• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 peter.polgar

peter.polgar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:29 AM

I am looking to invest in a new pair of Salopettes. I currently race Lightnings, Coach Sailing, and do the occasional long distance race. Nothing Ocean, or extreme offshore. Just curious to see everyones opinions of the Slam Force 3 Series vs. the Henri Lloyd TP2 Salopettes... Go.

#2 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:06 AM

Hi Peter,

I am going to suggest a different brand that I am sure will also fit extremely well and is a long lasting garment, ideal for your application: Atlantis Aegis Hybrid Bib.

Posted Image

I am sure you will be very satisfied with it as they are very light, yet robust and protective.

Feel free to drop me a note if you have any questions about sizing , pricing, etc.

Best,

Rod

#3 SkpperEarly

SkpperEarly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:any kind of boating

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

Hi Peter,

I am going to suggest a different brand that I am sure will also fit extremely well and is a long lasting garment, ideal for your application: Atlantis Aegis Hybrid Bib.

Posted Image

I am sure you will be very satisfied with it as they are very light, yet robust and protective.

Feel free to drop me a note if you have any questions about sizing , pricing, etc.

Best,

Rod

Peter was looking for a salopettes not long-john ! Do Aegais make also Salopettes?

#4 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

Not really, this are high cut bibs and is what Atlantis has available. It is another option that will work on what Peter is describing.

#5 Mauri Pro

Mauri Pro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

Hi Peter,

One of the main differences between the Slam Force Series and the Henri Lloyd TP2 is how protected your back is going to be. Since you race Lightnings I think you will be better off with the Force 3 but there is a price difference between them. To be fair, the TP2 is closer to the Force 2 than the Force 3. Here is a list of features for all 3:

Slam Force 3 Long John
Price: $240

Posted Image

• Reinforced nylon patches on seat and knees
• Adjustable waist and ankle closures
• Reflective tape on waist, pocket and leg bottom
• Water-resistant pocket on right leg
• Chest pocket
• 2 Layer Nylon Tussor - 100% Nylon

Slam Force 2 Long John
Price: $165
Posted Image

• Reinforced nylon canvas seat and knee patches.
• Adjustable waist and ankle closures.
• Reflective points on the waist, pocket and pant leg bottom.
• Water-resistant pocket on the right leg.

Henri Lloyd TP2 Castal Hi-Fits
Special Price: $125

Posted Image

• Zipped hand warmer pockets with rentex mesh lining
• Elasticated Shoulder straps
• Non corrosive center front zip
• Internal Gusset
• Hook and loop external ankle adjusters
• Fast draining, quick access leg pocket
• Bat wing waist adjustment
• 600D Nylon reinforcement
• Diverted critical reinforcement seams to reduce wear
• Logo embossed taffeta lining with a DWR finish to speed up drying time
• Articulated for ease of movement
• Contoured to reduce windage.
• Fabric: Henri Lloyd TP2.

One more thing! Take advantage of our Black Friday / Cyber Monday Offer, take an Extra 5% + Free Shipping. Redeem Coupon HOLIDAY2012

Happy Thanks Giving!!!

Juan Mauri

#6 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

I am looking to invest in a new pair of Salopettes. I currently race Lightnings, Coach Sailing, and do the occasional long distance race. Nothing Ocean, or extreme offshore. Just curious to see everyones opinions of the Slam Force 3 Series vs. the Henri Lloyd TP2 Salopettes... Go.

There is a reason why Atlantis when ahead and replaced their salopettes with high chest bib types:

"Ever since Atlantis first wore a "salopette", Atlantis 've been fans of the extra comfort and protection that it provides vs. a standard chest-high bib pant. Problem with a salopette is that the length is the length, and if it doesn't fit you, there's nothing you can do about it. Problem solved." This is why we suggest you a bib with high protection on the back.

The video is very self explanatory: Atlantis Aegis Hybrid Bib

Regards,

Rod

#7 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,765 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

There is a reason why Atlantis when ahead and replaced their salopettes with high chest bib types:

"Ever since Atlantis first wore a "salopette", Atlantis 've been fans of the extra comfort and protection that it provides vs. a standard chest-high bib pant. Problem with a salopette is that the length is the length, and if it doesn't fit you, there's nothing you can do about it. Problem solved." This is why we suggest you a bib with high protection on the back.

The video is very self explanatory: Atlantis Aegis Hybrid Bib

Regards,
Rod

I've worn these - they are not bad.

I own a Musto Salopette, and prefer it, but the Atlantis is better than a lot of bibs out there.

it seems like the Atlantis might be cut a bit slimmer than other bibs, which are often too baggy for me.

#8 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

Vela and Mauri: Any opinions on breathability? so many of brands lower priced bibs/salopettes/farmer johns sweat like a plastic bag (and even some of the expensive products e.g. SLAM ATS - my smock not only sweats but after 2 years is no longer waterproof :( ).
What do you think is the best brand and model for breathability.
One thing that bugs me about most of them including their high priced offerings: too few pockets, either no hand warmer pockets or hand warmer pockets at angles that are impractical to use, pockets that are too small or not deep enough for anything but a multitool, thigh pockets with no drainage, nowhere to house/hsng/clip a small VHF (which is becoming more actively used by RC's in small boat OD racing) and little or no reflective tape.

I would gladly pay $50 to $100 more for more functional features

#9 Morgan Crew

Morgan Crew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Skiing, SCUBA diving, sailing, vintage cars and motorcycles

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

Seems that the Atlantis website has the Aegis Hybrid Salopettes on Cyber Monday Sale - Save $103.

https://www.atlantisweathergear.com/mens-aegis-hybrid-bib/

Were $295, now $192. Looks to be available in all sizes and in either Flag Blue or Glacier Gray

■ Waterproof Rating: 20,000 MM
■ Breathability Rating: 10,000 g/sq. m/24 hours

Might get some for myself. Jacket and smock do not appear to be on sale.

#10 Mauri Pro

Mauri Pro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Vela and Mauri: Any opinions on breathability? so many of brands lower priced bibs/salopettes/farmer johns sweat like a plastic bag (and even some of the expensive products e.g. SLAM ATS - my smock not only sweats but after 2 years is no longer waterproof :( ).
One thing that bugs me about most of them including their high priced offerings: too few pockets, either no hand warmer pockets or hand warmer pockets at angles that are impractical to use, pockets that are too small or not deep enough for anything but a multitool, thigh pockets with no drainage, nowhere to house/hsng/clip a small VHF (which is becoming more actively used by RC's in small boat OD racing) and little or no reflective tape.

Hi WHL,

Lets point out first that we carry almost all major brands (not just a few of them) therefore we have access to almost all trousers and can see and go over what features make a difference when it comes to Breathability.

a) High level of breathable features usually comes with a price tag associated.

b) Features tend to reduce breathability. Which means, the more pockets you put into the trouser, the more layers of cloth your skin have to breath to affecting the ability of the garment "to breath"

With that in mind, and not taking price into account the following will be our options:

a) Gill KB1 Keelboat Racer
Price $299

b) Gill IN11 Trouser (Coastal)
Price: $149

c) Henri Lloyd TP2 Hi-Fit
Price: $125 (On Sale!)

d) SLAM Force 3 Long John
Price: $240

Remember to take advantage of all our Offers this Cyber Monday!

Juan Mauri

#11 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

WHL,

Understand your concerns and these are fair points. Most of the major brands have achieved similar levels of manufacturing allowing for a fairly even breathability comparison among them. After that it all comes down to how many layers (aka how heavy duty) the garment is made of.

To answer your questions:

A sailing garment is considered good when:

• It's breathability does not compromise its waterproofness (keep in mind that the way a bib, salopettes, smock or jacket stays breathable is on the way the membranes have been laid and the "reverse porosity" of the outer layer is resistant enough to allow air and sweat to get out and avoids water to come in. Think of it as a funnel with the narrow end pointing outside).

• It is light.

• Is chafing/abrasion resistant (Deck non skid, hardware, lines, etc.)

• Has the zippers, pockets, straps etc on the right position and only where they are really needed.

In the case of the suggestion we made, Atlantis Aegis has a very strong fabric and cordura reinforcements where really needed. A couple of chest pockets and a side tool pocket. Roomy enough to allow the boots to be wore inside (big advantage over some others). This is a very agile yet protective bib. We have had very good feedback.

In regards to the reflective tapes, most of the trousers don't have them as it is assumed that you may be wearing an offshore oriented jacket which has them. This criteria also applies to the warm pockets, because if it is cold, then you will be wearing the jacket and, therefore, the pockets should be built into it rather than the trousers/bibs
Lastly, one of the advantages of Atlantis is that they make a very breathable fabric and still keep it affordable.

I guarantee you will like them. In case you don't ...you can always send them back! B)

Feel free to drop me an email or give me a call if you have any other questions.

Rod

#12 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

Thanks Mauri and Vela for the replies.

#13 Ross

Ross

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:39 AM

I usually race in my Henri TP2 Sal's, love em! But I was out coaching today in my Henri TP1 trousers, and it sucked with the rain and all. I've been fed up with that for awhile, so I busted over to WM and picked up a pair of Slam Force 1's for $109! I will say I'm quite impressed!I prefer sal's, and I wish these were a little longer, being a medium and the larges are too big for not wearing boots all the time coaching, but I love em. I can't rationalize spending tons of money to trash on gear coaching, so these work well. I wish they had a friggin pocket. but I carry a back pack, and then theres a lifejacket.. But yea, something to think about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users