Iphone Ipad PHRF real time scoring apps?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tool

Tool

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

Hi,

I've been looking at different scoring apps, and wondered if anyone has found a solution to this...Or even if a solution exists?

I'm trying to get our club into the 21st century with scoring and although the old DOS program we use still works, its not user friendly and no one wants to do it.
We have 3 Divisions of boats but now only have two starts. PHRF boats and J24's. We like to still score TOT overall corrected as if all boats went off at once.

I was looking at PHRF Race Control which has some of the features I'm looking for but it only scores for one race and it doesn't store your fleets information making it necessary to input all the competitors and ratings in prior to each start. What is really cool about the app is that you can just tap a boat's name and it will finish them and show corrected position. Once each boat is finished you can email or text all the scores and the boats can see on their iphone or any phone for that matter and text them the results before they hit the dock. Problem is that it does this for only one division/one start, it also seems to erase all the boats that are entered when you start a new race. https://itunes.apple...d446172109?mt=8

Then i looked into iYachtTime and I can't seem to figure out how to set it up.https://itunes.apple...app/id512319438 Not sure if it will do what I want it to.

I found this app:
http://apping.me/ios...ta control.html

but I can't find it in the apple app store so I'm not sure if it's still available, and not sure if it does handicaps.

So, has anyone found an app that will do what I'm looking for that can be run on an ipad or similar tablet? PHRF race control would be perfect if it had more functions.

Thanks,
Tool

#2 OulaMan

OulaMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

Try using something that runs windows and use a version of SailWave

#3 Tool

Tool

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

I'll do that, which should be an improvement. I was just hoping that there was an application out there that could be used on a tablet, or iPad.

#4 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

What's it rate?

#5 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,623 posts
  • Interests:walks on the beach,a good book,a good cry

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

wait...IIRC, I head that Sailwave will be doing something real soon with wifi/ ipad stuff, which would be freakin great for our YC. We currently use Sailwave for all scoring...

or you can pay Yachtscoring to do it for you....

#6 MidPack

MidPack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

It wouldn't be hard at all to write our own using Excel or Numbers, and the $10 Numbers app for iPad/iPhone will read either format. Most clubs have been/are using spreadsheets for scoring already, just take it on the water - again for $10. I stared to develop a spreadsheet for real time scoring, but it's too hard to read an iPad in bright sun so I scrapped the idea. Just a thought...

#7 robalex117

robalex117

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:43 AM

yachtscoring.com

#8 Varan

Varan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:42 AM

We have been using Sailwave with ToT scoring at our clubs for 10 or more years now. Easy to customize, define fleets, A/B factors, etc. But what I really like about it is the published output is simple HTML. You can define your own style sheets, but with a bit of Javascript it is rather trivial to reformat the output however you like, removing links or any other information you do not care about. We have a small "publish" script that FTPs the Sailwave output in XML format directly to our website. It would be easy to also ship the results off to mobile devices.

There very well could be better programs out there today, I don't know, haven't looked. The solution we have is so easy and it has worked well for so long. We haven't changed a thing in years and it still works, so why look elsewhere. Afterall, all we are talking about is applying some simple arithmetic to elapsed times and letting competitors know whether or not they won.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users