• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 crc1965

crc1965

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

I have located a mid 70s yngling for sale.

My intended use would be for daysailing and teaching my teenagers about sailing on a larger boat, and some solo sailing.

The boat appears sound, but needs some cosmetic work. I have sailed on Solings years and years ago and loved the feel of them. These look quite similar.

If anyone has comments on the boat (its sailing characteristics)....

weak spots I should look for in the boat, maintenance issues.......

ways to convert/modify it for daysailing (simple low cost stuff).....

other........ I would greatly appreciate it.

#2 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

I have located a mid 70s yngling for sale.

My intended use would be for daysailing and teaching my teenagers about sailing on a larger boat, and some solo sailing.

The boat appears sound, but needs some cosmetic work. I have sailed on Solings years and years ago and loved the feel of them. These look quite similar.

If anyone has comments on the boat (its sailing characteristics)....

weak spots I should look for in the boat, maintenance issues.......

ways to convert/modify it for daysailing (simple low cost stuff).....

other........ I would greatly appreciate it.

If its the one for sale in Alameda its seen a few miles. The Estuary is a perfect place to teach someone to sail.

#3 crc1965

crc1965

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

No, one in Washington State

#4 Pomme De Terre

Pomme De Terre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

Not a very good platform for teaching "big boat" sailing. Also wouldn't reccomend for ANYONE taller than 5'6" (unless you can actually touch your ankles to your ears).

#5 crc1965

crc1965

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

Tell me more. This is an older one with the lower cockpit sole. I would be teaching my teenagers and they are quite flexible. I don't remember it being that hard to get under the boom of the solling (granted that was years ago), and this doesn't seem that much different.

#6 OBW

OBW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

Not a very good platform for teaching "big boat" sailing. Also wouldn't reccomend for ANYONE taller than 5'6" (unless you can actually touch your ankles to your ears).

There was a 6ft 2in 65 year old man that sailed one around here and he did very well racing non spin phrf.

#7 Hammer

Hammer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

my suggestion would be to walk away from the Yngling unless there is a local fleet there.

Your kids will enjoy learning to sail on a boat that has a better layout. Somthing like a J22 or R22. Something with decent seating, the ability to have a motor (in case they get stuck in light air or bad weather... Also if they take to sailing "big" boats and want to start racing, getting them in an OD class is going to increase their learning curve.

my $0.02

#8 Icebear

Icebear

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

Sounds like an early one that predates the self-bailing cockpit. You might consider how it would handle swamping, and whether flotation is up to today's standards.

#9 crc1965

crc1965

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

Thanks all for comments and $0.02.

Yes it is pre self bailing cockpit. I would fix that with enough flotation to at least keep it from sinking.

What's so much better about the layout of a J22 ( I do like the idea of a OD class....but a boat like the J22 is about 5X as much).

A fair amount of time it will be just me enjoying it as a daysailor.

#10 AndreasE_NO

AndreasE_NO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

I have been spending some time in an Yngling (albeit in a club with 15 of them and one design starts). Converting from a deep cockpit to a shallow one is not expensive if you put in some elbow grease. Our club converted three boats and one of the crews had never done fiberglass work before.

In regards to training for big boat sailing I actually thing it is a good platform. If you are moving to a symmetric boat the spi on the Yngling has all the same controls as a boat up to 35feet and the only difference above that is the double sheet/guys on larger boats. Rig trim is also similar.

All that being said; the class is dying in my home club and all the OD people have shiftet to either J/80s or Melges24s and the boats are just used to represent the YC in the Nationals and for training of new club members.

A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users