#1 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

J/27 Racers…

The Oakville J/27 Fleet would like to invite you, your boat and crews to the 2nd Annual J/27 Lake Ontario One-Design…or LOOD (sounds “lewd”) Regatta. For those of you who haven’t experienced J/27 racing at its best; One Design, this is probably one of the only opportunities left to do so. For those who didn’t make it this past year (and those who did)…here’s a taste courtesy of #99 Messing About of what we’re talking about.

The 10 boats that attended in 2012 (including Whitefeather from Boston) have all committed to returning in 2013. Since then we’ve added an additional boat to the local Oakville fleet & have a commitment to attend from another of the Lake Ontario Fleet boats that couldn’t pull a crew together this year. At this time we can pretty much guarantee 12 boats on the line with a very strong interest already from one or two boats from the US South & Midwest . Our target is to get 15 boats come August 2013. Even if you can’t bring your own boat…consider attending as a crew on another boat or pulling together a boat of regional owners.

For 2013 there seems to be no reason to revisit last year’s decision to piggy back off the OYS Annual/Open Weekend Regatta given the timing, location & cost worked for the majority. Early Registration fees last year were $50/$75 for last minute and we expect those to remain the same. The regatta will be the first or second weekend in August.

T Shirts were a big hit and we will be doing them again this coming year. The “Class” will front the money and the shirts will be $15 each payable in cash (we accept USD at par) at the regatta or prior via PayPal. Please let me know the quantity and sizes you and your crew want so this year everyone will leave with a shirt that fits.

The Class will also be arranging for a “Trophy” again this year which will be something other than your standard “pickle dish”. The actually award is a surprise, something we hope will be unique and in keeping with the spirit of the new generation fleet. You’ll have to attend to find out what that is.

In order to make it more “worth the time & investment” to attend for those boats that would be trailering a long distance we are considering extending the regatta to 3 Days. The intent is for the club to contribute the additional day of RC or potentially have a small charge to cover the cost. If you could complete the SURVEY regarding these changes we will co-ordinate based on whatever will get the most boats to the starting line. Trailer Storage, Launch, Haulout & Bottom Washing will be complimentary as was the case this past year. Space for camping is available and, depending upon the attendance, we will also be approaching a local hotel for preferred rates/package for the weekend.

So hopefully that’s enough to spark your interest and start your planning. If there is anything I can do to assist, please don’t hesitate to e-Mail me directly. I will also continue to provide updates via the Chat Group and a thread on the SA J-Boats Forum.

Andrew (aka Hunter S)
J/27 CAN-59 “Curved Air”

#2 SpeedSquare

SpeedSquare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Firefighting, J27's, Skiing

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

Ok, it is rally early. Willy-T has been on the Hard for a month and half now, and still 5 more to go, but I am planning on attending, and I think "the Other Guy" is planning on it as well. What about you Nutty? At least come up and crew.

As for anyone else with a J/27 and is thinking about it, just do it. Last summers event was awsome, helped by 25+kt winds, but the venue, organization and racing was an incredible experience. I think anyone who trailered their boat in, found it very easy to lift in at OYS

J/27 - #84

#3 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

Oh Yeh..Regarding Lifting...we have a 4,000lb Crane not a Travelift...

So if you're planning on attending and don't have one...put a Lifting Eye on your Christmas Wish List

#4 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

(Off) Season’s Greeting…

Just a few noteworthy items to share with the group since my last message:

Someone brought to my attention that the survey questions were phrased/geared towards increasing the appeal to distant boats; which was exactly the intent. We had 7 owners respond and when I collate that number against the number of personal e-Mails conversation I subsequently had, we now have an expressed interest and potential to put 19 boats on the line next summer (20 if the plans we have in motion to get Hull #8 bought and in Oakville this spring come to fruition)

Further, of the 7 responses the majority (i.e. 4) indicated they would be more inclined to attend if the regatta was 3 days and the local owners didn’t require much convincing to take a day off work to go sailing so we will be proceeding with plans for a 3 Day Regatta.

The OYS has confirmed the dates for next year’s regatta to be Saturday/Sunday 10 & 11 August 2013 and the intent is to also have racing on Friday 9 August for the J/27s. The majority also indicated they would be prepared to pay an additional $25 for the extra day and, if it comes to that, we can call that “Class Dues” payable on registration although I’m pretty confident we will be able to get the club to donate the RC. I will be approaching the Race Director/Executive within the next couple of weeks regarding our requirements.

Some other helpful comments/suggestions were:
· Itinerary of daily events and orientation documents (maps, services, etc.)
· Welcome To OYS Rum Party
· Cheerleaders! Seriously though, it'd be good to have a photographer on the course...

Although you’ll have to provide your own cheerleaders…we’ll definitely work on the rest. As always, drop me an e-Mail is there is anything I can do to assist/help you get your boat here next August.

Andrew (aka Hunter S)
J/27 CAN-59 “Curved Air”

#5 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

Happy New Year Sailing Season...

Since the last update we’ve had a couple more responses to the survey further supporting the change to a 3 day format at an additional $25 for the extra day. Amongst the responses was one “new” owner who is now considering attending….the “scratch sheet” now stands at 20 boats. A couple pieces of information worth passing along based on some email exchanges I’ve had with a number of you about bringing your boats into Canada for the regatta:

Obviously you should have some form of identification/passport and license/registration for the car/boat/trailer to prove who you are and ownership at the border. Pretty much everything else you need to know can be found at the Canada Border Services Visitors to Canada webpage. That’s the official story; in practice Canada is a pretty liberal, polite and trusting place and Whitefeather’s experience last year was they were only asked where they were going & why (after all, it would be impolite to ask too many questions J). I’ve crossed the border a number of times with mine and other people’s boats and have always had the same experience; no big deal.

It is also a normal requirement in this part of Lake Ontario that all competitors carry $2M of Third Party Liability insurance (my policy refers to it as Protection & Indemnity) as a condition of racing. I understand that is not the case in the US and something we recommend you speak with your insurance broker/agent about. As an FYI…I have never been checked or asked to prove I have such insurance at any regatta I’ve ever competed in.

Which brings me to the question of One-Design? We are assuming (other than fairing) hulls, foils and rigs will be as supplied by J-Boats. We will not be measuring or weighing boats, crews or sails. We expect everyone will be carrying a Main, a couple Symmetrical Spinnakers, #1 (150~155%) and #3 (100~105%). Nothing excludes you from using a #2 if you have one and generally speaking we race with our motors stowed down below/over the keel, have removed our stoves & heads but otherwise have our interiors intact with coolers and cushions onboard. Double lifelines/High Tech Backstays & Flickers are considered within the spirit of OD as well as normal enhancements to vang, mainsheet, traveler and outhaul purchase. As everyone attending is doing so to race one-design we ask and have found that everyone is happy to adhere to that spirit; if we wanted Rock Stars & Arms Races we’d all be sailing a different class of boat.

So once you’ve got yourself into “One Design” mode, the insurance and border stuff behind you, everything else is pretty much smooth sailing. The club has separate boat/mast cranes and upon arrival will have a pressure washer plus a whole lot of people familiar with using the facilities to help launch boats and raise masts. All you need to ensure is that you have lifting eye nuts on your keel bolts and we can supply the rest (or bring your own straps if you prefer). From arrival to in the water/tuning your rig normally takes about 30 minutes.

Thursday night there will be a Rum & Registration party for the J/27 Fleet compliments of Doyle Sails & Louis Johnson (former J/27 Class President) who have already stepped forward with sponsorship (i.e. they’re buying the booze). At that time we will also have a package for you that will cover all the details of racing as well as social events and maps/happenings/services around town. If the regatta party/music isn’t to your taste then the Downtown Oakville Jazz Festival is expected to be on the same weekend and is a short 5 minute walk from the club.

The Oakville Yacht Squadron has committed to providing 3 days of racing for the J/27 Fleet, free mooring, use of the crane(s) & trailer storage for all competitor’s for the duration of your stay. I am hoping to have confirmation of any additional costs for the extra day of RC within the next month; the club Executive are now considering extending the entire regatta to 3 days based on our request. This year’s trophy has been ordered and I’ve already started working on the T-Shirt design. More on those and options for accommodation in next month’s update.

So now that the holiday season is behind us and we’re all looking forward to the coming summer of racing, I hope your plans for attending this year’s regatta are also firming up. Should anyone be in need of crew I have contact details of J/27 owners from the Midwest and West coast who, not being able to bring their boats, are looking for rides. As always, please don’t hesitate dropping me an e-Mail if I missed anything or can be of any help in any way.

Andrew (aka Hunter S)
J/27 CAN-59 “Curved Air”

#6 PATSYQPATSY

PATSYQPATSY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:everything

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

Looking forward to it. "I love the smell of Canada in the summer. It smells like...Labatts."

#7 Fluffy

Fluffy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

Sorry if I'm blind and missed it, but we are looking at Aug 9, 10, 11? The OYS link has the 2012 dates.

Working on trying to get another boat to join the party.

#8 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

Sorry if I'm blind and missed it, but we are looking at Aug 9, 10, 11? The OYS link has the 2012 dates.

Working on trying to get another boat to join the party.

Not Blind...Dates for 2013 will be Friday through Sunday August 9, 10 & 11...Website hasn't been updated yet

#9 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

Everyone…

Since last month’s update we had 3 more responses to the survey….and then nothing, no e-Mails from any new potential participants so I think that’s it. Final tally was that 75% of you wanted a 3 day regatta and 67% of you were prepared to pay $25 to cover the additional day/costs of RC duties. In total 12 boats/owners responded so that’s a pretty good representation I think.

At this time the 3 days are confirmed by the OYS however I am still waiting on confirmation whether there will be an additional charge; I believe they are extending the offer of the additional day to the other One-Design fleets (i.e. Etchell’s and C&C32-2’s) and simply awaiting their response. I have advised the club executive that should the other fleets jump on the offer of 3 days of racing then our expectation as a fleet would be that we all do so under the same conditions. All I can say is budget for the additional $25 as it’s a small cost.

Speaking of costs & the survey, someone recommended we have a photographer on the course and I’ve now had a chance to look into that. To make it worthwhile I tried to locate a local photographer with experience shooting these sorts of events. Of the six I located I had four responses and one (Joe Santos/Eye4Photos) has expressed an interest and pencilled in the date. Joe’s rate is $500 for a day and includes on the water photography and all photos for free as digital downloads (8x10 print size). That was the best deal I was able to find and Joe actually shot this regatta in 2010.

If the J/27 Fleet were to independently cover the costs of the RC & Photographer for a day then we are potentially looking at another $50 per boat over and above the Regatta Registration fee. My approach at the moment is, once I have a confirmation from the club regarding any additional RC fees, is to then breech the subject of the photographer with them to see if that is something they would also be interested in as a part of the overall regatta. Stay tuned.

At that time I am also considering approaching the club with a donation of some Gold Club Flags to be presented to the winners of a “friendly” North Shore (CAN) vs. South Shore (US) challenge. The idea being we take the top 3 to 5 finishers from each of the sides and based on their cumulative scores award flags to all the boats from the winning side. If Michael “Southern” Seitz as last year’s winner of this regatta and top US boat wants to pick up the challenge on behalf of his country I will be happy to accept on behalf of “The North” and pursue getting the flags.

So that brings me to the important stuff…the scratch sheet. The following list represents the boats/owners that I have been in communications with over the past year and have expressed an interest or intent to attend. Also based on those communications I know at least 5 of these boats that are borderline attendees for various reasons. As such I believe we are still on target to get 15 boats on the line come August. Currently my scratch sheet looks like this:

( #16) Seamma
( #30) Solo
( #31) True North
( #33) Stir'N It Up
( #35) Revenge
( #59) Curved Air
( #81) Nightshade
( #97) White Feather
( #83) Shazam
( #84) Willy T
( #89) Starlet
( #93) Monkeyshine
( #99) Messing About
( #101) Obladi
( #108) Northern Seitz
( #128) Instant Karma
( #140) Wild Hare
( #150) Nut Case
( #160) Warped Perception
( #162) Perpetual Motion

If I’ve missed anyone, and/or you want to be added and/or deleted from the list please let me know over the next month. At this time we need to start firming up numbers for T-Shirts, Bow Numbers, Moorings, and Trailer Storage as well as have some idea of potential accommodation requirements so we can approach local hotels for a special package deal based on volumes.

Until next month… Curved Air

#10 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

J/27 North Americans (2013) - March Update

Everybody…

What started out as a half-baked idea about putting together a little regatta for those J27s still racing has now ballooned into 15 boats from the East Coast to the Mid-West; from the Chesapeake to the Upper Great Lakes. So on the recommendation of Dan (#31 True North) and to reflect that broad participation we are officially renaming the regatta the NAs.

With the resurgence of the class it is only fitting we have our own class flag (see attached). When you arrive/register we will be asking the skipper of each boat to sign the flag which will be used by the RC for the regatta and then awarded to the Best Overall Boat as the NA Trophy for this year. I am proposing this game of “Capture The Flag” become our new tradition as a fleet as I think it is way cooler than yet another “pickle dish”. We will also be awarding OYS Flags for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place boats overall as well as 1st, 2nd & 3rd place flag for all the boats as part of the friendly Team Racing competition…so there’s lots of glory on offer.

Our confirmed 15 boats are as follows:
16 Seamma Severna Park, MD Gary Patenaude Team USA
27 SuperG Annapolis, MD Erik Fridley Team USA
31 True North Chicago, IL Dan Arntzen Team USA
33 Miss Trixie Oakville, ON Geoff Freeman Team Oakville
59 Curved Air Oakville, ON Andrew Riem Team Canada
81 Nightshade Oakville, ON Dave Moores Team Oakville
83 Shazam Oakville, ON Dave Belisle Team Oakville
84 Willy T Collingwood, ON Dirk Sell Team Canada
89 Starlet Hamilton, ON Doug Folsetter Team Canada
93 Monkeyshine Mimico, ON Ron Searles Team Canada
97 Whitefeather Beverly, MA Brant Binns Team USA
99 Messing About Oakville, ON Andre Beese Team Oakville
108 Northern Seitz Wilson, NY Michael Seitz Team USA
140 Wild Hare Collingwood, ON Bob Fortier Team Canada
160 Warped Perception Oakville, ON Bruce Scott Team Oakville

There is still a possibility of #101 Obladi & #31 SOLO attending if they can work out crew logistics and, if so, we will need to relook at the teams and/or some other way of evening out the sides. Wouldn’t be such a problem if #150 Nut Case would also sign up but Mike has decided racing PHRF close to home that weekend is far more interesting…feel free to berate Mike at your leisure and fill up his inbox with messages trying to talk some sense into him.

The OYS Regatta Committee has been advised of the scratch sheet/requirement for moorings & trailer storage and have had the question put to them of whether they wish to engage a photographer as part of the regatta. Andre “Messing About” (aka Agent 99) is on the Regatta Committee and, as our “man on the inside”, is looking out for the fleet’s interest and arranging for all the flags. Thanks Andre.

Geoff (aka Miss Trixie) has been busy arm wrestling the local hoteliers at the Monte Carlo Inn and has been able to negotiate a hold on 15 Rooms for the regatta weekend (Thursday 8 August to Sunday 11 August/Late Checkout) at $74.90/Night for a 1 bed (Regular $109.90) and $84.90/Night for a 2 Bed. Contact is Jessika Chiappino via e-Mail or the old fashioned way (905) 849-9500 x232…just mention you are sailors participating in the OYS Regatta. The crews of Whitefeather, Wild Hare & Northern Seitz all stayed there last year and recommended it…as well as the inclusive breakfast. Would suggest booking early to ensure a room. Thanks Trixie.

For myself…I’ve been amazed at the response and my thanks in return for the kind words from so many of you. Putting this together is probably as much effort as putting your crew and boats together to make the journey…so kudos to you all in return for also putting in a tremendous effort to attend…no boats/no regatta!

Until next month… Curved Air

Attached Thumbnails

• J27 North Americans Trophy 2013 (Small).jpg

#11 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

Everyone….

Kim with #30/SOLO has now confirmed…we are officially 16 Boats now.

Andrew

#12 SpeedSquare

SpeedSquare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Firefighting, J27's, Skiing

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:23 AM

Keep up the pressure on Nut Case, I think he is starting to crack.....

#13 Kevlar Edge

Kevlar Edge

Anarchist

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

get on the class website and find Doug Davies. tell him to take "Amethyst" out of moth balls and bring it up. He needs to get out sailing again and this might get him going. This guy is really fast, he won a few NAs, BIRW and KWRW.

#14 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

get on the class website and find Doug Davies. tell him to take "Amethyst" out of moth balls and bring it up. He needs to get out sailing again and this might get him going. This guy is really fast, he won a few NAs, BIRW and KWRW.

Lost track of Doug and assumed he had sold his boat. If that's not the case and you know where he is at please let him know about the regatta

#15 Kevlar Edge

Kevlar Edge

Anarchist

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

oh he knows, he just needs motivation he had the boat sailing 2 years ago but it went back into moth balls after one season. I heard it's pretty much race ready.
I'll PM you his email, taunt him a little that always works

#16 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

oh he knows, he just needs motivation he had the boat sailing 2 years ago but it went back into moth balls after one season. I heard it's pretty much race ready.
I'll PM you his email, taunt him a little that always works

Taunting seems to be one of the forte's of the Fleet...Appreciate you reaching out to him...I think I raced against Doug in 2001 in Buffalo at the NAs the first year I had my boat. He's sort of one of the last of the previous generation of owners...Ed went to the Melges 32 and not sure what happened to Kurt but I do know where the old Eoraptor is. Would be great to have some more talent for Team USA (as if they don't have enough already)

#17 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

Everyone…

Wayne with #153/High Voltage has got some logistics to work out but has confirmed his intention to attend.

With 17 boats now…We suspect you’ll be able to get from one side of the harbour to the other via the raft!

We just need Garen with Obladi and we’ve 3 Teams of 6 Boats (No pressure dude!)

… Andrew

#18 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:00 PM

J/27 North Americans - April Update

Everyone…

Well…nothing much to report this month…I took the cover off the boat the April Fools weekend as is tradition and the next day it snowed…go figure.  Something unnatural about snow drifts on your deck however the harbour and race course are clear of ice and the docks are going in for the season.  So given that…just a few reminders this month:

T-Shirts…$15 per shirt (Front & Back Designs as attached)...please drop me an e-Mail with the quantity and sizes you want so I can start putting the order together.  We will only be ordering what is requested so don’t want you to be disappointed…and yes, if you can’t make the regatta because your boat is in Texas, California or other far flung places you can still get the T-Shirt…just let me know quantity, size & mailing address.  US/CDN $ at par…cash at the regatta or payment via PayPal.

Lifting Eye…you can check out the crane (and harbour) at the Harbour/Crane Cam.  The overhang of the roof gets in the way a bit but there is a lower boom for the hulls and also an upper boom for the masts.  Please make sure you have a lifting eye installed on your keel bolt/s as I can’t find my spare.  Bring your own straps and lifting brackets or we can provide them and also people who know all the subtle nuances of using the crane (local knowledge).

Rum ‘n Tug Party…Due to the peculiarities of Canadian Liquor Licensing we will probably hold the Thursday evening registration & party on the Red Tug also moored in Oakville Harbour (See Attached Photo).    More on that as we get closer to the date.

Registration…I think we’ve topped out at 18 boats which is probably a good thing as I think you’ll be able to walk from one side of the river to the other on the 27 raft;  nice problem to have J.  I have been in touch with the Regatta Committee about getting registration open and also pointed them in the direction of using isailrace.com (similar to yachtscoring.com).  Some of the delays I put down to the new application and seeking a new sponsor which is also delaying the ordering of Bow Numbers.  Should be opening soon so just a reminder of the requirement for $2M of “Public Liability Insurance” to race in this part of the world.

That’s it for the moment…will be following up on having a photographer on the course as well as a visitors package once we get registration going and also my spring maintenance and boat in the water.  As always...any question or need a hand with something…just e-Mail.

Cheers…  Andrew

Attached Thumbnails

• 2013 North Americans T-Shirt (Front Breast).jpg
  • 2013 North Americans T-Shirt (Back).jpg
  • Rum 'n Tug.jpg

#19 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

2013 J/27 NA Registration Now Open

My first bullet of the regatta!!!  I’m registered

http://isailrace.com...ba-c6b32e1eb652

#20 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

J27 North American's - May Update

Everyone…

More of a reminder than an update this month as all the plans are definitely falling into place.

Firstly; Registration is Open.  Nine (9) boats have registered - short of our projected 18.  Please register by clicking here.

Secondly; T-Shirts.  I’ve received some orders so just a  reminder; no order/no shirts.  Please e-mail me your list of sizes & quantities at your earliest convenience.

And that’s about it.  Only 12 weeks to the regatta

Andrew

#21 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:11 AM

12 Boats now Registered...we're already 20% over what we had last year...and a potential Dark Horse from Long Island Sound now showing some interest in attending...could we actually hit 19 boats?

#22 Geronimo

Geronimo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

Toying around with the idea of road tripping up from New Orleans to there come August. Persuade me.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#23 PATSYQPATSY

PATSYQPATSY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:18 AM

Hello? Friggin Canada!image.jpg

#24 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

Toying around with the idea of road tripping up from New Orleans to there come August. Persuade me.

Burton..

Well...seems Gary has already arranged for some "companionship" for you and you really wouldn't want to disappoint "the lady" :-)

In all seriousness...despite the 3 days of racing, large OD fleet, discount accommodations and all the other stuff we've been able to put into the regatta; I appreciate that's enough to get your thinking about coming but it's probably about 3 days trailering each way from "Nawlins to Torana".  To make it worth while you might want to consider doing the circuit that Michael "Northern Seitz" is doing...YYC Levels (http://www.yachtscor...enu.cfm?eID=743) followed by LYRA Race Week (http://lyra2013.com/) followed by the J/27 NAs; certainly maximise your time & sailing opportunity here but appreciate it to is a larger commitment for people, vacation and cash...but something to possibly consider.

Otherwise, what other reason is there to come to Canada....BEER...ours is way better than yours.  Unfortunately can't seem to find a decent Gumbo of Jambalaya in this neck of the wood so if you show, bring some southern cookin and the beer will be on me.  Would love to see you up here...we had some similar interest last year with Ed with "Footloose" in Houston whose done Key West in the past a number of time which is about equal distance.  So otherwise, all I can say is this is probably the only opportunity you will get to race OD, sailing on fresh water is way better than salt, and the Canadian dollar is nose diving.

Hope some of that helps and you decide to come and there is anything I can do to help please don't hesitate to drop me an e-Mail.

...  Andrew

#25 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

J27 NAs - (Almost) June Update

Everyone…

A bit early off the mark (OCS) but getting to the point where we need to commit to orders for Bow Numbers, T-Shirts, etc.  So with that in mind:

13 Boats are registered.  We had strong interest from 6 others but suspect we may have lost one due to the boat being quietly put on the market.  On the other hand we picked up interest from two “New” boats; New York & New Orleans, so realistically we are still expecting 15 to 20 boats.  For those of you who haven’t done so already please register so we can finalise the numbers for moorings, trailer storage and put in the order for bow numbers.  Your registration also might be the one that convinces the fence sitters to commit.  For those of you who have already registered, thanks for that and for your feedback regarding our trial of iSailRace.com.  iSailRace is a free application developed by a group of local sailors so it allows us to keep the cost down and still provide functionality I think we’ve all come to expect and appreciate.

I would also ask that everyone e-Mail me their T-Shirt order in the next couple weeks as I will be placing the order before the end of June to ensure enough time for delivery.  Andre “Messing About” has negotiated a deal for J27 Battle Flags at $95 CDN.  Please contact Andre should you be interested in purchasing one.  Andre has also been busy sorting out the “Rum & Tug” party for Thursday evening as well as pulling in a favour with a photographer who will be out on the course capturing the event.  Thanks Andre for all your efforts and assistance.

Other loose ends included requests for an itinerary of daily events and “orientation documents”.  I found the folowing map on the OYS  Website under the visitor’s section which has pretty much everything I expect you could want “orientation wise”.  For those of you who are new to Canada we buy beer at “The Beer Store”…Liquor at the “LCBO” (you’ll find them under the groceries section which I think says something about our drinking habits).  Everything else on the map is pretty self-explanatory but don’t hesitate to ask.  The Monte Carlo Inn is also located a bit north of (30) on the map for those of you who have booked rooms there.  As I figure most of us have GPS in the car and Google Maps on your smart phones that about covers the orientation.  The club does have free Wi-Fi and as soon as I finish rebuilding the network this summer will share the credentials with everyone.

Itinerary of Daily Event; we expect that  boats will be arriving throughout the day on Thursday and myself and others will be around all day to help with getting everyone rigged, registered and settled.  I did note the crane was being serviced the other day so it’s all ready to go.  Rum is expected to start pouring around 6:00P and continue until around 10:00P (or as long as it last).  For those of you interested there is a Club Race Thursday evening that you are welcome to join in.  The club bar will also be open.

Friday & Saturday I would expect the first gun around 10:00A, no races to start after 3:30P; Sunday probably 10:00A and 2:00P.  All pretty normal stuff and we’re hoping we can get 11 to 13 races in.  I know that the Regatta Committee has firmed up the RC, bought a new mark boat and engaged a certified PRO so expect all this will be formalised in a NOR/SIs that will be available on iSailRace and/or at registration.  Hopefully we will also have a new sponsor for the regatta and also a registration fee soon; all still works in progress.

The Oakville Jazz Festival will be on Friday/Saturday/Sunday so would recommend exploring the Downtown & Free Concerts Friday night (*Please note the streets will be blocked off for the Festival so there will be some detours for those of you driving between the hotel & club).  Saturday there will be the Regatta Party at the club and Sunday Awards after the racing.

So that’s about it for 2013; nothing much left to do but set some marks and hope for good winds.  As always, anything else just e-Mail me.  Be in touch and see you in 10 weeks.

Andrew

#26 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

All…

OK…so we exceeded our target of 15 boats and come this time next month we’ll all be trying to dig a hole in a line of 17 of us.  So as a final update before the regatta:

The NoR has been posted and Online Payment opened up…check out the event found at www.isailrace.com.  Registration Fee  is confirmed/set at $75 (with a discount to US boats due to the falling loonie). 

Based on our experience from last year and in consideration of Team USA the Insurance Requirements have been eased ($350k CDN or equivalent) so you will not need to make any special arrangements.

The Team Racing Friendly is definitely still on and will be scored based on the average score of all races/all boats on a team.  And speaking of friendly…there have been some comments/discussions regarding this being a Class Event.  Officially we are not a class as we have no dues and all the other things that you need in order to qualify as a class.  There are however Class Rules which we trust everyone racing will honour the spirit of and abide by (i.e. no one is going to be checking); I just read them again and they seem reasonable and a good place to start.  For the record, we normally sail with battery, cushions, coolers, Main, #1, #3 & 2 Chutes On…Head, Stove, Anchor Off…and the motor/gas tank stowed down below over the keel.

For those of you following the comings and goings on Anarchy and may have read something about Great Lake water levels…please disregard…we are as high as we normally are or higher…and it’s been raining a lot recently

I’ve (mostly) finished rebuilding the Yacht Club Wireless Network…SSID is “OYS” & Password is “lighthouse”.  I’ve got the bow number, T-Shirts have been ordered, and the rum is on its way.

Attached is a map of the Club/Harbour.  Free Trailer Parking has been arranged for everyone in the lot South West of the OYS/Harbour Works Yard.

See you all soon…  Andrew

Attached Thumbnails

• Oakville Harbour.png

#27 Blackadder

Blackadder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:14 AM

Any results, photos, stories and updates, guys ???

#28 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

Final Results attached...lots of good boat porn...drama and stories to fill a novel...will pull something together over the next week.

Attached Files

#29 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

http://www.youtube.c...W9zCZmYlCUEJgSQ

#30 Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:39 PM

That explains why Max was wet!

#31 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:47 AM

Photos Online

http://www.flickr.co...57635049764242/

#32 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:49 PM

Another Gallery...Different Photographer...

http://www.graddewar...7s_ _Bravo.html

#33 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:27 AM

Draft Article sent to Stu Johnstone @ J/Boats for inclusion in J/News...Keep an eye out in the next edition.

#34 Chaise Lounge

Chaise Lounge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:sailing! and taking photographs

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:04 PM

http://www.youtube.c...W9zCZmYlCUEJgSQ

wern't we just talking about replacing rigging? !!

#35 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

Six boats by land (Boston, Chicago, 2 X Annapolis, 2 X Lake Huron/Georgian Bay), four by water (Upstate New York, Hamilton, 2 X Toronto) joined the local fleet of six J/27s to contest the 2013 North Americans hosted by the Oakville Yacht Squadron on the Western End of Lake Ontario this past August 9/10/11 2013 .

Possibly a bad omen or premonition of things to come as Erik “SuperG” Fridley on their way from Annapolis made a couple wrong turns and “SuperG” was rear ended.  For the record…in a fight between a Saturn and a J/27 rudder…take the J/27 rudder.  Fortunately no-one was hurt and “SuperG” only sustained a small chip to her trailing edge.  The Saturn will need a new hood and windshield but who cares; the boat was OK.  Any tensions or stress as a result of the accident appear to have been quickly washed away thanks to the Doyle Sails donation of rum by Peter “Louis” Johnson; one time J/27 Owner and Past Class President.  Due to the vagaries of Canadian Liquor Licensing the opening pour was held up river from the club on a tug boat and the first official “Rum & Tug Registration Party” kicked off the event.

Day 1:  Madi Beese and the Beese family on “Messing About” brought their “A” game opening the scoring with a bullet and showed they were definitely in it to win it.  Geoff “Miss Trixie” Freeman also took a bullet and ended up 3rd at the end of the day.  “SuperG” and Doug “Sabotage” Folsetter had begun to setup their rivalry for the weekend with “SuperG” coming out on top by 1 point by day’s end.  “Messing About” and Andrew “Curved Air” Riem rounding out the top five in a tie for 4th.

Day 2:  I think we started 4 races.  I think we finished 2.  I think the wind started around South East…shifted to North West…and then back gain to South East.  No-one is really sure and unanimously concluded that was one of the hardest days of racing ever with bomb crater sized holes in the wind and massive shifts both ways…if you had the courage to run the minefield and squirted out the other end without slipping into no man’s land you probably did pretty well.

The PRO set a record for the shortest finish line ever; by the measure of Wayne “High Voltage” Connor just under 3 boat widths.  Combine that with a 180 degree wind shift right before the line, finishing the first race three boats abreast meant leaving a couple stanchions on the RC Boat as a souvenir.  “High Voltage” missed the second race but was back out the next day all repaired and ready to rock & roll.

“Sabotage” on the other hand rolled the dice and came up Snake Eyes…2 bullets in 2 races.  On the other hand Bruce “Warped Perception” Scott threw craps; leading and in third on both of the abandoned races.  Some days you can’t even buy one…sorry dude.

By the end of the day a three way contest between “Messing About” (25pts), “SuperG” (22pts)  and “Sabotage” (11pts) had emerged with “Sabotage” looking to have a strangle hold on first place…but this is yacht racing and the wind in Oakville which can be notoriously fickle still had a part to play in the drama that unfolded

Lurking in the shadows was Michael “Northern Seitz” Seitz, lasts year’s champion, a distant 7th waiting for his moment to pounce.

Day 3:  A day that wasn’t supposed to happen at all and, depending on where you sat in the standings, that’s exactly what you were hoping for or against.  All forecasts were predicting “Zero To Nuthin” however the day ended up being the best of the three with a “reasonably” steady and stable 7 to 10 knots that allowed the RC/PRO to get 4 races in to make a 9 race series (way to go PRO!). 

But like the other days…it would not be without its heartache and drama.  Race 1 of the day saw “Sabotage” launch early with a Black Flag Flying opening the door for “SuperG” to begin their assault on 1st place with a bullet.  “Sabotage” picked themselves up off the mat and hit back in the next race with a bullet of their own with “SuperG” right on their transom in 2nd.  The penultimate race saw “Sabotage” drift back into the fleet with a 5th while “SuperG” went on to claim the win and close the gap to 1 point behind “Sabotage” overall with drops and only one race left.  “Messing About”, 4 points behind “SuperG”, solidly in 3rd, in touch, in contention…and ready to play the role of spoiler.  And then the sky opened and what started with such drama for “SuperG” returned in kind.  “Messing About” and “Sabotage” both OCS’d under a Black Flag on the final start and “SuperG” went on the finish 2nd in the final race behind “Northern Seitz” whose assault on the podium stalled at 4th overall.  Dan “True North” Arntzen of Chicago rounded out the top 5 overall.

But wait folks…it ain’t over yet!  Due to an unintended interpretation in the SIs the validity of the final race was thrown into question.  Won’t get into all the gory details however the last race was ultimately upheld, the PRO apologised for the unintended consequences as a result of the SIs and everyone agreed for the health of the class and future of the event to let the results stand and award the championship based on what happened on the water and not on paper.

Congratulations to Erik Fridley & the crew of SuperG; this year’s J/27 North American Champions.  An almost flawless performance under heavy competition and taxing conditions…you sailed brilliantly. 

The 2013 North Americans was the largest collection of still racing 27s in over a decade.  For those of us still racing, keeping our boats going and the fleet alive, it’s nice to find a community as strongly committed to their boats as the 27s…and as genuine in upholding the ideals of yachting and one-design racing; we have no class, no class dues and therefore no official class rules…everyone wants to race one design so we simply adhere to the principles of fairness.  That is not to say there weren’t any protests…but they were all resolved with the shake of a hand and a couple turns on the course where required before proceeding to the bar for a drink.  It is the people that make these events worth towing your boat 500 miles to attend.  Thank you all for being the kind of people I would happily race with or against.

A BIG Thank You must go out to the Oakville Yacht Squadron for hosting us…all the volunteers, PRO, Race Committee and Race Management.  And a final thanks to Rod & the rest of the Johnstone clan for designing/producing one of the most amazing boats…ever...period.  Years ahead of her time we are still picking off boats 10 feet longer than us which always result in being asked “What is that?”  Many have forgotten or never knew of the boat…many of us are still with or returning to our first love.  Next year…20+ boats…we’ll see you all there. (2013 Final Results Attached)

Andrew Riem (J/27 CAN-59 “Curved Air”)

Attached Files

#36 stan1

stan1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

Is there a list of existing J-27s and where they are located? I am trying to figure out where my old 27 wound up. I bought her new and kept her in Oxford until I sold her about 1998. She was Sail # 63206 (I don't recall hull # and am not where I can root through my old files). I know she raced in southern maryland as POGO (original name) into the mid- 2000s, but don't know what happedend to her after that.

#37 SailMoore1

SailMoore1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Sailboats

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:19 AM

http://j27.wikispaces.com/Class+List

#38 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:06 AM

4 Photos Galleries at http://www.flickr.co...39639@N08/sets/

2 HD Video of some Sunday Starts uploaded to  http://www.youtube.c...PqGdgXYg/videos

1 Video from the GoPRO on Messing About at http://youtu.be/zd_k7zKxKmY

#39 Geronimo

Geronimo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

First of all, sorry that we could not make the event this year. It looked like a very well run regatta, and very fun.

We currently have three J27s here in New Orleans with a fourth on our trailer making her way here.

Right now there are two more guys down here looking to bring a fifth and sixth 27 to Lake Pontchartrain.

Does anyone know of anyone wanting to part ways with their beloved 27?

#40 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:17 PM

First of all, sorry that we could not make the event this year. It looked like a very well run regatta, and very fun.

We currently have three J27s here in New Orleans with a fourth on our trailer making her way here.

Right now there are two more guys down here looking to bring a fifth and sixth 27 to Lake Pontchartrain.

Does anyone know of anyone wanting to part ways with their beloved 27?

Just sent you the list I have...so which 4 Hull Numbers are in NOLA...Maybe next year we should all try and meet in the middle (Annapolis?)

#41 K9u20

K9u20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:24 PM

Keep the class momentum going ! A great boat for a lot of people with good all around speed, good cabin for weekending and not crew intensive. I would think that for a budget of 12 - 15k, you could get a good boat and still be under 20k with some new sails and lines etc. There are two or three J27's racing on Lake Lanier in Georgia.

#42 Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

I saw two very tired looking 27's on cans out in front of Coconut Grove SC in iamb last weekend.

#43 PATSYQPATSY

PATSYQPATSY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

Where?

#44 PATSYQPATSY

PATSYQPATSY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:22 PM

Where?

#45 PATSYQPATSY

PATSYQPATSY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:24 PM

Where?

#46 Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

Ooops - Miami.

#47 USA 236

USA 236

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:17 AM

I saw two very tired looking 27's on cans out in front of Coconut Grove SC in iamb last weekend.

Piglet must have been maintaining them.....

#48 northernseitz

northernseitz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:35 AM

Stan1. I think I have your old boat. It was sailed in MD and has the name POGO embossed in the gelcoat.
Hull number 108, have named it Northernseitz sailed on Lake Ontario in Wilson NY
Mike Seitz Usa108

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: J/27

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users