6 replies to this topic

#1 Extreme40

Extreme40

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Sailing..

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

Hello, I ned some advice on a sturdy waterproof compass. The conditions on my Formula 40 Dragonfly can be extreme but the original bevelled compasses have proved to be up to the challenge. When it came time to replace them we opted for the KVH digital ones. Even though we have not pushed the limits of spray and water we found that the displays "fogged up" and became unreadable. We were losing one per outing. We would send them back to the manufacturer and the same would happen again to the new ones. We need to find a quality replacement that will "take it on the chin" and stand the test of time. Any suggestions?
Extreme 40

#2 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,369 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:31 AM

I have had good luck with the Tacktick Racemaster - in 10+ years I have only killed one on wet boats - pretty good track record

#3 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:20 AM

Hello, I ned some advice on a sturdy waterproof compass. The conditions on my Formula 40 Dragonfly can be extreme but the original bevelled compasses have proved to be up to the challenge. When it came time to replace them we opted for the KVH digital ones. Even though we have not pushed the limits of spray and water we found that the displays "fogged up" and became unreadable. We were losing one per outing. We would send them back to the manufacturer and the same would happen again to the new ones. We need to find a quality replacement that will "take it on the chin" and stand the test of time. Any suggestions?
Extreme 40

Nice ride.

For your type of boat, I think the ideal will be to have something similar to what is used on sportboats such as Melges, Vipers, VX's Opens' etc where they got tons of water, hit by the crew and either solar or AA powered. Simple to install and light.

As Christian mentioned, the Tacktick Racemaster T070 is a nice option because, due to it's triangular shape, if you mount it on a rotational mast your crew can read when the mast is turned. If you have a coaming where to mount it, then it is also good. The downside of it is that if you want to track SOG, the Race Master won't tell you that, neither will tell you hull speed unless you connect a thru hull and the transducer and now you will need battery and wiring or a solar panel.

I have not sailed on a Dragonfly 40, but it looks very fast, light and, at least I could not see many places where to install the compass to make it visible for driver and crew and is my guess that on a windy/splashy day, reading from the mast may be tough. That been said, for what you can buy one Racemaster you can get 2 Novasail (and still have some change) and you will get SOG, GPS heading and it has an MOB function, that I guess it might be helpful sailing for catamaran in open waters. The Novasail should be mounted near the driver's area to be able to read it.

Here are some specs of both instruments:

• Tacktick T070 Race Master (self standing tactical compass):

Posted Image
Features:
- No wires or connections to make
- Solar powered
- Twin displays with super-large digits
- Backlighting
- Totally waterproof (submersible to 10m)
- Shock resistant
- Lightweight
- Full calibration

Novasail NS100 Speed Compass:
Posted Image

Features:
- Speed accuracy: 0.1 knots
- Minimum speed: 0.5 knots
- Heading accuracy: 1°
- Heading resolution: 1°
- Display: 24 mm digit height, 120° view angle
- Dimensions: 125 mm x 80 mm x 26 mm
- Fully waterproof: 5 meters
- Weight including battery: 240 grams
- 1 AA battery: 36 hours

There is also the Velocitek ProStart and the Novasail NS360+ which have more tools added.

All the above will withstand very tough conditions. The decisions should be absed on the information you want to handle and the location of the instrument on the boat.

Feel free to drop me a note if you have any questions.

Rod

#4 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,369 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:34 AM

Rod

Does the Novasail have an actual compass or is it only a GPS derived COG?

#5 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:47 AM

Rod

It is a GPS based COG.

As per their own description: "Compass: The course over ground (heading in degrees) as measured by the GPS receiver is displayed. The sensitivity of the compass can be set to High / Medium / Low"

#6 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,369 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

Rod

It is a GPS based COG.

As per their own description: "Compass: The course over ground (heading in degrees) as measured by the GPS receiver is displayed. The sensitivity of the compass can be set to High / Medium / Low"

That's what I thought so it might very well NOT be what he is looking for

#7 FatimaRules

FatimaRules

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

They've got one with cog and magnetic, NS360 I think. Not sure there is another piece of kit on the market with Cog, Sog, Mag, Lat, long, distance to start, shift and a basic waypoint and course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users