being lifted by the crane. The straps must be the right length to match the height of the extracted keel. Thus you don't have the weight of the keel on your lift points when you lift the boat.

What are you guys using for straps?

#14 dan905

dan905

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

What are you guys using for straps?

The old straps are too long and worn-out. The new ones will be made of the car towing strap, like this one:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/Towing/TieDownsTowing/PRD~0402671P/15-ft.+Tow+Strap.jsp?locale=en

#15 rodnichols69

rodnichols69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

Are you saying that you have lifted the boat using the keel ring?

The keel ring and the pad eyes in the keel box are used independent of one another. The pad eyes in the keel box are used to lift the boat. The keel ring is for lifting the keel, but only with the keel crane.

Never connect the lifting straps to the keel ring. If you need to lift the keel use the keel crane. This eliminates the posibility of damaging the foil.

Do not move the keel lifting eye. If the eye is moved the keel will be lifted at an angle in the keel box, guaranteed to damage the foil.

If you are lifting the entire boat only use the pad eyes in the keel box and let the boat support the keel.

If for some reason you need to keep the keel up while lifting the boat, use the keel crane to support the keel and the lifting straps shackeld to the pad eyes in the keel box to hoist the boat. Note: you will need 6' straps to lift the boat this way.

Keel crane supporting the keel and boat being hoisted
Posted Image

#16 Savage 17

Savage 17

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

Your lift straps should be long enough to go to the keel ring to lift the boat with the keel up. It all depends on how you want the lift the boat. I have lifted the boat with the keel down and locked in before leaving the trailer or lifted the boat with the keel all the way up.

#17 arr4ws

arr4ws

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

Have fun!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Melges 24

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users