12 replies to this topic

#1 Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

Im thinking of loading this on an Android (ICS) tablet as a backup/replacement to running Seaclear on the laptop.

Is anyone using it and how do you find it?

Cheers
HM

#2 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

It is certainly worth the price but the charts resize the lettering as you zoom is to a size that is always difficult to read regardless of the zoom level. Other than that, it is great. I am using an older version of the app but it is working on ICS and Jelly Bean. They sent me a file that I had to download and install because the version is old but apparently the new version has the same charts and same font issue.

Allen
L-36.com

#3 dan.donegan

dan.donegan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:multi-hulls

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

I have the new version on my Samsung galaxy. The text size still does not change when you zoom but they made the base font size a large enough font to begin with that you can read it more easily than the older version. I can see it okay without my reading glasses. It sucks getting old.

dan

#4 Trov„o

Trov„o

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,220 posts
  • Interests:sailing (pretty obvious, uhmm)preferentially on boats with more than one hull ;D

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

I have the new version on my Samsung galaxy. The text size still does not change when you zoom but they made the base font size a large enough font to begin with that you can read it more easily than the older version. I can see it okay without my reading glasses. It sucks getting old.

dan

dan

agreed. but it is still much better than the alternative. ;)

#5 FASTBOB

FASTBOB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

i have this App on my galaxy 10.1 it works fine but have tried to load it on my google nexus 7" and it will not work . Does anyone know when they will fix it I have been waiting for four months now without much response from NAVTRONICS . ANY SUGGESTIONS

#6 mjf55

mjf55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:51 AM

Try MX Mariner. The author is still active in its development: adding features and bug fixes. Fonts scale nicely. Only 7 dollars. Works great on my Nexus 7.

#7 peterchech

peterchech

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

I have navionics on my galaxy smart phone, and my iPad, used it exclusively on a cruise around block and back to nj, can't say enough good about it for $20 it costs. Even gives current and tides info, I love it.

#8 14s forever

14s forever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

I highly recommend Transas iSailor. It's tons more useable than the Navionics App. I bought both and used iSailor for the whole trip across the South Pacific.

The app is free and maps are between $10 to $40

#9 entropy

entropy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

I have the Navionics app and I love it. Granted, I don't do much heavy duty navigation on my phone, but I will fire it up and toss it in my little bag below. At the end of the day, can watch tracks ala Kattack and I suppose if it got wicked foggy, it could get us home. As much as anything, carrying a country's worth of charts on my phone is very, very cool.

#10 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:06 AM

i have been playing with bot the android and the ios versions.

i have to say - I think they kind of suck...

no GPX import? are they serious?

no ability to edit waypoints? I see in ios you can upgrade by buying a nav module, but it doesn't appear that the edit ability is there either. android doesn't appear to have the nav module upgrade.

so if you want to make a waypoint at a specific location, that doesn't have any particular feature, how do you do it?

#11 Strayned

Strayned

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:54 AM

so if you want to make a waypoint at a specific location, that doesn't have any particular feature, how do you do it?

Click the magnifying glass in the top corner, click lat/long bring up spot on map, then add to favourites, puts a pin in that spot.

#12 overdraft

overdraft

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:26 PM

dan

on my iphone you can enable an 'accessibility' (read 'old guy') feature where a double tap with three fingers will magnify what's on the screen, which helps with navionics and other apps with small fonts. I'm sure that the galaxy must have something similar because I'm constantly being told by my android friends that their phones are SO much better than my iphone :)

#13 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:59 PM

so I have the new "Navionics Boating" app on and android tablet, and on my ipad.

I have the HD version on my ipad, and the regular version on my android tablet

This is the new version of the app, where you buy the charts within the app, rather than buying the regions as different apps, which is how their old apps work

some of the features between the new apps and the old apps may not be the same.

Navionics recommends that if you are starting from scratch, you use their new app, so i did.

Android:

On the android, from within the Boating app, i purchased the USA marine and lakes charts.

I did find the waypoint creation tool accessed from the magnifying glass - thanks.

I still think the waypoint and route handling capabilities are poor. One thing is it seems that you can not create a route by selecting existing waypoints - either from a menu, or  graphically on the map itself. All you can do is graphically create a route by putting new waypoints near the existing waypoints you want to be in the route. 

i think most people want to make a route with precisely located waypoints, not locations kind of near their waypoints.

also not having GPX import for waypoints is a major fail

Also, I have heard that android apps might be very device-dependent, and this app doesn't work well on my device - a panasonic toughpad. the cross hairs usually, but not always, pop up in the middle of the screen, not where i tap with my finger, or the digitizer pen. deleted waypoints continue to get drawn, and the app sometimes gets stuck in route creation mode. I guess it's not fair to blame Navionics for this, as they say that only a few "official" devices are supported. i just mention it so that others might be aware of the issue.

Ipad

on the ipad with Navionics Boating HD, there is an option to install the free NOAA ENC charts - so I did

The ENC charts look great!

But the app has almost no functionality - waypoint and route handling is very poor on this app

if I use the magnifying glass on this app, it only asks me to buy charts, it does not bring up the wyapoint creation tool. 

so this app, with the ENC charts, does not appear to have a way to create a waypoint at an exact location. I will assume that with the navionics charts it does, and that the ENC charting is really just a demo app

just as with the android app, there does not appear to be any ability to create a route from previously saved waypoints - either from a menu, or graphically. you can only create a route by tapping as near as possible to your existing waypoints.

there does not appear to be any GPX import in this app either

for bot apps there is a "nav module" that you can buy. i did not find written a description of what this module does, but i did watch a video - it does not appear that it addresses any of the waypoint/route issues i mentioned above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users