VX One is Self Righting

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 tedrules

tedrules

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Is there anything besides sailing?

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

Single handed and in a big swell out at sea, she pops straight up when the kite halyard is blown.

#2 postpast

postpast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Old Cars, Old Heavy Equipment, Sailing, Fixing Sail Boats,

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

I think the VX is well on It's way towards awesome class growth. Personally I think that the VX, Viper, i550, J/70 and other sportboats are similar enough that you could create some great racing.

#3 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

Single handed and in a big swell out at sea, she pops straight up when the kite halyard is blown.
https://www.youtube....h?v=0lo-VyQs0fM

that's right, then hurry up pulling the kite back onboard and go again, here is almost one of those:

The race committee was not a happy camper (mast too close) :lol:

#4 Vernon Green

Vernon Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:26 AM

Man i need to get on one of these again!

#5 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Interests:Viper 640 #18

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:36 AM

I love two-up sportboat sailing!

#6 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:38 AM

Man i need to get on one of these again!

I love two-up sportboat sailing!

The boat is rigged and 20 ft. from the water. Anytime. :)

#7 (p)Irate

(p)Irate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

Who browses SA on a desktop anymore? Update the video so I can watch it on my phone.

#8 tedrules

tedrules

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

You can watch this and other videos on your phone if you go to www.vxoneaustralia.com
The option for me to make it viewable on phones directly on youtube is locked.

#9 Large Thomas

Large Thomas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts
  • Interests:Naval Architecture
    Boatbuilding
    Minitransat / Transat 650
    IMOCA (Open) 60
    Class40
    Photography
    Rock Climbing

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

Sorry, but "self-rightening" would rather mean it rights from when inversed at 180°

#10 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

Will any boat do that, without a bit of help to get the process started?

Sorry, but "self-rightening" would rather mean it rights from when inversed at 180°

#11 BradH

BradH

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

From ISAF OFFSHORE SPECIAL REGULATIONS:

3.04 Stability - Monohulls Mo0,1,2,3,4
3.04.1 Either with, or without, reasonable intervention from the crew a yacht shall be capable of self-righting from an inverted position. Self-righting shall be achievable whether or not the rig is intact.

So now the question becomes, what is "reasonable intervention from the crew?"

#12 Large Thomas

Large Thomas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts
  • Interests:Naval Architecture
    Boatbuilding
    Minitransat / Transat 650
    IMOCA (Open) 60
    Class40
    Photography
    Rock Climbing

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

Nope. Some actually are more stable inversed than in normal swimming conditions. Worst case, of course, is a cat or tri :P

#13 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

So by your definition, no boat would be self-righting.

Nope. Some actually are more stable inversed than in normal swimming conditions. Worst case, of course, is a cat or tri :P

#14 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts
  • Interests:sailing, sex and success...not necessarily in order

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

Santa Cruz 27 is Definitely self-righting. I've um, er, had some experience with this one :-D

Viper/VX/Open 60, etc. style boats are not as they have big asses and are really quite content staying upside down. The Open 60's will self-right once you get the canter extremed.

#15 EYESAILOR

EYESAILOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:Myth busting.
    Bordeaux.
    Block Island Race Week

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

These kind of statements always make me wonder. Why do they even find it neccesary to say it?

Tedrules 11/22/12 "The VX One is self Righting"

Dick Fuldman 9/10/08 "Lehman is solvent"

#16 Barnboat

Barnboat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:15 AM

These kind of statements always make me wonder. Why do they even find it neccesary to say it?

Tedrules 11/22/12 "The VX One is self Righting"

Dick Fuldman 9/10/08 "Lehman is solvent"

Seem to be a little defensive about self-righting ever since the VX turtled in the Sailing World test.

#17 Broomstick

Broomstick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:02 AM

I think the VX is well on It's way towards awesome class growth. Personally I think that the VX, Viper, i550, J/70 and other sportboats are similar enough that you could create some great racing.

Throw a Shaw 650 in the mix also B)

#18 teener

teener

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:05 AM

From ISAF OFFSHORE SPECIAL REGULATIONS:

3.04 Stability - Monohulls Mo0,1,2,3,4
3.04.1 Either with, or without, reasonable intervention from the crew a yacht shall be capable of self-righting from an inverted position. Self-righting shall be achievable whether or not the rig is intact.

So now the question becomes, what is "reasonable intervention from the crew?"

Hmmm... Looks like a Halberg Rassey 40 isn't self righting.
http://setsail.com/evaluating-stability-and-capsize-risks-for-yachts/

However, with reasonable intervention from the crew, a Laser is self righting.

Don't think this discussion has revealed anything we don't already know. In 30 through the gate, An express 27 is less spicy than VX, but the VX is going to forgive more than an i14.

#19 Citizen Kang

Citizen Kang

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Earth women. Earth Politics. Sailing the gelatonous ooze fields of Klaatu. Exchanging long protein strings with my sister. Rectal probing of captured alien beings (especially cows).

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

Love the VX, but wouldn't claim it to be self-righting. Witnessed a VX turtle in 25 kts and the crew could not get it back up. Needed an RC boat to tie a line around the keel and pull it back upright.

End Communication.

#20 BradH

BradH

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

Turtled the VX twice and got it up, unassisted, both times with two crew. What we do is crew 1 stands on the deck lip facing the wind and grabs the bulb. Crew 2 straddles crew 1's feet, grabs his waist, leans back, and holds on.

#21 tedrules

tedrules

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

I have righted my VX from an inverted position without out side assistance. One person holds onto the bulb and another holds onto them while standing on the lip of the gunwale. With the rig coming up into the wind the leeway the boat is making helps in the righting process. The weight on the bulb helps keep her up when righted.
Up to around 18 or 20 knots a VX is unlikely to go upside down. I have laid mine over with the kite up, singlehanded in 25 knots and some judicious hiking as witnessed at the beginning of the video prevented inversion.

#22 tedrules

tedrules

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

Righted unassisted in 40 knots as above

#23 Dwoody24

Dwoody24

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:18 AM

The only reason the crew needed RC assistance that day was because one of the crew had fractured a couple of ribs in the crash. Definitely can't do it with one person at 180lbs. We did however finish the race. :-)

#24 EYESAILOR

EYESAILOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:Myth busting.
    Bordeaux.
    Block Island Race Week

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:26 AM

The only reason the crew needed RC assistance that day was because one of the crew had fractured a couple of ribs in the crash. Definitely can't do it with one person at 180lbs. We did however finish the race. :-)

Ouch!

#25 GIBY

GIBY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

Hi VX people. I was on the website the other day trying to find some information on the grandprix version (Traps/Masthead kite/no bulb). Is that version still being explored?

#26 tedrules

tedrules

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

The standard mast has the slots in it ready to go for the traps and masthead kite. I'm sure Brian could make a fin with no bulb pretty easily

#27 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:11 AM

Think you simply unbolt the lead off the keel you have and insert a plug.

Oh yes, there will be full on fun at some point

#28 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

Ultra is something of an expert when it comes to taking the bulbs off of keels.

#29 hoofhearted

hoofhearted

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

Love the VX, great boat to sail.

I have heard a couple of rumors that some folks are considering not sailing with the bulb at all in the stock set up, as it would probably perform even better as a dingy without the drag/weight. Cool boat, stock set up, bulbless set up, skiff set up, extensions on the hull to make it fit some keelboat standards in some regions. Something for everyone.

#30 Icebear

Icebear

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

extensions on the hull to make it fit some keelboat standards in some regions.

Hull extensions?????

#31 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

That's not true at all Craig. There's zero talk of turbo stuff except for just farting around or terrorizing the local centerboard fleets. Certainly is not going to happen in the gulf coast where there is so much activity... Vx ones springing up all around you huh.

Hell yes it will perform better, wouldn't any boat? I have a centerboard for my viper- did wurstfest with it plus traps. Day 1 was over 20, and it was sick. The affect that big ass bulb has on feel and speed can't be quantified. Of course we would have been in big trouble had things gone pear shaped.

Understand the viper was a hell of a lot off fun with the old small bulb per Brian's original design.

Love the VX, great boat to sail.

I have heard a couple of rumors that some folks are considering not sailing with the bulb at all in the stock set up, as it would probably perform even better as a dingy without the drag/weight. Cool boat, stock set up, bulbless set up, skiff set up, extensions on the hull to make it fit some keelboat standards in some regions. Something for everyone.

#32 hoofhearted

hoofhearted

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

Settle down there Ultra. My comments were not an attack at all on the VX, actually quite the opposite, a very positve comment. I think that it is a cool idea to be able to interchange a boat to fit various needs. Is that not what the original design was about? The hull extension solution for down south is way cool. So I am guessing that the skiff rig with no buldb, traps, and a bigger kite is out the window? Damn, to bad, was curious to see that in action.

No, not many VX springing up around here really. There are two dealer/agents in my region, and both are doing an incredible job promoting the boat, and in my region two or three have sold. Then again, 2 J/70's are my region now too. One new Viper sold, with another on the fence..... Lots of talk of people wanting other people to get a VX one. Quite honestly the wife and I want one as well, and pretty sure that we will get one, just not this year, but definatly our next boat. Not getting rid of the Viper though, and not getting rid of Hobie 33 either.

Again, the VX is a real fun boat to sail. It brought me back to my old Laser days, and was a lot like the Nacra 20. I myself would prefer to sail it with out the bulb and blast around the dingy course and push it around some beach cats as my knees hurt to much to get on the wire anymore, hence selling the Nacra 20 :(

IceBear: http://www.facebook.com/vxone/photos_stream#!/photo.php?fbid=434933579908535&set=pb.157136427688253.-2207520000.1361748491&type=3&theater
Pretty cool solution.

#33 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:50 AM

I believe the intent of the turbo mods are to give knuckleheads like myself a chance to go out and push from time to time. There Is also an intent to have a high level, high performance circuit in addition to the standard one design racing. Those are two things that made me want to buy one. The fact that is stupid fast for a ballasted mono is a bonus. I like sailing fast. I like sailing 2 up with my wife or 13 year old. It's easy to do on this boat. At about 330 combined we won a very big air regatta in ft worth last fall.

Do we compete on total feet owned or is it strictly number of boats. Cause if all you have is a h33 and viper, I have you by two 1970 something lasers right now.

Settle down there Ultra. My comments were not an attack at all on the VX, actually quite the opposite, a very positve comment. I think that it is a cool idea to be able to interchange a boat to fit various needs. Is that not what the original design was about? The hull extension solution for down south is way cool. So I am guessing that the skiff rig with no buldb, traps, and a bigger kite is out the window? Damn, to bad, was curious to see that in action.

No, not many VX springing up around here really. There are two dealer/agents in my region, and both are doing an incredible job promoting the boat, and in my region two or three have sold. Then again, 2 J/70's are my region now too. One new Viper sold, with another on the fence..... Lots of talk of people wanting other people to get a VX one. Quite honestly the wife and I want one as well, and pretty sure that we will get one, just not this year, but definatly our next boat. Not getting rid of the Viper though, and not getting rid of Hobie 33 either.

Again, the VX is a real fun boat to sail. It brought me back to my old Laser days, and was a lot like the Nacra 20. I myself would prefer to sail it with out the bulb and blast around the dingy course and push it around some beach cats as my knees hurt to much to get on the wire anymore, hence selling the Nacra 20 :(/>

IceBear: http://www.facebook.com/vxone/photos_stream#!/photo.php?fbid=434933579908535&set=pb.157136427688253.-2207520000.1361748491&type=3&theater
Pretty cool solution.

#34 jh26

jh26

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

So I am guessing that the skiff rig with no buldb, traps, and a bigger kite is out the window?

Definitely still in the cards - all the necessary bits are engineered in every boat sold. Only waiting for someone like Ultra or the guys in Australia to "Just do it".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users