• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sjtstudios

Sjtstudios

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Lasers, 420s, melges 20, melges 24, melges 32, f16, f18,
    Weta, any keelboat, any fast skiff, windsurfing.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:42 AM

Hey guy, has anyone ever car topped a laser (hull only) and a windsurfer? My car is big enough for the masts and sails to fit in, but how do I mound the board and boat?

#2 Moonduster

Moonduster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:53 AM

This one is easy. Throw away the wind surfer and upgrade your life to a kite board; it fits in the trunk with the rest of your kit.

#3 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:25 AM

Hey guy, has anyone ever car topped a laser (hull only) and a windsurfer? My car is big enough for the masts and sails to fit in, but how do I mound the board and boat?

You may want to consider installing a roof rack by Thule or Yakima. I have a Formula board which is very wide and it has been working fine on a simple pair of cross bars. Now, when you add a laser hull, the beam is going to be as wide as the roof, depending on the car, which leaves only two options:

1) Get only the roof rack kit , sit the Laser and carefully sit the board on top (Upside down) with proper padding

or

2) Get the roof rack kit and had it retrofitted with welded posts sticking up where you can sit a second rack as close to the Laser hull as possible. This "second floor" should have some quick release pins.

On any case I don't think, you will find a "low drag/profile solution for both crafts on top.

Being a windsurfer myself, I would also consider keeping my Laser and having some Kite action.

#4 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

Posted Image

Ask this guy

#5 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

WTF??? LJ in the PL niiiiiiiice...... :)

#6 Pewit

Pewit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

Here's how I would do it based on my experience with a Laser and Windsurfer on top of a Fiat 127!

Roof Bars
Buy a pair of roof bars wider than the car.
Pad the length and end of the bars with pipe insulation - tie it in place with gaffer tape
Install the bars on the roof of the car making sure they are properly secured

Laser
Put the Laser alongside the car on it's trolley with the stern of the Laser in the middle of the bars
Put some padding on the ground under the stern of the Laser
Raise the nose of the Laser until it's vertical
Swivel the Laser so that the deck is facing the car with you between the car and the boat
Lower the Laser so it's resting on the ends of your roof bars (preferably without being between the car and boat!)
Lift the stern of the Laser so that it rests on the bars
Swivel the boat round until it's lined up with the car so that the bow line can be tied to the bumper/grille without touching the bonnet.
Use webbing luggage ties to tie the boat to the roof bars
Tie your protest flag to the stern of the boat if it's longer than the car.

Spars
Tie all the spars together using the lines attached to them
Use bungee cords (or more of the lines) to attach the spars to the bars alongside the boat on the offiside of the car (less likely to catch pedestrians that way)

Windsurfer
Depending on the shape of your board you could mount it on top or to the other side of the Laser
Take some of the spare pipe insulation (you did buy a few spares didn't you?) and lay it where the board is going to go.
Get some more webbing luggage ties and secure the board to the bars so that it's tight against the boat.

Securing the Boat to the car
Take the bow line and tie it to an anchor point at the front of the car (not something plastic) using a Trucker's Hitch,
Add another line to an anchor point at the rear of the car using the same knot
If you can, add another line from the inside the boat (e.g. the traveller or mainsheet) to the bars to stop the boat slipping forward (unless you're driving a racing car you're more likely to brake suddenly than accelerate fast).

Driving Tips
So save fuel, try to find a high vehicle (truck, van etc) that's travelling at the same speed as you and tuck in behind it - but with additional space between you and the vehicle so that you can stop with a heavy load.

Hope this helps

#7 Rum Runner

Rum Runner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

Whether you can carry both items on the roof top depends on what type of car you have. If you have a Honda Civic, forget it, but you can do it if you have a larger car.

#8 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

Simpler - pull along side a dumpster... Pull out the chainsaw, cut the laser into 6 pieces and place in the dumpster. Keep the windsurfer, and for what you would pay for 2 seasons of Laser sails, go buy a Kite and a board...You won't regret it

#9 bluelaser

bluelaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

Either the 96" Thule Crossbars(depending on the board this still may not be enough) and/or put the board in a "J-dock" style kayak carrier on the rack.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Laser, Windsurfer, Car topping

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users