#1 readyabout82

readyabout82

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:boots with the furrrrrr

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:47 AM

Answer me this, Anarchists: how can an awards ceremony take place while protest litigation is still in progress? Perhaps it's the hair dye, but nonetheless I'm confused...

#2 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,334 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:41 AM

Answer me this, Anarchists: how can an awards ceremony take place while protest litigation is still in progress? Perhaps it's the hair dye, but nonetheless I'm confused...

When ya run out of Food it's time to do the dishes B)

#3 Grinder

Grinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,569 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

How do you have an awards ceremony where you can't hear the presenter?

#4 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts
  • Interests:scallop mining and rudder fairing
    stair falling book cover mending

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

it's Hot Rum...who cares about throw away trophies

#5 ExOmo

ExOmo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

There was an awards ceremony?

#6 Jetsam

Jetsam

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

They went the wrong way completely!

#7 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

How do you have an awards ceremony where you can't hear the presenter?

Or not have any awards?

#8 Jetsam

Jetsam

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

The results have been corrected.

#9 dolphinmaster

dolphinmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:17 AM

Looks like the Ed spanked a pretty good smattering of boats. Tiger haters probably should schedule a few extra sessions with their therapists so they can heal up.

#10 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,334 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:29 AM

Looks like the Ed spanked a pretty good smattering of boats. Tiger haters probably should schedule a few extra sessions with their therapists so they can heal up.

it was in the cards

with one race almost dieing off with many boats not finishing = Favors the FT-10m's

and another 2 with Fresh Breez all the way around = Favors the FT-10m's

The Over ALL Winner = BOB PERRY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok I got to go read about this over in SkuttleButt - I think CL interviewed Scot breifly after the awards :rolleyes:

#11 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:55 AM

that is funny. big ebb tide does not help us against the big boats, nor does breeze reaching or upwind. light air, yes and we got the one light air race that we needed. through dumb luck sometimes, you have to simply be in the right position a lot of times in this series and we, for the most part were. honestly this one felt really good. not even craig lackey could ruin it, but i will say he was one step away from ending up on his ass....

#12 SR CHIEF (RET)

SR CHIEF (RET)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:38 AM

awesome !!!

#13 dolphinmaster

dolphinmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:09 AM

Bob, your pencil to fiberglass is receiving some accolades here. I helped, kinda like burger helper.

Can you pop over to why is an SR21 so fast and help out a little. Minor skirmishes, but I need a little insight that only someone who understands why the FT-10 can outsail so many good boats can offer. What is it that makes the FT-10 excel in the ways that it does? How far back does the FT-10 genealogy go? Where did it's attributes of excellence come from?

Thanks,

Rick

#14 Hank

Hank

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:18 AM

From SDYC Web site WTF!..

"There was an incident on the start line for two of the three sleds ( Bud, and Condor). Afterwards, the protest committee disqualified both of them. Unfortunately, this decision wasn’t reached until after the awards had been handed out and everyone had left, and it changed the results a fair bit."

A fair bit, to say the least, WTF . The awards presentation should be when the results are accurate!..SDYC ?? mmmmm??

#15 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,334 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:27 AM

that is funny. big ebb tide does not help us against the big boats, nor does breeze reaching or upwind. light air, yes and we got the one light air race that we needed. through dumb luck sometimes, you have to simply be in the right position a lot of times in this series and we, for the most part were. honestly this one felt really good. not even craig lackey could ruin it, but i will say he was one step away from ending up on his ass....

From SDYC Web site WTF!..There was an incident on the start line for two of the three sleds ( Bud, and Condor). Afterwards, the protest committee disqualified both of them. Unfortunately, this decision wasn’t reached until after the awards had been handed out and everyone had left, and it changed the results a fair bit.

A fair bit, to say the least, WTF ...SDYC ?? mmmmm??

Did they mention running out of food ??

Guess they will send santa around to trade down/up teh WIN-SWAG

Would You give back your Rum Bottle a few daz later ?? (IF ya got one+we know ya didn't)

and if so in what condition ??

#16 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,848 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:40 AM

From SDYC Web site WTF!..

"There was an incident on the start line for two of the three sleds ( Bud, and Condor). Afterwards, the protest committee disqualified both of them. Unfortunately, this decision wasn’t reached until after the awards had been handed out and everyone had left, and it changed the results a fair bit."

A fair bit, to say the least, WTF . The awards presentation should be when the results are accurate!..SDYC ?? mmmmm??

Get over it Hank.

Race Committees make quick decisions all the time. Some of them are the right call, some not so much. In the end, it's a bunch of bozos -- just like us -- trying to provide good entertainment and sport for us all.

What were they supposed to do? Keep everyone drinkin' at the club bar until 9:00 pm?

Ain't nobody got time for dat!
Posted Image

#17 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,848 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:07 AM

in what condition ??

Empty.

Duh.

#18 JRC808

JRC808

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:59 AM

Hey Dennis did you get any pictures of the bud/condor fuckup from today?

#19 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,334 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:34 AM

Hey Dennis did you get any pictures of the bud/condor fuckup from today?

I was kickin it outside long before their start

or no I missed it

saw sum fun at the 2nd mark w a Clown driving where it didn't fit

And Yelled at everyone else (oh shife now everyone knows who I mean) as expected

Great Vid of 2 Freight Trains RIPPIN to the Finish = ALL POWERED-DUP

#20 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts
  • Interests:scallop mining and rudder fairing
    stair falling book cover mending

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:43 AM

Lindy is a nice guy but I bet Graham let Bud have it

#21 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,334 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

Hot Rum Series Comes to a Finish
By JaredW on December 02, 2012

Results - Photo Gallery

The last major SDYC racing event came to a close on the first day of December with the final of 3 races in the Hot Rum Series. The fleet of 130 (entered) boats in 6 classes enjoyed great conditions on the 11.9 nm starting and finishing in San Diego Bay.
The three race Hot Rum series came to a close on the first day of December with Scot Tempesta on his Flying Tiger 10m “Anarchy” finishing on top of the 130 boat fleet. Competitors enjoyed sunny and warm ‘winter’ sailing conditions around the 11.9 miles random leg, pursuit race course located off Point Loma.
Race 1 was simple enough with nice sun and a great wind, and the usual inquisitions and opinions over ratings. The conditions favored the smaller sport boats and the early finish line looked a little like a J/105 regatta. But you know what they say about the Hot Rum, one nice day, one light day.
…And so we had our light day for Race 2. Sunny, yes, but very light winds. There was enough breeze (6+ knots) to whisk everyone out to the half-way mark in the Roads, but the wind evaporated from there. The larger boats, that have 50+ feet of mast and sail up in the air, managed to make enough breeze to ghost to the finish. A last little puff of wind just before the 1600 deadline brought the front of the other five fleets to the finish, but in total, only 57 of the registered 130 boats finished. Several boats received ratings adjustments that reduced their handicaps (estimated their speed faster) at the start of Race 2, and after a protest hearing, those boats were given redress (RDG) of a time credit for that race and their ratings were returned to those posted for Race 1. The redress did not change any of the results.
And the last part of the saying about the weather for the Hot Rum says ‘…one stormy day…” But despite the low clouds and rain through the night, a really nice day popped out of the clouds around 10 am. At noon, fluffy white clouds with 10+ knots of wind got the race going in perfect Hot Rum conditions.
There was an incident on the start line for two of the three sleds ( Bud, and Condor). Afterwards, the protest committee disqualified both of them. Unfortunately, this decision wasn’t reached until after the awards had been handed out and everyone had left, and it changed the results a fair bit.
Prior to the protest hearing, in a really close race for overall winner, Dennis Conner on Stars & Stripes was winning a tie breaker with Scot Tempesta on Anarchy at 34 points each. But after the protest, Anarchy moved up one point, while Stars and Stripes, finishing ahead of Bud in the last race, had no adjustment. Thus, Anarchy finished with 33 pts to Stars and Stripes 34 pts to win the 2012 Sinnhoffer Hot Rum Series and their Class 2. Congratulations to Scot Tempesta and his Anarchy crew. Congratulations also go out to Dennis Conner/Stars and Stripes who were still the winner of their Class 1, to Sharon and Dennis Case/Wings for winning Class 3 (5th overall), to Bruce Cooper in the new J/70 for winning Class 4 (20th overall), to David Basham/Cimarron for winning Class 5 (13th overall), and to Maddie Phelps and family / Windswept for winning Class 6.
And thanks to Mount Gay Rum and San Diego Yacht Club, and the Race Committee for their support of this hallmark event. See you next year (Nov. 9, 23, Dec. 7).
On January 1st, SDYC will host the annual New Years Day Race and invite all Hot Rum sailors to join the free and fun race.

WELL - we Just got about 3-4 weeks left of the 2012 Racing Season

Then aint Shife happening till the start of the 2013 Racing Season = JAN 1st - SDYC NYD Race

It Soo Sucks out here so Don't even Think about moving to DAGO B)

#22 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,458 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

Dolphin:
I just typed out a long explanation for you and then it got lost. Give me a while and I'll post some ideas on why the FT10m is fast.
Keep in mind this was a SA group design efort. I had a lot of help with this design. In that respect the design is unique.

Also don't underestimate Scot's ability to sail the boat very well.

Where are the Tiger Haters when the Tiger wins?

#23 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,458 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

Dolphin:
I'm no scientist designer. I design by my eye and the seat of my pants. But in doing the reviews for SAILING magazine for 35 years I have been lucky to have the chance to look hard at a lot of boats.The seat of my pants is honed to a sharp edge. There was no "lineage" to this design. It simply grew out of a quest for speed combined with container size restrictions. I analyzed no other boats during the design process. I trusted my eye and the willingness of the SA group to call BS when they saw it. Keep in mind that part of the make up of any successful designer is that genetic ability to be certain that "I can do it better". Without that, call it what you will, "arrogance", "confidence", "balls", it would be impossible to draw the first line.

The Ft10m was designed to fit in a container so it is a narrow boat. The bilges have a fairly hard turn and the entry is very fine. But narrow may be the key element.

One thing I have always wondered about but I have never mentioned here before is the bow and entry. As I originally drew the 10m there was about 12 degrees of rake to the bow. The SA crowd would not stand for that and demanded a plumb stem. I altered the bow to conform to their wishes. At this stage the hull plug was almost built and the bow profile change required that I alter the first 4 mold stations so the profile could be faired into the existing hull shape. When I got to Xiamen to work on the deck plug I noticed the entry on the hull plug looked wrong. I explained to Jeff, Bill's man at the yard, that this needed to be changed and I gave carefull instructions on how to do it. I wanted this done while I was there so I could give it my blessing. As the days went by nothing was done on the plug. I finally threw a tantrum and demanded it be done before I left. Nothing was done. It was clear to me that while they had altered the bow profile they had not altered the forward mold frames as required to get the fair transition I was looking for. It was never changed and that is why you see that extreme hollow in the entry of the Ft10m.

So I sit here and wonder, is the boat fast because of that bow shape? I can't take credit for it.
Or, would the boat have been faster with my revised bow and forward sections? I think so and I could take credit for that. Now I won't know.

But again, I credit the intense SA group effort on the design for the boat's speed.
And of course you can't underestimate the luck element in getting the boats into the hands of some very capable sailors.

#24 notallthere

notallthere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,648 posts
  • Interests:any sport that starts with S

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

Dolphin:
I'm no scientist designer. I design by my eye and the seat of my pants. But in doing the reviews for SAILING magazine for 35 years I have been lucky to have the chance to look hard at a lot of boats.The seat of my pants is honed to a sharp edge. There was no "lineage" to this design. It simply grew out of a quest for speed combined with container size restrictions. I analyzed no other boats during the design process. I trusted my eye and the willingness of the SA group to call BS when they saw it. Keep in mind that part of the make up of any successful designer is that genetic ability to be certain that "I can do it better". Without that, call it what you will, "arrogance", "confidence", "balls", it would be impossible to draw the first line.

The Ft10m was designed to fit in a container so it is a narrow boat. The bilges have a fairly hard turn and the entry is very fine. But narrow may be the key element.

One thing I have always wondered about but I have never mentioned here before is the bow and entry. As I originally drew the 10m there was about 12 degrees of rake to the bow. The SA crowd would not stand for that and demanded a plumb stem. I altered the bow to conform to their wishes. At this stage the hull plug was almost built and the bow profile change required that I alter the first 4 mold stations so the profile could be faired into the existing hull shape. When I got to Xiamen to work on the deck plug I noticed the entry on the hull plug looked wrong. I explained to Jeff, Bill's man at the yard, that this needed to be changed and I gave carefull instructions on how to do it. I wanted this done while I was there so I could give it my blessing. As the days went by nothing was done on the plug. I finally threw a tantrum and demanded it be done before I left. Nothing was done. It was clear to me that while they had altered the bow profile they had not altered the forward mold frames as required to get the fair transition I was looking for. It was never changed and that is why you see that extreme hollow in the entry of the Ft10m.

So I sit here and wonder, is the boat fast because of that bow shape? I can't take credit for it.
Or, would the boat have been faster with my revised bow and forward sections? I think so and I could take credit for that. Now I won't know.

But again, I credit the intense SA group effort on the design for the boat's speed.
And of course you can't underestimate the luck element in getting the boats into the hands of some very capable sailors.

A very interesting story! I always wondered a little about the bow shape...

Agree that the narrow beam and slab sides work very well in So Cal conditions

#25 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,334 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

Dolphin:
I just typed out a long explanation for you and then it got lost. Give me a while and I'll post some ideas on why the FT10m is fast.
Keep in mind this was a SA group design efort. I had a lot of help with this design. In that respect the design is unique.

Also don't underestimate Scot's ability to sail the boat very well.

Where are the Tiger Haters when the Tiger wins?

I can tell you why the FT-10m is sooo Faaaaaasssssssttttt

1st off it likes a Breeze and it really likes a lack of Breeze, Excelling Reguardless

when the Sea State is Flat - It Flat Out Hops up on a Plane and Flys

When the Sea turns into Big Chop - It makes Chop Suey and Hauls Arse

A Bit is the Character of those drawn into the Class

The FT-10m Fleet Races Aggressively Using Skill (Not Ass-Clown Barging etc)

As someone who was there for the "First Race of a FT-10m" and who continues to cover the FT-10m Events in DAGO

I can tell you This Class is Close with Intense racing where a Boat can come in 1st in one race and Last in the next

In a Mixed Fleet the FT-10m rides in the Passing Lane putting High $$$$$ Rides to Shame

The ONE Thing I have noticed the FT-10m Fleet all has in common "THEY ARE OUT HAVING FUN" And are HAPPY !!!

You can't beat a Ride with a Low Co$t Buy-In and Performance Beyond Rides costing 2 - 3X as much

Even Scot who has said he was Over the Racing

Can go out and Just get SUCKED Into Flooring the FUN Throttle for a 1st overALL (Just like he did the NOOD :o :lol: :lol: :lol: )

The FT-10m has the Legs if you're good with the Strings & Sticks (helps to know your way around the Track too)

#26 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,458 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

Here are my final lines for the FT10m.
If you look carefully you will see that my bow was not the one they built. Not that I have any problem with the factory's bow. It seems to work well. It's just not what I had designed.
But now that I go back and look at it, it is pretty close.

Attached Files

#27 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,334 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

I'll start a thread later but till then if ya wanna see sum --> Race # 03 PIX

#28 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,458 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

Many thanks Woody. Glad that you understand.
The Ft10m walks the walk.

#29 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,334 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

All settled in to get sum Hot Rum Pix

©redit Dal

Posted Image

#30 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,479 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

Belated congratulations to The Ed - well done, - even in a series with a fair bit of uncertainty, a good result is product of doing SOMETHING right, more often than your competition.

Did DC drop the trophy off at the Palatial SA Headquarters building, or did you get an empty, finger smudged bottle of rum and a John Bultarsky "Sorry, heh." ? ( Animal House guitar-smashing scene )

Good stuff - and we KNOW if it had gone the other way it'd make for a story too...

#31 SR CHIEF (RET)

SR CHIEF (RET)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:19 AM

Great job Ed.! Huge for those of us who were in the beginning... You won bro! Need a report of the post awards ceremony. Would have enjoyed to see the lreactions from BN and LB... hahaha :D

#32 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,334 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:47 AM

Great job Ed.! Huge for those of us who were in the beginning... You won bro! Need a report of the post awards ceremony. Would have enjoyed to see the lreactions from BN and LB... hahaha :D

You'd be HAPPY to pay Handsomely to watch what took place just after my brining up the fact that I "Did NOT" have me Kamera

Had I had me HDVideoKam wit me an runnin - The FT-PG would be streamin Much Hissing and Scratchin (but there was no Kam so all waz Kool)

There is Sooo much entertainment in these Forums

YET it ALL "Pales in Comparison" to to being in DAGO to watch the Squid hit the Fan in the 1st person :o

SRCRT you didn't actually miss anything (yet Not by Much)

You Have NEVER gone to an After Major Race Party til you go and show up Late & Sober ;)

That's when you get to see All the FUN Stuff happen (or Not) :rolleyes:

End of Subject - Other than "Facking Great Job Scot"

course now ya gutta deduct the value of another 1'st place Over-All event from the value of your ride :blink:

Who TF wants a Ride that wins all the time ???

#33 dolphinmaster

dolphinmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:49 AM

Dolphin:

Thanks Bob. That's what I'm talking about, real insight, much appreciated and pushes the 10 further up my gotta have scale when funding returns.

#34 SR CHIEF (RET)

SR CHIEF (RET)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:30 AM

Mucho congrats Bob Perry!!!! Anarchy is clearly a well sailed boat, so is Stars and Stripes, DC has to be a fan!

#35 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,458 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:42 AM

Great balls of fire!
Many thanks you guys.
I am old but I do know boats.
I have a lot of great boats left in me waiting to bust out.

#36 dal

dal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:photography

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:41 AM

Couple of DC I shot while waiting for HMS Surprise
cheers Dal

Attached Files

#37 kmcfast

kmcfast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

If you look carefully you will see that my bow was not the one they built. Not that I have any problem with the factory's bow. It seems to work well. It's just not what I had designed.

Good thread on hollow bow waterlines....
http://www.boatdesig...ines-42701.html
It's called Naval Architecture I call it a black art.
Boats are like women, referred to in the feminine "she was fast today" only those gifted like Bob can truly understand their ways.

#38 Tanton Yacht Design

Tanton Yacht Design

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Interests:To Never Quit.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

Attached File  VelosSDycKjeld.png   254.92K   10 downloads
Suspense of the finish between Velos and DC.
www.tantonyachtdesign.blogspot.com

#39 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,848 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

Good thread on hollow bow waterlines....
http://www.boatdesig...ines-42701.html
It's called Naval Architecture I call it a black art.
Boats are like women, referred to in the feminine "she was fast today" only those gifted like Bob can truly understand their ways.

Well this debate has been going on for a while!

When the awesome Lightning was delivered to Liverpool to make the Australian runs for James Baines's Black Ball Line, the English were still stuck in their old-school bluff bow way of thinking (which, by the way, was really just a hold-over from the way merchant ships were taxed and NOT a true design consideratio. But seeing as it had been in place for, oh... 3,000 years or so, people forgot the roots of the design feature and continued the tradition of full ends because "that's how you build ships." ) To quote an article:

After arriving in England, Lightning's hollow bow was ignorantly filled in by her captain Anthony Enright. McKay called the people who did it "the wood butchers of Liverpool". When the famous James "Bully" Forbes became her captain, he drove her mercilessly, often running with the lee rail underwater, and the fillings soon washed out. Lightning began to set records. For example: she crossed from New York to Liverpool in 13 days, 19 ½ hours, she sailed 436 miles (702 km) in 24 hours, doing 18 to 18 ½ knots. In 1854–55, she made the passage from Melbourne to Liverpool in 65 days, completing a circumnavigation of the world in 5 months, 9 days, which included 20 days spent in port.

What is omitted in that citation was the fact that Lightning's performance under Enright was unremarkable and the English were scoffing the 'so called" superior ship moulds from America. The underlined part hints of that fact. McKay and Pook pretty much pioneered fine entry. And in the "nothing is new" category, you can spot what I consider true clippers by two easily recognized characteristics:
  • The rigs are moved well aft of the bow. In order to keep the fine bows from submarining, the leverage of the rig was moved aft. (Volvo boats, Vendee boats, sleds? mmmm?...)
  • One-piece topsails. To make sail handling easier on ships which were becoming larger at the same time as experienced crews were becoming more scarce, the last of the clippers (evolving from the 'extreme' clippers to the 'medium' clippers like Cutty Sark) tops'ls were split into lower and upper tops'ls at no small sacrifice in speed! :( Pussies! But commercial sail was in its twilight by then, anyway...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users