114 replies to this topic

#1 scottmax

scottmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:07 AM

This is a topic more for me to get how I feel of my chest.

My best friend for the last 13 years my Blue Heeler Cattle dog Barry is going to the vet for the last time in around 3 hours. He can no longer stand by himself and I have been carrying him in and out of the house for the last 2 days so he can do his business outside. He cannot walk unaided and has been on pain killer for the last 5 days. There was a small improvement for the first couple of days then things just got worse.
I made that hardest of all decisions this morning and called the vet to end his now very shitty life. There is still a small part of me that hopes when I get him to the vet she will say no he will be fine if you just do this, I live in hope.
He still has a spark in his eye and even manages to wag his tail every now and then, this is what give me hope.

His deterioration has been very rapid over a period of 7 days.

I had to get my kids to say good bye to him this morning before they went to school and that was hard explaining to them but credit to them they understood and even though very sad did not make a big fuss.

My wife and I got Barry only a couple of week after we got engaged and we joked how it was a practice to see if we where ready to have kids, Barry has been the best dog you could ever hope for. He was natural at being a great pet. I did not walk him with a lead as he would always walk just beside me, he sat, lay down, did not fight other dogs and when we eventually had kids 3 years later he was brilliant with them also. My kids did some pretty hard thing on Barry as they grew up but he never as much as growled at them.
We did not even live in a house with a fence for his first 7 years and he always stayed around home. Of course he would go for a occasional wander down to the beach when we lived at Kirra Beach but he was smart enough to walk with another person so it at least looked like he belonged to someone if the dog catcher came by.

My wife is coming home from work at lunch and together we will take him to the vet. This is even sadder than I thought it could ever be. Today we both will loose the first member of our family and the pain of that sucks.

I try to remember the happy times and there are thousands but the sadness is still close by. It will get better I know but right now, today, I am very sad.

#2 oldweezer

oldweezer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:28 AM

Your story reminds me of our first dog, Rufus. He was a Visla mix and lived into his 16th year. We realized that we were keeping him going as much if not more for us than for him. We loved that dog and did the right thing. That was nine years ago and I am still typing this through a few tears. I bet Barry, like Rufus, was a better dog because of you and your wife. When I think of the dogs (two) I have planted under the trees, I think of the good times. They deserve no less. When I look at my two 9 year old dogs, I know I will go through this again (and again). I appreciate them all the more.
Many of us know what you are going through and are thinking of you.
Fair seas, Barry.

#3 Bull Gator

Bull Gator

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,280 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:40 AM

I put down my cat (ali) two months ago. She was 16. Out of nowhere she threw a clot down to one of the arteries in her hind leg. No warning one moment she was fine rolling on he floor the next moaning in pain and couldn't walk. In two hours she was dead. I bawled like a baby.

Last week a got a new kitten an ocicat. He's hysterical and has great character but I'll always remember Ali.

It takes a little while but the pain will stop.

#4 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:49 AM

I know that pain.

Rip Yogi, Pervert, and Elmo

If I was in the 'hood, I'd buy you a drink. :mellow:

#5 chester

chester

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:20 AM

Take care, scottmaxs, you'll always have barry.

#6 Dale dug a hole

Dale dug a hole

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  • Interests:Digging holes

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:28 AM

Bummer, but its the right thing to do.

#7 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:34 AM

Scottmax, BTDT, currently toasting you both. It's a tough decision, but the right one.

#8 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,336 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:00 AM

I read some good advice here on SA, do not remember who wrote it.

He left when the vet put down his dog, said he should have stayed with him to the end.

We have a blue heeler too, when she's ready I want to stay with her to the end like that.

#9 Shibby

Shibby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,298 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:09 AM

sad...

#10 NautiGirl

NautiGirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,155 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:09 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss. It hurts so much, and even though it's been 2 years, I can remember that sick feeling you get when you know it's time like it was yesterday.

When my vet came to end the suffering of my Jack, she told me "It's nice to do this when they have some life still left in them". What she meant by that was not that I was giving up on him too soon, but that I hadn't dragged his suffering out to the point he was nothing more than a bag of fur and a pulse. It sounds like you haven't done that either.

I really believe letting them go when they get to that point is the greatest thank you we can give them after years of unconditional love and companionship. I felt an incredible sense of peace once I let him go. I hope that you'll feel that same peace.

Thoughts to you and the family.

My god I need to dust this place!

#11 furr_ball

furr_ball

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:16 AM

So sorry to hear, share your pain.

My old girl went at 14 a few years ago, she was the most lovely companion.
Arthritis made her cranky and snappy, I had to carry 45 kg of Maremma up and down the stairs.
Had to make the decision as she was in pain.

The vets were great, let me stay with her for hours in a little used consult room with an external door so I could go when I wanted to.
She collapsed in my arms at the time she went to sleep.

I miss her dearly.

Will raise my glass for Barry later and remember Crystal.

Fair winds Barry.

#12 Grrl Runnin the Pointy End

Grrl Runnin the Pointy End

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:30 AM

Scott -

We're going through this with our 12 y/o Golden as we speak. Suddenly he could not stand at all on Friday. We got him to the vet Sat morning and he gave Rocky a shot of dexamethasone, a rapid acting steroid. Rapid is no exaggeration. Rocky got up all by himself and was walking around the back of the station wagon before we even got home. He's only at about 90% but he's walking unaided and we're thrilled to have that much.

I truly hope your vet tried this before making the decision to put him down.

My heart is with you and Barry.

#13 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:13 AM

My wife and I got Barry only a couple of week after we got engaged and we joked how it was a practice to see if we where ready to have kids, Barry has been the best dog you could ever hope for.

We rescued Bailey for the same reason. We ended up having no kids and just kept rescuing doggies.
Bailey is 15 now, and she's about done. Not quite, because she hates our newest rescue and refuses to give in.

I've promised her that when she tells me, we'll go see the vet.
Dogs rock. You were fortunate to have Barry, and vice versa. That's all there is to it.

#14 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:24 AM

thoughts with you Scott. Our pup, Jack, passed on in 2010. I wasnt around at the end, but i got the phone call just the same. Before i left, i knew his time was near. He needed up standing up, especially on the tile floors, couldnt keep himself from shitting the house, etc. We had a scare a few years before where he couldnt stand up, but it passed. This time, it didnt. I still feel a pang when i walk in the house (i dont get home that often) and i realize he isnt going to come to the door. Hell, i even miss having dog hair over everything. He helped me when i was down, and i helped him when he was down (thunderstorms and smoke detector low battery alarms... would reduce a 90lb animal to a shaking/quivering mess).

#15 scottmax

scottmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:55 AM

Thanks for all of your thoughts. There was no magic fix and the green needle was the only answer, my wife and sat with him and cried like you should when someone close to you passes. It was quick and he was asleep for good within a few seconds. We sat with him for a short while then left and had another good cry.
We then had to pick up the kids and have gone through the emotions all over again.
He had been on steroids for the last 12 months, his kidneys started to fail at around 6 months ago and the vet tell us her best guess was something had probably moved in his spine due to the arthritis he has been suffering as a old dog.
I know it was the right decision but it does not make the pain any easier.
I am now going to go and drink quite a few beers in memory of my mate then a couple of good quality rums just to be sure. I will miss him though resting on my feet while I do this.

#16 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,165 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:35 AM

You did the right thing by not letting it drag on for too long.

#17 President Eisenhowler

President Eisenhowler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,477 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:46 AM

You did right by your friend.

I'm reminded of those monks who write dog training books. They say that they normally keep their spiritual and their dog-raising activities separate, but they felt compelled to comment on why we put dogs down but not people. Their answer was that people, no matter how they are suffering, can find meaning in life, including their suffering, and can continue to grow in wisdom and understanding. For dogs, that's just not the case: dogs just plain suffer, and it's incumbent upon us to relieve them of that suffering.

"Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch it" or "Let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier for me if you are there."

#18 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,455 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:56 AM

went thru it with Jezzie the wonder dog last february. canine equivelent of MRSA worked it's way thru all her organs to her one good kidney.
putting her to sleep was one of the hardest decisions of my life, but one of the best, as it was just going to get worse for her. 3 months later I got a 3.5 yr old chocolate lab out of a rescue. Cappie is a total tennis ball freak. and always makes me smile. Dogs are good for the soul.

#19 President Eisenhowler

President Eisenhowler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,477 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:57 AM

When my vet came to end the suffering of my Jack, she told me "It's nice to do this when they have some life still left in them". What she meant by that was not that I was giving up on him too soon, but that I hadn't dragged his suffering out to the point he was nothing more than a bag of fur and a pulse. It sounds like you haven't done that either.

I really believe letting them go when they get to that point is the greatest thank you we can give them after years of unconditional love and companionship.

I made that mistake with a beloved cat. He was wasting away from cancer. One day as he was feebly struggling to avoid eating the nutritional paste that the vet had given me and that I was force-feeding him, the lightbulb finally went on over my head, and I stopped short with "my God, what the hell am I doing to this poor creature?" I took him in to be put down the next day, and he really was nothing more than a bag of fur and a pulse. Next time around, (beloved dog this time), I was a little more attuned to her telling me it was time to call it quits. I held her favorite toy in front of her nose as she was getting the fatal injection, and she wagged her tail a couple of times before passing out. That ended up feeling a lot better; my grief was unmixed with guilt over having mishandled her end. 13 years that time: a good life and a long one for her breed.

#20 redboat

redboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,285 posts
  • Interests:none

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

Had to put down my Blue Heeler/Spaniel mix last New Year's Day after 16 years.

Dog loved riding around in the car so will be ever grateful to the vet for leaving his office on a frigid day and doing what he had to do while the dog lay in her favorite place in the car. Didn't have to suffer the final stress of going into the vet's office.

Barry will always live on in your minds and souls.

#21 TonkaToy

TonkaToy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

Sorry for your loss.

Wolfgang Amadeaus has been greeting all the SA critters at the foot of Rainbow Bridge for the last several years. He'll be there when Barry gets there and will show him the ropes.

Fair winds, Barry, and condolences to you, Scott...

TT

#22 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

I don't understand people who DON'T love animals.

Fiona Apple has canceled a concert to be with her dog in her last days. I'll post the letter if I can figure out how to do it.

http://www.brainpick...e-janet-letter/

You'll have to scroll down quite a way for the transcript (I can't read her hand writting).
BE FOREWARNED, IT'S A TEAR JERKER.

#23 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,344 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

Very sad to hear scottmax, it always the hardest...

#24 sunmonkey

sunmonkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:where to begin ............

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

Me neither - they're delicious.
What I don't understand is people who don't understand my deep aversion to stepping in dog shit, dog fleas, dog hair everywhere, dogs rubbing their wormy arses on carpet, dogs barking all day and night, dogs jamming their noses in my crutch, dogs licking their arses and then my hand - dogs love me, I hate 'em. Not too keen on hearing mice scream at night when the girlfriend's cat is torturing them either.

#25 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

Then go fuck yourself.

#26 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,627 posts
  • Interests:walks on the beach,a good book,a good cry

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

sorry buddy for your loss......I just gave Beauford an extra hug this morning.

#27 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,502 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

Posted Image

#28 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

Hannah - aka - Jazz Hands - aka - Bammer feels sad for you.

Posted Image

#29 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

Smoo Dogger is contemplating...

Posted Image

#30 President Eisenhowler

President Eisenhowler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,477 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

Me neither - they're delicious.
What I don't understand is people who don't understand my deep aversion to stepping in dog shit, dog fleas, dog hair everywhere, dogs rubbing their wormy arses on carpet, dogs barking all day and night, dogs jamming their noses in my crutch, dogs licking their arses and then my hand - dogs love me, I hate 'em. Not too keen on hearing mice scream at night when the girlfriend's cat is torturing them either.

Perhaps a different time or place, or a different thread, might be a more appropriate venue for expressing that particular point of view?

#31 One of Five

One of Five

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,448 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

You did right by your friend.

I'm reminded of those monks who write dog training books. They say that they normally keep their spiritual and their dog-raising activities separate, but they felt compelled to comment on why we put dogs down but not people. Their answer was that people, no matter how they are suffering, can find meaning in life, including their suffering, and can continue to grow in wisdom and understanding. For dogs, that's just not the case: dogs just plain suffer, and it's incumbent upon us to relieve them of that suffering.

"Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch it" or "Let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier for me if you are there."

I've got that book.

#32 Sol No-Ebola Rosenberg

Sol No-Ebola Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,337 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

I lost my best friend recently. It sucks, and things will never be the same, but I am in the process of replacing part of the void she left behind with a pair of puppies. (I know what some of you are thinking, and those suspicions are well founded, given my general evil awful degenerate nature, but I really am talking about a pair of baby dogs.)

#33 President Eisenhowler

President Eisenhowler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,477 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

I lost my best friend recently. It sucks, and things will never be the same, but I am in the process of replacing part of the void she left behind with a pair of puppies. (I know what some of you are thinking, and those suspicions are well founded, given my general evil awful degenerate nature, but I really am talking about a pair of baby dogs.)

Ahh... puppies. They're so adorable in sweaters. Post a photo.

#34 One of Five

One of Five

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,448 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

Posted Image

#35 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

What breed? Anyone have schnauzers?

#36 One of Five

One of Five

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,448 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

Schnauzers rock. My aunt had two of them, Little Joe and Slugger. Fun dogs.

#37 ssi

ssi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

It sucks that your dog is dying but if that was your best friend for the last 13 years I think you need to put that behind you and re-evaluate your relations with humans.

#38 Sol No-Ebola Rosenberg

Sol No-Ebola Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,337 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

Lots of woods and wildlife at the new place. Perfect for a pair of little red bloodhound brothers. Little Buford T and Junior should be on station next month. Was thinking of something more energetic, but even with busting ass to get in shape harder than I ever have, I'm not sure about keeping up with something really energetic. So a couple of groovy little laid back homers it will be.

#39 titanuranus

titanuranus

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

+1

get a life

Its a fucking dog for Christ sakes

#40 scottmax

scottmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

It sucks that your dog is dying but if that was your best friend for the last 13 years I think you need to put that behind you and re-evaluate your relations with humans.

Only a person who has never owned a dog would say this. If you are a good owner the dog is unquestionably loyal to you. They are always happy to see you. They never argue with with you. They never steal from you. They follow you around and always want to be by your side. If you get into trouble the dog will always defend you. They will never judge you. Best anti theft device I have ever owned never as much as had a stranger in my yard while I have had dogs.
All you have to do to get this loyalty from a dog is fill its bowl once a day with food and water and walk or play with him for 1/2 hour a day.

Humans on the other hand .... act like dick on a thread that was created to express my feeling on how much I miss my most loyal friend of the last 13 years. So to the 3 haters on this thread go fuck your self and take your hating to another place.

#41 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

+1

get a life

Eat some shit.

#42 LDH

LDH

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Pretty sure I got something caught in my eye whilst reading all of this.
My bestie turned 11 two weeks ago. Im sure I will be a mess when his time comes.

Posted Image

#43 opa1

opa1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Sailing

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

I don't know if you have ever been through this before. Hope not because it is really tough. Okay, here's the real deal. You are obviously very attached to Barry. If you have a son and/or daughter, I would recommend that you take him/her (both) to the Vet with you. Their job is to make sure you are going to be okay after this is all over with. You need to be with Barry when the Vet puts him down. For some reason Barry will know that something bad is about to happen and he will really need you there at the end. You need to kiss him and talk to him right up to the very end. Believe me, he will know you are there and his love for you will never be stronger, or yours for him. When it is over, go ahead and just let it go. It helps. Have your son/daughter there with you. It really helps. Believe me you will need them.
Go home, have a few drinks and just remember all the good times you had with Barry. After 3 months or so, go get another Barry and start all over. I am a Black Lab lover and I'm on my third. Had two pure bred black labs and now have a Black Lab / Akita Mix. Saved him from the Pound. For some reason they seem to get better. His name is MONTY (my wife named him) and he is absolutely wonderful. He's our first boy dog, and he owns my wife and I.
So, what is the moral. This may not be the end. It may be the beginning. Save a Dog. It's definitely worth it.

#44 oldweezer

oldweezer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

Only a person who has never owned a dog would say this. If you are a good owner the dog is unquestionably loyal to you. They are always happy to see you. They never argue with with you. They never steal from you. They follow you around and always want to be by your side. If you get into trouble the dog will always defend you. They will never judge you. Best anti theft device I have ever owned never as much as had a stranger in my yard while I have had dogs.
All you have to do to get this loyalty from a dog is fill its bowl once a day with food and water and walk or play with him for 1/2 hour a day.

Humans on the other hand .... act like dick on a thread that was created to express my feeling on how much I miss my most loyal friend of the last 13 years. So to the 3 haters on this thread go fuck your self and take your hating to another place.

+1 Some trolls feel superior when they judge someone else. I (and many dog/pet lovers) truly feel your pain. I'll take both of my dogs over any of the haters on this thread any day.

#45 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

Only a person who has never owned a dog would say this.

No kidding. Kinda sad, really.

#46 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

Only a person who has never owned a dog would say this.

No kidding. Kinda sad, really.

very sad.

#47 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

I put them on ignore immediately.

#48 NautiGirl

NautiGirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,155 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

You really had nothing better to do today than come and shit on the thread of someone who is grieving a loss? May I suggest you get a hobby? I'm partial to sailing myself.

#49 NautiGirl

NautiGirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,155 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

+1

get a life

And people like you remind us all why we cherish our 4 legged friends over most people.

#50 Sol No-Ebola Rosenberg

Sol No-Ebola Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,337 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

+1

get a life

And people like you remind us all why we cherish our 4 legged friends over most people.

Dogs are a damn-sight more loyal than a lot of humans.

#51 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,344 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

Just when you think there couldn't possibly be anymore douchebags left, Sailing Anarchy swoops in with jackoffs like this.

Losing a pet is losing a member of the family. One that gives unconditionally at that.

#52 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

+1

get a life

There's gotta be one-liner in there somewhere including the words, "yo mamma".

#53 puffyjman

puffyjman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
  • Interests:j-boats, growing jalapenos and other horticultural experiments, chocolate labs,(R.I.P. Dexter my friend) bitching and complaining

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

You are so right scottmax.
Time will heal your broken heart, I know because I went through this earlier this year with my black lab Dexter.
I feel for ya. :(

#54 Sol No-Ebola Rosenberg

Sol No-Ebola Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,337 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

+1

get a life

There's gotta be one-liner in there somewhere including the words, "yo mamma".

Not from me...
Unkind words, shall never let them from my lips to fall. (Especially when people are watching for them!)

#55 NautiGirl

NautiGirl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,155 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

+1

get a life

And cats :) ;)

Seriously, I don't understand why people don't get it. I should probably just feel sorry for them. If they've never known the love most people have for their pets, they are really missing out on one of the great joys of life.

#56 scottmax

scottmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

I don't know if you have ever been through this before. Hope not because it is really tough. Okay, here's the real deal. You are obviously very attached to Barry. If you have a son and/or daughter, I would recommend that you take him/her (both) to the Vet with you. Their job is to make sure you are going to be okay after this is all over with. You need to be with Barry when the Vet puts him down. For some reason Barry will know that something bad is about to happen and he will really need you there at the end. You need to kiss him and talk to him right up to the very end. Believe me, he will know you are there and his love for you will never be stronger, or yours for him. When it is over, go ahead and just let it go. It helps. Have your son/daughter there with you. It really helps. Believe me you will need them.
Go home, have a few drinks and just remember all the good times you had with Barry. After 3 months or so, go get another Barry and start all over. I am a Black Lab lover and I'm on my third. Had two pure bred black labs and now have a Black Lab / Akita Mix. Saved him from the Pound. For some reason they seem to get better. His name is MONTY (my wife named him) and he is absolutely wonderful. He's our first boy dog, and he owns my wife and I.
So, what is the moral. This may not be the end. It may be the beginning. Save a Dog. It's definitely worth it.

Thanks opa that just about exactly what I did. My wife and I sat with him and he was at piece very quickly. The vets were great even brining in the tissue to wipe the dust from out eyes, dusty place those vets ;) , we already had a second dog and she is now almost 2 years old and Barry has been teaching her all of her good habits. I even watched him tell her off the other day for jumping the fence and getting out of the yard, either that or he was just jealous he could not longer jump the fence himself.
She is a good dog and it was sad to watch her look for him this morning going through every room. She has never been alone and will miss her mate.

#57 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

If they've never known the love most people have for their pets, they are really missing out on one of the great joys of life.

It's the most simple and unconditional love there is.

#58 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:47 AM

Thanks opa that just about exactly what I did. My wife and I sat with him and he was at piece very quickly. The vets were great even brining in the tissue to wipe the dust from out eyes, dusty place those vets ;) , we already had a second dog and she is now almost 2 years old and Barry has been teaching her all of her good habits. I even watched him tell her off the other day for jumping the fence and getting out of the yard, either that or he was just jealous he could not longer jump the fence himself.
She is a good dog and it was sad to watch her look for him this morning going through every room. She has never been alone and will miss her mate.

Scott you prolly oughta browse this for sec. http://forums.sailin...howtopic=132733

#59 grabbler

grabbler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
  • Interests:Drinking beer.
    Mowing.
    Drinking beer while mowing.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:06 AM

Thanks for pointing that out...re-evaluated my relations with humans this past weekend...spent part of it chasing squirrels with Hazel...realized just how overrated most human companionship is...Scott, Hazel and her and her five four legged family members send their love and support to you...sad times...

Posted Image

#60 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:49 AM

what breed is Hazel?

#61 Off Watch

Off Watch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Performance Sailboats
    Sailmaking
    Boatbuilding and Repair
    Offshore Sailing

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:44 AM

Started reading this thread this morning and had to quit after about four posts.

I am so sorry for your loss, there is no truer friend then a Dog and I really feel sorry for anyone that has never experienced it.

#62 dreadom

dreadom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

Just got back from taking our dog for a walk, he's only just turned one, is a loyal, cherished member of the family and has brought us so much joy in the short time he has been with us, In fact he is our daughter's favourite play thing. Terribly sad news mate, glad you could be there to help ease his suffering. Farewell Barry.

Can't believe some of the arseholes who troll here.

#63 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

and posts like this reinforce why I appreciate my dog.

#64 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,714 posts
  • Interests:Racing, diving, cycling, flying, pussy, shooting and any other action sports.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

I read some good advice here on SA, do not remember who wrote it.

He left when the vet put down his dog, said he should have stayed with him to the end.

We have a blue heeler too, when she's ready I want to stay with her to the end like that.

That might have been me. There was a similar discussion several years ago and I think I related this story. I had to put down my 1st GSD I ever had as an adult when she got old and cripled. I took her to the vet and stayed with her for a while they were prepping her on the table. I left because I didn't think I could take seeing her go down. But I regretted it the moment I got home and wished I ahd been there until the end to make sure she knew she wasn't alone an abandoned. I owed her that and I screwed that up.

The world would be such a better place if we had more of these good dogs and less of the scumbag humans running around out there.

#65 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,714 posts
  • Interests:Racing, diving, cycling, flying, pussy, shooting and any other action sports.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for pointing that out...re-evaluated my relations with humans this past weekend...spent part of it chasing squirrels with Hazel...realized just how overrated most human companionship is...
Posted Image

Yep.

ps - don't let jocal see her camo collar. He'll think your dog is a psycho gun nutter or something......

#66 grabbler

grabbler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
    Mowing.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

Thanks for pointing that out...re-evaluated my relations with humans this past weekend...spent part of it chasing squirrels with Hazel...realized just how overrated most human companionship is...
Posted Image

Yep.

ps - don't let jocal see her camo collar. He'll think your dog is a psycho gun nutter or something......

The reason we were chasing squirrels would tend to reinforce that opinion...

Stang she's a 3/4 Lab 1/4 Boykin mix...just a helluva hunting dog...

#67 Shibby

Shibby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,298 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:24 AM

I really believe letting them go when they get to that point is the greatest thank you we can give them after years of unconditional love and companionship.

I made that mistake with a beloved cat. He was wasting away from cancer. One day as he was feebly struggling to avoid eating the nutritional paste that the vet had given me and that I was force-feeding him, the lightbulb finally went on over my head, and I stopped short with "my God, what the hell am I doing to this poor creature?" I took him in to be put down the next day, and he really was nothing more than a bag of fur and a pulse. Next time around, (beloved dog this time), I was a little more attuned to her telling me it was time to call it quits. I held her favorite toy in front of her nose as she was getting the fatal injection, and she wagged her tail a couple of times before passing out. That ended up feeling a lot better; my grief was unmixed with guilt over having mishandled her end. 13 years that time: a good life and a long one for her breed.

+1

#68 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:35 AM

+1 indeed.

Does the whole world have a problem with mortality or is it just the U.S.?

#69 PBO

PBO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:40 AM

Think you need the re-evaluation tips cockhead

#70 titanuranus

titanuranus

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

they'rre facking dogs mate

think how many starving sub saharans you could feed with the money and food spent on dogs.

not to mention eating the dog itself.

#71 MKF

MKF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:High performance sport boats...<br /><br />And going even more radical!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

think how many starving sub saharans you could feed with the money and food spent on dogs.

Tit, funny enough most of us have the funds to do both. Now piss off and get a fucking life!

Hopefully when you cry out when your mommie dies we can tell you to HTF as she was old and going and adding no value to humanity as shown through your posts!

Mkf

#72 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,714 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

When a sub-saharan greets me at the door after work, comes and curls up at my feet, and chases frisbees...... I'll consider feeding them too.

#73 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,344 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

Posted Image

#74 titanuranus

titanuranus

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

When a sub-saharan greets me at the door after work, comes and curls up at my feet, and chases frisbees...... I'll consider feeding them too.

this coming from a guy who lives in a place where they have indoor snow ski resorts

#75 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,165 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

this coming from a guy who lives in a place where they have indoor snow ski resorts

Well they wouldn't be a lot of use outside would they? :wacko:

#76 dreadom

dreadom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:31 AM

Honestly mate, you are a trolling coward.

#77 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,205 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:31 AM

My best dog ever was my last Blue Heeler, Murphy...been two years, and still miss Murph.....

Murph and Harley

Posted Image

#78 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,714 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:43 AM

Posted Image

Road Trip

#79 scottmax

scottmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

Of course I am bias but I think Blueys are incredible smart, Barry and the new pup had/have a lot of instinct on what you want them to do and how to behave. Both dogs walk by my side with little or no need for a lead.
If I could get a hint on how to post a photo I will. Do I need to upload photos to a hosting site?

#80 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,502 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

Of course I am bias but I think Blueys are incredible smart, Barry and the new pup had/have a lot of instinct on what you want them to do and how to behave. Both dogs walk by my side with little or no need for a lead.
If I could get a hint on how to post a photo I will. Do I need to upload photos to a hosting site?

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?app=gallery has an upload button, but I have never used it so can't be of further help.

#81 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,205 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

Scott-

In General Anarchy, you'll have to upload to a hosting website and link the picture using the image feature. Click on the image emoticon and a window will open, then paste the image link.

Blueys are definitely smart and loyal dogs.....'bout time for me to get another as well.

#82 titanuranus

titanuranus

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

Thanks for pointing that out...re-evaluated my relations with humans this past weekend...spent part of it chasing squirrels with Hazel...realized just how overrated most human companionship is...Scott, Hazel and her and her five four legged family members send their love and support to you...sad times...

Posted Image

If you keep driving around with a fucking dog in the front seat neither of you will need to be put down

#83 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,205 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

#84 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,502 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

You can just click on the last link there and type in titanuranus or any other appropriate name to improve the forum experience for yourself.

#85 scottmax

scottmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

I'm trying this for the first time lets see how it goes.
This was Barry at about 7 years of age.
Posted Image

#86 grabbler

grabbler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
    Mowing.

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

Posted Image

If you keep driving around with a fucking dog in the front seat neither of you will need to be put down

Not a whole lotta options with a regular cab...guess I coulda let her ride in the back for 250 miles...or stuffed her behind the seat...

#87 elle

elle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,369 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

you can always ride her around op romney style :D....j/k.

scott....mine is a red heeler, "billy" rescued from harrison (auburn alabama) county animal shelter in 2006...he is about 9. love that sketchy fucker...
Posted Image

#88 elle

elle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,369 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

billy and xander at cosimo's in the french quarter.....they only had 2 in dog beers....
Posted Image

#89 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,205 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Not a whole lotta options with a regular cab...guess I coulda let her ride in the back for 250 miles...or stuffed her behind the seat...

Not to safe in back, seen a few bad things happen over the years with a dog in back....the front seat is perfectly fine....besides they enjoy the view better in front.

#90 ssi

ssi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

Only a person who has never owned a dog would say this. If you are a good owner the dog is unquestionably loyal to you. They are always happy to see you. They never argue with with you. They never steal from you. They follow you around and always want to be by your side. If you get into trouble the dog will always defend you. They will never judge you. Best anti theft device I have ever owned never as much as had a stranger in my yard while I have h,ad dogs.

Thanks for so aptly proving my point. You feed the dog, the dog loves you. Simple stuff. Now go try to have a human love you, dickhead.

#91 ssi

ssi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

If they've never known the love most people have for their pets, they are really missing out on one of the great joys of life.

As long as you feed them and are willing to pick their poop.

#92 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

Perfect, ssi. Please don't bring animals into your life. They don't deserve it.
Not kidding.

#93 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,205 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

Agreed!

#94 scottmax

scottmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

SSI it is cunt comments like above that prove why relations with pets are far more fulfilling than with humans.
Fuck off oxygen thief and learn some manners and respect

#95 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,336 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

I'm trying this for the first time lets see how it goes.
This was Barry at about 7 years of age.
Posted Image

Woah, uncanny. Looks like our bluetick coonhound - blue heeler mix ...

Posted Image

#96 Grrl Runnin the Pointy End

Grrl Runnin the Pointy End

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

Better not get yourself put into a nursing home.

#97 goob

goob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:35 AM

scott
sorry for your loss, I let my 17 year old shepard/rott mix go a year ago in august, and my 13 lab/dane mix exactly a year later. I still miss them both. At the time my wife was not sure about the sheppard, but sitting on the floor at the vet with her she looked relieved that the years of arthiritis pain were over. She had also lost about 20 pounds in 2 months so we know cancer kicked in. My lab was easier, cancer also kicked in very quickly so it was the right thing to do. The both walked into the vet with dignity, that is very important to me.

#98 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,336 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

I would have thought that before I had a dog.

Mine still seems to still love me even when we're on the trail when she's drank all of our water and there is no food. And she couldn't give a snot if I pick up her crap, I do that for me and the HOA.

I'm no expert on dogs and cats, but they're apparently not 100% animals, they seem to be part person, maybe they evolved into members of our families after so long? They seem to be able to offer and require emotions.

Or maybe we're still part animals and our ideas of love and generosity are vestiges from the animal part of our evolution?

I don't understand it, but I like it. 3:00 am and I can grab my keys to go to the Loaf 'n' Jug for an energy drink and she's right there man, she's in the truck and ready for action. How many humans can wake up from a deep sleep, shake their head in a "fuck it, I'll go" and be ready for mayhem like that, every single time without fail?

#99 chester

chester

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

Posted Image

strap a carrier to the roof?? sorry, couldn't resist.

P.S. I see Elle beat me to that joke

#100 the_abandoned_brane

the_abandoned_brane

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

I put my dog down saturday. breaks my heart. cancer was eating his bones. I knew it a while back, didnt want to admit it. but he stopped using one of his legs thursday. I held him as he died. always stay with them, they look for you.
goodbye seamus.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users