• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Nomad27

Nomad27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

Hello everyone! I'm new here, pretty new to sailing on the bay as well. One year racing and cruising on the bay. I've been doing a lot of reading and trying to find information about anchoring our boat off of baker beach for a few hours. That is just outside of the golden gate. Basically, I'm wondering is it a good idea or even legal for that matter? Staying out of the main channel and not to close to the surf I thought we could safely anchor. However with all of the traffic, current, mostly sandy bottom and sometimes upredictable surf I am doubting it.

Basically, we are intermediate sailors and have little to no experience outside of the bay. We are wanting to tryout some fishing and I would love to just anchor and have a beer while the lines soak. That way we are not having to sail back and forth accross strong currents and vessel traffic.

I would appreciate any opinions.

Thanks all!

#2 Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

Getemout!

#3 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

First, as Silverbullet said: show us your wife/gf/secretary's tits, noob.

Second, why would you want to anchor off Baker beach? The topless/nude chicks there are not attractive, seriously!

#4 Corvo

Corvo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Spelling and grammar

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

Quite a few boats have been rolled, or pushed up on the beach there. If it's a very calm day you might get away with it, but I sure wouldn't be tempted. It's going to be rolly and uncomfortable at best. Have you considered Bonita Cove instead?

#5 Bitter Gnat

Bitter Gnat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

Just wondering if perchance the boat you are anchoring might be a 3200 sqft two masted plywood catamaran?

#6 knuckles

knuckles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:36 AM

El trollo supremo.

#7 One eye Jack

One eye Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Location:Reno,Nv. San Francisco Bay , Santa Cruz,Ca. Tahoe,Nv
  • Interests:Sailing. I shot a man in Reno.. Just to watch him die..

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:49 AM

Baker beach ? Why? You get strong eddy s there. And good chance you will drag anchor. If you want to fish ,fish while sailing or . Trolling is better even as far as the Farallons. Follow the other fishing boats. And are you aware of just how deep it is under the bridge? And so rounding areas?you would be better fishing in Racoon straights, or down by pier 80 ,in that area. Depending what kind of fish you want.

#8 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,159 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:26 AM

Just wondering if perchance the boat you are anchoring might be a 3200 sqft two masted plywood catamaran?

Click !!!!

#9 Nomad27

Nomad27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:06 AM

I do agree that the local scenery is not as great as I would prefer. More naked men than women anyway.

We are actually just dropping some c r a b pots for a few hours. I want to let em soak for awhile then ride the flood back in. It's roughly 50 feet where I plan on going. I do intend to avoid the surf there and hope that it will be calm. What I really am wondering is if I am allowed to actually anchor there? I really would rather stay close to the gate and not have to deal with crossing strong ebb currents and vessel traffic. Therefore I thought it might be better to just drop anchor and obviously keep an eye on the current changes.

Corvo, would bonita be a better (safer) option for the intended purpose?

Thank you corvo and one eye jack for the helpful responses and your feedback is certainly something I'm considering! The rest of you.....

#10 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,044 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:55 AM

There are no rules against it, just common sense. Btw, you're better off setting your pots out beyond four fathom in 200' of water.

#11 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:18 AM

I do agree that the local scenery is not as great as I would prefer. More naked men than women anyway.

We are actually just dropping some c r a b pots for a few hours. I want to let em soak for awhile then ride the flood back in. It's roughly 50 feet where I plan on going. I do intend to avoid the surf there and hope that it will be calm. What I really am wondering is if I am allowed to actually anchor there? I really would rather stay close to the gate and not have to deal with crossing strong ebb currents and vessel traffic. Therefore I thought it might be better to just drop anchor and obviously keep an eye on the current changes.

Corvo, would bonita be a better (safer) option for the intended purpose?

Thank you corvo and one eye jack for the helpful responses and your feedback is certainly something I'm considering! The rest of you.....

First, I don't know if dropping crab pots in that area is legal (it might be, might not). Second, just drop the pots and pick 'em up underway. Watch some episodes of "The Deadliest Catch" for pointers.

And seriously, what Corvo and OEJ said: not a good place to anchor.

#12 dog of war

dog of war

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:sailing fast

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:28 AM

We are actually just dropping some c r a b pots for a few hours. I want to let em soak for awhile then ride the flood back in. It's roughly 50 feet where I plan on going. I do intend to avoid the surf there and hope that it will be calm. What I really am wondering is if I am allowed to actually anchor there? I really would rather stay close to the gate and not have to deal with crossing strong ebb currents and vessel traffic.

Ok I try to be nice here but........are you stoned or stupid?? You won't catch much if any Crab off Baker beach but you stand a good chance of having a lousy day at best and needing rescue at worse.

So I'll be a bit helpfull for a second.....head out the gate right turn at Bonita drop the pots off Tennessee point then troll at about 4 to 6 knts up to duxberry point and back pull the pots on the way home. If you do this right you should have 2 or 3 fish and about the same # of crab.

This message will self distruct in 30 sec!!

#13 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:52 AM

Anchoring in San Francisco Bay?

You should contact these guys. Near as I can tell, they pretty much wrote the book on that topic:

Posted Image

#14 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,154 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:13 AM

What about the rest?....there's expectations here that need to be met!

#15 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:45 AM

Nomad,

First, you really do need to conform to the requirements of all newbies. See post #3 for instructions.

Second, Baker Beach doesn't have many crabs (maybe none at all). Crabs live in eel grass and rocks with kelp. Neither are at all good for anchoring. Baker Beach is pebbles and big rocks on the bottom - nothing for the crabs to eat. Also, almost nothing for your anchor to hold onto. So.... there aren't many crabs, if any. Further, if it's calm during crab season (winter time) then you could anchor most anywhere but you don't need to bother - there's no wind. That said, when there was no wind along the beach there two weeks ago when I sailed through there was a 10' swell and 14' waves on the shore. Almost everyone underestimates the size of the surf on Baker. You could easily get a break in 25' of water and when it's rough it can break there in 30-40 feet of water. Why you'd want to go there, I have no idea.

Dog of War laid it out quite nicely for you. Do what he said. The only addition I would make is try to find other folks crab pots and put yours in a similar area. You won't find any at Baker Beach, you'll find them up off of Rodeo Beach, over near Mile Rock and on the way north to Duxbury Reef. Put yours were they put theirs without getting in their way, or they'll just take yours in when they pick up theirs.

Finally, before you bother with any of this, sail to Duxbury Reef and back at least once so you have some idea what you're in for outside the Golden Gate prior to trying to anchor and fish on what is typically a lee shore, with poor holding and big surf. Better yet, leave the S. Farallon island to port on your way home from Duxbury and DO NOT anchor on the lee shore on the NW side of the island. Which has the same orientation as Baker Beach and a similar bottom. It's where Low Speed Chase was picked up and washed ashore by a wave while being raced by pretty experienced people.

BV

#16 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:51 AM

^^^^^^^
Maybe new to the area but smart enough to ask first. Good on ya.

#17 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,346 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:07 AM

Btw baker beach is out side the bay. And you can probably catch crabs there but not the kind your fishing for. The surf and current is BIG right off Baker. Only a newbie with a death wish would anchor there.

#18 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

It's been 10-12 years, but I went out with friends on a power boat and did a 3 hour soak well off of Baker with 4 traps. We had enough for a fabulous feed that evening. Maybe they're all gone now, but I saw boats out there (all power) when the season opened this year....

#19 smelly weasel

smelly weasel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

Best spot for crabs- http://www.nettiescrabshack.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users