Happy with the performance?

#2 EaglesDare

EaglesDare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

would be interested in any feedback too. perhaps try posting in the J Boat forum?

#3 jarcher

jarcher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:39 AM

Oh come on, just get Nexus and be done with it ;-)

#4 jolly

jolly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:22 AM

What package are you using?

NXR with a Race Box, 4 XL20 mast displays, and two Multi's.

Very happy with the base system, but still trying to get "the Box" going, but we only launched 6 days ago, and for day 1 we concentrated on sails and sail settings, and getting round the corners in a race......and then I had to go back to work.....so early days yet!!!

More feed-back in a few weeks when we will have used the RB in a start sequence and for another set of races.

#5 jarcher

jarcher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:04 AM

Okay, I have a few more minutes to kill now. I have a Nexus system, FDX server, two NX2 multi instruments, an NX2 Compass Data instrument, an NX2 Wind Data instrument and currently just one NX2 Multi XL to be mast mounted. I want to add a second NX2 Multi XL. I also have an RP4N. For transducers, I have an HPC (fluxgate compass that also senses roll and pitch), wired wind transducer, depth sounder, log transducer (red paddle wheel). Hm, I think I am forgetting a transducer somewhere.

I also have an nGPS that's not currently installed because I am using a 10 Hz GPS receiver with my RP4N. This is important for timing a starting line.

I also have a pair of Nexus buttons, one on each side of the cockpit.

Yes, I am very happy with it. Performance is very good. I have more than enough information displayed. If anything, I have too much information. Its a valuable skill to avoid getting lost in the numbers and keep your eyes on your surroundings.

Jolly mentioned that he has NXR, I mentioned that I have NX2. I personally prefer NX2. The Multi XL displays present two lines of data at the same time, a big one and a smaller one. On a J/111 I would think the mast is close enough to the cockpit to see both lines when the display is mast mounted. The NXR units come in bigger sizes (for bigger numbers) and alternate what they display. You can control what they display and for how long. For example, you could configure one to to display boat speed for 3 seconds then target boat speed for 1 second. There is a line of text above the number to label the number. NXR is more expensive than NX2.

I also mentioned that my log transducer is the red paddle wheel model. There is an ultrasonic device. Its very expensive, like $1,100, and the upside is that you can probably leave it installed when you're at the slip. There is a larger paddle wheel device, I think its blue, that is less accurate than the red. Its advantage is that there is a flap so when you take it out, the water does not come gushing in like a fountain. The red paddle wheel is the most accurate of the three, but no flap and you'll want to take it out when the boat is not in use.

The HPC is also very important. Yes you need a compass, but more important, the HPC measures roll. The roll values are used to correct wind velocity reading, which are severely impacted by our heel. If you can't correct for heel, you mite as well not bother measuring wind velocity.

Nexus has a ton of features, and rather than go over them all here I'll just refer you to www.nexusmarine.se. As with all instrument systems, the key is proper calibration. Some aspects of calibration are debated, like adjusting our wind sheer, but basic calibration is critical. Like with any computer system, garbage in means garbage out. Small errors in calibration result in large computation errors.

Good luck!

#6 Jim Z

Jim Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

Sorry in advance for any redundancy; however a similar discussion has been going on over at the J-111 Goes Sailing thread.I provided comments on our (Hull #17) B&G set up and BLUR (Hull #69) provided his thoughts on Nexus...following are his comments to add to Jolly and Jarcher's. Great overview of his J-111 set up via the link he provided.
Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:15 AM
We've been running Nexus on our last three boats and are super happy with that. B&G have had limited support in our area, so that (along with x2 cost) pretty much sets the agenda. Also we're doing most of our calculations in Expedition, so sensors are more important than a fancy processor. Our Nexus setup: http://www.blur.se/2...ur³-instrument/

On the J/111 we wanted a real autopilot, and choose NKE Gyropilot. As our boat was built in France it was easy to get it installed, but then had some issues with initial setup as well att NMEA integration. After we got that sorted it worked beautifully. We're getting wind data over NMEA fron the Nexus system. Naturally it's a pain to get support from France, but we didn't have many options.

From a quality standpoint I wouldn't hesitate to go with a full NKE setup. Together with Nexus (Garmin) and Tacktick (Raymarine) I think it's great value for money. B&G is still the choice of most grand prix projects, but is more expensive and demands more time from your navigator.

I would choose system based on local support, both designing the system but also calibrating and getting the most out of it.
ipb.global.registerReputation( 'rep_post_3961069', { domLikeStripId: 'like_post_3961069', app: 'forums', type: 'pid', typeid: '3961069' }, parseInt('') );

J/111 SWE-69 "Blur" | www.blur.se | www.happyyachting.com | @petergustafsson

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users