3 replies to this topic

#1 erdb

erdb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

Does anyone have experience with this line?

I found this on one of the companies' website that advertised recently on SA. I need to replace my spin sheets (23' Santana 2023R, masthead asymmetric) and I thought maybe 1/4" of this line would work.

It's double-braid with a multi-filament polypropylene cover and spectra+multi-filament polypropylene blended core.

Thanks.

#2 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:59 AM

Erdb,

I am surprised nobody has posted anything about your question. Probably the product is quite new on the market. Not sure. I have visited the site and saw the line and detils and looks quite nice and adequate. Have you talked to them? I know them and they are very helpful and reliable. I suggest you give them a call and find out.

The construction and materials sound right. It seems to be similar to our Marlow Excel Fusion 75 which has a smaller DSK-75 core on a polypropylene blended core, making very light, non water absorbent and very good in the hand.

My only observation on this types of lines is to keep an eye on the size: if you do some sort or distance race or triangles where reaching is involved, the 6mm will stretch a bit when working as the guy. If it is all windward / leeward you might get going with the 6mm.

Hope this helps.

#3 markvannote

markvannote

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

We do stock this rope in 5/16" which we use for J-24 and J-22 spin sheets from time to time. It is similar to Yale Lite from back in the day; maybe not quite as knobby without the polyolefin braided into the cover. The core is fairly small for the finished diameter but not as small as New England's Flight Line. I have not used it personally. I have not had any direct feedback either good or bad. As with any polypro covered rope it will get hard to handle over time. Otherwise it should be in the same ballpark as the others i mentioned above.

Thanks.
Mark

#4 erdb

erdb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:48 AM

Thanks, I decided to try it and ordered it, will see how it works. I noticed that it's similar to Excel fusion 75 and flight line I was just curious about any quality issues (the price was a little too good :) ).

I'll use it primarily for an asymmetric and I have a smaller symmetric for DDW in strong winds. I don't think the stretch will be an issue.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users