5 replies to this topic

#1 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

It has been 33 years since I was there, how heavy is it in the prevailing conditions? 6' NE swell with light NW winds, I saw photo of it closed out during Sandy, did not look that heavy. If an operator charged it in a long heavily laden flat rcokered power cat I guess he could drive it under, from one witness' description bows went down rather than another statement that boat was pooped by "rogue wave". Could have been both, sunk by free surface effect.

#2 joey g

joey g

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

There were some darn big waves. They were 5-7 off the beach so probably a little but bigger in the inlet. I don't know what tide was doing at the time, but if it was opposing the wind it just makes things nastier. This is my home inlet and over the past few years I have learned to be very careful in the inlet and never think that the approach is the same 2 days in a row. The conditions weren't helped at all by a large amount of sand that sandy placed in the inlet. It is probably 3-5 shallower after the storm came through.

My respects to the victims and their families.

Joe

#3 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,200 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:08 AM

http://abcnews.go.co...98#.ULAdi4Uspo4

In case anyone wonders about the actual subject of this thread.

#4 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:08 AM

http://www.southflor...l-princess.html

bowrider, would be uncomfortable taking a full load in and out of a tricky pass in that, would not take much for that to go wrong in a running sea or breaking swell.

#5 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,283 posts
  • Interests:Postponing my funeral 'til tomorrow....

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

http://abcnews.go.co...98#.ULAdi4Uspo4

In case anyone wonders about the actual subject of this thread.

Thanx Tom----and this is why Snags will never win a Pulitzer....

#6 maxman

maxman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:27 AM

I went into this inlet 9 days ago in 15kt NE breeze with a slight ebb. First time going in there. I driving a 65' Marlow Explorer ( I know this is sailing anarchy!). I was surprised at how big the waves were in the channel and how shallow it was. Only nine feet in some spots. It was almost low tide. I was expecting at least 12ft of depth. It was more that the waves were breaking in the channel than the size. I have been through some nasty cuts in Tahiti in 15'+ surf breaking on each side with 4kts of ebb. It was not breaking in the channel though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users