11 replies to this topic

#1 Matagi

Matagi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

Hi,
I thought I was good at spotting designs / brands, but this one really gives me a hard time.
Do you know it or know what it is?
Looks like something scandinavian to me, following some Reimers ideas, but I have no idea what model, design, yard it is.
Have you got any idea? Any suggestion welcome!
Jan

Posted Image

#2 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,424 posts
  • Interests:Postponing my funeral 'til tomorrow....

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

A Newport?....

#3 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,080 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

Not a Newport. Pretty boat.
My guess would be maybe a Scandinavian build of an S&S design from the mid 70's.

I hope that guy knows where he is going!
That next tack will be a short one.

#4 Matagi

Matagi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

I found her! Googled the photographer, and there, in the backyard of his website, she was: It's pretty recent and a >>drums<< Ron Holland M-46
M-Yachts seems to be a very small swedish yard, I've never heard of them before.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Nice body. Hope it's ok to post her here.
You can find more pics at m-yachts.se
Bob, ironically I found her in article advertising a website from the Swedish CoastGuard or sth, where you can report unknown shoals / stones that aren't in your chart.
Wonder how they expect you to find out about them, though...
Well, mystery solved.

#5 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,080 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

Mat:
Nice looking boat. Very pretty profile.

S&S design from the 70's? What do you expect? I'm all screwed up with my cleansing diet. I can't think straight.
I think I'll go to the grocery store, " I'll be in the Bologna section" and see if any hot housewives notice how clean I am.

#6 Diarmuid

Diarmuid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

And that, sir, is why I love Scandinavian boats.:) Utterly gorgeous, and they do basic bathymetry with their keels. And survive.

Holland did quite a bit of design work for Nautor/Swan, where he probably was asked to hew to that brand's S&S style cues. He also did the attractive Omega 34, some Nicholsons (which are bombproof but I find them not so pretty), and some Ericsons -- maybe closer to production-boat build, but strong Nordic lines to them.

It must be hard to sell that low freeboard and wedge-shaped coach these days, when the few people buying new (at least in the USA) are mostly concerned with volume and motoring performance. Boats like this one appeal to my eye, but they are 'small for their size' by contemporary measures.

#7 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,080 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

Derm:
That boat looks a lot like a big brother to your new boat.

#8 Matagi

Matagi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

And that, sir, is why I love Scandinavian boats. :) Utterly gorgeous, and they do basic bathymetry with their keels. And survive.

Holland did quite a bit of design work for Nautor/Swan, where he probably was asked to hew to that brand's S&S style cues. He also did the attractive Omega 34, some Nicholsons (which are bombproof but I find them not so pretty), and some Ericsons -- maybe closer to production-boat build, but strong Nordic lines to them.

It must be hard to sell that low freeboard and wedge-shaped coach these days, when the few people buying new (at least in the USA) are mostly concerned with volume and motoring performance. Boats like this one appeal to my eye, but they are 'small for their size' by contemporary measures.

PERFECTLY RIGHT, the Omegas! This M-46 seems to be closely related to the Omega 46, some details have improved in my eye, but look it up and say what you think.
I once chartered an Omega 36 with my father in Denmark. We topped 14 knots once with one reef and furled Genoa.
Thats one 198x design, weighing 5tons, sporting 62 sqm. Compare that to -I don't know- the latest Dufour 36: 70 sqm, but at 6.4 tons.
The weight is even comparable to the latest FinnFlyer 36, which is built with a good portion of carbon in it...
I'd chose an Omega anytime over a new production boat.
btw: They still do one Holland design, the Omega 10m: http://www.10meter.se/
Bob, I'm curious what you might say, I think she looks a bit like Amatis little sister?

#9 Brodie

Brodie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

Wow... well now at least I know what boat I want when I win the lottery/marry some rich guy.

#10 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

Mat:
Nice looking boat. Very pretty profile.

S&S design from the 70's? What do you expect? I'm all screwed up with my cleansing diet. I can't think straight.
I think I'll go to the grocery store, " I'll be in the Bologna section" and see if any hot housewives notice how clean I am.

Balogna again.

#11 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,299 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:31 AM

#12 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,080 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:47 AM

Actually the line is "I was in the balogna section" and it comes from a song by Johnny Guitar Watson called IT THAT A BITCH.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users