#1 cercole

cercole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, skiing

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Hello All,
We are looking to get into another boat. We want a performance cruiser with the emphases on performance. We have looked at the J/109 and B36.7 and are wondering if there is anything else we should be looking at.

Some restrictions
36’ or less
Built after 2003
Cost less than $150,000
Be available in the north east USA
Have good light air performance
Draft under 6’ is a plus but not required
No multi hulls

We sail in the western long island sound and do a 12 day cruise each summer to points east. I do a lot of club racing and am looking to get into some distance racing as well.

I’m not really interested in getting a good older boat for $50k and putting another $XX+ into it. I just don’t have the gumption to go through it again.

Thanks.

#2 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,534 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:37 PM

You might be able to get a Santa Cruz 37 for close to your budget.

Fast boat - not rated well under IRC, but seems ok in PHRF

#3 wcnann

wcnann

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

I have the perfect suggestion for you but its a brand new boat and in the $200k's. Have you seen the Dufour 36 Performance? Here is the link: http://www.northstar.../dufour-36P.php. We have one in stock that we used as a dealer demo this past summer. We raced boat for boat against J/109's and won even though they owe her time. Give me a call if you're interested. 401-683-9200.

#4 Par Avion

Par Avion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Firefighting, sailing, beer.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:32 AM

I have to say, I like that suggestion:

#5 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,393 posts
  • Interests:walks on the beach,a good book,a good cry

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

X34(albeit right on the cusp of 150000 used)

#6 radicalmove

radicalmove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

New Salona 35 optimized by Jason Ker. All up new delivered
to US for right at $ 150K. Nice cruising platform. Has done
very well in Europe in IRC and ORCi.

#7 Wuffie

Wuffie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

Although we're not based in the NE, we had almost the same boat search parameters less than a couple of years ago. The only addition is that we wanted an assymetrical spinnaker on account of the liklihood that we would be sailing/racing with some experienced crew but more inexperienced crew. We purchased a Beneteau 10R and have been happy with it. It loves the light air but can be a handful in heavy air. We've also cruised the boat and, while not loaded with storage, it provides a decent (but not cushy) platform for cruising.

Others can argue with our analysis but this is the way we thought about our options -- The price was right but we ruled out the 36.7 because of the desire to have an assymetrical spinnaker. We liked the 109 but we couldn't find anything in our price range. The 105 was priced right but didn't provide enough room down below for the Mrs. The C&C 99 didn't perform as well as the 10R. The Jenneau 3200 was pricier than the 10R and didn't seem to be the same all-around performer. The Archambault 31 was interesting but there were none available used and I was worried about resale if the brand didn't sell well in the N.A. The Beneteau First 30 was brand new at the time and we weren't sure we wanted to be an early adopter. I'm sure there were other options but, at the time, these were the options we considered.

#8 walterbshaffer

walterbshaffer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts
  • Interests:Formerly Member No. 9720

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

You made the right choice.

We bought a 10R and every day I am happier & happier with it.

#9 daffyd

daffyd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:nothing interests me

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

I have a Benny 36.7 on the Chesapeake that might meet your needs. Its not currently for sale, but it could be. Price would certainly be well under what you are looking at. Boat is a 2003 shoal draft (5'11"), in really nice condition. New bottom and new #2 on the furler last year, new main on order for the spring...great for cruising as well as 3DL #1 and spinn for racing. Boat is comfortable for cruising and a competitive racer, particularly in light air . Drop me a line at justducky501@hotmail.com if you wish to discuss.

#10 cercole

cercole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

Hey, thanks for the good suggestions. Some of those boats I did not consider. The Dufor, Santa Cruz and X are probably out of our reach but you never know. I'll look into the Solona. Actually I've never heard of a Solona, reminds me of a Jeanneau.

I like the 10R but it's not quite cruisey enough. No vee berth. Aft cabins in the summer are just too hot. We spend a lot of time on a mooring and the vee berth is usually the coolest place on board.

#11 b6sfull

b6sfull

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

i understand that there is a nice 2005 36.7 for sale NE area for under 90k.....check yachtworld. This boat was listed well before Sandy arrived. Selling for health reasons etc......

#12 Mike P

Mike P

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:sailing skiing whiskey

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

I have a Hanse 370. PHRF is 108 so not a Bene 36.7. But a friend of mine who owned a 36.7 told me that he was happy that his wife did not see the interior of mine as she would have insisted on the Hanse. Easily sailed short handed even has self tacking jib (like some Dufours).
So they sail well and are quite confortable for the odd cruise when you need it.

#13 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts
  • Interests:The usual stuff.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

We have a 2006 367 that we race and two-up cruise. Not perfect but what is, and we love it. Nice couples boat. Did a 15 day cruise around Lake Superior and didn't want to come home. Honest, vice-free boat around the cans. Friends with 109 hate it when they look inside; much more cruise friendly than the 109.

Shoal draft boats available but that makes resale a bitch; OD rules give no allowance for the smaller draft and so its a non starter for OD racing.

There is another thread on this exact same topic; search and you'll find a lot more detail.

#14 vtsail

vtsail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

Pushing some of your criteria a bit, but a Farr 395 would be in a whole other league in terms of performance. A bit bigger than what you wanted and no where near the draft of 6' (try more like 8), but it fits the price range and is certainly a comfortable cruiser as well as a quick boat on the race course. We have handled the (large) A sail with two of us on deliverys in the past. This one is the one I sail on and is as well prepped a boat as you will find:
http://www.yachtworl...D/United-States

#15 alymatt

alymatt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:36 AM

Unless the boat has had the structural work done ( Farr 395 ) do not buy! A friend of a friend just bought one - shipped it across the country so was put on a trailor, when the boat was lifted off the air bags of the truck - it showed the indents of where she sat through the hull - the hull of the boat is as soft as a sponge!!!!

#16 Kent H

Kent H

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:00 AM

Farr 395 really!

Here is some of the reading that has been presented here:

Man those boats have been some of the best entertainment reading on this site. Google is your friend on this fine sailing yacht.

I race against a 395 every wednesday. Thye suffer in winds of 5 and under probably due to their non overlapping jib. A boat with a 155 head sail will womp it. IN winds over 7 in any direction or downwind in any winds it will hold its own. They race well under IRC and ORR. As for accommodations, small v birth but there is a door. The cabin/salon is nice with a nice amount of wood. they weigh 12750 lbs and draw 7"9". Aside from the structural issues, there are many more. I considered one last year. But when I saw the local boat hauled in the fall with 50 ft^2 of blisters I bailed. the blisters were very firm. They could not be depressed from outside the hull. I have heard that water goes from the bilge outwards to the outer laminate on these boats. Whatever the owner did nothing and the blisters were gone in the spring. This fall they were back. The blisters were about the size of a quarter and about 1/16" tall and about every 3-4 inches along what appeared to be the grid of the a core. these blisters definitely screwed the outer skin of the laminate. I contacted Stag Yachts last year which took the position that they have never heard of this issue. The aft cabin has open bunks.

The 395 for sale in the SA ads by 'Mike' was totally re-built and is in better than new condition. The sail inventory should be in excellent shape to get started with. I believe it may also have both shoal and deep draft keels.

In chosing this 395 you would hard pressed to find a better one.

They are probably all for sale.................
Just a piece of friendly advice: Most of the 395's have/had some problems - mostly detaching bulkheads and wet hull core issues. I have personally seen two boats getting fixed. One had the core replaced (from the outside from bow to keel and the other from bow to a few feet from the stern. The bill for the first one was about 125 boat units and the second was close to 200 boat units. Both managed to get insurance to pick up the bulk of the cost - but that is obviously not always going to be the case.

Need to get a very thorough survey done by a very good surveyor, who knows the 395 well.

I think that if you were to find a boat that needs the core repair you are looking at a repair bill (on top of the purchase price) that will put the total expense beyond what the boat is worth.
ipb.global.registerReputation( 'rep_post_3810202', { domLikeStripId: 'like_post_3810202', app: 'forums', type: 'pid', typeid: '3810202' }, parseInt('') );
These are just a few of the highlights ...Isn't there a Farr 395 where the actual bow did fall off? I am almost certain it was a Farr 395 that had some extreme structural failure.

The South African built boats ...if any were built might be an alternative.

#17 wildcats

wildcats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:53 AM

Check out a C&C 115. A little bigger than you noted, but a good boat to sail, and very comfortable on longer cruises.

#18 vtsail

vtsail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

It is true that most of the 395s have or had structural issues. The one I linked has had those taken care of. Any boat that is not taken care of will blister as you say, but this boat is well prepped and has the bottom taken care of. NO issues like those you speak of that I know of. And teh boats are a blast to sail....Even with just two up.

#19 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,686 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

It is true that most of the 395s have or had structural issues. The one I linked has had those taken care of. Any boat that is not taken care of will blister as you say, but this boat is well prepped and has the bottom taken care of. NO issues like those you speak of that I know of. And teh boats are a blast to sail....Even with just two up.

Actually my understanding of blisters after a long talk with a boat builder is that the quality of materials used in the hull layup is the #1 factor in blister control. #2 factor is keeping the bottom properly prepped for a full time in the water hull.

Neglected boats may or may not blister pending what materials were used to build the hull and how often the owner had the bottom cleaned vs painted etc.

#20 cercole

cercole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Hello All,
Just wanted to chime in and let you know where we are at. We looked at a few boats and decided on a 109. The problem with the 367 is it has too many sleeping cabins and not enough cockpit storage for sails and stuff. The forward head intrudes on the vee berth too much and that killed it for my wife. And dragging sails and stuff through the companionway all the time will get old fast. Other than that it was a good boat. We also liked the new First 35 the Dufour 36P and the X34 but they were all out of our price range.

Anyway we have an accepted offer on a 109 and are looking to have her surveyed soon. Thanks for all of the great help.

#21 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,999 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

Unless the boat has had the structural work done ( Farr 395 ) do not buy! A friend of a friend just bought one - shipped it across the country so was put on a trailor, when the boat was lifted off the air bags of the truck - it showed the indents of where she sat through the hull - the hull of the boat is as soft as a sponge!!!!

This is why you have a survey done before signing the check

#22 Rusty

Rusty

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

Congrats! Nice boat.

#23 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:48 AM

Hello All,
Just wanted to chime in and let you know where we are at. We looked at a few boats and decided on a 109. The problem with the 367 is it has too many sleeping cabins and not enough cockpit storage for sails and stuff. The forward head intrudes on the vee berth too much and that killed it for my wife. And dragging sails and stuff through the companionway all the time will get old fast. Other than that it was a good boat. We also liked the new First 35 the Dufour 36P and the X34 but they were all out of our price range.

Anyway we have an accepted offer on a 109 and are looking to have her surveyed soon. Thanks for all of the great help.

Quality choice.

If you are set on sleeping in the vee (with it's better headroom) that's a 367 killer. It's for kids, Napoleon, or sails only. Enjoy.

#24 X X-Yachter

X X-Yachter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:30 AM

Bene 36.7. Hands down best all round cruiser racer in that range. Tough fleet as one design. But for what you are looking for- the boat is perfect. Find a good one.

#25 jerryj2me

jerryj2me

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

I would like to keep this discussion alive - I am going to be looking for a similar beast, The one criteria I would change is that I am willing to go back to 1990.

Right now my sort of short list is:

Bene 36.7
Schock 35
J/109

That has a pretty broad range on price and age, I know.
A newer Schock (they made them up to 2001) can be had for $65K, The 36.7 will set me back about $90K, and the J/105 probably 150 boat dollars.

I am willing to go back to 1990-ish becaus e I don't mind fixing interior woodwork and things like that.

Presently unloading my First 38s5 for 1992 and the broker has commented that the boat is probably the cleanest he has ever seen something of that age.
So, making it nice is not a problem for me.

What else would you add to the list to look at?

The criteria discussed before still apply, 35-38 feet, racer-cruiser with an interior, not a stripped pure racer, good light wind boat
(So. Ca is poor for wind at times)
Something that points and goes to weather well, my shoal draft 38s5 is going because of the keel.

#26 Kent H

Kent H

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:08 AM

http://www.yachtworl...A/United-States

X-119 about 40 feet though

I do not know much about this model but it appears to have a newer engine and sail drive and old sails. Rates 42 New England PHRF. (a J120 will rate a 54 under New England PHRF)

Maybe a Sydney 38 - There has been one for sale in Chicago forever.

#27 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,393 posts
  • Interests:walks on the beach,a good book,a good cry

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

Aerodyne 38
Sydney 36

J35c

#28 Roleur

Roleur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Pacific Cup 2014

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

Aerodyne 38
Sydney 36

J35c

Aerodyne 38 was the first thing that came to mind. You can get a J/120 for less than a J/109. Several for sale in Cali right now.

#29 Peenstone

Peenstone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Biking, and safe, reliable, commercial nuclear power.

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

Several Aerodyn 38's on the market., Some hibernating for the winter. Great boats; fast, extremely seaworthy, modest cruising accomodations.

#30 Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

Farr 1020

#31 jerryj2me

jerryj2me

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

Aerodyne 38
Sydney 36

J35c

Aerodyne 38 was the first thing that came to mind. You can get a J/120 for less than a J/109. Several for sale in Cali right now.

J35C is a rare bird they only made a few of them. The X119 looks interesting, wasn't on my short list. The J120 might be better bang for the $ than the J109 considering its a few years older... The Aerodyne 38 I had looked at but whether one will be availalbe when I buy is a crap shoot.

Farr 1020? Hm, probably going to be impossible to find. I had considered the Farr 395, but have heard on this forum about all kinds of construction problems.

Considering I got to get rid of one boat before I jump off the cliff again, I want to get it down to short list while the sale of what I go is going on. Then I can make the jump depending on whats available.

Any other ideas?

#32 Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:47 AM

I think half of the fun of buying a 1020 is getting to sail it home from NZ to SD.

#33 walterbshaffer

walterbshaffer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts
  • Interests:Formerly Member No. 9720

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

The Aerodyne 38 I had looked at but whether one will be availalbe when I buy is a crap shoot.

Jerry, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I heard from several sources back when I was looking at 33-38'ers that the Aerodyne 38 was sticky in light air. Otherwise a great boat though. if you get one it will be the first in SD.

#34 jerryj2me

jerryj2me

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:08 AM

The Aerodyne 38 I had looked at but whether one will be availalbe when I buy is a crap shoot.

Jerry, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I heard from several sources back when I was looking at 33-38'ers that the Aerodyne 38 was sticky in light air. Otherwise a great boat though. if you get one it will be the first in SD.

Yes thats a huge concern here - I am looking for a good light air boat thats for sure. Our Beer Cans tend to be sailed in pancake smooth conditions as you very well know.
If it doesn't perform in light air and point to weather well, R&R'ing the boat is pointless.

Right now on the list:

Aerodyne 38
Sydney 36
X-119
Bene 36.7
Bene 40.7
Bene 10R
Schock 35
J/109
J/120

Huge price delta (160 to 30 boat dollars) but I can travel the distance on price if needed.

As you start to get up to 40 foot, (J/120 Bene 40.7) it satrts to get to be a little demanding on the crew.

If I stay under that a bit I can keep my assortment of blondes, brunettes and redheads that make for fun crew. :)
Otherwise I got to start building a crew of 20-something guys to grind. Boring! :)

The 10R interests me - Bene with a sprit system - let me know if you need crew, this winter,
I am trying to get water time on some of the boats I am considering.

(jerry@effectiveelectrons.com)

#35 BigSquid

BigSquid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:10 AM

If you sail under PHRF in light air and are looking to buy a cruiser/racer (ie heavy displacement) then I would reconsider the sprit. I just sold my 36.7 and raced it for 4 years on weeknights around the cans, at regattas around the buoys and offshore. Our boat was not particularly well sailed but did well against many of the boats youa re looking at. Never saw the transom of a 10R in any of these conditions. For around the cans in light air under PHRF the symmetrical kite is a huge bonus; square it up and sail deep while the J109s and 105s sail hotter angles with worse ratings. The 150% headsail and the fin keel helps get the boat upwind in light air. For offshore point to point or in heavier air the sprit boats makes sense but in the conditions you describe a well sailed 36.7 with 4-5 on the boat will finish uncorrected with the 109s and beat the 105s both of which will owe it time. First 30 forget it on windward leeward courses, not even close to a 36.7 boat for boat and for some reason have the same rating or worse. No backstay, small mainsail, twin rudders, massive immersed surface area, so many reasons it isn't right for light air buoy racing. The 36.7 is very sensitive to weight position, mast tuning, trim and fresh sails. The 395 is great but rates like a Farr40 and that's no fun, again, for displacement boats, the aso will struggle in light air against a boat with a pole. If you want a sport boat different story, but the boats you are looking at are heavy displacement cruiser/racer boats. But if you sail in light air under PHRF handicap I would check the results of your local fleets.

#36 alymatt

alymatt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:33 AM

Could not agree at all with the opinions of Big Squid! I have a C/C 110 with sprit and race frequently against J35 - Express 37 - 36.7 and in under 10 knots I own them off wind in round the cans racing! At 15 knots it levels off and they all beat me up sailed DDW.

In the light stuff every boat heats up and the A sails on say a 109 dominate a 36.7.........not even close at all!

#37 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:41 AM

If you sail under PHRF in light air and are looking to buy a cruiser/racer (ie heavy displacement) then I would reconsider the sprit. I just sold my 36.7 and raced it for 4 years on weeknights around the cans, at regattas around the buoys and offshore. Our boat was not particularly well sailed but did well against many of the boats youa re looking at. Never saw the transom of a 10R in any of these conditions. For around the cans in light air under PHRF the symmetrical kite is a huge bonus; square it up and sail deep while the J109s and 105s sail hotter angles with worse ratings. The 150% headsail and the fin keel helps get the boat upwind in light air. For offshore point to point or in heavier air the sprit boats makes sense but in the conditions you describe a well sailed 36.7 with 4-5 on the boat will finish uncorrected with the 109s and beat the 105s both of which will owe it time. First 30 forget it on windward leeward courses, not even close to a 36.7 boat for boat and for some reason have the same rating or worse. No backstay, small mainsail, twin rudders, massive immersed surface area, so many reasons it isn't right for light air buoy racing. The 36.7 is very sensitive to weight position, mast tuning, trim and fresh sails. The 395 is great but rates like a Farr40 and that's no fun, again, for displacement boats, the aso will struggle in light air against a boat with a pole. If you want a sport boat different story, but the boats you are looking at are heavy displacement cruiser/racer boats. But if you sail in light air under PHRF handicap I would check the results of your local fleets.

All true. Light? Go deep. 367 rules.

#38 BigSquid

BigSquid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:44 AM

4-6 knot point to point race couple of weeks ago: http://www.dryc.org/...-FINAL.HTM.aspx
more experienced crews and skippers with fresher sails and better prepared boats on the Js as this is my local fleet and the 36.7 still did well. Sprit makes for easier sailhandling and is great if your boat gets on a plane but in light air with a displacement boat on a windward leeward course with a boat that is penalized under PHRF your success with the C&C must be your skills as it doesn't pencil out that it is the boat that is giving you the advantage.

#39 alymatt

alymatt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:56 AM

Not miracles at all......the 367 has point on me upwind in most conditions but in a 4-6 knot downwind / offwind leg I can leave them for dead! I am no miracle worker at all but raced the 3 best in the pnw and in a leg roughly 5 miles long in a 6-8 knot breeze and put minutes on them all ( and they had some serious talented sail makers - boat designers aboard ) who say the same thing about the 367's. They all say it is a fabulous boat but one that suffers downwind in light stuff.

#40 BigSquid

BigSquid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:04 AM

Let's agree to disagree about manufacturers, etc... I don't even agree with you about wind speed. In Long Island and San Diego 6-8 knots isn't light stuff. The J boats are stiffer, lighter, less whetted area and have many other benefits. So let's compare Beneteaus to Beneteaus. The 36.7 is a far better light air PHRF boat around the cans than a 10R or First 30 primarily due to the pole rather than the sprit. Plus the fleets are stronger so for the next few years you can OD race it once in awhile and nothing beats that. I would be curious to hear from the 10R and First 30 owners that are leaving 36.7s for dead and would like to see race results.

#41 jerryj2me

jerryj2me

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

Not miracles at all......the 367 has point on me upwind in most conditions but in a 4-6 knot downwind / offwind leg I can leave them for dead! I am no miracle worker at all but raced the 3 best in the pnw and in a leg roughly 5 miles long in a 6-8 knot breeze and put minutes on them all ( and they had some serious talented sail makers - boat designers aboard ) who say the same thing about the 367's. They all say it is a fabulous boat but one that suffers downwind in light stuff.

How does your C&C 110 do in light air? As in sub 3 knots? Yeah, really light air!

THere's a C&C 110 in Santa Barbara for sail that look interesting so I gotta ask!

Besdies, looks like I am gonna get the old boat sold quicker than I had hoped for.
Got an offer, haggling over price.

#42 BigSquid

BigSquid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:51 AM

Looks like the one 36.7 in your fleet beat your C&C 110 in 3 of 5 buoy races and then lost to you by 3 mins. uncorrected on the point to point race (congrats on the silver) if I understand the regatta you referred to:
http://pointrobertsy...012/classic.pdf

#43 alymatt

alymatt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:27 AM

Ah yes that was the regatta and or rac that I referred to! Day 2 ( races 3-4-5 ) were sailed in 11-15tws straight 1 mile windward - leewards courses, where as I said, the sprit boat will struggle against the pole boat!

Raced yesterday 2 races in 4-6 tws windward - leewards and beat that same bene - both boats with very similar crews as last years races, by 8 minutes plus per race!

All that said, the 367 is an excellent boat - just one that I feel struggles off wind in light airs - under 8 knots!

My boat does ok in the 3 knot stuff! I am 3K heavier than the J's and Express 37's that make tacking against them tough!

The 110 is a tough boat to rate ( by that I mean there are so many variances to the design - 3 type of rigs - 5 type of keels ) that you really need to know what you are getting!

Oh and in case Big Squid you want to check out results of different type of boats - check out the Round Saltspring Island Race 2012.........conditions were light under 10 knots and lots of 0-2 knots to deal with!

#44 alymatt

alymatt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:35 AM

Ah yes that was the regatta and or rac that I referred to! Day 2 ( races 3-4-5 ) were sailed in 11-15tws straight 1 mile windward - leewards courses, where as I said, the sprit boat will struggle against the pole boat!

Raced yesterday 2 races in 4-6 tws windward - leewards and beat that same bene - both boats with very similar crews as last years races, by 8 minutes plus per race!

All that said, the 367 is an excellent boat - just one that I feel struggles off wind in light airs - under 8 knots!

My boat does ok in the 3 knot stuff! I am 3K heavier than the J's and Express 37's that make tacking against them tough!

The 110 is a tough boat to rate ( by that I mean there are so many variances to the design - 3 type of rigs - 5 type of keels ) that you really need to know what you are getting!

Oh and in case Big Squid you want to check out results of different type of boats - check out the Round Saltspring Island Race 2012.........conditions were light under 10 knots and lots of 0-2 knots to deal with! I beat 2 36.7's - 2 J35's - 2 J 36's - 2 Express 37's - 4 c/c 115's and a DH J 109 - no boat in my rating band that I would call a cruiser - racer beat me.

#45 jerryj2me

jerryj2me

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=2353431&ybw=&units=Feet&currency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=76263&url=

Take a peek at that - it's a strong possible being on the left coast and only halhway up the coast

#46 alymatt

alymatt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:47 AM

So my guess is that it has the 1st generation of the high lift 6'6" keel which was replaced modified by c/c in 2006 or so.

Boat has been listed for a while........much like many boats though.

#47 wcnann

wcnann

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

Jerry,

I have this 1999 Aerodyne 38 listed for sale here in New England. She is in very good shape with updated sails, etc. I just sold one that went from Rhode Island to Tacoma. Let me know if she is of interestt when the time is right.

http://www.yachtworl...ng_id=77605=

#48 Cakewalk

Cakewalk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Anything that flys

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

You monohull sailors have it so good,tons of boats to chose from (pun),killer interiors and great prices. I wish I had never sailed a multihull........ cause you can't go back! PS, Cats feel like your sailing a barge,trimarans feel like a monohull without the weight/heel,just saying

#49 jerryj2me

jerryj2me

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

Jerry,

I have this 1999 Aerodyne 38 listed for sale here in New England. She is in very good shape with updated sails, etc. I just sold one that went from Rhode Island to Tacoma. Let me know if she is of interestt when the time is right.

I had seen that on YW - so its a nice boat and all but the light air thing is a bit of an issue here. Also, about $12K to move across the country as I understand it. (talked to a trucker that moves boats and the YW estimates to ship seem to be off in never never land)

Hopefully I can find something between Seattle and San Diego.

You monohull sailors have it so good,tons of boats to chose from (pun),killer interiors and great prices. I wish I had never sailed a multihull........ cause you can't go back! PS, Cats feel like your sailing a barge,trimarans feel like a monohull without the weight/heel,just saying

Yeah and good luck finding a slip for it in this town!

#50 jerryj2me

jerryj2me

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

So my guess is that it has the 1st generation of the high lift 6'6" keel which was replaced modified by c/c in 2006 or so.

Boat has been listed for a while........much like many boats though.

Yeah not sure about that - but - good keel, carbon rig, sprit system, nicely done interior.
Would have to go l@@k it over with my own eyes. Anything out here is a Southwest flight to take a quick peek.
SD to SB is a bit of a drive, but no biggie.

#51 northbay

northbay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:29 AM

Why not an Olson 911? Save big money from the boats on your list. Competitive racer, comfortable cruiser. Not as much counter space as the other boats, but a large boat for 30'. The 911 has the amenities and livability of many boats in the 35' range, along with the performance. Excellent in light air, with an affordable sail plan, and YES I've bought an add.

#52 Sebyseb

Sebyseb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Rhum, roots reggae, chicks and not breaking boats.

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:27 AM

51 posts and no mention of the A35?

Has won everything under IRC and offers ample space for cruising (albeit rather minimalist inside).

#53 wcnann

wcnann

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

The Aerodyne doesn't have any light air issues that I have experienced. There is more than enough horsepower in that sail plan.

#54 jerryj2me

jerryj2me

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

still listening and looking, first offer on my boat fell through, so back in a holding pattern...

#55 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

Can you really get 36.7s for 5 figures? I'm surprised by that. Were they cheap to start with or is there just a lot of supply or what?

#56 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

Can you really get 36.7s for 5 figures? I'm surprised by that. Were they cheap to start with or is there just a lot of supply or what?

You are starting to fine the early ones in that range. Most of the later models with the new wheel and good sail inventories are above $115k.

#57 jerryj2me

jerryj2me

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

You are starting to fine the early ones in that range. Most of the later models with the new wheel and good sail inventories are above $115k.

90-120 are typical listings. The one I saw at the low end had been stripped of sails and canvas, as well as "ridden hard, put to bed wet" sort of treatment.

Anybody seen documentation of the changes year to year on the 36.7?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users