Boat sluts...

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Poll: Boat sluts... (170 member(s) have cast votes)

Two (or more) skippers have asked you to crew for DIFFERENT regattas on the same weekend. How do you choose?

1. First come first serve. I sail with the boat that asked me first. (38 votes [20.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.54%

2. Loyalty. I'll commit to the boat that I've sailed with the most/longest, regardless of who asked first or whom I want to sail with. (75 votes [40.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.54%

3. It's all about the boat. I'll sail with the hottest/fastest boat, or the boat with the best chance of winning. (5 votes [2.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

4. It's all about the people or place. I'll sail with the skipper/crew I like best or at the venue I want to go to.. (63 votes [34.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.05%

5. Other? Please explain. (4 votes [2.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.16%

Two (or more) skippers have asked you to crew for SAME regatta. How do you choose?

1. First come first serve. I sail with the boat that asked me first. (36 votes [19.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.78%

2. Loyalty. I'll commit to the boat that I've sailed with the most/longest, regardless of who asked first or whom I want to sail with. (90 votes [49.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 49.45%

3. It's all about the boat. I'll sail with the hottest/fastest boat, or the boat with the best chance of winning. (8 votes [4.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.40%

4. It's all about the people. I'll sail with the skipper/crew I like best. (43 votes [23.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.63%

5. Other? Please explain.... (5 votes [2.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.75%

You've committed to sailing with Boat A at Regatta A. A hotter, better prepared and/or more fun Boat B then asks you to crew at Regatta B. What do you do?

1. Beg off, make an excuse, or outright defect to Boat B. This is about what I want. (2 votes [1.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.16%

2. A commitment is a commitment. Sail with Boat A and hope Boat B asks you first next year. (145 votes [84.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 84.30%

3. Hold off on accepting Boat A's invitation for a reasonable amount of time, until you've determined Boat B's needs. Ultimately sailing with Boat B if possible, but keeping your spot open on Boat A. (24 votes [13.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.95%

4. Other? Please explain... (1 votes [0.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.58%

You've committed to sailing with Boat A at Regatta A. Another boat, Boat B asks you to crew at Regatta B. You are locked in on Boat A and may not switch boats. Do you...

1. Offer to recommend someone (if you can), and if not, search the crew forums, ping your network, do whatever you can to find someone qualified to replace you. (12 votes [6.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.86%

2. Offer to recommend someone (if you can) to take your position on Boat B. "I can't sail with you, but I know someone who might be free..." (110 votes [62.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.86%

3. Apologize to Boat B for being unavailable and leave it at that. If Boat B asks if you know someone else who can sail, you'll suggest someone, but only if they ask. It's their responsibility to find crew, after all. (47 votes [26.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.86%

4. Other? Please explain... (6 votes [3.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.43%

Lastly, a demographics question: How many boats do you crew for on a regular basis*?

1. Zero. I sail with whoever will have me on any given day. (8 votes [4.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.71%

2. One. I do most regattas with one boat, and fill in the rest of the season with other opportunities. (57 votes [33.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.53%

3. 2-3. There are enough days in the week to sail with both/all, but there are some occasional overlaps. (88 votes [51.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 51.76%

4. 4-5. Most of my free time is taken up with commitments to these programs and there are frequent overlaps in schedules. (11 votes [6.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.47%

5. 6+. I spend ALL of my free time crewing and there are confilcts with nearly every regatta. (6 votes [3.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 KRC

KRC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:29 AM

First, let me define "boat slut". A boat slut is very much like a boat whore. The only difference is that boat whores get paid...

This poll is for people like me, who crew whenever and wherever they can, purely for the fun of it and not as a source of income.

Presently, I would consider myself regular crew on 4 different boats. I sail with each of them at least once a week (*and this is how I define "regular basis" in Question 5). These four programs sometimes participate in regattas that conflict with each other. In addition, I sometimes get asked to do regattas on other boats when someone else has recommended me to sail with them. This can create further conflicts.

While I admit that I do derive enjoyment from being in demand (OK, it's a big ego booster), it can sometimes be overwhelming, like being caught in the middle of a tug-of-war. So I'm starting this thread to see what other folks think, and how others choose which events to participate in. I'm hoping to tap into the collective of wisdom and experience here to better manage my schedule and maximize benefits to me and the people I sail with.

Lastly, a question for the skippers who have crew like me (posted here because the poll only allows 5 questions): How do you feel about a crew whose racing schedule has some conflicts with yours?
  • Zero tolerance. I expect 100% commitment to the entire season (except for major catastrophe like family emergencies or serious injury/illness).
  • I tolerate it, but I don't like it. I usually relegate them to less important roles, or positions that are more easily replaceable, where their absence won't affect performance as much.
  • I'm OK with it. My crew is versatile enough to be able to fill in when that person is gone, or my crew pool is deep enough that I will always have a backup.
  • I'm happy that my crew gets to sail on other boats. It makes them better sailors and they can bring that knowledge and experience back to my boat. My boat is better for it in the long run.
  • Other? Please explain...

#2 dog of war

dog of war

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:sailing fast

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:36 AM

I'm nothing but a weekend sailor but have a few years of experience on the bow. I take my commitments seriously and make them at the beginning of the season (usually right after BBS each year). I usually lock into 3 or 4 boats, Ocean racing, Big Regatta or O/D racing, D/H races and then a few just for fun races. Once I make these commitments I take them seriously and expect the same.

#3 206

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:40 AM

I thought this topic was going to be about sluts . . .

#4 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:20 AM

Ideal solution: Find a hot, fast, competitive boat with people you like that does the regattas you want to do and gives you the opportunity to commit to them sooner rather than later. If you're reading this, boat owner, thank you for having an awesome program, putting together a great group of people and most importantly for being fun.

Also, KRC, you owe mustang__1 credit for that definition. I may have told it to you but he invented it.

#5 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,332 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:27 AM

I nominate this thread as "Most DIsappointing Thread of the Year"

#6 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

I'm with 206; where's the sluts?

Anyway, for me it's how I fit into the program. If I earn a spot with high responsibility, that's the boat in which I place my highest loyalty... with qualifications.

First: it's the people. If I get to spend time with people I like, people who I understand (sailing-wise), who are on the same page, etc., those are the boats I want to be on the most.

Second: I want some responsibility. If I'm just a passenger on even a super winning boat, that's just not as fun for me.

Third: I want to be on a boat with smart people on it. People who I can learn from.

My memory isn't good enough to remember all the boats from this past year, but for certain it was more than 8. I'm pretty sure that number alone qualifies as slut, right?
  • One was a cool boat and I was given responsibility but the people drove me crazy. Nobody was on the same page tactically, and the skipper had ADD to the max -- to the point of being literally dangerous. Every single race was an unpleasant combination of beginner racing 101 and a meeting of the debate club. The boat was ALWAYS under-crewed in a boat which was DESIGNED around crew stability. That didn't endear me to this disorganized program. Lastly, the boat had some fairly serious running rigging issues which were never going to be addressed.
  • Another good boat, much better rigged and run, but I was relegated to ballast technician. On occasion I got to do good stuff, but mostly just a passenger. Fun boat to sail, but not engaging enough for me, personally. Plus it also suffered somewhat from disorganized tactics and disorganized program in general. I mean, stuff got done, and we ended up a mere 3 seconds out of 1st place after a month-long series, but with a little tighter organization it could have been the whole deal. Fun, but not a priority to beg rides on.
  • There was another series, on another boat, which was decidedly NOT competitive. The skipper is a relative of mine and we drank ourselves around the hot summer twilight courses with good beer and good laughter. I got a lot of responsibility on that boat but that seriously was not the point. I'll be back next summer.
  • Another boat of the season was great mostly due to one 9-race series. Even though much of the crew had not sailed together, it was a perfect combination of boat-handling skills, intelligent tactics and fun people. And the results showed it. We won practically every race through a combination of boat handling, tactics and speed, pretty much in that order. It is so fun to be able to count on coming out of every single transition ahead of the competition. We would routinely gain six or more boat-lengths at every leeward mark. Our Mexicans had the committee boat cheering! When one regatta was cancelled due to gale-force winds, we went out anyway with a #4 and full main, later reefed main. Drank some beers, let an 11-year-old drive 'til he got tired, set the chute, etc. The entire series our conversations were on a higher plane, positioning ourselves on the course relative to the other boats, covering from ahead. Fun stuff.
  • My main ride is with some people I've known for over 30 years. There are many problems with the physical aspects of the boat and sail handling is a bit of a chore, but when we click it all works nice. The core crew has figured out the boat's quirks, pretty much, and we are able to make things happen correctly, usually. And I get a high-profile job. This is my "loyalty boat" -- they call; I'm in. They usually plan well in advance, sort of, considering the owner/skipper is somewhat challenged in that respect. His wife covers his ass pretty well, though.
  • Then there was a one-time regatta which turned out to be a blast, mostly because of the people. We had a pick-up crew in the last minute. The boat should be raced with 10 or more, but it was just the skipper, who was new to the area and the boat, and three of us who were very old friends -- 4 total. Us three have spent so much time together over the decades that we really don't need to talk much. We know what we all want to do and it just gets done. If it's tactically advantageous to foot across the fleet to the next header we might say as little as "fast forward" or "let's get our ass over there" and know what we're talking about. We made a believer out of the skipper, who was experienced enough to pick up on how we worked together and hustle us around the course efficiently. We held off some larger faster boats and had a ball doing so. Even managed a trophy, but that was inconsequential compared to spending some quality time with old friends, going fast.
Each one of those boats represents different aspects of racing. To me, it's all fun. I don't know how many years of this I got left in me, so I'm doing all I can, as much as I can, going at it as hard as I can... for the shear pleasure of doing it.

#7 Drop Bear.

Drop Bear.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Interests:none.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

I nominate this thread as "Most DIsappointing Thread of the Year"

+1

I had high expectations on seeing the title.

This place is going downhill.

Perpetrators of this sort of misleading posting should be banned.

Sort it Ed.

#8 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,373 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:37 AM

...this thread would have been verrrrry different back in the 80's :mellow:

#9 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

I thought this topic was going to be about sluts . . .

I agree theise our inportent the sporte an we neede to showe supporte!

Polle withine a polle;

What ist moiste inportaent traite?
Coud you be sailore withote them?
Dose youre dependessey rollo into evyday life?
Howe do you showe appreccion?
Licke to share anything?
pics or it didente happende.

#10 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

Don't believe Left Hook, he just chooses the bigger boat. But doesn't tell you he's racing just that something came up and he has a conflict.
Regardless if the boat he got on that weekend started each race with the main inverted and sail half one one leg like that

#11 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

Regardless if the boat he got on that weekend started each race with the main inverted and sail half one one leg like that

He trimmes main rite?

#12 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,770 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

Posted Image

#13 Ahi Tuna

Ahi Tuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

This is in response to the skippers side of things. I'd have to say:

I'm OK with it. My crew is versatile enough to be able to fill in when that person is gone, or my crew pool is deep enough that I will always have a backup. OK, usually have a backup is more my reality.

But it REALLY depends on how it is done. I put out a schedule for our races way in advance. My 2013 schedule is pretty much locked in unless some new race comes up or we break the boat. I have a 30 year old boat that is pretty competitive, well maintained, good racing sails etc. and over the years I have developed a fantastic crew pool. In fact when I left a long term boat partnership I was pretty eager to buy a new (to me) boat. I had the crew and had done the hard part, the boat is the easy part.

I maintain a crew list of about 18-20 people, and we sail with 8+ on a boat that really needs crew weight in the SF area. I let the crew choose what races they want to sign up for. We do several different series and out here on the left coast we sail year round and do around 40 weekend days a year plus some deliveries. Some of my crew have and race their own boats and many others sail on other boats. We openly communicate about whether mine is their primary boat and that can change over time. Crew sometimes want to do something I don't like a race to Hawaii or some special OD or big race so they follow another boat. We have had crew leave and come back, and we've had crew leave and we become 2nd or 3rd on that persons list. It's all good with enough communication.

So here is the "it depends"

If a crew does not sign up for a race, no big deal, race on boat X, go to the company picnic, mow the lawn, not my business

If a crew signs up for a race and lets me know with enough notice that they want to race on boat X, or do something else, no big deal.

If a crew blows off a race to chase a faster ride and leaves me scrambling for crew at the last minute that is a problem. It makes my life hard and affects the rest of the crew. Do it and you probably lose some seniority, do it more than once and you probably fall off the crew list. All it takes is a phone call or email.

Communication is really the key. I have even gotten my crew rides on other boats, sometimes competitors boats, when we were heavy, the other boat was short, or if a crew just wanted to try the other boat.

Part of the skippers job is to put together a program that people want to come back to. The skippers that do this effectively don't have trouble finding crew and as such don't get all pissy when someone wants to sail elsewhere. The ones that do get pissy are usually the disorganized screamers that blame the crew for everything, and then they wonder why nobody wants to sail with them.

#14 mcsailor0303

mcsailor0303

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Interests:Kiteboarding, Ladies, Beer, and SAILING

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

...this thread would have been verrrrry different back in the 80's :mellow:

They had forums back in the 80's? ;)

so...where are the sluts?

#15 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

They even hadde them in Romaine times!!! :)

#16 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,119 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

I'm with 206; where's the sluts?

Anyway, for me it's how I fit into the program. If I earn a spot with high responsibility, that's the boat in which I place my highest loyalty... with qualifications.

First: it's the people. If I get to spend time with people I like, people who I understand (sailing-wise), who are on the same page, etc., those are the boats I want to be on the most.

Second: I want some responsibility. If I'm just a passenger on even a super winning boat, that's just not as fun for me.

Third: I want to be on a boat with smart people on it. People who I can learn from.

My memory isn't good enough to remember all the boats from this past year, but for certain it was more than 8. I'm pretty sure that number alone qualifies as slut, right?

• One was a cool boat and I was given responsibility but the people drove me crazy. Nobody was on the same page tactically, and the skipper had ADD to the max -- to the point of being literally dangerous. Every single race was an unpleasant combination of beginner racing 101 and a meeting of the debate club. The boat was ALWAYS under-crewed in a boat which was DESIGNED around crew stability. That didn't endear me to this disorganized program. Lastly, the boat had some fairly serious running rigging issues which were never going to be addressed.
  • Another good boat, much better rigged and run, but I was relegated to ballast technician. On occasion I got to do good stuff, but mostly just a passenger. Fun boat to sail, but not engaging enough for me, personally. Plus it also suffered somewhat from disorganized tactics and disorganized program in general. I mean, stuff got done, and we ended up a mere 3 seconds out of 1st place after a month-long series, but with a little tighter organization it could have been the whole deal. Fun, but not a priority to beg rides on.
  • There was another series, on another boat, which was decidedly NOT competitive. The skipper is a relative of mine and we drank ourselves around the hot summer twilight courses with good beer and good laughter. I got a lot of responsibility on that boat but that seriously was not the point. I'll be back next summer.
  • Another boat of the season was great mostly due to one 9-race series. Even though much of the crew had not sailed together, it was a perfect combination of boat-handling skills, intelligent tactics and fun people. And the results showed it. We won practically every race through a combination of boat handling, tactics and speed, pretty much in that order. It is so fun to be able to count on coming out of every single transition ahead of the competition. We would routinely gain six or more boat-lengths at every leeward mark. Our Mexicans had the committee boat cheering! When one regatta was cancelled due to gale-force winds, we went out anyway with a #4 and full main, later reefed main. Drank some beers, let an 11-year-old drive 'til he got tired, set the chute, etc. The entire series our conversations were on a higher plane, positioning ourselves on the course relative to the other boats, covering from ahead. Fun stuff.
  • My main ride is with some people I've known for over 30 years. There are many problems with the physical aspects of the boat and sail handling is a bit of a chore, but when we click it all works nice. The core crew has figured out the boat's quirks, pretty much, and we are able to make things happen correctly, usually. And I get a high-profile job. This is my "loyalty boat" -- they call; I'm in. They usually plan well in advance, sort of, considering the owner/skipper is somewhat challenged in that respect. His wife covers his ass pretty well, though.
  • Then there was a one-time regatta which turned out to be a blast, mostly because of the people. We had a pick-up crew in the last minute. The boat should be raced with 10 or more, but it was just the skipper, who was new to the area and the boat, and three of us who were very old friends -- 4 total. Us three have spent so much time together over the decades that we really don't need to talk much. We know what we all want to do and it just gets done. If it's tactically advantageous to foot across the fleet to the next header we might say as little as "fast forward" or "let's get our ass over there" and know what we're talking about. We made a believer out of the skipper, who was experienced enough to pick up on how we worked together and hustle us around the course efficiently. We held off some larger faster boats and had a ball doing so. Even managed a trophy, but that was inconsequential compared to spending some quality time with old friends, going fast.
Each one of those boats represents different aspects of racing. To me, it's all fun. I don't know how many years of this I got left in me, so I'm doing all I can, as much as I can, going at it as hard as I can... for the shear pleasure of doing it.

Excelent Point

Where are the Sluts/Pix ???

This thread had so much potential

Sad :(

#17 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

We shoud be aksing you!

#18 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,119 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

We shoud be aksing you!

Word-UP on that

if I had started the thread the Answer(s) would be in the first post

And it would have gone up on a Friday B)

#19 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,189 posts
  • Interests:Danger

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

The poll is too odd to vote on because it fails to address the question of why the respondent needs to bounce around.
The best scenario is to lock into a program that does nearly all the races you are looiking to sail. A boat that you can make a whole host of great friends on. Commit to it for 3-4 seasons. Then work your tail off to make it the most successful boat that you can.
I have always felt that if you find yourself bouncing between programs through the course of a season that your skill set or depth probably could use some work.

#20 Bitter Gnat

Bitter Gnat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

The poll is too odd to vote on because it fails to address the question of why the respondent needs to bounce around.
The best scenario is to lock into a program that does nearly all the races you are looiking to sail. A boat that you can make a whole host of great friends on. Commit to it for 3-4 seasons. Then work your tail off to make it the most successful boat that you can.
I have always felt that if you find yourself bouncing between programs through the course of a season that your skill set or depth probably could use some work.

#1. But would add personality to that list of things lacking.

#21 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,584 posts
  • Interests:walks on the beach,a good book,a good cry

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

The best scenario is to lock into a program that does nearly all the races you are looiking to sail. A boat that you can make a whole host of great friends on. Commit to it for 3-4 sewasons. Then work your tail off to make it the most successful boat that you can.

sounds very much like a boat that just won the triple crown of LIS distance racing..

#22 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

The best scenario is to lock into a program that does nearly all the races you are looiking to sail. A boat that you can make a whole host of great friends on. Commit to it for 3-4 sewasons. Then work your tail off to make it the most successful boat that you can.

sounds very much like a boat that just won the triple crown of LIS distance racing..

I do give No. 6 lots of credit for this. He's unshakably loyal to developing a winning team and has a track record of doing very well when he does. Not only that but then the members of that team learn and develop under him and become awesome sailors in their own right and they usually have fun in the process. You could say that this is one area where his tendency towards obsession pays dividends.

Credit where credit is due.

#23 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,332 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

They even hadde them in Romaine times!!! :)

The Romans used the Compuserve Sailing Forum exclusively.

#24 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

why the respondent needs to bounce around.

For me: I am semi-retired. That means several things:
  • I'm gettin' on in years, meaning: I'm not as physically durable as I used to be.
  • I'm semi-retired, meaning: I have got a lot of time for sailing.
  • I'm single and my nearest family is about 100 miles away, meaning: [see point #2]
I really really like being out on the water and I have the ability to be so more than most programs/owners. As a result, I sail on different boats depending on when they sail. In summer I have a surplus of riches and different programs race in different events. I had only three or four overlaps/conflicts all year, and those conflicts were resolved by either loyalty or whoever invited me first if loyalty was a tie or not an issue.

My main ride doesn't do many summer races so:
  • Monday evenings it's one boat;
  • Tuesday evenings it's a different boat;
  • Wednesday evenings a third boat;
  • Thursday evenings a fourth boat;
None of the boats sail the same series except sometimes Tuesday/Thursday but there is no crew conflict.

Weekend regattas and point-to-point races and specific races: go to loyalty boats or invitations, both with advanced planning.

#25 Caca Cabeza

Caca Cabeza

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Interests:Getting back in the environment, putting the front back on, flux capacitors, the fourth mode, but NOT landt.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:58 PM

tie breaker = which boat owner's wife/daughter has the bigger tits

#26 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:23 AM

In some cases, it's which boat owner has the biggest tits!

#27 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,119 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:27 AM

In some cases, it's which boat owner has the biggest tits!

Knowing you I know you mean bOObs

some on here you might get thinking about mOObs

#28 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,259 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:10 AM

Ideal solution: Find a hot, fast, competitive boat with people you like that does the regattas you want to do and gives you the opportunity to commit to them sooner rather than later. If you're reading this, boat owner, thank you for having an awesome program, putting together a great group of people and most importantly for being fun.

Also, KRC, you owe mustang__1 credit for that definition. I may have told it to you but he invented it.

nah boat slut wasnt my invention, someone came up with that name long before me on these forums.

i primarily crew on 1-3 boats a season, one of which being my own. most of the programs i race with publish their schedules well ahead of time and ask who's coming. if there is a conflict and there is a boat that i'd rather sail on (generally just for the sake of mixing it up a little), i will hold off on committing for a little while and make sure that the regular ride has sufficient crew and im not letting them down. i generally have the A boat which i do most of my regattas on and base all other regattas/scheduling off of that. I can't remember the last time i fully backed out of a regatta to race with someone else. there have been times where i've been indecive (due to outside-sailing scheduling) to the point that i've told the boat owner to find someone else/recommend someone else, and then shortly before the regatta find out i can go, and sail with someone else. once you're in, you're in and you dont jump for another ride (exceptions for if maybe its months and months out). at the least, offer them someone who may be able to take your place.

#29 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

Crew Slut is a Frank Zappa song.

"Don't make a fuss, just get on the bus".

Sail safe!

#30 NutCase27

NutCase27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

Commitment is commitment. If you have committed to do a race on boat #1 the worst thing you can do is switch to boat#2. This is the easiest way to never be invited back.;

If you are a regular on boat #2 and boat #1 asks - then state you are available only if Boat#2 is not racing that day and say you will check and get back - that is loyalty

If you area regular on boat #2 and boat #2 is racing in that regatta and then boat #1 asks you knowing this than the skipper of boat #1 is a shit and should be shot

I race my own boat on weekend regattas and on another boat Wednesdays and Race Weeks in a different area. I have seen both sides of this. A skipper's decision to race is based on committed crew and once the crew is lined up decisions are made and costs are incurred. Dont say yes if you want a better ride and never screw off once committed ....

#31 Gallagher

Gallagher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

1) If you need to ask the questions listed above on the SA Forums, and can't figure the right answer out on your own then we've found our first problem

2) If you find that deciding which boat out of a selection four to race is "overwhelming" then we've found our second problem.

3) If the title of the thread includes "sluts" yet none are produced....well, I'm not sure there's any hope at all.

#32 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,332 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

Sail safe!

" I ain't gonna squash it And you don't need to wash it! "

#33 MidPack

MidPack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,406 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

I voted down the loyalty line. It would have to be a once in a lifetime opportunity for me to consider 'jumping ship' from my regular ride, not just a better prepared marginally faster/better boat. And I'd go to the boat owner I usually crew with and tell him about my opportunity and ask him before accepting another ride. If he said no, I'd honor his request, but I suspect he'd understand if I had the opportunity to sail on some once in a lifetime ride - he'd probably ask if I get him a ride too. :)

But I'd let Boat B know that I am interested in another chance if the opportunity would arise.

#34 Par Avion

Par Avion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:Firefighting, sailing, beer.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

Loyalty or death.

As a newcomer to racing, I whored myself out quite a bit this year. Long drives, little sleep, short notice, whatever. You ask, and I'm free I'm there, it's rather simple. My word means a lot to me, and if I say I'm going to do something, I do it. It's a shame more people aren't like that these days. Now I got lucky in many ways to find a couple good rides and one outfuckingstanding one. When asked to race there, I make every effort possible.

#35 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

My word means a lot to me, and if I say I'm going to do something, I do it. It's a shame more people aren't like me these days.

I licke that! :)

#36 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,189 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

I do give No. 6 lots of credit for this. He's unshakably loyal to developing a winning team and has a track record of doing very well when he does. Not only that but then the members of that team learn and develop under him and become awesome sailors in their own right and they usually have fun in the process. You could say that this is one area where his tendency towards obsession pays dividends.

First off and with regards to your silly little video, it is not me you hate, it is the looking glass I hold up that you hate. The image you see in that looking glass, is your own. I have never done anything but to try and make you understand that and thus caution you to reform your behavior.

With regards to Shooting Star or any other boat I have ever sailed on. From my perspective a horizontal management scheme works best. Each member of the crew is responsible for their shit and getting it done right. They are responsible for seeing that one another gets it and when that doesn't happen, they are encouraged to talk through it all and fix it before it happens again. No one does anything "under" me, it is not my track record nor am I the crew's tutor. While I might give them advice, help them see the bigger picture as to their role, and remind them we are trying to "win a fukin' yacht race!" on occassion, their victories, our victories, are a team accomplishment. Every one of the crew have come to the same conclusion that winning is fun and that they personally don't want to be the reason or excuse for not arriving safely on the podium. It is really as simple as that.

Someday, and hopefully for your sake this will happen sooner rather than later, you will understand that no one person makes a boat competitive or gets them to the promised land. There are very few people who can step onto a mediocre boat and turn its fortunes around. Sailing just doesn't work that way. It is about committment to a program, committment to your fellow shipmates and ultimately committment to yourself to do the best you can do and help those around be the best they can be. If that is your definition of "obsession", then so be it.

As for the mythical Triple Crown of LIS seasonal trophies Mr. Dacapo, we can do better than that. Nice job just the same.

#37 Lee G

Lee G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

Just use common sense and don't be a douche. The rest will sort itself out.

#38 unShirley

unShirley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:surfing and sailing

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

I am fortunate that for the last 4 years I have been blessed with a pretty good progam.

I am loyal to a local F28 because the owner is intelligent, funny, never yells and lets me skipper about 30% of the time. We do pretty well.

I also race my Weta, a singlehander, about 1x a month. Singlehanding solves all of the issues in this forum. Unless, of course, your self-esteem is so low you can't stand to be around yourself.

Between the two boats I get to sail as often as my schedule (wife, yes, I know, I'm whipped) will allow.

Several years ago I was very loyal to a local J35 that had rotating newby crew. But the owners (husband and wife) were extremely gracious, good friends that I love dearly. We were a MOF boat with occasional, albeit rare, flashes of luck. But the owners were such great people that were so kind and generous that only a dirtbag would abandon them....er....wait....I did abandon them when they switched to "non-spinnaker" racing. Ok, I am a dirtbag, but they understood and were okay with it.

#39 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

First off and with regards to your silly little video, it is not me you hate, it is the looking glass I hold up that you hate. The image you see in that looking glass, is your own. I have never done anything but to try and make you understand that and thus caution you to reform your behavior.

With regards to Shooting Star or any other boat I have ever sailed on. From my perspective a horizontal management scheme works best. Each member of the crew is responsible for their shit and getting it done right. They are responsible for seeing that one another gets it and when that doesn't happen, they are encouraged to talk through it all and fix it before it happens again. No one does anything "under" me, it is not my track record nor am I the crew's tutor. While I might give them advice, help them see the bigger picture as to their role, and remind them we are trying to "win a fukin' yacht race!" on occassion, their victories, our victories, are a team accomplishment. Every one of the crew have come to the same conclusion that winning is fun and that they personally don't want to be the reason or excuse for not arriving safely on the podium. It is really as simple as that.

Someday, and hopefully for your sake this will happen sooner rather than later, you will understand that no one person makes a boat competitive or gets them to the promised land. There are very few people who can step onto a mediocre boat and turn its fortunes around. Sailing just doesn't work that way. It is about committment to a program, committment to your fellow shipmates and ultimately committment to yourself to do the best you can do and help those around be the best they can be. If that is your definition of "obsession", then so be it.

As for the mythical Triple Crown of LIS seasonal trophies Mr. Dacapo, we can do better than that. Nice job just the same.

They are not season Championship awards, they are ATTENDENCE Awards. if you show up to enough races you win!

#40 PATSYQPATSY

PATSYQPATSY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Interests:everything

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

My word means a lot to me, and if I say I'm going to do something, I do it. It's a shame more people aren't like me these days.

I licke that! :)

Turns out that the question has nothing to do with boats or women.

#41 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

They are not season Championship awards, they are ATTENDENCE Awards. if you show up to enough races you win!

Theires my expo..... macking frends evryware he gose..... :)

#42 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,189 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

No one would know that better than you.

#43 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,584 posts
  • Interests:walks on the beach,a good book,a good cry

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

t.

true dat....

#44 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,119 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

This thread better have sum PIX by Friday

what a let down

#45 Hack

Hack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

Theires my expo..... macking frends evryware he gose..... :)

It's gonna be a long winter.

#46 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,119 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

while we're waiting for sum PIX

How about sum YOGA for those Not @ Work :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :rolleyes:

#47 KRC

KRC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

This thread better have sum PIX by Friday

what a let down

You know what they say. You want a job done right..............
You mentioned "Friday" first but failed to post pics. Since all you want to do is whine about it, I'll do it for you.
Posted Image
Thanks for the (on topic) replies so far. Quite informative. Keep 'em coming.

#48 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,189 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

We have all seen the "cougar" pictures Woody is inclined to post. Please don't encourage him.

#49 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,119 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

We have all seen the "cougar" pictures Woody is inclined to post. Please don't encourage him.

ya don't click on the link

OLD FAT Hags just like I post ;)

#50 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:07 AM

Just use common sense and don't be a douche. The rest will sort itself out.

Yup. That pretty much cuts to the chase.

Posted Image

#51 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:09 AM

Turns out that the question has nothing to do with boats or women.

This is a seriously astute observation!

Very VERY good answer!

#52 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,364 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:12 AM

nah boat slut wasnt my invention, someone came up with that name long before me on these forums were even a wet dream

i primarily crew on 1-3 boats a season, one of which being my own. most of the programs i race with publish their schedules well ahead of time and ask who's coming. if there is a conflict and there is a boat that i'd rather sail on (generally just for the sake of mixing it up a little), i will hold off on committing for a little while and make sure that the regular ride has sufficient crew and im not letting them down. i generally have the A boat which i do most of my regattas on and base all other regattas/scheduling off of that. I can't remember the last time i fully backed out of a regatta to race with someone else. there have been times where i've been indecive (due to outside-sailing scheduling) to the point that i've told the boat owner to find someone else/recommend someone else, and then shortly before the regatta find out i can go, and sail with someone else. once you're in, you're in and you dont jump for another ride (exceptions for if maybe its months and months out). at the least, offer them someone who may be able to take your place.

Fixed it for you

#53 btbotfa

btbotfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:07 AM

Your dad seemed pretty happy pickin up Sappho number 14....isn't Sappho like the patron saint of lesbian muffdivers off the coast of Greece or something?

#54 btbotfa

btbotfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:08 AM

t.

true dat....

Triple Crown and a Moosehead in one season.....no one will ever touch that

#55 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,854 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:48 AM

Sail safe!

" I ain't gonna squash it And you don't need to wash it! "

"Of course I'll introduce you to Warren."

God only knows what I'll do for sluts next season.

#56 btbotfa

btbotfa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

Posted Image

Espo's christmas party?

#57 The Shadow

The Shadow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

t.

true dat....

Triple Crown and a Moosehead in one season.....no one will ever touch that

Pictures or it never happend.

#58 The Shadow

The Shadow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

Posted Image

Espo's christmas party?

Is that a lyre she is playing?

BTW, Shooting Star's foredeck could use a little of that going on. Just sayin'.

#59 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

Your dad seemed pretty happy pickin up Sappho number 14....isn't Sappho like the patron saint of lesbian muffdivers off the coast of Greece or something?

I think is was number 17, that's why I sent him

#60 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

I try to race as little as possible, Hustler does not see water from the 1st weekend of June until mid Sept, except for Block, which doesn't count towards the attendence awards.
And still nobody can beat us, I guess when you compile 90% of 1st place finishes, it really don't matter.
Unlike you who sails every distance and overnight to win, therefore Attendence Awards

#61 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

Posted Image

Espo's christmas party?

I guess you will find out!

#62 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,189 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

You never know.

#63 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

Sail safe!

And the theme song to an infamous red boat on Long Island Sound in the 90's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users