• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:delete account

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

Rule 5 -- Lookout and Vendee Globe Race

INTERNATIONAL
INLAND
Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper lookout by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.
Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper lookout by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.

I see that the Vendee Globe organizers are being called to task over the crossing rule when it comes to TSS . I have a bigger issue with Rule 5. It would be advantageous for all parties concerned if the racers were equipped with RACON style transponders. That way ANY vessel with radar would trigger off the transponder and have a better chance of identifying a target. Even if the target is obliquely cutting the traffic lanes or in big sea's. To date one sailor did a smack daddy with a fish trawler. Not much discussion about penalties for having a poor look out. My $0.02

#2 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,836 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

http://www.marinetra...om=2&level1=140

Oh good lord!

It's not if, but when!

That is one crowded sea lane. Looks like the Malacca Strait or Macao/Hong Kong!

#3 imakebadjokes

imakebadjokes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Sailing Faster Than You

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

If they did have a RACON, what would the pattern be?
Morse code letters and anything that would be confused with a SART are out of the question.

#4 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,016 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

I don't think anyone disputes the need for TSS. I don't think anyone disputes that solo sailors absolutely cannot 100% comply with Rule 5. I think it's really the competitors who are being called to task, not the organizers, but that's splitting hares. Not sure your solution really makes a difference. If a fishing trawler is fishing, it's likely not paying attention to its radar - the onus as far as I'm concerned is on the racer. The penalty for having a poor lookout as near as I can tell is a damaged boat and withdrawal from the race - you would suggest that retiring isn't enough? Every single-hander and most double-handers (and a few fully crewed boats too - think LSC) have problems with the proper lookout issue. Most of the time it's not a problem - you know when you need to be vigilant and when 100% coverage is probably gaining you nothing. Please don't suggest that solo events should be made illegal - the penalty for violating the colregs should be enforced if the violation results in an incident. This all seems like a non-starter.

#5 stranded

stranded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:cruising, racing, inshore and offshore

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

not under command meets restricted in ability to maneuver

biggest wins !

#6 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

It would be advantageous for all parties concerned if the racers were equipped with RACON style transponders.

Well, Cap10ed, you might want to look at the Vendee rules.

These are extremely well equipped boats, including: AIS [AIS Emetteur/récepteur, actif et logiciel de visualisation des cibles AIS] AND active RTE's [Amplificateur d'Echo Radar (RTE) conforme aux nomes ISO 8729-2 : 2009 (9,2-9,5 GHz)] AND SART's [Transpondeur radar actif SART (fréq. 9,2-9,5 GHz)]

#7 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

You need to keep an efficient lookout by both sight and sound.
Sail safe

#8 stranded

stranded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:cruising, racing, inshore and offshore

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:41 AM

remember they put a stop to the 200 foot singlehanders long before ?

#9 duncan (the other one)

duncan (the other one)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:52 AM

rule5.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users