41 replies to this topic

#1 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

Is this the new way of doing things? Looks like and old piver in the opening sequence, sad end!

http://youtu.be/unaFyRs9alM

#2 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,436 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:38 AM

Sure looks a lot better than the chainsaw method.

#3 solar

solar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

That's pretty impressive.

#4 JaredC

JaredC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

Can they send that thing to Charleston for a few days? We call our mooring field the "floating trailer park", but it's not really accurate as they keep going from "floating" to "not floating".

Side note, that is a shit-ton of fiberglass dust. Itch itch.

#5 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,796 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:36 AM

..........boat snuff movies :blink:

....................I don't know about you,,,but I could hear it .......scream!!!! :huh: :huh: :huh:

#6 Varan

Varan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:54 AM

Dancing with death. Bet the Cohen bros could have fun with that shredder.

#7 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,394 posts
  • Interests:sailing. Duh.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:54 AM

wouldn't it be easier to remove the throttles, and hardware before shredding? On do they just use a magnet afterward?

#8 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,403 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:09 AM

My first thought too.

Another method, the dump-struction:

#9 12 metre

12 metre

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:20 AM

What impressed me most was it shows just how much the deck adds to the rigidity of the boat. Look at that power boat as it's getting chewed up. Once the deck is off, the hull flops around like it is made of cardboard.

#10 JaredC

JaredC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:20 AM

Is that a J22? How bad does a J22 have to get before it's crush-worthy? Those things are tanks.

#11 12 metre

12 metre

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:33 AM

From the shape of the cabin, it looks more like a J-30 to me.

#12 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,948 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:34 AM

We have been taking about a boat a week to the dump for the last six months. the keels and masts get recycled. The pulpits, stanchions, winches, tracks and useful looking fittings go in a pile.

The big front end loader and bulldozer machinery at the dump smashes the remains to smithereens and they bury the remaining crap.

The way I see it, teh best thing we could do for sailing would be to get rid of all those old shitty boats we replaced thirty years ago with "new stuff" like J-24s and Merit 25s and then replaced again with the sportboats. Once emptied of old horrible things that don't race, our clubs and marinas would have plenty of space for teh next big thing and the folks who would show up with the new toys would be welcomed to help pay for our facilities and as their boats are gonna be new...the new blood would actually go play as opposed to whining about how nobody does anymore.

EWvery time I drag an old piece of shit out to the dump, it gets rep;laced in the slip by a new boat with an active owner.

There are fifty more boats at AYC I would LOVE to yank out and recycle...it would be a great thing for everybody ...especially they old farts who have been paying slip rent and insurance on old garbage they never use anyway.

#13 jerseyguy

jerseyguy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:41 AM

Someone needs to invent a fiberglass easting bug

#14 hard aground

hard aground

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:45 AM

you certainly wouldnt want to be wearing loose clothing around that thing.

The second video is a J30.

#15 BlondeWithFreeBoat

BlondeWithFreeBoat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Interests:Things that float

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:55 AM

I'm not going to watch any of these. I'll cry. A lot.

#16 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:06 AM

We have been taking about a boat a week to the dump for the last six months. the keels and masts get recycled. The pulpits, stanchions, winches, tracks and useful looking fittings go in a pile.

The big front end loader and bulldozer machinery at the dump smashes the remains to smithereens and they bury the remaining crap.

The way I see it, teh best thing we could do for sailing would be to get rid of all those old shitty boats we replaced thirty years ago with "new stuff" like J-24s and Merit 25s and then replaced again with the sportboats. Once emptied of old horrible things that don't race, our clubs and marinas would have plenty of space for teh next big thing and the folks who would show up with the new toys would be welcomed to help pay for our facilities and as their boats are gonna be new...the new blood would actually go play as opposed to whining about how nobody does anymore.

EWvery time I drag an old piece of shit out to the dump, it gets rep;laced in the slip by a new boat with an active owner.

There are fifty more boats at AYC I would LOVE to yank out and recycle...it would be a great thing for everybody ...especially they old farts who have been paying slip rent and insurance on old garbage they never use anyway.

I think it was Beau that said the a marina near him imposed a rule that every boat had to go out of the inner harbour once a year under it's own steam to be able to keep it's berth. You don't and you forfit your beth. I guess a time limit to sell the boat then off to the shredder would work.
I wish they had some sort of rule like that here. Year my boat aint the flashest at the marina, but at least I use the thing.

#17 thebigdirty

thebigdirty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:35 AM

These guys did it the easy way.

#18 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

Having read all the other methods ye mention I think the guys with the shredder really have the best way going. All relatively quick and painless(except for the boat) and when the shredding is done with the skip can be taken to any normal recycling centre to deal with.

Maybe someone could hire one out and offer to get rid of all the unused boats for a fee? Marinas with unpaid duties could use it as a threat to owners who aren't paying up...

#19 walterbshaffer

walterbshaffer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts
  • Interests:Formerly Member No. 9720

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

Can someone verify for me that California has a boat disposal fee and what is it? Someone (I forget who, but maybe the marina manager) said that Ca. has a $4,000 (!!!!) boat disposal fee which is why so many people abandon thier boats. I know it sounds ridiculous & outrageous but this is California so I can't say it's impossible.

#20 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,948 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

There are people who ask the government about the rules for doing something, and those of us who survive by learning how not to unnecessarily encounter the government bureaucracts.

Governments simply love taxing boats. Governments love concerning themselves with titles and licenses and stickers and all that shit as well. We don't take boats to the dump. We take pounds of random waste material. With the rignt sawzall blade a worker can reduce anything up to 30 feet to carryable chunks in a couple hours so there's no way anyone would ever need to take a "boat" to the dump for $4000.

#21 walterbshaffer

walterbshaffer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts
  • Interests:Formerly Member No. 9720

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

There are people who ask the government about the rules for doing something, and those of us who survive by learning how not to unnecessarily encounter the government bureaucracts.

Governments simply love taxing boats. Governments love concerning themselves with titles and licenses and stickers and all that shit as well. We don't take boats to the dump. We take pounds of random waste material. With the rignt sawzall blade a worker can reduce anything up to 30 feet to carryable chunks in a couple hours so there's no way anyone would ever need to take a "boat" to the dump for $4000.

I thought they mentioned that it had something to do with a toxic waste disposal fee and that bottom paint, engines and even the fiberglass itself are considered toxics.

#22 mcsailor0303

mcsailor0303

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Interests:Kiteboarding, Ladies, Beer, and SAILING

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

My first thought too.

Another method, the dump-struction:

Why would you do that to a J30?! Even if not 'race-able' any more, those beast are great cruisers?!

#23 Trendsetter

Trendsetter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

j/30 and great cruiser.. yeah those two words do not belong togther! EVER... uncomfortable as hell, and I have worked on more then my fair share of these things they are all soaking wet!

#24 usa 917

usa 917

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Sailing sails sailboats

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

That j 30 was bonsai dragon out of Saginaw bay. Raced hard put away wet,it was a pumpkin.

#25 RockBox Chris

RockBox Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

At the end of the video it says the goal is to recycle them into fuel or other useable products.
Anyone have any idea what fiberglass and resin can be recycled into?

#26 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:20 AM

We have taken all consumables/recycleables out of a Carver 30 because we could not get a buyer. The boat needed engine work and some tlc. The hull was solid.

We will soon be cutting it up and making never rot backing blocks for thru hulls out of it.

I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it.

we will soon have a uniflite 28 sport fisher...engine work needed, solid hull and electronics going up for a lien sale at AWMC.

#27 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:37 AM

That j30 segment was one of the most obscene things I've ever seen. Like watching a snuff flick. The asshole in the background chuckling to himself only made it worse.

#28 Varan

Varan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:53 AM

That j30 segment was one of the most obscene things I've ever seen. Like watching a snuff flick. The asshole in the background chuckling to himself only made it worse.

To each his own. I kind of, maybe in some perverted way, enjoyed watching the videos, especially the first. Watching that power boat do the dance of death... classic. Couldn't help but imaging whole jet skis being gobbled up, one after another, after another... maybe we need more of these machines. Perhaps we personify our inanimate objects too much.

#29 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts
  • Interests:It's Obvious!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

I'm not going to watch any of these. I'll cry. A lot.

+1.

#30 JohnMB

JohnMB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

At the end of the video it says the goal is to recycle them into fuel or other useable products.

Not much,
The auto industry have an interest in this so there is work being done on finding good ways to recycle glass and carbon reinforced composites, but there's not much in the way of results yet.

It is possible to use the ground up residue, as a filler for low cost plastic components, but that's about the limit.

#31 Rum Runner

Rum Runner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

What ever happened to the gallon of gas and a match disposal method?

#32 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,993 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

You mean the owner.

His boat, his choice.

#33 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

Can someone verify for me that California has a boat disposal fee and what is it? Someone (I forget who, but maybe the marina manager) said that Ca. has a $4,000 (!!!!) boat disposal fee which is why so many people abandon thier boats. I know it sounds ridiculous & outrageous but this is California so I can't say it's impossible.

A very quick google search turns up the truth for you: that it is *free*.

http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Environmental/vesdispose.aspx

searched "california boat disposal fee"

#34 sailcalifornia

sailcalifornia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

The guys that own SSI are boat owners, they have the J-125 up there

#35 hard aground

hard aground

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:02 AM

There was, and possibly still is, a marina, or business at a marina, in Ontario that had/has what they called a boat shredder. Looked something similiar to the machine in the first video. I think that they had planned on using the output from the shredded boats as insulation.
Here's a linky, no idea how recent: http://www.sandycove...-Recyclers.aspx

#36 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:17 AM

Let's face it: the only reason we use fiberglass is because it is cheap--especially on the maintenance side of things. But it is an environmentally unsustainable and stupid solution. Wood is much better--unless you are building whole navies out of it :-/

#37 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:37 AM

Let's face it: the only reason we use fiberglass is because it is cheap--especially on the maintenance side of things. But it is an environmentally unsustainable and stupid solution. Wood is much better--unless you are building whole navies out of it :-/

Which is why we are moving to resin and carbon???????? Ok there is a lot of Carbon in the Universe but I think the resin that we bind it with is the issue and is the carbon we are using to build things with the same as the carbon in the uni????

#38 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:40 AM

Which is why we are moving to resin and carbon???????? Ok there is a lot of Carbon in the Universe but I think the resin that we bind it with is the issue and is the carbon we are using to build things with the same as the carbon in the uni????

Yes, the resin. But carbon fiber isn't "biodegradable" in the same sense as cellulose, either...

But at least carbon fiber gives you a rel improvement in properties. So at least there is some justification for the pollution.

#39 thengling

thengling

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Interests:Commodity, Firmness, and Delight

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

Looks like the owner of the J30 picked at the hull some, found a can of worms, or more likely thought "why bother"...

#40 Cleveland Steamer

Cleveland Steamer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:22 AM

Wonder when someone will make a business out of buying old boats to extract the lead in the keels and recycle the metal in other parts.

#41 CruiserJim

CruiserJim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, road cycling, reading.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

Tom Brownell @ Brownell Systems in Mattapoisett MA launched a boat recycling service last year. Don't know if they are still at it. I don't know that they actually "buy" them. He was hoping the recyclables such as lead would make it viable but I doubt there is enough margin once the work is done to pay the owner anything.

#42 Timo42's sockpuppet

Timo42's sockpuppet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

Dawg, did you pull the motor? What kind? Is it salvagable? May know someone who could use one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users